HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which available goalie do you think is the best viable option for the Bolts?

Old
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
While this is true I see no reason at all to give up two 1st rounders (including this year's 10th overall) plus Connolly for that package. Call me crazy but IMO it just doesn't work value-wise.
I'm not saying the trade was good. I'm just saying using the argument of players where they have been drafted is not valid at all. The trade wasn't good, especially giving up 2 first round picks. It should be on the quality position of the picks, and the quality of the player. Not where they were drafted. On HF your draft position is just as important as your actual skill and that is just freaking idiotic.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
I'm not saying the trade was good. I'm just saying using the argument of players where they have been drafted is not valid at all. The trade wasn't good, especially giving up 2 first round picks. It should be on the quality position of the picks, and the quality of the player. Not where they were drafted. On HF your draft position is just as important as your actual skill and that is just freaking idiotic.
This 1000 times, it really is amazing at how blindly valued these picks are.

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
I understand where your coming from but we are talking about players who are drafted only a year or two apart. The 10 pick this year should be close to similar value to the 10 next year or the 10 the year before it. Yes it also depends on the player and skills but if they're all still playing juniors I'd think value would be close, if one made it to the NHL and his draft year and someone is in the minors 3 years after his I think his value would be slightly less. I understand also that some teams groom their players for longer so it's hard to gauge some based on when they make the NHL. Trying to judge value on potential is and always will be a difficult thing to do and some players will live up to it and some will fail, there's just know great way of placing an actual value on players. Except if they're offersheeted and you know that one team thinks they're worth X amount of draft picks.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
tralsal12

More and more, I like the idea of bringing a goaltender like Vokoun in for a couple of years, keep the the ton of draft picks, and see what young, good goalie talent is available in the future?? Teams see that TB is loaded with picks, looking for young, good goaltending, and will try to take advantage of trying to get the picks!! Also, it will allow time to see how Todarski comes along?? In all, do not want to give up the 10 pick if a trade would happen for a goalie!!

Last edited by tralsal12: 04-30-2012 at 05:13 PM.
tralsal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:17 PM
tralsal12

This is just one of those things for commenting??????? If it could happen, if your TB, or LA in return, would you give up the whole draft this year for Quick?????? Or whatever additions???? Just for discussion????

Old
04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

A year ago at this time, (I was more occupied with the playoffs) my thinking was 'if not Roloson, then Vokoun'.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
A year ago at this time, (I was more occupied with the playoffs) my thinking was 'if not Roloson, then Vokoun'.
I miss the playoffs...

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 06:02 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralsal12 View Post
This is just one of those things for commenting??????? If it could happen, if your TB, or LA in return, would you give up the whole draft this year for Quick?????? Or whatever additions???? Just for discussion????
The only way Quick is moved is if he point-blank tells Lombardi he has no intention of continuing his career in LA after his contract year. And even then it would still costs a King's ransom.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
The only way Quick is moved is if he point-blank tells Lombardi he has no intention of continuing his career in LA after his contract year. And even then it would still costs a King's ransom.
I see what you did there...

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:11 AM
HedMonster 77

The Bruins want just a 2nd rounder for Thomas(that's what the INTERNET says) give them a 4th and Bergeron or just Garon, and bring up Tokarski to serve for a backup so he can learn faster and wait for one of the prospects to develop

HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 01:19 AM
tralsal12

I would give up a second for Tim Thomas as a stopgap!! Then start looking for young, good goal tending!! Plus, his contract is reasonable!!

Old
05-01-2012, 01:29 AM
HedMonster 77

give them 2nd rounder but a later one, because in the early part players like tanner pearson and Dansk will probably be available

Old
05-01-2012, 01:49 AM
tralsal12

I thought I read on a thread that there is a clause in TT contract that he can not be traded until after June 30th?? I guess that is where the idea of trading the 2nd round pick from now to the draft for the idea of a player to be named later?? It would be nice for a lower pick too!!

Old
05-01-2012, 03:34 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligthningstrikes View Post
The Bruins want just a 2nd rounder for Thomas(that's what the INTERNET says) give them a 4th and Bergeron or just Garon, and bring up Tokarski to serve for a backup so he can learn faster and wait for one of the prospects to develop
I don't know if Thomas would be such a good mentor. I mean, of course he's won the Cup and two Vezinas and a Conn Smythe Trophy and you only hear good things about his competitiveness and character.

It's just his very unique, unorthodox, overly aggressive playing style. He seems like the guy who does his own thing (and is good at it) but it's not really something you could teach others (instincts).

By the way, where's that "Thomas for a 2nd"-rumor stemming from?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:11 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
I don't know if Thomas would be such a good mentor. I mean, of course he's won the Cup and two Vezinas and a Conn Smythe Trophy and you only hear good things about his competitiveness and character.

It's just his very unique, unorthodox, overly aggressive playing style. He seems like the guy who does his own thing (and is good at it) but it's not really something you could teach others (instincts).

By the way, where's that "Thomas for a 2nd"-rumor stemming from?
it's not the most reliable source - puck me please. I know, i know but hey it's worth the shot - they won't take a big contract because they have lots of guys to resign, maybe 2nd rounder + 1-2 depth players

Old
05-01-2012, 07:33 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
it's not the most reliable source - puck me please. I know, i know but hey it's worth the shot - they won't take a big contract because they have lots of guys to resign, maybe 2nd rounder + 1-2 depth players
Philly's 2nd I could do straight up, 1-2 depth players is a big no. MAB is only signed depth player I'd have no problem moving, I doubt Boston has any use for him cause we really don't either.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:47 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Philly's 2nd I could do straight up, 1-2 depth players is a big no. MAB is only signed depth player I'd have no problem moving, I doubt Boston has any use for him cause we really don't either.
ok then Philly's 2nd for Thomas straight up, if a 2nd rounder is all they want

Old
05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
ok then Philly's 2nd for Thomas straight up, if a 2nd rounder is all they want
Fair enough. If a trade oppurtunity comes up forBernier or Schneider that is reasonable (I know it isnt realistic.) Then I would not look at Thomas. Also to take Thomas means SFY has enough confidence that Tik or Janus will be a ready NHL starter in one year or so. Harding still seems like the best option.

Old
05-01-2012, 03:39 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

To me, Thomas would be marginally better than Vokoun. The difference between the two is Vokoun can be aquired w/out a trade and probably for a lower cap hit too.

Also, I'm not saying the only reason TT looks good is because of the defense he plays behind, but Vokoun put up very respectable numbers w/out having Chara in front of him.

TT's very aggressive style works well on the Bruins, but how well would it match up with the way the Lightning play? Could be a disaster.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 03:40 PM
tralsal12

I agree, if a reasonable deal for CS, or JB is there, I would not sign TT!! However, if in any way we have to give up the 10th pick I am not for it, for any goalie, unless for
CS at this point(of goalies that are known to be available?)!!

Can we say that a TB goalie plan in order is: 1st option) Get CS, or JB for a reasonable trade, without the 10th pick(maybe for CS?), 2nd option) sign Vokoun, then start looking for young, good goalies, 3rd option), trade for Tim Thomas, then start looking for young, good goalies!!

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old
05-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Naming the INTERNET as a source...

I'll allow it.

There's only like 2-3 sites tops, right?

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
I agree, if a reasonable deal for CS, or JB is there, I would not sign TT!! However, if in any way we have to give up the 10th pick I am not for it, for any goalie, unless for
CS at this point(of goalies that are known to be available?)!!

Can we say that a TB goalie plan in order is: 1st option) Get CS, or JB for a reasonable trade, without the 10th pick(maybe for CS?), 2nd option) sign Vokoun, then start looking for young, good goalies, 3rd option), trade for Tim Thomas, then start looking for young, good goalies!!
I think 2nd option should be sign Harding, 3rd sign Vokoun and 4th acquire TT.

Old
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
tralsal12

How about signing Vokoun for a year, signing Harding, and trading Garon???

Old
05-01-2012, 07:58 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
How about signing Vokoun for a year, signing Harding, and trading Garon???
At minimum that would be a 8.5 mill cap hit for goalies. Too high

Old
05-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I agree with what most of you suggests, bring in a keeper that we can have for two-three years rather than a long-term solution, as I see it Schneider is too expensive, Harding isn't good enough in my book and im not sold on Bernier either.

I still have faith in Tokarski and Janus isn't looking bad either, if we can get a guy like Vokoun we can spend a bit more to get a couple of good defensemen instead.