HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Chad Rau

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2004, 01:35 PM
CCTigers

vCash: 500
Chad Rau

Does anyone know anything about this kid? He's been at the top of the USHL in points per game, and right now is #2 in overall scoring with 14g 15a in 22 games. He's only 17, so he's among the youngest players in the league. He and Brock Bradford are the only 2 guys born in '87 at the top of the leagues scoring charts, and it appears that Chad is doing it without any help on a horrible team.

On paper he looks very impressive, but what kind of a game does he play? Is he more physical or more of a finesse players?

Old
12-10-2004, 05:14 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCTigers
Does anyone know anything about this kid? He's been at the top of the USHL in points per game, and right now is #2 in overall scoring with 14g 15a in 22 games. He's only 17, so he's among the youngest players in the league. He and Brock Bradford are the only 2 guys born in '87 at the top of the leagues scoring charts, and it appears that Chad is doing it without any help on a horrible team.

On paper he looks very impressive, but what kind of a game does he play? Is he more physical or more of a finesse players?
He is headed to Colorado Springs next fall. I did some research on him, but I need to get to my home computer to get all of it.

Old
12-10-2004, 06:03 PM
CCTigers

I'd really appreciate it. As you can tell from my user name and location I'm a CC fan (and graduate), so I'm very excited about him. It's tough to tell a lot from just stats, even if they're fantastic.

Old
12-10-2004, 07:36 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
I'd really appreciate it. As you can tell from my user name and location I'm a CC fan (and graduate), so I'm very excited about him. It's tough to tell a lot from just stats, even if they're fantastic.
I thought I had more info on him...but this is what I wrote last week. If I find more, I will pass it along:

Three freshman on board with Colorado College for 2005-06 season; two more to follow in 2006-07 season

The Tigers signed a total of five players to commitment letters in November. Chad Rau, Andreas Vlassopoulos and defenseman Cody Lampl will join Colorado College to start the 2005-06 season. Defenseman Nate Prosser and Brendan Connelly have also rendered their verbal commitments to the program, effective fall 2006.

Rau is playing with Des Moines (USHL) and is currently tied for the league lead in scoring. Vlassopoulos is off to a great start with the U.S. NTDP, where he just had a solid showing in the 2004 Compuware Four Nations Tournament, where his squad took home gold. After bouncing around a couple teams in the USHL, Lampl has played this season with Chicago where he has 11 points (1 goal, 10 assists), 20 penalty minutes in 22 games.

Prosser, a Elk River, MN, native will spend another season with the Sioux Falls (USHL) before joining the Tigers. Recognized as one the top defenseman in the league, he will become the fourth Stampede alumni player to play collegiate hockey at Colorado College. Sertich, Jesse Stokke and Scott Thauwald are currently playing with the Tigers all have ties to the Sioux Falls program.

Connelly is the final player to add to the list. He is also coming out of the USHL, where plays for the Tri-City Storm. He will play with the Storm before and after his high school hockey season at Bloomington Jefferson High School, where he is currently a senior. During the 2005-06 hockey season Connelly will be a member of the Storm before heading to Colorado College in the fall of 2006. He is the second Storm player to commit to Colorado College. Former Storm defenseman Jack Hillen is currently a freshman for the Tigers.

Old
12-10-2004, 10:46 PM
CCTigers

Thanks Jeff. I'm familiar with all of the guys' stats, so if you get any more information I would greatly appreciate it! It's tough to get any details about how guys play other than stats.

Old
12-10-2004, 11:18 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I'm familiar with all of the guys' stats, so if you get any more information I would greatly appreciate it! It's tough to get any details about how guys play other than stats.
Yeah not a problem. I'm keeping an eye on Polaski because he is a Phoenix prospect (my area of responsibility here). As well, I am always interested with the likes of Sertich, Zaba(LA), Petiot(LA), and Sterling(ATL).

Old
12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
PuckFan01

Quote:
He is a smaller, finesse player. He is not a physical player at all. He doesn't have great speed but skates well. He is a good player but not an elite player compared to some of the other kids of his age that are coming out of Minnesota. His success this year is a bit surprising. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain it.

Old
12-14-2004, 01:24 PM
CCTigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia
Yeah not a problem. I'm keeping an eye on Polaski because he is a Phoenix prospect (my area of responsibility here). As well, I am always interested with the likes of Sertich, Zaba(LA), Petiot(LA), and Sterling(ATL).
Feel free to send me an e-mail if you have any questions about any of them. I've missed about 5 CC home games in the last 10 years, but I'm certainly not a scout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFan01
He is a good player but not an elite player compared to some of the other kids of his age that are coming out of Minnesota. His success this year is a bit surprising. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain it.
Thanks for the comments, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. CC has done well with smaller, finesse players. Marty Sertich was Mr. Hockey a few years ago in Minnesota and is currently the #1 player in D-1 in Points per Game. He's a smaller, finesse player.
One question - if Chad's not an elise player compared to other kids his age, how has he made it to the top of the USHL scoring stats without (seemingly) any support? Are those other kids not playing in the USHL, or are they struggling there? I've been surprised by the numbers he's putting up, but don't know how he's doing it. Usually the top USHL players are strong college players, but that's not always the case.
Thanks again!

Old
12-17-2004, 11:53 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFan01
He is a smaller, finesse player. He is not a physical player at all. He doesn't have great speed but skates well. He is a good player but not an elite player compared to some of the other kids of his age that are coming out of Minnesota. His success this year is a bit surprising. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain it.
I dont really agree with you saying that Chad wasnt an elite player in the High School league. I go to Eden Prairie High School where Chad played last year and this kid was one of the best players in Minnesota last year. He would have been a frontrunner for Mr. Hockey this year. He is definetley a more of a finesse player but to say he isnt physical or doesnt have great speed is very suprising to me because last year he was physical and was arguably our fastest player. He has a unblievable work ehtic, one that was unmatched at the high school level, great shot, great hockey sense and hes an awsome leader in the lockeroom and on the ice. Hes just a great all around player offense and defense hes great. He should be a real nice pickup for CC in the future. I wish he would have gone to Gophers, they were after him pretty hard last year. Our high school team really misses him this year.

Old
12-18-2004, 12:29 AM
PuckFan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
I dont really agree with you saying that Chad wasnt an elite player in the High School league. I go to Eden Prairie High School where Chad played last year and this kid was one of the best players in Minnesota last year. He would have been a frontrunner for Mr. Hockey this year. He is definetley a more of a finesse player but to say he isnt physical or doesnt have great speed is very suprising to me because last year he was physical and was arguably our fastest player. He has a unblievable work ehtic, one that was unmatched at the high school level, great shot, great hockey sense and hes an awsome leader in the lockeroom and on the ice. Hes just a great all around player offense and defense hes great. He should be a real nice pickup for CC in the future. I wish he would have gone to Gophers, they were after him pretty hard last year. Our high school team really misses him this year.
Minnesota wasn't after him the way you are making it sound. I am sure they were watching him but that isn't unique if you are a good player in Minnesota. The Gophers keep an eye on a lot of players. The two Colorado schools are the ones that wanted Rau most. Minnesota has been focused on much bigger name players and were not about to use a scholarship on Rau. Minnesota has a very good chance of getting a great player like Phil Kessel and they have been working on his situation for a while. They aren't going to spend a scholarship on a player like Rau when they can get an incredible talent like Kessel.

I get the feeling your comments revolve more around Rau being a past classmate at EP as opposed to somebody who can give a well rounded critique. I have seen him enough to know that he is a good player but I wouldn't consider him a gamebreaking elite player. For a kid who isn't very big, he isn't that quick or fast and he is not anything close to being a player that plays physical.

I do give him a lot of credit for how he has played the first few months of the season at Des Moines. He is having a good year.

Closed Thread