World Championships

Old
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
Wow. What a joke Getzlaf has become.
How exactly has he become a joke? He did nothing incriminating in that video at all. People are allowed to go out drinking in night clubs every now and then.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
How exactly has he become a joke? He did nothing incriminating in that video at all. People are allowed to go out drinking in night clubs every now and then.
Not to mention Getzlaf didn't have a game the next day. He had some fun on his day off. Oh noes!

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:41 PM
la patineuse

Quote:
He didn't exactly have a stellar game against team USA and came close to getting into a fight in a bar? He's there to represent his country in the WCs, not to party and get in bar fights.

la patineuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by la patineuse View Post
He didn't exactly have a stellar game against team USA and came close to getting into a fight in a bar? Yes a joke.
A poor game and a rumor that he almost got into a fight makes him a joke? Ok then.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Carlson plays a much better 2 way game than Ellis, Vatanen, and Rielly.
Huh? I think you missed the point.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Huh? I think you missed the point.
The point I got was: As long as Fowler's partner has talent, you'll get a good D pairing out of it.

Is that right?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Depch

Getzlaf is a joke. I've been following him for a few years now more because of Teemu obviously and the guy has a terrible attitude, I was so angry at him already last season not putting in the effort and let Teemu carry the team when he's the one that could do it. Getzy had problems in junior with his work ethics and it was known before he got drafted and last season of hockey in NHL showed he's totally back to that and there has been glimpses of it before as well. The only reason for him to go to the World Champs is apparently be trying to secure a spot at 2014 Olympics because no way he's working out there and putting in the effort, just floating, but a dangerous floater when he gets on the offensive. This guy is so lazy on the ice I don't see a point for him to wear that C on the Canadian team nor the Ducks, how on earth did that happen.

Yeah, potentially he can be a menace, he's got all the tools, but if he only becomes such when he feels like putting in the extra work I'd get rid of him asap. Even though there is a chance he might want to show the Canadian GM next season that I want to make the Olympic team too, so maybe he will work it out and get the job done, doubt it.

Depch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The point I got was: As long as Fowler's partner has talent, you'll get a good D pairing out of it.

Is that right?
Correct, I think he plays up to the level of his partner.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:49 AM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depch View Post
Getzlaf is a joke. I've been following him for a few years now more because of Teemu obviously and the guy has a terrible attitude, I was so angry at him already last season not putting in the effort and let Teemu carry the team when he's the one that could do it. Getzy had problems in junior with his work ethics and it was known before he got drafted and last season of hockey in NHL showed he's totally back to that and there has been glimpses of it before as well. The only reason for him to go to the World Champs is apparently be trying to secure a spot at 2014 Olympics because no way he's working out there and putting in the effort, just floating, but a dangerous floater when he gets on the offensive. This guy is so lazy on the ice I don't see a point for him to wear that C on the Canadian team nor the Ducks, how on earth did that happen.

Yeah, potentially he can be a menace, he's got all the tools, but if he only becomes such when he feels like putting in the extra work I'd get rid of him asap. Even though there is a chance he might want to show the Canadian GM next season that I want to make the Olympic team too, so maybe he will work it out and get the job done, doubt it.
Teemu, for one reason or another, passes on the "C". I hope with Bruce now heading up the team, he gives it to someone that has more drive.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Correct, I think he plays up to the level of his partner.
That's not good. He is supposed to be the guy other guys try to play up to...after he develops.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
That's not good. He is supposed to be the guy other guys try to play up to...after he develops.
At 20, that's not a big problem.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Pyy83

According to finnish newspaper "Helsingin Sanomat" Getzlaf was almost in a fight on Finnish nightclub at 3 AM.

He and apparently some finnish guys had some war of words and the guys got hold of each other before the bouncers broke up the situation. No strikes were thrown.

A viewer of the situation tells that Getlaf yelled "3 minutes and you are all flat on the ground"

http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Kanadan+NHL...a1305561450702

Pyy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Finnpin

About the story Getzlaf almost getting into fight in a bar was written by a media MTV3 who always writes stories with colorful pen (BS tabloid media often) --> other medias took their "news" from them so I really don't think it's much... Who haven't never had some same stuff in bar?

And OMG they were dancing.
OMG they talked to girls.
OMG.
Omg.
omg.
om
o

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:13 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
About the story Getzlaf almost getting into fight in a bar was written by a media MTV3 who always writes stories with colorful pen (BS tabloid media often) --> other medias took their "news" from them so I really don't think it's much... Who haven't never had some same stuff in bar?

OMG.
Omg.
omg.
om
o
This. Some call him a bad captain because they went out for a beer... Also MTV3 forgot to mention that Getzlaf is married and has a kid so is he going to throw that away for some Finnish teenager?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Sirquacksalot
¡Viva Los Patos!

Quote:

OMG.
Omg.
omg.
om
o
"Hi, we're Canadian millionaires from America. This guy was the MVP of a major athletic sports league last year. Wanna go make adult relations in the bathroom?"

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Paul4587

Quote:

If Getzlaf is such a joke, why does Selanne always go out of his way to praise him in interviews when he's brought up? Why did his teammates vote him in as captain over Koivu? Why did Boudreau say he's the best captain he's ever coached? Why did he get named the captain of the Canadian team for the WCs?

Big deal he had a rough year, players have down years all the time. It certainly wasn't from a lack of effort, anyone who actually watched the games could see that he was trying out there.

The guy is the best centre the franchise has ever had yet so many people go out of their way to criticize him every chance they get. It's getting old. The Ducks are lucky to have him and would be much worse off without him.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:24 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
If Getzlaf is such a joke, why does Selanne always go out of his way to praise him in interviews when he's brought up? Why did his teammates vote him in as captain over Koivu? Why did Boudreau say he's the best captain he's ever coached? Why did he get named the captain of the Canadian team for the WCs?

Big deal he had a rough year, players have down years all the time. It certainly wasn't from a lack of effort, anyone who actually watched the games could see that he was trying out there.

The guy is the best centre the franchise has ever had yet so many people go out of their way to criticize him every chance they get. It's getting old. The Ducks are lucky to have him and would be much worse off without him.
Man...we tend to not see eye to eye all the time, but this post? Flawless.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:30 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

Is that right?
Well my point is when you have a guy like Fowler playing with a guy like Visnovsky or Vatanen or Schultz or Ellis or Ebert...whoever you want to list that plays a game of hockey that focuses heavily on offense from the blueline, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't know how this differs on Euro ice, but apparently it does. And any time we paired Fowler with Visnovsky (who had plenty of talent in 10-11) it was just a mess. Even if we pick Rielly and he's the next Erik Karlsson, I'd still rather see Fowler paired with a Sbisa, Beauchemin, Clark, Lydman type.

One game where Fowler played with an OFD and didn't have a disappointing result and all of a sudden everyone's drooling at the thought of an OFD duo. Those (when not on the powerplay) tend to be a recipe for disaster.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Well my point is when you have a guy like Fowler playing with a guy like Visnovsky or Vatanen or Schultz or Ellis or Ebert...whoever you want to list that plays a game of hockey that focuses heavily on offense from the blueline, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't know how this differs on Euro ice, but apparently it does. And any time we paired Fowler with Visnovsky (who had plenty of talent in 10-11) it was just a mess. Even if we pick Rielly and he's the next Erik Karlsson, I'd still rather see Fowler paired with a Sbisa, Beauchemin, Clark, Lydman type.

One game where Fowler played with an OFD and didn't have a disappointing result and all of a sudden everyone's drooling at the thought of an OFD duo. Those (when not on the powerplay) tend to be a recipe for disaster.
I didn't notice any deficiencies when he was playing with Ellis, maybe I caught the wrong games.

Edit: It was also more than one game. They had good chemistry in the two games they had this year, and he didn't look bad in the time he spent with him last year.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Depch

Quote:

It would not be very wise to talk crap about your teammates, people always talk high about their teammates how great players they are when asked. But Selänne hinted many times about the lack of effort the team puts in, people not even trying, did not point it to anyone, but everyone must remember this and I think it reflects Getzlaf. I don't think the guy is a cancer or anything in the dressing room but a nice bloke and good to come along with, but I bet the players decided to vote him to wear the C so the pressure could keep him going on for all year, surely it was not because of the effort he puts in to the game.

It's pretty much a discgrace also how he floats as the Canadian captain at the moment, good for us, but never ever have I seen such an effortless dude captaining the Canadian team. And it really is not only about an off year as he always heats up during the spring only, but this year it seemed to really hit the rock bottom, maybe Carlyle and him working their ***** off early season has had something to do with it, maybe not, but looking the broadcasts it does not seem to be he puts in effort like you said.

All this said I really do agree that he is the best center to ever have played with the Ducks, guy could put up 100 pts year after year if he just had his mental game right, such a danger always on the offensive but pfft. His problems seem to be back from the junior years (was it really ever gone?) and that's no good unless he really changes.

Depch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:21 AM
mirasane

Quote:
About the story Getzlaf almost getting into fight in a bar was written by a media MTV3 who always writes stories with colorful pen (BS tabloid media often) --> other medias took their "news" from them so I really don't think it's much...
MTV3 sure is like that. But Helsingin Sanomat is not an exaggarating tabloid but instead the biggest national conservative newspaper. They didn't take quote MTV3 but had their own sources. HS is known to be reliable media and they don't publish rumours. This is what HS wrote about it: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Kanadan+NHL...a1305561450702

According to HS Getz was threatening to level 4-5 guys in 3 minutes.

Going to a club and dancing is nothing people should judge. But I think Getz's behaviour goes beyond that. Before judging too much it would be nice to hear the whole story. Obviously my countrymen have done some provocation at least because nobody usually gets mad without a cause. And that precise nightclub (The Circus) isn't known to be one of the more classy clubs of Helsinki...

Members of Team USA were also partying in other nightclub. Their team publicist said that players are allowed to do so if they want. The only rule is: Keep yourself in good shape. They trust players are professional enough to know not to drink too much. Publicist said they also have another rule: Win every game!

When there was WC tournament in Helsinki 2003 I met some Canadian players (Mike Comrie, Sean Burke, Jay Bouwmeester, etc) in a nightclub. Though they were partying they weren't drinking too much and left the tournament with gold medals with them. So partying isn't always a bad thing.

mirasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:09 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:

This team is 100000 times better with Getzlaf then without him. Getting rid of him and not having another #1 center lined up would be the worst move the franchise could ever make.

tl:dr? Basically, #1 centers don't grow on trees.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:

Great post. Wonder what a lot of the people who criticize Getzlaf all the time would say with Koivu as the #1 center going forward.........

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Misleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirasane View Post
HS is known to be reliable media and they don't publish rumours.
Well maybe they don't publish rumours but they publish false(in my opinion) information or color their stories so they fit in their agenda(well all newspapers do that). For example when left wing extremist riot and assault police officers they claim that right wing extremists were the ones who did that.

Misleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Disappointed by Getzlaf's game so far in the tournament. WTH did he do last off-season, I do wonder...

Last edited by Lord Flashheart: 05-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote