HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

ESPN America ends on July 31st 2013 - No NHL on TV in much of Europe next season

Old
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

vCash: 500
ESPN America ends on July 31st 2013 - No NHL on TV in much of Europe next season

http://www.espnamerica.com/gb/f2/help-feedback/faq/

It has long been discussed, but now it is official. ESPN America officially terminates its service at the end of July 2013. As a result NHL and MLB will be without a TV presence in much of Europe at least in 2013/14. For baseball it creates the rather awkward scenario of the World Series not being on TV when the first 2/3 of the regular season are featured on ESPNA.

Last edited by TheMoreYouKnow: 05-09-2013 at 12:53 PM.
TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Well.... here's hoping that the NHL tries to find a new partner(s) over there for broadcasting games. Last thing they need is to lose whatever media grounds they have over there to the already physically encroaching KHL.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Finnpin

I enjoyed some talk shows they had and NCAA sports...so not nice to read this.

Sportsnation was best but that haven't been on air for ages...plus it lost charm when Michelle Beadle left.

NHL not available in my region and MLB I watch from MLB.tv.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Roundhead

I know they are currently covering AHL but I didn't think they were still showing NHL. I guess it varies from country to country.

For me the channel went down hill as soon as ESPN took over from NASN. No, I'm not upset they stopped covering CFL, it was the whole identity of the channel changed from showing, you know, actual sports, to blowhard "journalists" yelling across a studio at one another. It was also irritating how unresponsive they were to subscribers over the ridiculous ticker along the bottom of the screen. Nobody needs that in this day and age, especially in Europe where we've had teletext for decades, yet even when watching non-live baseball games played the previous night (the wee small hours in Europe) the ticker, which must have been live, would give away the result of the game they were showing. ESPN never had any respect for its European audience.

Roundhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

This will mean that those who have ESPN America in their country and are facing blackouts will have those removed.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Finnpin

NASN was great.

I wonder will European markets see something similar (ESPN/NASN) in the future. I hope.

Old
05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

ESPN America still showed NHL in most of continental Europe i.e. countries where it would be difficult to find a local partner for NHL broadcasts who is willing to pay what the rights holders demand.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
This will mean that those who have ESPN America in their country and are facing blackouts will have those removed.
yup, very selfishly I am glad about this. Just gotta hope they don't sell it to sky to show 2 games a week or even some obscure sports network like eurosport 2 or Sport1+, like you brits are having.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Sky doesn't want to pick up anything?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

NHL usually negotiates Euro TV deals over the summer. So, don't worry. There may be an agreement before the puck drops in the fall.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:34 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
NHL usually negotiates Euro TV deals over the summer. So, don't worry. There may be an agreement before the puck drops in the fall.
I was about to point this out. Espn America did not have much effect over here as it took over sports that was being shown elsewhere.
The bigger hit for me was the one sport it showed that no one else showed--CFL football live!

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:48 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
People are worrying that agreements will be reached... and NHL Gamecenter Live will be blacked out. I think a couple of seasons ago, people who signed on before the agreements got to keep their subscriptions. Everybody else was told to go local.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:43 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

without ESPN america i expect the NHL to search for more country-by-country deals.
it's a lot more work and moving parts, but i suspect it ends with more revenue.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Finnpin

NCAA basketball and football was just picked by Finnish sports channel URHOtv. I already have that channel so this is better than nothing.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
without ESPN america i expect the NHL to search for more country-by-country deals.
it's a lot more work and moving parts, but i suspect it ends with more revenue.
Tough job especially trying to land NHL to a non-hockey markets.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
tony d
The Future

Hockey's pretty big over there, I think they'll find a channel to broadcast the NHL on.

05-10-2013, 09:49 AM
tobo

I see three possibilities for our market:
1. One of the Digital TV distributors decides to pick up NHL hockey. Chances of that happening is 0%.
2. Another NASN/ESPNA clone emerges and is being picked up by our distributors.
3. Most likely NHL hockey won't be broadcasted anymore, in which case I might finally be tempted to buy Gamecenter Live because I wouldn't have to deal with blackouts anymore.

Frankly, I don't mind that this channel disappears. I stopped paying extra for that sports package anyway. On the other hand many NFL fans go nuts right now. Apparantly, those rights are held by one of the two main TV distributors and they show games with a one day delay. Those fans will all have to revert back to illegal streams.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Sky doesn't want to pick up anything?
From my memory in the UK they only show the odd EIHL game each month and the finals and that's it. I'd like it if Sky picked up some games - or BT sports a new broadband channel but I highly doubt they will which is a shame because that'd be acceptable if they picked up a certain number of games a week or month etc.

Selfishly I hope they don't because then it means less blackouts for people in Europe but we have Premier Sports still sadly which means we'll still have but at least if Sky picked some up we'd have more options. BT Sport picking up games would fantastic though as it's a free channel for certain customers (Think it's if you have a BT Broadband connection/box - otherwise it's about 15 cheaper than Sky to subscribe)

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

You should look at it beyond the selfish scope of a GCL subscriber - that's the hardest of the hardcore who would use whatever avenue available to watch it - because simply retreating to serving them won't help grow or market the game.

Nobody who "likes" hockey but doesn't have a team he's a huge fan of gets GCL hence those people who have future potential as fans are shut out.

The number of countries where it's unlikely a local channel will buy into the NHL is actually quite big and it encompasses two huge markets in France and possibly Germany. In other words exactly the markets where hockey isn't big yet will basically be entirely shut off from the league.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:50 PM
tobo

According to the NHL website, the following nations will be deprived of NHL hockey when ESPN America disappears: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey and sub-Saharan Africa.

Most of these nations aren't particulary keen on hockey. Therefore, I can't imagine the NHL finding many broadcast partners in these countries individually, if any. Channels who might be interested would probably only offer a bargain because they know there aren't any competitors for the rights. This means the league desperatly needs a new pan-European partner if they want to raise visibility of their product. There's just one problem: does that channel even exist? Eurosport 2 seems the most natural fit, but I just can't see them offering much for the rights, which leads me to believe NHL hockey will disappear from TV altogether. Besides Eurosport, there's no pan-European sports dedicated channel.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:25 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

The rights are with a Swedish sports marketing agency which only bought them to get some money out of a deal with Scandinavian premium channels. I don't know how much ESPN America spent on the rights for 12/13 but the coverage is very scaled back in comparison to previous years.

Local channels and even Eurosport 2 have the additional problem that they don't dare to simply run original audio. They insist on having their own commentators which naturally makes the broadcasts more expensive (a commentator's shift costs a relevant sum in a country where a NHL game at 1 am might yield barely measurable audiences)

Old
05-11-2013, 04:15 AM
HabsByTheBay

It's a darn shame. People should not underestimate ESPNA's ability to turn casual fans into hardcore fans, if it wasn't for their Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts when ESPNA still carried the NHL in the UK, I wouldn't have returned to the status of hardcore hockey fan. It was a real treat.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Bluebirds Boyo

UK won't be a problem. BT and News Corp are building up for a war and will sign up anything they can.

Bluebirds Boyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:45 AM
BalticWarrior

That is ****ing stupid,i got to see alot of B`s games in ESPN america,now i will have to search for ****** streams online,GREAT!

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 03:42 PM
tobo

I thought the Swedish channel Viasat is available in the Baltic?