HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Markham Arena II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2012, 06:37 AM
  #251
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotone View Post
A second team in Toronto is a stupid idea and I personally hope it never happens. Alot of fans in the area yes, but they are either leafs fans or fans of other teams. i think one pretty bad team is enough for us torontonians thank you very much
Second team would make almost as much as the Leafs, Hamilton as you say too far to attract Toronto fans, . Anyway believe it or not it's the Sabres that will kill off any Hamilton team.

Funny how that works apparently all MLSE owners past present and future would kill any Hamilton bid for a team, yet all Sabre owners past and present are ok with it.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:06 AM
  #252
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 14,228
vCash: 500
Public Meeting
Wednesday June 27th 2012

Presentation
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connec...7bf380de9e677b

Transportation Plan, including plan for additional GO Trains during events
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connec...49f380de9e677b

GTA Centre, early drawings and renderings
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connec...def380de9e677b


htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:52 AM
  #253
DopeyFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 737
Those are some bad looking concepts lol

DopeyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:47 PM
  #254
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post

I still want to know why a billionaire and his private business partners need public funds to make this happen. They clearly have the money needed to build their own arena completely independent of public financing, so why don't they? Do they believe that, in the absence of public funding, a major arena in Markham won't be profitable in the long term? I suspect that the town's eagerness (11-2 vote) to go ahead with the project is just the result of politicians and others eager to attach their name to a big, visible, impressive project, regardless of the costs and benefits.
Because without a team it may only make financial sense to spend $325 million. Besides getting someone else to put up half the money you double your return on investment.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:49 PM
  #255
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Because without a team it may only make financial sense to spend $325 million. Besides getting someone else to put up half the money you double your return on investment.
Glendale II, without a team.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
  #256
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Public Meeting
Wednesday June 27th 2012

Presentation
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connec...7bf380de9e677b

Transportation Plan, including plan for additional GO Trains during events
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connec...49f380de9e677b

GTA Centre, early drawings and renderings
http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/connec...def380de9e677b

If you open the first presentation go to page 24. Apparently they expect this development to attract some hot women.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
  #257
JMROWE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Second team would make almost as much as the Leafs, Hamilton as you say too far to attract Toronto fans, . Anyway believe it or not it's the Sabres that will kill off any Hamilton team.

Funny how that works apparently all MLSE owners past present and future would kill any Hamilton bid for a team, yet all Sabre owners past and present are ok with it.
Actually 2nd team in Toronto (GTA.) will not make no where near as much money as the leafs would in fact they would lose money because there is so much compition in Toronto (GTA.) in the sports & entertainment market . Like the Leafs , Raptors , Marlies , Rock , Steelheads , Battalion , Argonauts , Blue Jays , Racetracks & not to mention all the Theaters , Concert halls , Amphitheatres & a future Casino & Resort . Toronto (GTA.) just can not support or handle a 2nd NHL. team because they just don't have the population for it & lets be honest Toronto (GTA.) is no New York , Los Angeles or Chicago that have the populations in the 10's of millions to handle & support mulitble teams in the same sport Toronto (GTA.) dose not .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
  #258
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Actually 2nd team in Toronto (GTA.) will not make no where near as much money as the leafs would in fact they would lose money because there is so much compition in Toronto (GTA.) in the sports & entertainment market . Like the Leafs , Raptors , Marlies , Rock , Steelheads , Battalion , Argonauts , Blue Jays , Racetracks & not to mention all the Theaters , Concert halls , Amphitheatres & a future Casino & Resort . Toronto (GTA.) just can not support or handle a 2nd NHL. team because they just don't have the population for it & lets be honest Toronto (GTA.) is no New York , Los Angeles or Chicago that have the populations in the 10's of millions to handle & support mulitble teams in the same sport Toronto (GTA.) dose not .
there is too much demand for hockey in the GTA for one team to satisfy it. Also, there are enough anti-Leafs Torontonians to fill a second arena to have a second fan base. Lastly, with all the transplants around the GTA there will be plenty of people who want to see NHL games but don't want to pay Leafs prices. The problem you would run into is there would always be plenty of opposing teams fans in the arena

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
  #259
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
there is too much demand for hockey in the GTA for one team to satisfy it. Also, there are enough anti-Leafs Torontonians to fill a second arena to have a second fan base. Lastly, with all the transplants around the GTA there will be plenty of people who want to see NHL games but don't want to pay Leafs prices. The problem you would run into is there would always be plenty of opposing teams fans in the arena
I agree with this post 100 %. I live in the GTA, but hate the Leafs. I would never pay a dime for any of their merchandise and never attend Leafs games. I am an Oilers fan and a few times a year I fly to Edmonton for Oilers games. I also attend junior (OHL) games for the Steelheads, the Battalion, and sometimes the Barrie Colts. I have been to a few Marlies games when the Oilers farm team is in town. However, if Toronto was to get a second NHL team I would likely adopt them as my second favourite team and would attend a good number of games and buy merchandise. My kids would likely grow up as fans of this second GTA team as well.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
  #260
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRt wEst tomf00lery View Post
I agree with this post 100 %. I live in the GTA, but hate the Leafs. I would never pay a dime for any of their merchandise and never attend Leafs games. I am an Oilers fan and a few times a year I fly to Edmonton for Oilers games. I also attend junior (OHL) games for the Steelheads, the Battalion, and sometimes the Barrie Colts. I have been to a few Marlies games when the Oilers farm team is in town. However, if Toronto was to get a second NHL team I would likely adopt them as my second favourite team and would attend a good number of games and buy merchandise. My kids would likely grow up as fans of this second GTA team as well.
If you don't mind me asking how old are you? I only ask because I am 37 and when I was a kid in Richmond Hill it seemed like everyone was an Oilers fan (pre-dynasty). I moved to the states and lost touch with hockey for a while before getting back into it in 96 and so I went back to being an Oilers fan, unfortunately missing the dynasty. I just came back to Toronto 28 years later and the Leafs still suck, but it seems like they have more fans than they did back then

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:49 PM
  #261
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRt wEst tomf00lery View Post
I agree with this post 100 %. I live in the GTA, but hate the Leafs. I would never pay a dime for any of their merchandise and never attend Leafs games. I am an Oilers fan and a few times a year I fly to Edmonton for Oilers games. I also attend junior (OHL) games for the Steelheads, the Battalion, and sometimes the Barrie Colts. I have been to a few Marlies games when the Oilers farm team is in town. However, if Toronto was to get a second NHL team I would likely adopt them as my second favourite team and would attend a good number of games and buy merchandise. My kids would likely grow up as fans of this second GTA team as well.
The fundamental problem of a second team in T.O lies exactly in this statement... Greater Torontoans ( lol ) have already favorite teams if not the leafs, the habs, sens, oilers, bruins, pens... The team would probably attract fan-fare but not more than Ottawa imo, probably less in fact.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:02 AM
  #262
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
If you don't mind me asking how old are you? I only ask because I am 37 and when I was a kid in Richmond Hill it seemed like everyone was an Oilers fan (pre-dynasty). I moved to the states and lost touch with hockey for a while before getting back into it in 96 and so I went back to being an Oilers fan, unfortunately missing the dynasty. I just came back to Toronto 28 years later and the Leafs still suck, but it seems like they have more fans than they did back then
I am 29, but I did not grow up in the GTA. I am like the many thousands of others who moved here from the Maritimes for work after university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
The fundamental problem of a second team in T.O lies exactly in this statement... Greater Torontoans ( lol ) have already favorite teams if not the leafs, the habs, sens, oilers, bruins, pens... The team would probably attract fan-fare but not more than Ottawa imo, probably less in fact.
I fail to see how this would be a problem. Of course hockey fans already have a favourite team. That's only logical. Do you think that existing hockey fans in every market didn't already have a favourite team when the league expanded to their city? Even cities like Edmonton, Calgary, and as you mentioned Ottawa have had this issue. To this day a lot of the older people in these cities are still Leafs or Habs fans.

The point I was making is that I would go to games and spend money on the team merchandise. I can also see how a number of people in my peer group would do the same. Because of this, in about a decade or so there would logically be a bunch of young fans of the new team as most likely the majority of our children would grow up to be fans of the new team as we all know that the team you root for tends to get passed down from one generation to the next.

I see lots of potential for success for a second team in the GTA.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  #263
JMROWE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
I don't think the NHL. has any intrest in putting a 2nd team in Toronto for the same reasons I said yesterday also I belive if & when the NHL. puts a 2nd team in southern ontario its going to be in area that MLSE. can live with , where the most demand is & is also in a centrelized location where everyone in all the unserved markets can get to & I can only think of 1 location that fits all 3 & that place is Hamilton not Markham in my opinion Toronto (GTA.) is just being greedy & is attempting to bite off more than they can chew . In this persons opinion I hope they choke on it & all the people of Markham are left with is a 400 million dollar white elephant & if they where smart they won't build it because there is no way MLSE. will allow a 2nd NHL. team to take root there .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
  #264
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
I don't think the NHL. has any intrest in putting a 2nd team in Toronto for the same reasons I said yesterday also I belive if & when the NHL. puts a 2nd team in southern ontario its going to be in area that MLSE. can live with , where the most demand is & is also in a centrelized location where everyone in all the unserved markets can get to & I can only think of 1 location that fits all 3 & that place is Hamilton not Markham in my opinion Toronto (GTA.) is just being greedy & is attempting to bite off more than they can chew . In this persons opinion I hope they choke on it & all the people of Markham are left with is a 400 million dollar white elephant & if they where smart they won't build it because there is no way MLSE. will allow a 2nd NHL. team to take root there .
Your entitlement mentality is what is wrong with this city.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
  #265
Bryan574
RON PAUL 2012
 
Bryan574's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton,ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Your entitlement mentality is what is wrong with this city.
Jmrowe is by no means a spokesman for Hamilton's NHL aspirations.

Bryan574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:23 PM
  #266
JMROWE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Your entitlement mentality is what is wrong with this city.
Thats where your wrong I do not have any sense entitlement mentality & by no means a spokesman for the city of Hamilton & just stateing the fact that Hamilton makes more economic sense to put a 2nd NHL. team in southern ontario given that Hamilton is in a centrelized location that can serve just not the Hamilton area but the Niagara region & southwestern Ontario thats where the demand is not Toronto (GTA.) . On the topic of sense of entitlement mentality Toronto (GTA.) has had that kind of mentality since forever they think they should have everything from an NFL. team , a Casino , 2nd NHL. team ect. & everybody else should just accept it & even somtimes pay for it & that is why everybody outside of Toronto (GTA.) hates them .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:56 PM
  #267
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Thats where your wrong I do not have any sense entitlement mentality & by no means a spokesman for the city of Hamilton & just stateing the fact that Hamilton makes more economic sense to put a 2nd NHL. team in southern ontario given that Hamilton is in a centrelized location that can serve just not the Hamilton area but the Niagara region & southwestern Ontario thats where the demand is not Toronto (GTA.) . On the topic of sense of entitlement mentality Toronto (GTA.) has had that kind of mentality since forever they think they should have everything from an NFL. team , a Casino , 2nd NHL. team ect. & everybody else should just accept it & even somtimes pay for it & that is why everybody outside of Toronto (GTA.) hates them .
No one cares enough about sports in this country. The city of Toronto has nothing to do with this plan.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
  #268
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Thats where your wrong I do not have any sense entitlement mentality & by no means a spokesman for the city of Hamilton & just stateing the fact that Hamilton makes more economic sense to put a 2nd NHL. team in southern ontario given that Hamilton is in a centrelized location that can serve just not the Hamilton area but the Niagara region & southwestern Ontario thats where the demand is not Toronto (GTA.) . On the topic of sense of entitlement mentality Toronto (GTA.) has had that kind of mentality since forever they think they should have everything from an NFL. team , a Casino , 2nd NHL. team ect. & everybody else should just accept it & even somtimes pay for it & that is why everybody outside of Toronto (GTA.) hates them .
I am of the mind set that both a second GTA team and Hamilton are feasible. Markham is far enough north of downtown Toronto that it won't impact Hamilton at all. The GTA is sprawling decidedly northward as such Markham makes sense for the future.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM
  #269
JMROWE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Remember a few months back the conference board of canada put out report saying the only NHL. markets left in Canada are Hamilton & Quebec City & a 2nd team in Toronto (GTA.) would be difficult to make happen given the costs ect. . But on the other hand some business experts are saying that there will be a team in Hamilton & 2nd team in Toronto within the next 10 years & if thats the case Quebec City & Hamilton will get teams before even think about putting a 2nd Toronto (GTA.) .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:00 PM
  #270
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
According to this GTA2 and Hamilton work.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17962611.html

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
  #271
WildGopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
According to this GTA2 and Hamilton work.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17962611.html
I've agreed with this article since it came out. The league is missing out by not getting in some of those markets.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
  #272
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick
 
The CyNick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,092
vCash: 500
I would go to games for a second team in Toronto.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:59 AM
  #273
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,802
vCash: 500
I have driven by the site a couple of times in the past month and haven't seen any signs of impending construction which is strange since it is supposed to break ground next month.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:50 AM
  #274
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 14,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Site plan application for second NHL-sized arena in Toronto area being submitted this Wednesday. Could lead to building permits by the fall.
https://twitter.com/JKTHN/status/232857915986411520

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
  #275
syc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not Europe
Posts: 2,148
vCash: 500
They want to host the wjc in 2015.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402561

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.