HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens vs Rangers | Game 7 | Part 2

Old
04-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Smith was a different player in the second half after he had that concussion. He came back pretty early and was never the same. Looked lost out there often in their end, lost a step and imo less physical. Early season he looked almost Mike Fisher-like playing without much around him.

Gotta wonder how much he was slowed down by coming back so soon.
It's either the concussion or Daugavins playing like crap after Murray told him he should find a house in Ottawa.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Tuna99

Spezza played like crap and that to me was the major difference - I thought he had learned to be a solid player but he looked like old Spezza last night.

Spezza always plays hard, but he doesn't play smart and that's always been his and our achilles heel - and it will be next year in the playoffs as well.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud SENS Fan!!!!!

Leafs still suck!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Graves94

As a Rangers fan, I have to congratulate the Senators for playing a fantastic series. I can tell you that the Sens scared a lot of us Ranger fans. Well done and good luck next year.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
JustinYS

It still hurts the morning after For me, what makes it particularly devastating, is that this was Alfie's chance at a run. The East would've been wide open except for maybe Philly. No way we get another golden chance like that.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

It hurts, but I'm still too proud of them to be TOO upset. We have such a bright future. But I agree, the only thing keeping me down is the thought that we'll never see Alfie suit up for us again. I'm not ready.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:00 AM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
It still hurts the morning after For me, what makes it particularly devastating, is that this was Alfie's chance at a run. The East would've been wide open except for maybe Philly. No way we get another golden chance like that.
You're kidding right?

Nobody even though we could have made the playoffs this year and suddenly we were favourites to win the cup? It was a great series and maybe if we did beat the Rangers we might have a chance to go to round 3, but no way in hell would we have won against Philly or even come close to the cup.

Let's look forward to next year where a lot of our prospects will play and the this year's rookies will have another year under their belt.

Proud of Sens this year.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Thanks for the effort and surprising season.

Don't hang'em up yet, Alfie!!!

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
otown

Everytime I watch Marc Staal I think what a terrible move it was for the SENS to pass on him during the draft and pick Brian Lee! That move has come back to haunt us! Ouch! Thanks Muckler!

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:03 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Everytime I watch Marc Staal I think what a terrible move it was for the SENS to pass on him during the draft and pick Brian Lee! That move has come back to haunt us! Ouch! Thanks Muckler!
You had a lot of company. He would look good with either Karlsson or in a shut down pair with Cowen.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
But then you'd be pissed for passing on Kopitar...

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
God Says No

well we should have drafted lucic over foligno. but this isn't exact science.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

According to the Rangers thread, said with a smile/jokingly.

Quote:
Hahaha Karlsson to Lundqvist: Jävla grisas, fan vad jag hatar dig!

Translation: Damn I hate you, you ****ing pig ass

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
But then you'd be pissed for passing on Kopitar...
Thing with the Lee over Staal, everyone was on board with Staal. People who follow prospects closer knew about Kopitar, but even those who didn't knew about Staal and wanted him pick. The Lee choice was the biggest collective WTF from the fan base for any draft pick by the Senators. It isn't the usual woulda, shoulda, coulda retrospect look at a draft pick.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Leaf fan here to say thank you for raising the bar in the east. I despise your club as much as you do mine, but ottawa played a great series. And that puts pressure on our team as much as it does yours, to raise our games. Thats good for hockey. Looking forward to pounding the piss out of each other all next season.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

This might be a little late, Rangers fan here, what a great series.

Your team played great nothing to hang your head about.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Leaf fan here to say thank you for raising the bar in the east. I despise your club as much as you do mine, but ottawa played a great series. And that puts pressure on our team as much as it does yours, to raise our games. Thats good for hockey. Looking forward to pounding the piss out of each other all next season.
Luongo's a sieve

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Manny*

Maclean sounds excited and optimistic in the post-game interview. Already looking forward to next season.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Gotta say after watching the post-game interview with Karlsson that you can honestly see that this guy cares a lot about winning. He looks to be on the verge of tears a few times, and just genuinely looks upset that they lost. Some people might call it immaturity but I actually didn't mind him throwing his stick at the end of game six and seven because it shows how much he wants to win. I'd much rather see fiery passion then some of the guys who just seem to shrug and get on with their day.

Don't care what it takes to lock this kid up in the summer just get him signed! The great players no matter how much they are getting paid seem to be always driven by their desire to win, and Karlsson just seems like the kind of guy that is going to get better and better every year. Sure he might not put up 70 points a season, but if continues to put up 50 or so and continues to round out his overall game I'm still happy.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Maclean sounds excited and optimistic in the post-game interview. Already looking forward to next season.
Me too - can't get here fast enough! This is a good group we have.

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Me too. Silfverberg had some great moments last night and I'm really excited to see him play a full season. I've never been so excited for camp in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
It hurts, but I'm still too proud of them to be TOO upset. We have such a bright future. But I agree, the only thing keeping me down is the thought that we'll never see Alfie suit up for us again. I'm not ready.
It's funny. I was perfectly fine last night but I woke up this morning and I realized how disappointed I was that we couldn't make it one more round. But I think that disappointment stems from the fact that this might be Alfie's last season. It's just really sad to think that this could be it for him.

Still incredibly proud of this team though.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Luongo's a sieve
hopefully, you get a chance to prove your theory next season.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I'm pretty surprised by the flak that Spezza is getting. Its mostly the pessimists and people who only really follow hockey around this time of year but its like they completely ignore what was on the other end. Girardi and McDonough are the new version of Phillips and Volchenkov. Those two ate super star forwards for breakfast. Ovechkin, Crosby, Parise, Briere etc, etc. all fell victim yet we hold Jason Spezza up to a higher standard? He still got some offense going and lets face it Michalek didn't convert on some glorious opportunities that were dished out last night.

Its really not surprising to see him get shutdown against a team like that when he's playing with guys in their first pro games. The focus is all on him because no one else is a threat. Michalek is a really good two way winger but his scoring touch is very streaky and he was absolutely snake bitten for 7 games. That's a terrible combination when you've got Spezza (the playmaker) drawing two guys and no one else can bury pucks.

This is going to remedy itself eventually with all the upcoming talent but to make Spezza a scapegoat on a gravy playoff run is absurd. He got them there and ALL of our big offensive guns were MIA in this series.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

Speaking for last night's game only, Gonchar and Karlsson had 0 shots on net. Not good.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Great series, guys. Definitely the closest and most intense series of the first round.

You guys are on the cusp of being a very good team, IMO.

I was very impressed by Cowen's play which nobody seems to be mentioning. He has a calming effect on the breakout and is always in the right position. Reminds me a bit of Staal. I think he gets lost in the mix behind Karlsson (for good reason, wow, what a skater and what vision) and Gonchar and Phillips. But Cowen really impressed me with some of the little things and his attention to detail under pressure.

I also am envious of Konopka's ridiculous faceoff prowess. I don't understand how hes so much better than everyone else at them. What a difference it makes when you have a guy who's THAT good at faceoffs; it results in a lot more puck possession and scoring chances.

I thought Spezza played well. He was making very sneaky passes when it looked like there was no room anywhere. Michalek failed to capitalize on quite a few chances, but I guess Lundqvist deserves more credit than Michalek does blame.

Foligno, Smith, Turris, Neil, and Condra impressed me with their strength on the puck.

I think a major fail was the lorax (your coach) putting Silfverberg in over Stone after Stone had a great assist on Spezza's game-winner. Way to reward a guy for stepping up by scratching him for a guy who's never played in the NHL. Stone was better than Silfverberg, IMO. In the future, I'm sure Silfverberg will have the better career, but it was a questionable move IMO.

Finally, Craig Anderson really made a statement in this series. He's got to be one of the most underrated goalies in the league today. Doesn't have an excessive movement like a Fleury or Thomas who just flop around and try to make easy saves look difficult. Very calming presence and came up with some huge saves at key times throughout the series. Honestly, without Lundqvist, you guys almost definitely win this series.

With Karlsson, Cowen, Spezza, Turris, Foligno, etc you guys have a bright future. Best of luck next year and thanks for an entertaining, intense series. Most of your fans are class acts all the way. IMO, one of the classiest and knowledgable fanbases overall. I'm going to miss that next round now that we're playing a team with one of the most bandwagonish, immature, uninformed fanbases in the league. Die caps die.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote