HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF: #1 New York Rangers v. #7 Washington Capitals

Old
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
This is going to be a series very much like the last one. Two teams that like to grind it out and have no interest in taking risks. The Rangers might be more reliant on counter-punching and scoring off turnovers than any team in the league. Right now, the Caps are playing pretty responsibly in that regard.

Wouldn't be surprised to see another bunch of low-scoring 1-goal games in this round.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:52 PM
butters8814

I wouldnt be suprised if ovi, has a big series with goals. Rangers d not as good as bruins

butters8814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Devil Dancer

The real question is, will the VC crowd successfully troll Torts this year?

EDIT: Also, this is the cockiest I've seen this forum in a long time. Not saying that's bad or good, just an observation.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:05 AM
tycoonheart

Girardi averaging over 28 mins TOI.

No way this guy survives another series playing insane minutes.

tycoonheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Integral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
The real question is, will the VC crowd successfully troll Torts this year?

EDIT: Also, this is the cockiest I've seen this forum in a long time. Not saying that's bad or good, just an observation.
To be fair, we did go from edging our way into the playoffs in the last couple of games of the regular season to defeating the Stanley Cup champions.

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:09 AM
um

have you guys forgotten why the eagle has a bag on his head, not nearly enough fear here, we are no longer the underdogs i doubt the caps can continue this streak

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
have you guys forgotten why the eagle has a bag on his head, not nearly enough fear here, we are no longer the underdogs i doubt the caps can continue this streak
you think the caps are favorites in this series? really?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:41 AM
troyerlaw
Life is not party

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
we are no longer the underdogs
How do you figure?

We are the 7th seed, we played a craptastic regular season, we squeezed through Round 1 by skin of our teeth thanks to otherworldly tending by a rookie goalie who was No. 3 on the depth chart.

We are still the underdogs here, no question.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:50 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Sat. April 28 at 3 p.m.
Mon. April 30. at 7 p.m.
Wed. May 2 at 7 p.m.
Sat. May 5 at 12:30 p.m.
Mon. May 7 at 7:30 p.m.
Wed. May 9 at 7 p.m.
Sat. May 12 at 8 p.m.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:50 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

Ovechkin/Brouwer are going to murder him.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

If Holtby, Hammer, Carlson, Ovi, Semin will play wholeheartedly again, then we might have a chance. Oh, and 1 or 2 OT winners from Ward would help as well.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:01 AM
troyerlaw
Life is not party

After re-watching game 7 today, here's a couple of points:

- #52 is playing better and better. He made a couple of smart plays at the point, and was steady in our end;

- #55 made some bad mistakes yesterday. I don't know whether it was rust or nerves, or whether he has just sunk back to the mean after the initial uptick which followed his release from Hunter Healthy Scratch jail.

- #44 was steady, physical, smart with the puck. He seemed composed and effective, especially along the boards behind our net. I also liked the 120-foot slapshot on TT as a dump-in technique in 3rd. He put it right on net. Just seemed like a composed, confident play. Exact opposite of the tentative work of 55, who wad woefully out-of-sync with his partner on several occasions, and who gave puck away in our own zone just a few seconds before Noobs & Playoff Action Figure saved the day.

- 74 appears to have emerged from the regular season stinkfest. I hope he is allowed to 'activate' once in a while, as the broadcast teams all seem to say nowadays. (In the old days it was just 'joining the rush.') True, he let Seguin dive past him to pop in the rebound last night, but overall, there is much less stupid lately from Baby Dino, IMO.

- nice forehecking work yesterday by 26 and 90, among others. Beagle, too.

So freaking happy we are not playing PHI in next round. Not that NYR is gimme, not by a long shot. But I am happy to leave PHI for another day. They seem like the odds-on favorite to go all the way, at least for now. Their D corps and goalie may not be awe-inspiring, but team is stacked up front.

I didn't realize that both Knuble and Bryzgalov already have Cup rings. Granted, they were not key cogs in those past glories, but still. Just a random fact. And it does appear Noobs is gathering some momentum, with goal in game 5 and the primary assist on GWG in game 7. As usual, I had given up on the guy. I do each year.

Finally, I really want to see some Orlov, Halpy, and Perochocinco (if healthy) during this next series. I also want ovie to force the issue of his TOI by playing hard and with jump. Just like that shift after he scored tying goal in game 6. The one where he dinged one off the crossbar. He was a man possessed on that shift.

Last edited by troyerlaw: 04-27-2012 at 01:17 AM.
troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:30 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:

Oh really? I did not realize Torts was riding a dman that hard this year. Good that series went to 7 then.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:12 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Should be an interesting series. I'll find it interesting to see this new style the Caps are playing under Hunter and see how it works for them in the playoffs.

And for those saying the Bruins have a better defense: We don't have a Chara, but we have more depth on the backend than they do. McDonagh is not the same guy as last season. He was our #1 while Staal was out and still could possibly be our #1 although Staal is playing his best right now.

Also, the goalie plays differently than Thomas. While the Caps played better than the Bruins in their series, I believe Thomas let in some softies along the way, especially the goal Brouwer scored in game 5. Lundqvist has been on his game against Ottawa and really carried the team to some wins until they realized it's the ****ing playoffs. Last two games were much better for them.

Also, Kreider is starting to get confident. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a big series. Can't wait to watch Holtby. I know he played the last game vs the Rangers, but I want to get a really good look at him. He was very good vs Boston and we'll see what happens this series.

Here's to a good series and possibly 7 more games this season Thinking it'll go the distance with the Rangers on top of course

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:24 AM
meanolthing

Lets Go Caps!!!

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
girardi is playing with stralman right now.
The pairings against Ottawa was:

McDonaugh-Girardi
Staal-Strålman
Del Zotto-Bickel

However, Bickel doesn't get many minutes, so you will probably see combinations of the other five. McD-Girardi is the first shutdown pairing, DZ-Staal usually gets time when defending a lead towards the end of periods or on the PK.

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Peter The Great

I guess we can all agree one thing.

The Caps are facing the worlds best goalie of today, Lundqvist.

Lundqvist is at his prime right now, his best season ever, no doubts about it.

In the same way, even though Lundqvist may be number one right now he can't win the series on his own.

If Rangers don't get their offense going, Washington will probably win the series again, the Caps is really a huge troll and ghost for Rangers.

Washington could turn out winning it all if Ovechkin, Backstrom, Brouwer and Semin play at their peak, they need difference makers. Holtby is crucial too, of course.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Kallejohansson

I see the Rangers as a less playoff orientated version of the Bruins. Not as gritty and big as the B's, and without a good bottom 6. Other than that, it's pretty much the same. Strong D, great goaltending and capable top six. Maybe Rangers play a little more open, with a few more 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 opportunities going both ways.

Since our D was able to completely shut down the Boston top six, and they're GOOD, I see no reason they won't take away the Rangers top forwards. Gaborik isn't really made for the playoffs, the biggest threat is Richards as I see it. He is one of the best players when it really matters in my opinion, Carlzner will really have to put it all out to shut him down.

And sure, Rangers have elite defenders, but I see none as good as Chara - Seidenberg. Once again Ovi will act as a decoy against their top pairing, and he will run them down. Won't be surprised to see some injuries to whoever will play him. Russian machine never breaks.

Caps take it in 4

Kallejohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:02 AM
RyanCallahan24*

I like how most of you guys seem to think Rangers defense sucks. That's like our main strength... 3rd lowest GAA in the whole league during the regular season. Lundqvist nominated for Vezina and now in the playoffs he has got a great start. .945, 1 shutout.

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal (who's been back to his former self after the concussion the last few games now), Lundqvist, fore and backchecking etc.

It's gonna be a great series for sure .

Rangers wins the series 4-2 IMO.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:13 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:

He had the highest TOI in the NHL for a long time (not sure if he ended up with it after the season), so he can do it. Which our #1 seed proves .

Old
04-27-2012, 05:21 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
I like how most of you guys seem to think Rangers defense sucks.
Umm.. what?
In what universe does "Bruins top pairing > Rangers top pairing" equal "Rangers defense sucks"?

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:26 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Umm.. what?
In what universe does "Bruins top pairing > Rangers top pairing" equal "Rangers defense sucks"?
There was alot more, not just the comparisons with Bruins. I don't really care, you're entitled to your opinion and I am looking forward to this serie.

Old
04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

just get each game to OT and the caps take it in 4. lundqvist will vacate the net in the extra period as always.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Good to see these guys again. Should be a good series

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote