HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Discussion: (5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (6) New Jersey Devils - Devils Win 4-1

Old
05-04-2012, 10:32 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I missed most of the game last night, but from what I've seen Brodeur is worse than Bryz right now. The Flyers need to simplify their game. Stop the east and west, and go north and south.

They had puck possession for the majority of the first 15 minutes of OT, and refused to put the puck on net. They kept trying to force passes that weren't there instead of just flinging everything at Brodeur. He is shaky right now, and all they have to do is put pressure on him. If they do that they'll get back in this series, but I'm afraid they aren't going to adjust to the Devils style of play.

They could play like that against the Pens because it was a wide open type of game, but they can't do it against the Devils. They need to be smarter. They didn't play smart from what I saw.
Bryz hasn't been great, but it is the only category that we are not getting smoked by the Devils in. Goalies are even, Devils are killing us in every other category ! Parise >>>>>Giroux, Hartnell , soft and awful, Jagr, worst skater on the ice all 3 games, Simmer (see Harts). Defense Only players that are decent so far are Wellwood , Jake , and Danny . Even Talbot looks lost out there.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
n62

Probably the best time for a two-day layoff. If they can't fix it by Sunday, well, at least they beat the Pens.

n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Bryz hasn't been great, but it is the only category that we are not getting smoked by the Devils in. Goalies are even, Devils are killing us in every other category ! Parise >>>>>Giroux, Hartnell , soft and awful, Jagr, worst skater on the ice all 3 games, Simmer (see Harts). Defense Only players that are decent so far are Wellwood , Jake , and Danny . Even Talbot looks lost out there.
Even Briere--IDK. Scores goals, gives up goals. I know +/- is a deeply flawed stat, but, how do you lead the league in playoff goals (8) and rock a -4?

EDIT: Actually, most of that is from round 1.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:13 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Even Briere--IDK. Scores goals, gives up goals. I know +/- is a deeply flawed stat, but, how do you lead the league in playoff goals (8) and rock a -4?

EDIT: Actually, most of that is from round 1.
Still that's bleeping brutal. 12pts for, 16g against. He was a plus 9 on our cup run in 2010.

His timely and clutch scoring is great...but I don't think THIS Flyers team can make up for his horrid D.

Perhaps we should just have him sit in the NZ, play 5 on 4 in our end and fire bombs out of our zone. Have him cherry pick...it might be better...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
G Money

1-4 when we score first 4-0 when they score first i say **** it let em score first

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Bryz hasn't been great, but it is the only category that we are not getting smoked by the Devils in. Goalies are even, Devils are killing us in every other category !
everybody sees this. some are just more comfortable with pinning it on the goalie. it supports keeping Richards instead, or signing another scapegoat to less money & fewer years .. the positions they took going into this season.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I come in peace.

Any news on Couturier? He's a fantastic player and will be a force for many years to come. I'm actually pissed that he fell right into your lap when you guys are already dressing a stacked roster but what can you do.

Damn you Islanders and Jets

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I come in peace.

Any news on Couturier? He's a fantastic player and will be a force for many years to come. I'm actually pissed that he fell right into your lap when you guys areIalready dressing a stacked roster but what can you do.

Damn you Islanders and Jets
Heh, haven't heard. You know the playoffs, it's how coy can you be about injuries..

I think we are all hoping Parise signs somewhere else in the offseason, so we understand...

Old
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
FlyersMania2

talk in code?

Would saying a fanbase makes the same argument repeatedly (verbatim in those terms) be considered as flaming?

Just out of curiousity?

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I missed most of the game last night, but from what I've seen Brodeur is worse than Bryz right now.
First of all, last night was Brodeur's worst game of the playoffs out of 10 games (including 4 OTs). Even the one time he was pulled after giving up 3 goals, all 3 were unstoppable. If Brodeur is as "old and slow" and "easily beatable" as everyone says, I hope that old and slow guy resigns for a few more years.

Secondly, Lol, whut?

Brodeur 6-3-1 GAA 2.16 SVP .917 1SO
Bryzgalov 5-4-1 GAA 3.54 SVP .878 0SO

Normally I wouldnt comment, but the above post was so absurd it needed a response.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:04 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
First of all, last night was Brodeur's worst game of the playoffs out of 10 games (including 4 OTs). Even the one time he was pulled after giving up 3 goals, all 3 were unstoppable. If Brodeur is as "old and slow" and "easily beatable" as everyone says, I hope that old and slow guy resigns for a few more years.

Secondly, Lol, whut?

Normally I wouldnt comment, but the above post was so absurd it needed a response.
AGAIN - same poster as in the other thread. Are people not responding to you in the General Discussion - Stanley Cup Playoffs - Flyers v Devils thread?

THAT IS WHERE THIS BELONGS...not on our board. I would be careful. Many of people get warned for going onto other teams' boards. I was told this many moons ago, and learned in Rd 1.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:13 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I see no problem with civilized discussion.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
TheLegendkiller

I know it looks bad right now but lets put it in perspective. Its 2-1 it could be worse...at least were not the St. Louis Blues right now. Those guys are thoroughly ****ed.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I see no problem with civilized discussion.
Neither do I. But when the same opposing fan posts on two threads to basically rebuttle us, it's annoying. There is a general forum where that happens.

I would rather be miserable about last night and not have to have some Devils fan do the "you're wrong" or "our goalie is better" or half your fans say "we play the trap" gloating routine.

I am in the Flyers forum now rather than the other general discussion page so I don't have to reread these things.

Old
05-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Secondly, Lol, whut?

I don't know about the above poster, but when I made a similar comment about Bryz v. Brodeur, I was referring to this series, not the playoffs as a whole.

Rerun those numbers and I think you'll find the two considerably closer.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:28 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Yeah he's not stirring the pot or poking any hornets nest here.

Nothing but civilized discussion.

Do some people think this like turf wars or something? It's a message board for Christ's sake.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't know about the above poster, but when I made a similar comment about Bryz v. Brodeur, I was referring to this series, not the playoffs as a whole.

Rerun those numbers and I think you'll find the two considerably closer.
If I knew how to do that, I would. Perhaps someone here can help?

I suspect you're right that they'd be closer, though Brodeur's GAA would still have to be lower. SVP I dont know about though, because even though Bryzgalov has let in more goals, I think the Devils might have more shots? So Bryzgalov might have a better SVP.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:32 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
If I knew how to do that, I would. Perhaps someone here can help? I suspect you're right that they'd be closer, though Brodeur's GAA would still have to be lower. SVP I dont know about though, because even though Bryzgalov has let in more goals, I think the Devils might have more shots?
Their stats in the regular season are practically identical.

Post-season, not so much.

Not sure the numbers in this series but save game 1, I assume Bryz has the better stats.

I can take this kind of discussion but not the gloating-related stuff. I am bitter today

Old
05-04-2012, 02:45 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Their stats in the regular season are practically identical.

Post-season, not so much.

Not sure the numbers in this series but save game 1, I assume Bryz has the better stats.

I can take this kind of discussion but not the gloating-related stuff. I am bitter today
Dude, just relax. He wasn't gloating or anything, he's been 100% civil. Just calm down, everything will be alright, I promise.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Dude, just relax. He wasn't gloating or anything, he's been 100% civil. Just calm down, everything will be alright, I promise.
The leave britney alone video isn't exactly civil. I honestly want to read what Flyers fans say when I come to this message board. I had my fill of Devils fans in the general discussion, left, and just want to read Flyers fans commentary. Is that too much to ask on the Flyers board?

Old
05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Wouldn't a goalie save percentage be affected by the opponents inability to capitalize on mistakes he has made. Especially with a small sample size.

Goalie X faces 20 weak point shots from Team Y, but gives up a juicy rebound every time. Team Y fail to convert that rebound into either another shot or a goal, through their own ineptitude/style and the talent of Goalie X's defense in clearing the puck out of harm's way. Goalie X finishes with a perfect save percentage and 0.00 GAA. But can you really say he's playing good if all he is doing is stopping the easy shot from the point and not letting in a leaky goal from the blue line and his team's defense is covering his mistakes. GAA and Save Percentage are meaningless indicators of a goalie's play when its based on a small sample size. There are too many other factors to consider.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
Wouldn't a goalie save percentage be affected by the opponents inability to capitalize on mistakes he has made. Especially with a small sample size.

Goalie X faces 20 weak point shots from Team Y, but gives up a juicy rebound every time. Team Y fail to convert that rebound into either another shot or a goal, through their own ineptitude/style and the talent of Goalie X's defense in clearing the puck out of harm's way. Goalie X finishes with a perfect save percentage and 0.00 GAA. But can you really say he's playing good if all he is doing is stopping the easy shot from the point and not letting in a leaky goal from the blue line and his team's defense is covering his mistakes. GAA and Save Percentage are meaningless indicators of a goalie's play when its based on a small sample size. There are too many other factors to consider.
quit it with your valid points, logic, and reason.

Jk, wish more people saw it this way. I'll take it further, I think team style has a FAR bigger impact on these numbers.

Perfect case in point right now is Brian Elliot. All star regular season stats, playoff goat. I'm sure he's just disinterested or something.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
BringBackStevens

Personally, I have thought Brodeur has looked awfully shaky in games 2 and 3. The Flyers needed to get more to the net and failed. I thought they had a huge opportunity to capitalize on a not so hot looking brodeur

Bryzgalov has not been good enough either. Game 2 he obviously gets a pass but he's part of the problem in Games 1 and 3

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Am I the only one that thinks the Flyers shouldn't play the first and then play the rest?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
dats81

This is a big test for this team!

They have already solved the best offense in the league, dominated the Penguins in their own building.

Now they are facing one of the best defensive teams remaining in the contest. Believe it or not but there is only one high scoring team left besides the Flyers, which are the NY Rangers. Once again, defense prevails over offense. This team and in especially Peter Laviolette need to find out how compete and win against this kind of play asap.

I want Danny B., Timo, Scotty Hartnell and the rest of the Veterans turning it on, leading the way for the rookies with all their will and force! They have already been so close to winning it all and have faced the adversity before. They need to bring back the energy of the first round and play with some desperation

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote