HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Menzies : Burke Can't Hide Behind The Gay Flag

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 03:31 AM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 500
Menzies : Burke Can't Hide Behind The Gay Flag

Habs fan here, saw this article and knew i had to post it here. There you go :
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/david-m...29.html?ref=tw
Discuss.

Last edited by MoreMogilny: 05-10-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 03:38 AM
blueNwhite89

disgusting

Old
05-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
I'm not a fan of Burke and the way he present himself in the media, but this is an article that's borderline idiotic and poorly written, not to mention that he didn't even get BB's late son's name right.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:42 AM
clarkgordon28

Wow. My brain hurts after reading that article. I didn't think someone could be such an unintelligent, obnoxious, ass.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:46 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
On the bright side, at least now we know that any one of us can land a job as a sports writer if this helpless mongoloid can.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:51 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
The implication that Burke is doing this for public relations reasons is absolutely despicable. I didn't think even his most ardent opponents would stoop this low.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:53 AM
RomanianLeafs

pathetic...this guy should be fired...i hope BB doesn`t waste 2 minutes of his life to read this article

Old
05-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Svartsyn

Haha. It takes courage to write something like this these days. I agree with much of the contents, but of course it's inappropriate to attack Burke who has just lost his son. But that pro-gayishness boosts PR, and that ppl use that fact, I dont doubt for a second.

Edit: At least this is the way it works in Sweden, I would assume NA to be quite similar in this regard.

Last edited by Svartsyn: 05-10-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 05:11 AM
htpwn

I'm genuinely surprised that the Huffington Post, even as trying to put forward a 'balanced perspective,' would even allow an article like this to be printed. It attacks Burke not on the merit of his achievements (or lack there of) with the Leafs, but instead criticizes him based solely on a false premise ('Burke's team sucks, Burke is involved in the gay community, therefore Burke must be involved in the gay community because his team sucks') drawn up out of thin air by the author, who's preconceived bias' are well-known.

Last edited by htpwn: 05-10-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Sens fan here. At the best of times, I can't stand the Leafs, or Burke, but it has nothing to do with his stance on the issue of homosexuality. Although I'm heterosexual, I happen to agree that homosexuals should have all the same rights and freedoms as anyone else. That said, I'm with you guys that this article is putrid and offensive. I implore you all to boycott its author and the publication in which it appeared.

On a side note, if you like to read (and laugh at) idiot 'journalists' like this, have a look at the Ottawa Sun and read just about anything by the Mike Milbury of reporters, Don Brennan. He sticks mostly to hockey stories, but his idiocy is pretty legendary here in Ottawa, such as how he wrote that it was a stupid and wasted pick when we drafted Erik Karlsson, and suggested some other 'better' picks (all of whom haven't been heard from since).

Have a good day all.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsyn View Post
Haha. It takes courage to write something like this these days. I agree with much of the contents, but of course it's inappropriate to attack Burke who has just lost his son. But that pro-gayishness boosts PR, and that ppl use that fact, I dont doubt for a second.

Edit: At least this is the way it works in Sweden, I would assume NA to be quite similar in this regard.
Whether or not being pro-gay boosts one's public reputation (which is debatable among certain groups of people), that does NOT mean that someone who is pro-gay is doing it for ulterior, selfish reasons, as is what is being implied by the writer regarding Burke. That is ridiculous.

It takes a special kind of [fill in the blank] to attack a grieving father for trying to carry on the legacy of his son.

This is no time to play devil's advocate. This is flat-out wrong.

Old
05-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Interactif

This article was dated Mar 8, 2012. Why bring it up now?

Old
05-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The fact it's two months old does not make it any less relevant.

Only reason we haven't stumbled upon this yet is because nobody knew who the hell the writer was.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
The fact it's two months old does not make it any less relevant.

Only reason we haven't stumbled upon this yet is because nobody knew who the hell the writer was.
No, but for context, it does. Just reading the title(which editors decide) and post, it would be easy to conclude this was written at present as we near pride week. Noting the date is an important distinction, as it was during the time Burke may or may not have tried to get Cherry fired, he had mulitple fueds with Media, and Leafs fans were calling for his head as the team slid in the standings.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:08 AM
eyeball11

Wow. Just wow.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
No, but for context, it does. Just reading the title(which editors decide) and post, it would be easy to conclude this was written at present as we near pride week. Noting the date is an important distinction, as it was during the time Burke may or may not have tried to get Cherry fired, he had mulitple fueds with Media, and the Leafs fans were calling for his head as the team slid.
I guess, but I fail to see the reason to point out the context for when the article was written. Doesn't make what was said any less abhorrent, nor should it temper our outrage (not saying that's what you intended).

Old
05-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Interactif

You guys are falling for a Habs fan drive by troll, posting a Mar 8 op-ed on May 10, 2 months 2 days in arrears is somewhat disingeneous.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I guess, but I fail to see the reason to point out the context for when the article was written. Doesn't make what was said any less abhorrent, nor should it temper our outrage (not saying that's what you intended).
Yes and no, but I can dig up a Simmons op-ed from 2009 and if I posted it today, without 'context' Are we all similarily outraged?

Old
05-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Yes and no, but I can dig up a Simmons op-ed from 2009 and if I posted it today, without 'context' Are we all similarily outraged?
Why are we even having this discussion? If it made the same outrageous claims, then yes people would still be calling for his head. The difference between bringing up a Simmons op-ed from 2009 and this article from two months ago is this is the first any of us have seen of it. This is the initial reaction. We wouldn't have missed a Simmons op-ed back in 2009, so it really doesn't have much basis in this discussion. Regardless of all of this, you're pettifogging the issue. I'm not interested in debating semantics in an endless circle, so I'm hopeful this is the end of the discussion.

Lastly, I hate to pick up for a Habs fan, but it's not really a drive-by trolling, as people like Ryan Lambert, Bruce Arthur and Steve Dangle first brought it up on Twitter last night before the OP posted the thread. The discussion was already going on elsewhere, he just brought it here.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM
showtime8

So you mean someone with a voice is giving their own personal view on something?

Title of the article should read Menzies gives own opinion and tries to back it with scapegoat.

IMO, its a fine line on what figureheads should reach out on. You see Tim Thomas get ripped a new one for not going to the white house because of a political view.

Anyways, I think you should be judged on the merits of the job you've done and not what you support. Such an ignorant report that has no base to it.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Dalton

I thought Burke was coming out. I think I'll pass on reading the article.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:25 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

This article reflects poorly on the Huffington Post. There isn't really anything being said in this opinion editorial, it's just a personal attack. And it's full of innaccuracies and inferences. I understand it's "an opinion" but if you're going to put it in print, one would think that there should be an effort by the author to have formed an educated opinion on the subject.

The article even goes as far as insinuating that Burke's son, Brendan, wasn't even gay, but purported by Brian Burke to BE gay as a media stunt. Who would write that?

Old
05-10-2012, 08:34 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I want the last two minutes of my life back after reading that article.

Old
05-10-2012, 08:47 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
This is what fans of other teams do in their spare time

Look for Maple Leafs articles

Old
05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

while bullying should be treated with the same type of tolerance (none), it is pretty obvious gay people have it worse.

Closed Thread