Old
06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I miss understood your question. I thought you were asking why they would give up this year's pick.
Ah, don't worry about it. Yeah, it really seems like they should be giving up this years pick...

Old
06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
What would change under the new CBA? Like they wouldn't have to forfeit any picks?
I don't know. We will see.

Also, maybe they will trade this year's pick. Who knows?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
NJD had until 5pm Tue to decide on forfeiture of 1st round pick (Kovalchuk discipline). They opted not to forfeit and will hold the pick.
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/stat...26584888360960

Old
06-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Strange move by NJ there. I would have probably given it up.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Seems like a pretty easy choice to give it up this year, unless they absolutely covet somebody projected to be around at the 29th pick.

Looks like if they don't give it up next year, they'll be forced to give it up in 2014.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Seems like a pretty easy choice to give it up this year, unless they absolutely covet somebody projected to be around at the 29th pick.

Looks like if they don't give it up next year, they'll be forced to give it up in 2014.
Nothing to do with what is written but once again, great avatar!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Chiarelli said there's no news on negotiations with Pouliot.^BISH
http://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/212988177282113537

Old
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
PC repeated that he's working on the premise that the goalies will be Rask & Khudobin and that fact has had an impact on other plans.^BISH
http://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/212992007675719680

Nice to see Khudobin will most likely be the Bruins backup.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Parise NOT going to Rangers. (This could probably go in the Parise thread, but I figured since it was about the Rangers, this would do)

Welp, there goes all that amazing Larry Brooks credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Nothing to do with what is written but once again, great avatar!
Thanks, I'm thinking this one's going to stay for awhile.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Sportsfan1

I think Lou is great GM obviously but he is also very arrogant, he's seems very assure of himself in not only signing Zack, but not giving up this years pick in a bad draft class when he really should've. Stupid, and arrogant move if you ask me.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
I think Lou is great GM obviously but he is also very arrogant, he's seems very assure of himself in not only signing Zack, but not giving up this years pick in a bad draft class when he really should've. Stupid, and arrogant move if you ask me.
he's not infallible. *cough*Rolston*cough*

Old
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
tyratoku

The reasoning for not giving up the pick is simple.

The Devils now have a horrible prospect pipeline. They could use any and all help they can get, and are facing the possibility of their premiere winger(Parise) leaving. If they give up this year's pick, then that simply means that whoever they choose next year will be another year from making an impact. Giving up this draft pick might be a smarter decision, but they need prospects that can play sooner rather than later.

They are in win now mode, hence the Eastern Championship. While their core is still together, they want to make another run. A late first rounder can help them do so.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

watch someone do something stupid and give them a good prospect for Parise's negotiating rights then Parise just turn right around and sign with the Devils anyway. What is to stop a team from doing that, btw? Psssst...Parise. You know, Minny is really hungry for you to sign there. Could you keep tight lipped and vague about your future in NJ so we can scam them out of Phillips? It's a little dishonest but you'd be helping the team, buddy.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post

To use the football value chart, a 2014 first round pick is worth a 2013 second round pick. A 2013 second round pick is worth a 2012 third round pick. Obviously hockey is different, but the concept is still the same. It's a time value of assets issue. The guy picked 29th overall this year will likely contribute to his team before the guy picked 20th next year. He'll probably even contribute before the guy picked 10th the year after.

In addition to that, New Jersey's prospect pool is getting pretty depleted. They were ranked 18th by HF before last season, and that was with Larsson on the list. To use HF's scoring, they have one 8.0D prospect and their next best skater has a 7.0C. They need to start getting warm bodies with possible upside into their pool now.

Ultimately, I expect them to wait until 2014 to forfeit their pick. The only way I really see this possibly biting them is if that ends up as a top 10 pick.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Lou is an obstinate, crotchety old man, but don't mistake that for arrogance. He has a lot of "rules" that he (and the rest of the organization) adhere to, but that doesn't have anything to do with attitude. It's a strong, clear way of doing business, and as long as he sticks to it, it will help him in his business relations and running of his team.

One of the things that he does not do under any circumstances is trade negotiating rights. He would rather lose players for nothing than trade their rights. It's something the players know will happen, their agents know will happen, and the rest of the league knows will happen. That's how he operates, and that's what he will do with Parise.

Old
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
forthewild

I just question the validity of this move, he has to win a cup to get a better scenario. It's quite possible with parise departure and brodeur retirement that they finish with a t10 pick next year. So say they dont give it up, then the following year you get the 1st overall and bam you waive goodbye to a franchise player to pick 29th overall.

This is the silver plate, give up a low 1st, the only better possibility is winning the cup but then you won the ****ing cup so who gives a ****

Old
06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I just question the validity of this move, he has to win a cup to get a better scenario. It's quite possible with parise departure and brodeur retirement that they finish with a t10 pick next year. So say they dont give it up, then the following year you get the 1st overall and bam you waive goodbye to a franchise player to pick 29th overall.

This is the silver plate, give up a low 1st, the only better possibility is winning the cup but then you won the ****ing cup so who gives a ****
It's highly unlikely the Devils pick top 10 in the next two years. They still have a decent enough group next year, even without Parise. They'll manage to find a goalie who isn't a liability one way or another. They'll keep most of their defense (Larsson, Fayne, Greene, Tallinder, Volchenkov, and for next season Zidlicky). They still have a game-breaking forward in Kovalchuk. Henrique is an up and comer. Zubrus and Zajac are still worthwhile forwards. Clarkson can be useful. I don't see them contending for the cup again, but then again I didn't think that was realistic this year either.

Worst case, they will likely be picking in the teens in 2013 and 2014.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
If anything, we should be supporting New Jersey's decision.

As long as we're picking lower than the Devils, there's one less pick ahead of us.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Parise re-signing with the Devils will make it all the sweeter when the Wild beat them in the 2013 cup finals. NBC will be close-uping the holy jesus out of Parise's face if that happens.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:23 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Poor Russo. It's a no-win situation for him. First, he's attacked with endless "Granlund watch" questions. Next, it's all, "will Parise or Suter sign here?" If they don't, then he'll get hit with trolls asking him why they didn't sign and telling him how much the Wild suck. And if they sign Parise, then he's gonna get hit with, "Will he get to wear #9 with the "C"" questions. Cripes. He already answered that last one today. They won't take the 9 (or C) away from Koivu just for Parise.

Wonder what Russo did before fans had twitter accounts......

Old
06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I don't feel bad for him. He's got a dream job.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Poor Russo. It's a no-win situation for him. First, he's attacked with endless "Granlund watch" questions. Next, it's all, "will Parise or Suter sign here?" If they don't, then he'll get hit with trolls asking him why they didn't sign and telling him how much the Wild suck. And if they sign Parise, then he's gonna get hit with, "Will he get to wear #9 with the "C"" questions. Cripes. He already answered that last one today. They won't take the 9 (or C) away from Koivu just for Parise.

Have to deal with emails and phone calls by fans demanding answers.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
forthewild

Quote:

Yeah poor Russo, having half a year off ( if anything he wants to keep parise and suter away) making good money and seeing the country. I will put up with idiots for that job. I already put up with idiots for far less

Old
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Okay, let's change the "poor Russo" to "@#$! you, Russo!"

Old
06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Okay, let's change the "poor Russo" to "@#$! you, Russo!"
We're not allowed to go against Russo. It's internet law.

Closed Thread