Notices

Non-Minnesota NHL News VI

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 07:54 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
For me, I just can't see why Nashville wouldn't match. I'm assuming they've got the cash on hand as they knew Suter would need a hefty contract, not to mention Weber would be in line for a bump as well. So the means to do it should be there or else they would have gone in a different direction this summer.

The only way I can see them not matching is if Weber relays to them that he absolutely wants out. Have no idea if something like that would come from Weber, though...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Another interesting point:

Detroit fans were fairly sure they were going to go get Weber after missing out on Suter. Welp, this recent development just killed that.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Interesting. Very interesting. What a gamble by Weber...if he wanted out, now his only chance is for Nashville not to re-sign. Otherwise he'll be a Pred for life. It is pretty awesome that Detroit will definitely miss out on him though

On one hand I feel for Preds fans...they signed a goalie for big money for a long time, but won't have anyone in front of him. Does that sound familiar? How did that work out for us? And they are good fans, not annoying, they are passionate. And it would suck to see talent keep going to the same handful of markets.

On the other hand, I would love to see Weber killing New Jersey for the next 10 years.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
For me, I just can't see why Nashville wouldn't match.
This was exactly my thought. They match it, bring in some of the yound D crop in their system, and move forward with a huge part of their team locked up forever (as long as he doesn't demand a trade right after they match).

Also, if the offer sheet AAV only amounts to a couple late 1st's and a late 2nd and 3rd, it kind of seems like a bargain for the Flyers. I'd expect he'd get more than that in a trade.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Interesting. Very interesting. What a gamble by Weber...if he wanted out, now his only chance is for Nashville not to re-sign. Otherwise he'll be a Pred for life. It is pretty awesome that Detroit will definitely miss out on him though

On one hand I feel for Preds fans...they signed a goalie for big money for a long time, but won't have anyone in front of him. Does that sound familiar? How did that work out for us? And they are good fans, not annoying, they are passionate. And it would suck to see talent keep going to the same handful of markets.

On the other hand, I would love to see Weber killing New Jersey for the next 10 years.
maybe Nashville just wasn't giving him the contract he wanted? This way he can get the contract he wants from Nashville if they match. If not, he still gets his money and will go to a team that competes year in and year out.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Feels to me like Weber forcing Nashville to give him the contract he wants.

If I read the AAV right, this woudn't be max compensation for Nashville (four #1) if they don't match. . . which is a fine example of why max compensation for RFAs should not be tied solely to AAV. A $100M contract isn't max compensation eligible? That's just silly.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:58 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Rumored Break Down:

Year 1 - 1M salary base + 13M signing bonus
Year 2 - 1M salary base + 13M signing bonus
Year 3 - 1M salary base + 13M signing bonus
Year 4 - 1M salary base + 13M signing bonus
Year 5 - 4M salary base + 8M signing bonus
Year 6 - 4M salary base + 8M signing bonus
Year 7 - 6M salary base
Year 8 - 6M salary base
Year 9 - 6M salary base
Year 10 - 6M salary base
Year 11 - 3M salary base
Year 12 - 1M salary base
Year 13 - 1M salary base
Year 14 - 1M salary base

Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would like to see more RFA offers. If they did extend RFA time, it would be nice to tone down the compensation picks so more teams could get in. Yeah it sounds like a bad deal for the original team, but at least guys aren't walking for nothing.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So TP they would have to give $60M up front or something like that?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
They'd need to pay those signing bonus' up front at the start of each season. Which is a problem for a team like Nashville who could, in theory, be fine spending to the cap but may not have that sort of actual cash laying around in lump sums. For a team like the Flyers, with the Comcast money, it's no real concern...

I think Nashville is going to have a tough time signing this. Not to mention what this looks like going into a potential lockout.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
forthewild

Quote:
nope, might be 13 mil now, 1 over they year, each year for 4 years.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I'm interested to see the official $$ for this deal. All we know for sure is that it's 14 years and "upwards" of $100 million. I've been seeing rumors that it could be well north of $100...possibly between $110-$120 million and HEAVILY front loaded. That might make it tough for Nashville.

Still, I have to think that Poile will match. He has to, he can't lose both Suter and Weber...the fanbase would riot.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
forthewild

Quote:
They'd need to pay those signing bonus' up front at the start of each season. Which is a problem for a team like Nashville who could, in theory, be fine spending to the cap but may not have that sort of actual cash laying around in lump sums. For a team like the Flyers, with the Comcast money, it's no real concern...

I think Nashville is going to have a tough time signing this. Not to mention what this looks like going into a potential lockout.
yup, if its a lockout they don't make the money and would be strapped for cash. but can they afford NOT to sign him, 4 late picks isn't **** compared to weber

Old
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Losing Weber and Suter would be like a reset button on that franchise. They would have been better off trading him for 1-2 high end NHL'ers.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Posted this in the general thread. Which I'm sure will go largely ignored.

Quote:
If this proposed offer sheet was strictly salary driven, I think Nashville would have matched without batting an eye. I don't believe this team would have much of a problem spending to the cap; over the course of a season.

Where this becomes tricky, is that this offer sheet is not salary driven. Speaking purely of signing bonus', Weber is to be paid out $68 million in the first 6 years on just lump sums alone. There's not a lot of business', let alone sports franchises, that have the means to do that.

It's one thing to pay the sort of money that this contract outlines over the course of a hockey season. It's completely different to expect a franchise to have $68 million freed up in terms of 6 lump sums...

Old
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If they could find a way to make it work, they should. If it would be a loan, setting money aside, getting new investors on board, something. I would like to see him stay there...

Old
07-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you think about it, they only need a one-time loan to make the initial payment, which they could probably pay back quarterly. After that, they would be able to set aside the money going forward. A business that size should have a credit line available, and I'm wondering if the NHL might help secure that line.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
If you think about it, they only need a one-time loan to make the initial payment, which they could probably pay back quarterly. After that, they would be able to set aside the money going forward. A business that size should have a credit line available, and I'm wondering if the NHL might help secure that line.
True. But how does that effect the rest of their business operating that team? That's the question in my mind. Sure, they can likely afford to sign it; with help. But what's the trickle down effect?

Old
07-19-2012, 10:01 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Whew!!! $28 million for one player during a calendar year for a team not flush with cash will be a tough pill to swallow for the Nashville ownership group....but I can't see them not matching.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Once they secure that line of credit I don't think there would be an issue. Assuming they don't have any debt/liquidity issues right now. That's why I was wondering if they had to pay the entire signing bonus up front...there's a huge difference between coming up with $10-15M versus coming up with $50-60M. Again, with their size they should be able to get that credit line and possible pay $150-200k in interest maybe over a year.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Lost Weber and get Philly in cap hell. Then offer sheet one of their top of the line players to ridiculous money.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:44 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I think Holmgren structured this so that Nashville cannot match...

Sad, but I actually wrote a FRB article about this... It intrigued me.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sick of people whining about cheat contracts. They are a reality and have been for six years. They will probably be fixed in the next CBA, but right now you give that player the money.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Kari Takko

I don't understand how holmgren could do that to a guy who gifted him hartnell, timonen, and coburn.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Another angle Nashville needs to consider is the signing bonuses and a potential lockout.....for a team that is as cash-strapped as they are, can they justify paying out $26 million in signing bonuses to one player during a period where there could potentially be lesser hockey-related revenue coming in if there is another lost partial or full season?

Closed Thread