Old
04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I just hate how this is shaking out.

We lose to a team we prolly should have beat...looks like lots of guys are hurt and turns out only a couple of em are, no this kind of quote.

The Bruins lost 3 of 4 homes games, costing their fans THOUSANDS of dollars in hard to get income and you have a guy saying "It was different this year" and he had a hard time getting up for the play-offs...As Jim Mora would say "PLAY-OFFS"? ... Fans deserve a refund then if you guys weren't getting 100%.
He said "... it just seemed different." And if the ellipses are being used correctly, that denotes a partial quote.

I don't see where he's wrong there. Of course it was different.

I'd like to see the entire interview. But maybe that's just me. People seem to be relishing the opportunity to trash players and people with different opinons, so have at it.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Mr Larkin

Has no one told these guys that they are supposed to be super heroes and should be impervious to imperfection? I don't buy their jerseys, hang their posters on my wall, and put a bumper sticker on my car so they can go out there and lose games.

Mr Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFanSam View Post
I like this:

Per Haggs Twitter:

Peter Chiarelli expects Nathan Horton is "on a full road to recovery" for next season. But also added he'll be in market for top 9 forward
Maybe top 9 in overalll NHL scoring??

minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:04 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
Has no one told these guys that they are supposed to be super heroes and should be impervious to imperfection? I don't buy their jerseys, hang their posters on my wall, and put a bumper sticker on my car so they can go out there and lose games.
Do you pay thousands of dollars for home play-off games to see your team lose 3 outta 4 because some players are "having a hard time getting up mentally"? Didn't think so.

Getting up for a play-off game for an NHL'er should be as simple as breathing.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
BergyMeister
Overpaid Grinder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by minion View Post
Maybe top 9 in overalll NHL scoring??
Let's hope that's what he meant. We have plenty of "top 9" fwds already.

BergyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
dtimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He said "... it just seemed different." And if the ellipses are being used correctly, that denotes a partial quote.

I'd like to see the entire interview. But maybe that's just me. People seem to be relishing the opportunity to trash players and people with different opinons, so have at it.
It is wrong for a professional athlete to not able to get up for the playoffs ... for a chance to repeat as champions.

I'm shocked he said that, but it's obvious that it wasn't only him that felt that way. Anyone who thinks the B's wanted it just as bad as the Caps is in denial. Even the fans didn't want it as bad as last year, go read the "Thank you Bruins" thread.

The cup changed everything, for the players as well as the fans. Everyone is a little too satisfied with themselves. I think Brad as well as a few of other players on the team are still a little immature, I don't think they've handled success as well as they could have. In hindsight losing Reechi's leadership was a bigger deal than many of us thought.

Hardest thing in all of sports is defending the title. There are many reasons. Mental/Emotional/Physical fatigue, taking everyone's best punch, complacency, etc. These aren't excuses, I think most agree they are facts. For whatever reason the 2012 Bruins were not up to the challenge. Every champion faces these same challenges, few repeat.

We can only hope they realize the opportunity they missed over the course of the summer and comeback with the desire and focus required to win the Stanley Cup.

dtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:09 PM
WBC8

Quote:

Big deal if it was different, you still have a job to do. had he said he was physically wiped from the grind the past 17 months god bless ya, but mentally it was difficult to get up for the games? What? Getting up for the game should be the easy part. Actually producing and working through physically, that's a different story.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
dtimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMeanie17 View Post
Let's hope that's what he meant. We have plenty of "top 9" fwds already.
He may as well as have said "Because of the CBA situation, the future is very uncertain, unfortunately we can not go out and get a top 3 FW like we need."

Old
04-27-2012, 02:12 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Do you pay thousands of dollars for home play-off games to see your team lose 3 outta 4 because some players are "having a hard time getting up mentally"? Didn't think so.

I always hate getting into the "thousands of dollars" for home playoff games thing because for some fans a hundred dollars for one game is a big deal, and for others "thousands" is nothing.

That being said, I'm sure Marchand is going to hear from PC and PR staff. Just a dumb thing overall to say out loud. If it happened, and because you're a young player you need to figure out how to get up for every playoff game, do us all a favor and don't tell anyone about it, just fix it.

It's kind of like the White House thing. We can debate all day whether going/not going hurt the team, but I can say one thing. It certainly didn't HELP it.

Making this comment doesn't help anybody. So don't make it.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
stick9

Maybe if they weren't partying up until a week before training camp they wouldn't be spent.

That irked me then, and it still irks me now.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
dtimmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Maybe if they weren't partying up until a week before training camp they wouldn't be spent.

Me too .... however I would have done it too. Probably explains why I never made pro.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtimmons View Post
It is wrong for a professional athlete to not able to get up for the playoffs ... for a chance to repeat as champions.

I'm shocked he said that
Except he didn't say that.

Check the original tweet. Haggerty said Marchand had "difficulty" (Haggerty's word, not Marchand's) getting up for the playoffs. We're three pages in. Probably tomorrow it'll have morphed into "Marchand didn't care about the playoffs," if it hasn't already.

"Difficulty" tells me it was a struggle, but not an impossibility. In other words, it was harder than last year. Is that a surprise?

Last edited by Artemis: 04-27-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old
04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

From every report I saw, the players were back in training by the end of July (about six weeks after the Cup win).

Getting the Cup for a day to celebrate with your friends isn't a constant party, it's a one-day break.

Where did you see reports of these guys partying "until a week before training camp"? Links?

Old
04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From every report I saw, the players were back in training by the end of July (about six weeks after the Cup win).

Getting the Cup for a day to celebrate with your friends isn't a constant party, it's a one-day break.

Where did you see reports of these guys partying "until a week before training camp"? Links?
There were events/parties that players attended in the fall after they all returned to Boston. I don't think anyone would fault them for doing whatever it is they did on their Cup Day, but the celebration really did last until the season got underway.

Not sure how much it had to do with the slow start or how the season ended, but I do think it's fair for stick to point out.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
patty59

Quote:

Not me, I was also partying all summer in celebration. That might be mine and theirs only time to have a summer like that.

It's not like the were all slobbering drunk all summer and not working out either.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:30 PM
ap3lovr

The comments speak more to the coach than the team or the individual.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WBC8

Quote:
Except he didn't say that.

Check the original tweet. Haggerty said Marchand had "difficulty" (Haggerty's word, not Marchand's) getting up for the playoffs. Three pages in. Probably tomorrow it'll have morphed into "Marchand didn't care about the playoffs," if it hasn't already.

"Difficulty" tells me it was a struggle, but not an impossibility. In other words, it was harder than last year. Is that a surprise?
You have difficulty getting up for a second day back to back in Long Island in December. Not the play-offs.

Like I said, you don't get it done, lose, give it your best shot, no problem...but to get up for a play-off game, come on. No excuse for that.

Marchand was hardly alone however it would seem.

Would you expect to hear something like this from Chara or Bergeron or Kelly or Peverley?

Old
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
There were events/parties that players attended in the fall after they all returned to Boston. I don't think anyone would fault them for doing whatever it is they did on their Cup Day, but the celebration really did last until the season got underway.

Not sure how much it had to do with the slow start or how the season ended, but I do think it's fair for stick to point out.
That comes with the territory and I will not complain if we have to go through that again next summer.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
C77

Yea I posted something to the effect that it didn't seem like the Bruins really put forth their best effort...but I didn't expect them to come out and admit it.

Huge difference between the way Ottawa went out in 7 and the way the Bruins did.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
The comments speak more to the coach than the team or the individual.
Disagree 100%. This isn't Little League.

The coach has already proven that when his system is played at 100% by his entire team it can produce a championship.

Old
Mr Larkin

Quote:

And I don't pay thousands of dollars on a home entertainment system to watch those bums lose on the road either! I'm honestly still not over that OT loss to Detroit, disgusting what we have to put up with.

Mr Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
That comes with the territory and I will not complain if we have to go through that again next summer.
I'm not complaining, but I do think it's fair to point out.

I remember there being a fair amount of concern around these parts towards the end of the summer that it seemed the party train was still rolling. It's not exactly an off the wall idea.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
patty59

Quote:
You have difficulty getting up for a second day back to back in Long Island in December. Not the play-offs.

Like I said, you don't get it done, lose, give it your best shot, no problem...but to get up for a play-off game, come on. No excuse for that.

Marchand was hardly alone however it would seem.

Would you expect to hear something like this from Chara or Bergeron or Kelly or Peverley?
No, but they're pretty bright

Anyways, until we know the entire quote and context it's hard to say what this is all about. It could have easily been "was it harder to get up mentally for this series with your feet all blistered up?" "how was this series different then the first round last year"

1. Maybe
2. It was just different.

Smear campaign commence.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

That's not up to the players. And if they have a dinner or event to attend, it's not going to take away from their training. To insinuate they did nothing but party until training camp is silly and insulting.

Old
04-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
And I don't pay thousands of dollars on a home entertainment system to watch those bums lose on the road either! I'm honestly still not over that OT loss to Detroit, disgusting what we have to put up with.
That was a home game.