HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 11:08 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
We're not getting a five or six million plus free agent under any circumstances, and I don't believe either of these guys is worth the money. I would rather make a more calculated move for a mid range salary second line center, who may end up producing more than these two guys anyway.
I wouldnt say that we arent going to get a $5-6 million player. Its probably not likely, but I think are chances are better than what you make it out to be. I just dont think Tallon would have put himself into position where he would be financially handcuffed, so Im thinking Tallon has some type of room to work with. Im not talking about $7+ million, but I think he has more play than we think.

Both of those guys would be 30 goal scorers for us, and last I checked, we dont have any of those. Sure, a center would help, but if the money is available, a Parise or Semin make more sense to this team. Both are good defensive players, and their speed fits into our system perfectly. Either one would be extremely productive in all situations for us, and would be the perfect scorer to have around for a playmaker like Huberdeau, as he makes his transition into the NHL.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Cats2TheCup

Even a guy like ray whitney would be a good enough option. We gave gudbranson jovo to mentor him , and i think Tallon will be looking to provide huberdeau with the same kind of leadership. And if bjustad is going to be our top 6 center within the next two seasons, maybe Tallon might not be looking to trade for a Staal or Stoll, therefore increasing the allure for a veteran wizard like Whitney.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:46 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats2TheCup View Post
Even a guy like ray whitney would be a good enough option. We gave gudbranson jovo to mentor him , and i think Tallon will be looking to provide huberdeau with the same kind of leadership. And if bjustad is going to be our top 6 center within the next two seasons, maybe Tallon might not be looking to trade for a Staal or Stoll, therefore increasing the allure for a veteran wizard like Whitney.
As much as i want younger - offensive players to come you have a point.. we need a suitable stopgap for our prospect to climb the ranks properly..

maybe whitney or another vet on a 2 year - 1 year deal.. even tho i think our prospect should be groomed properly and we should not rush them at all..

Old
05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Stoll will be an UFA this offseason.

Staal has one more year till he is an UFA.

Bjugstad:
Although he showed good strides from his freshman to his sophomore year, he would really need a great, great, camp to even make the big squad.

If he signs, I say it's a 99% chance he plays in the AHL to get used to the speed and size of professional Hockey.

I don't think Tallon will think too much about the prospects until they show they are ready for a certain role.
So, if Staal can be had for a reasonable price, I doubt Tallon turns it down because Bjugstad could become a Top 6 center for us.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Stoll will be an UFA this offseason.

So, if Staal can be had for a reasonable price, I doubt Tallon turns it down because Bjugstad could become a Top 6 center for us.
Hmmm... well in the case of a trade, let's think out of the box a bit here, and approach a developmental progression over the course of the next 3-4 years. I think tallon could possibly pitch a package deal of matthias ellerby and theodore for Staal. That would certainly address the holes in their defense, give them a solid third line center to basically replace staal (not saying Matthias is as good, but he is a solid third line center and thats what they were using Staal for), and give them a much better goalie. I know the theo part is risky, but that might be the only way we could seal the deal. We can try to bring Vokoun back here for a one year contract, but the risk would be that we'd be gambling that we can turn Markstrom into our starting goaltender throughout the course of the season. We can put Staal on the first line with Huberdeau who already admires Staal, and give Staal that first line center position he wants and a franchise that will fully utilize his talents. With all the talk of how happy the players are here, I'm pretty sure that we could get him to agree not to leave in free agency and resign as this organization is on the rise. Then when Bjustads ready in a couple seasons we can bring him up to the 3rd line, and then swap him with weiss after he's proven capable/dominant at the NHL level. Imagine the depth with Staal on first line, Bjustad on second (they can even be reversed down the line) and weiss on the third as he ages into an older veteran. I think it's pretty much a fair deal for both sides, and a great way to get Huberdeau his jari kurri .

Old
05-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I doubt Tallon has much desire to sign either Radulov or Semin. Radulov has already taken off once, who's to say he'll stick around now, and Semin only came over once Washington took OV. Neither has terrific attitudes, and Tallon preaches and goes after character players. That won't change. Thankfully.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:33 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I doubt Tallon has much desire to sign either Radulov or Semin. Radulov has already taken off once, who's to say he'll stick around now, and Semin only came over once Washington took OV. Neither has terrific attitudes, and Tallon preaches and goes after character players. That won't change. Thankfully.
Agree on Semin, but not Radulov, whose teammates like Fisher stood up for him and said he worked his ass off in practice. That said, I agree that it is unlikely that Tallon goes after him.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Agree on Semin, but not Radulov, whose teammates like Fisher stood up for him and said he worked his ass off in practice. That said, I agree that it is unlikely that Tallon goes after him.
Didn't know that about Radulov. Thanks for the info, still, we'll see. Looking forward to this summer.

05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Hmmm... well in the case of a trade, let's think out of the box a bit here, and approach a developmental progression over the course of the next 3-4 years. I think tallon could possibly pitch a package deal of matthias ellerby and theodore for Staal. That would certainly address the holes in their defense, give them a solid third line center to basically replace staal (not saying Matthias is as good, but he is a solid third line center and thats what they were using Staal for), and give them a much better goalie. I know the theo part is risky, but that might be the only way we could seal the deal. We can try to bring Vokoun back here for a one year contract, but the risk would be that we'd be gambling that we can turn Markstrom into our starting goaltender throughout the course of the season. We can put Staal on the first line with Huberdeau who already admires Staal, and give Staal that first line center position he wants and a franchise that will fully utilize his talents. With all the talk of how happy the players are here, I'm pretty sure that we could get him to agree not to leave in free agency and resign as this organization is on the rise. Then when Bjustads ready in a couple seasons we can bring him up to the 3rd line, and then swap him with weiss after he's proven capable/dominant at the NHL level. Imagine the depth with Staal on first line, Bjustad on second (they can even be reversed down the line) and weiss on the third as he ages into an older veteran. I think it's pretty much a fair deal for both sides, and a great way to get Huberdeau his jari kurri .
Think they would rather have Goc over Matthias as a replacement for Staal

Old
05-13-2012, 07:32 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
I can almost guarantee you that Semin is a more likely target than Radulov, and that's not just because Radulov is a RFA and Semin an UFA. Radulov got caught floating on several of Nashvilles goals against vs Pheonix. He just did seem motivated or to care at all. He has the talent, but his ego is disgusting. Got tons of pepper from the TSN analysts too for his back-checking. Radulov is everything Tallon hates, Semin works harder and is more talented imo. I'll take Semin any day over Radulov, and so would Tallon I assume.

And I think it's more and more likely Parise re-signs in New Jersey after this run. If we beat them out (like we maybe should have), the story might have gotten a different ending. But I see him signing long-term, unless he absolutely hates NJ as an area or what's a change of scenery. He is also the captain, which I would guess makes it even tougher to walk out on them. I expect the UFA market to be like years past pretty boring, and that the big names Parise/Suter re-signing with their respective teams. It's the same story every year, big UFA names that everyone wants sign with their team a week before the deadline and kill the buzz.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Pantherfan12

I read on Bleaker Report ( I know it's not reliable, but found it interesting) that they have Tallon signing Ryan Suter. I am not sure if it's true,especially if he resigns G-52 and having The Strachen with a contract, but if Garrison doesn't resign what do you guys think?
In regards to Semin or Radulov, do you think they would even be thought of by Tallon? I mean no doubt Semin has talent, but does he have a good attitude? Is he going to be a premadonna? Will he be like Horton and float? Is he the best option? Is there anyone else you see Tallon going after ? Do you think he'll try to dangle our 1st round pick this year as well as some prospects to get a bonafied top 6 guy?

Old
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

If he doesn't re-sign Garrison, I'm sure he'd search out signing Suter as much as possible. May have a leg up with Santos being here. Would be a lot tied up in D with either he or Garry. Changes would redness to be made to make it work. And I have no idea what those would be. Perhaps move Kuli, begging Jovo to retire? Lol, no idea.

Will be shocked if either Semin or Radulov is re-signed. Not happily, either.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
I would say there's a 3.3333333 percent chance of seeing Semin, Redulov, or any of the names listed in this board. Radulov is the most likely because of his rocky background.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
FrolikFan67

well i dont see us signing parise because we're stacked at LW for next season: fleischmann, huberdeau (most likely will play LW rather than center), and bergenheim.when kovalchuk and parise are out there at the same time isnt that the reason kovi plays RW instead of LW, cuz of parise? now semin, im not sure about his character but his skill set, we could realllllly use them. i doubt we sign him because of the potential character issues, which is annoying because if he was fine in that sense then id like to see us make a big push for him, RW is one of our more weaker position and we need scoring: versteeg (fa but we'll resign him), upshall, skille, those are 3 of our rw's, we'll probably sign a 4th one, possibly samuelsson but boy a player of semin's talent, especially being a rw, that would help a lot. its just the character issues hat come to question and i doubt tallon pursues him because of that...but i'd still like to see him try, we could could his talents.
also, if we're going to try to trade for jordan staal, its gonna take more than matthias, ellerby (rfa) and theodore. i think talks start with howden, matthias to fill the gap at 3rd line (or 4th line) center, and possibly a D but i dont see any of our current top 6 D getting moved along with howden and matthias, so possibly someone like ellerby, or a prospect like robak or petrovic. i'd propose howden + '12 1st rounder (i dont see anything interesting at 17th overall, very deep D draft, they can take a D if they want) + matthias (fill a gap at center, young, cheap) + rights to ellerby (they have orpik, letang, michalek, engelland, lovejoy under contract, i see them trying to resign niskanen, possibly trading martin, and if they do then ellerby could be their 6th or 7th D) for staal + 4th. stall's contract comes off the books, they wouldnt have to worry about resigning him. they already ahve crosby and malkin up the middle. kunitz and neal on lw. i know theyd like a top line RW, but they have dupuis and kennedy, this would free up some money to pursue a top line winger, gives them a top prospect in howden, a mid 1st round pick this year, a young/cheap center to fill a gap on the 3rd or 4th line center, a young D to fight for a bottom 3 spot and giving them an option to trade martin and free up that money w/ michalek, letang, orpik, engelland, lovejoy all under contract. plus an option to sign ellerby and to resign niskanen.
idk how far off i may be from that proposal but i feel like anything that we'd offer for jordan stall would have to start with howden. and i know he's one of our top prospects and he looks sick, but he may be burried because he's been playing LW mostly (not center) and we're going to have flash, huberdeau, and bergenheim. so if he could use him to fetch a top line center in staal, big, tall, has size, plays well defensively, and can score, thatd be huge for us, and would probably benefit us more than howden ever can for us. howden + '12 1st + matthias + rights to ellerby/robak for staal + 4th. it helps pittsbugh because it helps them financially by getting rid of stall plus giving them an option to get rid of martin on D. howden could potentially crack the roster as 3rd line LW. gives them a mid-round 1st. and ive already stated about matthias and ellerby.

Fleischmann-Staal-Versteeg (wouldnt semin look nice on the 1st line, w/ versteeg on the 2nd? =P)
Huberdeau-Weiss-?Samuelsson?
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall
Kopecky-Smithson-Skille/Bradley

Last edited by FrolikFan67: 05-14-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
well i dont see us signing parise because we're stacked at LW for next season: fleischmann, huberdeau (most likely will play LW rather than center), and bergenheim.when kovalchuk and parise are out there at the same time isnt that the reason kovi plays RW instead of LW, cuz of parise? now semin, im not sure about his character but his skill set, we could realllllly use them. i doubt we sign him because of the potential character issues, which is annoying because if he was fine in that sense then id like to see us make a big push for him, RW is one of our more weaker position and we need scoring: versteeg (fa but we'll resign him), upshall, skille, those are 3 of our rw's, we'll probably sign a 4th one, possibly samuelsson but boy a player of semin's talent, especially being a rw, that would help a lot. its just the character issues hat come to question and i doubt tallon pursues him because of that...but i'd still like to see him try, we could could his talents.
also, if we're going to try to trade for jordan staal, its gonna take more than matthias, ellerby (rfa) and theodore. i think talks start with howden, matthias to fill the gap at 3rd line (or 4th line) center, and possibly a D but i dont see any of our current top 6 D getting moved along with howden and matthias, so possibly someone like ellerby, or a prospect like robak or petrovic. i'd propose howden + '12 1st rounder (i dont see anything interesting at 17th overall, very deep D draft, they can take a D if they want) + matthias (fill a gap at center, young, cheap) + rights to ellerby (they have orpik, letang, michalek, engelland, lovejoy under contract, i see them trying to resign niskanen, possibly trading martin, and if they do then ellerby could be their 6th or 7th D) for staal + 4th. stall's contract comes off the books, they wouldnt have to worry about resigning him. they already ahve crosby and malkin up the middle. kunitz and neal on lw. i know theyd like a top line RW, but they have dupuis and kennedy, this would free up some money to pursue a top line winger, gives them a top prospect in howden, a mid 1st round pick this year, a young/cheap center to fill a gap on the 3rd or 4th line center, a young D to fight for a bottom 3 spot and giving them an option to trade martin and free up that money w/ michalek, letang, orpik, engelland, lovejoy all under contract. plus an option to sign ellerby and to resign niskanen.
idk how far off i may be from that proposal but i feel like anything that we'd offer for jordan stall would have to start with howden. and i know he's one of our top prospects and he looks sick, but he may be burried because he's been playing LW mostly (not center) and we're going to have flash, huberdeau, and bergenheim. so if he could use him to fetch a top line center in staal, big, tall, has size, plays well defensively, and can score, thatd be huge for us, and would probably benefit us more than howden ever can for us. howden + '12 1st + matthias + rights to ellerby/robak for staal + 4th. it helps pittsbugh because it helps them financially by getting rid of stall plus giving them an option to get rid of martin on D. howden could potentially crack the roster as 3rd line LW. gives them a mid-round 1st. and ive already stated about matthias and ellerby.

Fleischmann-Staal-Versteeg (wouldnt semin look nice on the 1st line, w/ versteeg on the 2nd? =P)
Huberdeau-Weiss-?Samuelsson?
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall
Kopecky-Smithson-Skille/Bradley
If I'm Pittsburgh I'm loving this trade. Florida I think would be giving way too much. Just my opinion.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
If I'm Pittsburgh I'm loving this trade. Florida I think would be giving way too much. Just my opinion.
There's trade in there?

Old
05-14-2012, 09:01 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

I know ya'll gonna crucify me for saying this, but I'm calling it. OJ is coming back.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I know ya'll gonna crucify me for saying this, but I'm calling it. OJ is coming back.
Makes no sense to bring him back. Certainly hope not. Represents a bad time, gave up, why bring him back? He's no Jovo and isn't remembered as fondly.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:13 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Makes no sense to bring him back. Certainly hope not. Represents a bad time, gave up, why bring him back? He's no Jovo and isn't remembered as fondly.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want him back either.

Just got this gut feeling about it.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't want him back either.

Just got this gut feeling about it.
If Huberdeau is playing wing, this is a strong possibility IMO.

The guy had 60+ points last year. I don't see much harm in bringing him in on a one or two year deal if the price is right.

We need another top 6 center badly.

We need to keep Goc at 3C where he is perfectly suited.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dude View Post
Can't see. Eyes hurt. Argh.....

Old
05-15-2012, 12:10 AM
KW

Quote:
I think it's fair to say there's some controversy surrounding Olli's last couple of months with the Panthers. GR claims that he was no locker room cancer, but says that at the end, islands were created. It was cliques supposedly and not cancer. But I don't know who to believe.

Enough time has passed and the team and front office have changed over completely, I don't think all that stuff matters. The main question is, can he still play at a high level, and can he help the team? If DT thinks the answer is yes, publicity wise it would probably be a good move. Especially if a Semin or a Suter or a Staal is signed as well.

Olli might be very motivated to bring his A game to his old team, that is now on the verge of making some noise. He might go for a home town discount....

Having said that, I'm not sure DT will do it. If he acquires Olli, the good news is it probably won't be the big trade or acquisition of the summer.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:46 AM
ShootIt

I have a feeling Tallon will talk to Weiss about OJ.

Get some insight on Jokinen and his time here.

He can be a suitable #2 while Bjugstad, Shore and others grow in the AHL.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Jovo has to go, he's the sole reason we didn't beat NJ IMO.
I use his play the two weeks before he got hurt in the fight as evidence.
I swore up and down to everyone that he'd go go Jovocop for the playoffs like before he was hurt.
Instead, he went jovocabe. Did nothing. Threw a couple guys down after they already got rid of the puck. Do something Dale, please.
(sorry to anyone texting me, as my phone hasn't been sending or receiving them )

Old
05-15-2012, 01:06 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
There's trade in there?
I know, right That is a bit tough on the eyes.

Closed Thread