HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherkidd101 View Post
Olli to NYI.

Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
What are people's thoughts on Ray Whitney for a year? The guy still produces at a high level. He could play wing.
I don't like him, but I wouldn't mind him coming aboard.

06-28-2012, 11:09 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

As some have eluded to, I have a feeling Dale Tallon will try to bring in Semin. Personality aside, he is the sniper we need. He would instantly become our best forward and there is nothing better than a russian star forward carrying a team (See Bure, Ovechkin, Kovalchuck ATL). He would be excellent in SO's and could score 40 goals if healthy.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Dineen Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
As some have eluded to, I have a feeling Dale Tallon will try to bring in Semin. Personality aside, he is the sniper we need. He would instantly become our best forward and there is nothing better than a russian star forward carrying a team (See Bure, Ovechkin, Kovalchuck ATL). He would be excellent in SO's and could score 40 goals if healthy.
I can think of a lot of situations better than a russian star like one of those guys leading a team...What did any of them win? Besides a scoring title I guess....unless you were being sarcastic.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:03 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I think Hubs is going to play the wing. In a dream world;

Flash Weiss Versteeg
Hubs Jokinen Semin
Bergie Goc Upshall
Skille Smithson Kopecky
I would love seeing this line-up for next year. Hope it happens, DT please make it work.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I would love seeing this line-up for next year. Hope it happens, DT please make it work.
No thanks. No to Olli, not a fan of Semin coming in.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Erick

Quote:
Olli to NYI.

I haven't seen this anywhere.

Edit: Nvm, just saw it on GR's twitter. You made it sound like it was official, though...

Last edited by Erick: 06-29-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old
06-29-2012, 05:28 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
After signing Versteeg & Kulikov, you figure there will be around 6M of that left.
$3,194,167 of that will go to Huber.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Olli to NYI.

So if Olli signs with a team that is as worse as the Flames. FAIL.

Last edited by Boothinator: 06-29-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old
06-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScrewy View Post
Is there really no possibility at all that Huberdeau can start out at the center spot? I know it's a lot to ask, but a guy like Semin on his wing is the absolute perfect linemate for a play making center like Huberdeau.

Flash-Weiss-Versteeg
Upshall-Huberdeau-Semin
Bergie-Goc-Kopecky
Matthias-Smithson-Skille

It just looks so damn pretty.
Why would Semin end up playing behind Versteeg? Semin is definitely the better scorer so it makes no sense to have him on the 2nd line. Regardless, I dont think Huberdeau plays center next yr unless he comes into camp at about 190 lbs. He's gotta get a lot stronger or he'll get beaten at just about every faceoff.

I agree that Jokinen is probably not an option if we sign Semin. Also I think that means we dont acquire anyone else either TBH. Here's what I came up with in terms of a roster with cap hits:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
With Semin
FORWARDS
Tomas Fleischmann ($4.500m) / Stephen Weiss ($3.100m) / Alexander Semin ($8.333m)
Jonathan Huberdeau ($3.194m) / Marcel Goc ($1.700m) / Kris Versteeg ($4.250m)
Sean Bergenheim ($2.750m) / Tomas Kopecky ($3.000m) / Scottie Upshall ($3.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($0.852m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Jack Skille ($0.825m)
Krystofer Barch ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Erik Gudbranson ($3.200m)
Dmitry Kulikov ($3.000m) / Mike Weaver ($1.100m)
Ed Jovanovski ($4.125m) / Tyson Strachan ($0.600m)
Keaton Ellerby ($0.850m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jose Theodore ($1.500m)
Dan Ellis ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,551,667; BONUSES: $4,600,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $14,028,333
http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculato...er.php?id=9309

I can see that being a realistic amount for Viner and Panthers ownership to be willing to spend. They were over $55M last yr anyway so increase of about $5M after making the playoffs is reasonable.

Old
06-29-2012, 06:47 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
$3,194,167 of that will go to Huber.
Just a a cap hit though. His salary will be a third of that. *

Old
06-29-2012, 07:05 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Alexander Semin ($8.333m)
Wooah, 8.3 for Semin and possibly on a long-term contract? No way man.

5-6 million on a max 3 year deal and I'll deal with it. Anything above that and I'll be seriously pissed off.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
So if Olli signs with a team that is as worse as the Flames. FAIL.
Eh, I like what the Islanders have going on. They're in for a much better near-future than Calgary. If their D improves I could see them making the playoffs this year.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Wooah, 8.3 for Semin and possibly on a long-term contract? No way man.

5-6 million on a max 3 year deal and I'll deal with it. Anything above that and I'll be seriously pissed off.
There is zero chance Semin signs for 5-6 million after making 6.7million this past season. I even felt that my number may be too low to get him to sign. But I figured a 6 yr deal for around $50M on a front loaded deal may work for him (11M, 10M, 10M, 9M, 5M, 5M). His next 4 yrs should be his prime and if he takes a dive after he's 32 yrs old, that won't be as bad for us still. Id be pissed off if Tallon low balls him like you're suggesting and he tells us to get lost.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:23 AM
ShootIt

Paying one person 11 million is a lot, especially for this team. No way Viner could stomach that.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There is zero chance Semin signs for 5-6 million after making 6.7million this past season. I even felt that my number may be too low to get him to sign. But I figured a 6 yr deal for around $50M on a front loaded deal may work for him (11M, 10M, 10M, 9M, 5M, 5M). His next 4 yrs should be his prime and if he takes a dive after he's 32 yrs old, that won't be as bad for us still. Id be pissed off if Tallon low balls him like you're suggesting and he tells us to get lost.
Not trying to sound racist or anything, but Russian players are known to have motivation issues. IMO it's a huge risk to give a frontloaded contract to a Russian player, let alone pay the guy 8.3 million annually.

Seriously, DO NOT WANT. Let the other GMs waste their owners money.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Flyers fan here--

I don't normally do this--in fact, I hate when posters do this--but I don't have time to read through the entirety of this off-season thread, let alone the 12-part Luongo thread on the trade board.

I saw on Insider Trading that the Panthers had rejected Gilles's opening offer / proposal re: Luongo. Any sense / rumors about what that proposal included from Florida?

Thanks-

Old
06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Flyers fan here--

I don't normally do this--in fact, I hate when posters do this--but I don't have time to read through the entirety of this off-season thread, let alone the 12-part Luongo thread on the trade board.

I saw on Insider Trading that the Panthers had rejected Gilles's opening offer / proposal re: Luongo. Any sense / rumors about what that proposal included from Florida?

Thanks-
Gillis wanted Bjugstad. Tallon emphatically declined.

Old
06-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Gillis wanted Bjugstad. Tallon emphatically declined.
Makes sense--thanks.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Peter Griffin

If I had to guess Gillis is seeking a roster player, prospect and a pick in return for Luongo. It's no surprise that Gillis covets a young player with size that can play, so Bjugstad was/is his obvious target and it's no shock Tallon wouldn't want to part with him.

Would the Panthers have any interest in Mason Raymond? I wonder if he could be part of any potential deal.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If I had to guess Gillis is seeking a roster player, prospect and a pick in return for Luongo. It's no surprise that Gillis covets a young player with size that can play, so Bjugstad was/is his obvious target and it's no shock Tallon wouldn't want to part with him.

Would the Panthers have any interest in Mason Raymond? I wonder if he could be part of any potential deal.
Raymond is an enigma. He's kinda never lived up to what he was supposed to be. He's one of those guys who has all of the parts but just can't put them together.

Give me Hansen instead.

But i still don't know what we'd offer in return. Some days this trade seems so simple, and other days, it seems it'll just never happen.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Not really sure what his role is on the Canucks, could you shed some light to his role?

2nd line RW and 3rd line RW are still sort of open, especially if Upshall is included in a deal for Lu.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Not really sure what his role is on the Canucks, could you shed some light to his role?
He's kind of a tweener really. Hasn't put it all together offensively(aside from his 25 goal season two years ago) to be a legit top 6 player, and doesn't play the type of style AV likes to employ in the bottom 6.

The problem with the Canucks is that he hasn't meshed well with Kesler as of late as neither guy is a solid playmaker. Raymond has loads of speed, but his hands and overall vision just don't match. With a legit playmaker I think he could be a successful top 6 player. Last season was a tough one for him as well considering he was coming off that horrible back injury he suffered in the Finals.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:

2nd line RW and 3rd line RW are still sort of open, especially if Upshall is included in a deal for Lu.
I like Raymond's play.. BUT he is very inconsistent, don't know if he doesn't have chemistry with any of the players on the Canucks. But with his size (6" is decent for a winger) and his speed I think he would fit really well with the Panthers, he could fit into the top 6. Just would hope he could put up points like he did a few seasons ago. Kinda reminds me of a David Booth kind of player, but a little different.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Catsfan7

Quote:
He's kind of a tweener really. Hasn't put it all together offensively(aside from his 25 goal season two years ago) to be a legit top 6 player, and doesn't play the type of style AV likes to employ in the bottom 6.

The problem with the Canucks is that he hasn't meshed well with Kesler as of late as neither guy is a solid playmaker. Raymond has loads of speed, but his hands and overall vision just don't match. With a legit playmaker I think he could be a successful top 6 player. Last season was a tough one for him as well considering he was coming off that horrible back injury he suffered in the Finals.
So, he's David Booth 2.0?

Old
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Diamonddog01

Just curious, could Panthers fans tell me a bit more about Matthias?

He got 24 points last, 22 of them ES which is pretty good for a bottom 6 player. Also has size.

How's his skating? His defensive game? Would he be able to centre a third line? Don't know too much about him.

Perhaps he could be included in a Luongo deal?

Closed Thread