HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 09:35 AM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Alas, I wish I could agree. We out-performed expectations,but still only qualified for the playoffs on the last day. We need to continue to bring in youth in order to improve in the long run. As for money, our owners unfortunately are not rich by NHL standards.
Bringing in 4 or 5 rookies at once won't make getting into the playoffs any easier. I think one or two a year is a good rate. Even then, only if they merit it. Rushing prospects will hurt us in the long run.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

I think you'll see 1-2 rookies make the team with a slew of familiar names/new faces making cameo appearances during the year.

I think you'll see one new veteran addition to the top 6 - either via trade or free agency. If the club expects Huberdeau to play wing, it will be a center. Right now the club only has one top 6 C (Weiss). Hopefully #11 develops as a center, since we desperately need a 1C (which Huberdeau won't be this year regardless).

Old
05-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think you'll see 1-2 rookies make the team with a slew of familiar names/new faces making cameo appearances during the year.

I think you'll see one new veteran addition to the top 6 - either via trade or free agency. If the club expects Huberdeau to play wing, it will be a center. Right now the club only has one top 6 C (Weiss). Hopefully #11 develops as a center, since we desperately need a 1C (which Huberdeau won't be this year regardless).
But what if the org sees Bjugstad as the future #1 C and sees Huberdeau as a natural winger to compliment him? Then it would make sense to keep Huby as a winger and just get a stop gap center to play alongside him. I think this makes the most sense and it's usually easier for a prospect to break into the league as a winger than a center.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
Bringing in 4 or 5 rookies at once won't make getting into the playoffs any easier. I think one or two a year is a good rate. Even then, only if they merit it. Rushing prospects will hurt us in the long run.
Three minimum (Markstrom, Huberdeau, Howden) IMO. I also think that Replik has an outside chance.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Three minimum (Markstrom, Huberdeau, Howden) IMO. I also think that Replik has an outside chance.
Markstrom for sure, Huberdeau (99.9% chance), Howden or Bjugstad (60-70%).

Not sure if I would rather see Howden or Bjugstad.. thats a tough one.

Does anyone think we get to see Shirokov play? I think he would be a great addition, something similar to Radulov?

Old
05-06-2012, 04:59 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Markstrom for sure, Huberdeau (99.9% chance), Howden or Bjugstad (60-70%).

Not sure if I would rather see Howden or Bjugstad.. thats a tough one.

Does anyone think we get to see Shirokov play? I think he would be a great addition, something similar to Radulov?
I would probably rather see Howden, because I want to bring Bjugstad in slowly because he could really be special with Huberdeau creating space for him if we let him develop properly. Plus Howden already has the speed and defensive game to play in the NHL.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:14 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Alas, I wish I could agree. We out-performed expectations,but still only qualified for the playoffs on the last day. We need to continue to bring in youth in order to improve in the long run. As for money, our owners unfortunately are not rich by NHL standards.
We didnt qualify for the playoffs the last day, and even though we did qualify in the game against Washington, how many other teams qualified during the final 2-3 games of the season? We might have out-performed outsider expectations, but the only thing that matters is what the players, coaches, and management think and expect. If anything, we underperformed to close out the regular season.

As far as bring in youth to improve in the long run, that is a given for any team in the league, and for any team in any other professional sports league.

Quote:
No way four make the team next year, even three, especially considering that not only does Tallon plan to either sign or trade for a top six forward, but we also are almost set upfront as well. Markstrom and Huberdeau are the only near locks for next season, and I expect the only other time we see a rookie play with the Panthers, would be injury call ups. And regarding Repik, I expect him to be a trade piece, considering that we are starting to see some of our better prospects get to San Antonio.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:16 PM
pantherbot

I wonder if there is any way Tallon can convince Jovo to retire and then put that money towards Garrison...

I don't know if Staal is a possibility, but if he is available I would love to have him. I'd be willing to give up this year's 1st, a 2nd and one (maybe two) of our top prospects (Bjugstad, Petrovic, Shore, Howden, Robak) on the condition that we can sign him long term.

I'd also like to see Tallon try to sign Weiss to an extension so that it won't be a distraction through next season.

Do all that, drop our UFA's, buy out Santo, re-sign Versteeg and Garrison (~$4-4.5 mill), re-up Ellerby and Kuli, and we could have a line up looking like the below for a bit less than $60 million which isn't that much of a stretch given our hit last year was around $56 million.

Fleischmann - Weiss - Versteeg
Huberdeau - Staal - Upshall
Kopecky - Goc - Bergenheim
Matthias - Smithson - Skille
Bradley

Campbell - Garrison
Kulikov - Gudbranson
Strachan - Weaver
Ellerby

Theodore
Markstrom

I think we would be quite competitive if we could pull this off. We'd have two solid top lines (not quite first lines but better than second lines), two solid bottom lines, and our very good D return with Jovo replaced by Strachan. Of course it's all dependent on what happens with Jovanovski and Staal...

Old
05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I wonder if there is any way Tallon can convince Jovo to retire and then put that money towards Garrison...
That money is spent anyway, doesn't matter if Jovo is playing or not. He's on a 35+ contract, it counts towards the cap even if the player retires or gets buried to the AHL.

Only way we don't have to pay is that Jovo suffers a career ending injury like Pronger, and spends the rest of his contract on the LTIR.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
If the club expects Huberdeau to play wing, it will be a center. Right now the club only has one top 6 C (Weiss). Hopefully #11 develops as a center, since we desperately need a 1C (which Huberdeau won't be this year regardless).
I have a hunch that Huberdeau plays the majority of his NHL career as a winger. I just don't see him sizing up well against many other top line centers in the SE, or against the rest of the conference for that matter. Besides, I'd kind of like to see him given a pass with defensive responsibilities since his offensive talents are what this team needs now and in the future. Being a center necessitates more defensive awareness and responsibility. I think we have a solid core of defensive minded forwards for now. We need to open up our offense and I think converting him to winger will allow for that.

Quote:
As much as I rooted and pimped out Repik in years past, I think his potential is tapped out and at this point what you see is what you get. Good top-6 AHL winger with callup bona-fides, but not an NHL regular at this point.

And I'm almost positive that Howden needs a year or two in the A to get adjusted to the pro-game. I'm sure he'll get spot duty next season though in the event of an injury.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
That money is spent anyway, doesn't matter if Jovo is playing or not. He's on a 35+ contract, it counts towards the cap even if the player retires or gets buried to the AHL.

Only way we don't have to pay is that Jovo suffers a career ending injury like Pronger, and spends the rest of his contract on the LTIR.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:51 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I have a hunch that Huberdeau plays the majority of his NHL career as a winger. I just don't see him sizing up well against many other top line centers in the SE, or against the rest of the conference for that matter. Besides, I'd kind of like to see him given a pass with defensive responsibilities since his offensive talents are what this team needs now and in the future. Being a center necessitates more defensive awareness and responsibility. I think we have a solid core of defensive minded forwards for now. We need to open up our offense and I think converting him to winger will allow for that.
You make some valid points and the organization may see things your way. I hope they don't though. I'd still rather see him develop at C.

Keep in mind that Huberdeau's primary strength is not as a goal scorer (although he can do that very well). It's as a player who has excellent offensive on ice awareness and creates opportunities for his linemates.

Maybe Bjugstad will be the big #1 C we've been waiting for. I wouldn't let that influence how we develop #11.

Let him learn to play both ends of the ice. Star scoring wingers who don't play defense win regular season games and sell tickets but don't win when it matters most. Star #1 centers win championships.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
pantherbot

Quote:

damn i forgot about that...if that's the case then we're kind of stuck. I don't see us hitting $60 million this coming season and I really think Versteeg and Garrison will require ~$4 million.

It's looking less likely that we can keep Versteeg and Garrison in addition to bringing in a legit top-6 guy. Hope Tallon has a few tricks up his sleeve...

Old
05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

The cap hit remains, but we aren't a cap team. We have an internal cap that the Jovo hit won't affect.

The team doesn't have to actually pay him if he retires.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:19 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
The cap hit remains, but we aren't a cap team. We have an internal cap that the Jovo hit won't affect.

The team doesn't have to actually pay him if he retires.
Good point, then my initial wish stands although I doubt it'll happen

Old
05-06-2012, 09:18 PM
ShootIt

I think we'll develop Huberdeau like Giroux IIRC. Start him at wing, then move him to center once he develops his defensive game

Old
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Think it depends on who Tallon bring in, who's moved in and/or out, and how Jugs and some that are drafted along the way develop as to whether or not he becomes or is a center. I'm preferring the wing due to his size, but I don't care, just want him to dominate!

05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I think we'll develop Huberdeau like Giroux IIRC. Start him at wing, then move him to center once he develops his defensive game
Funny, I was thinking of Giroux as I was typing my post.

You may be right.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
/win for TG reference.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:18 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Repik won't make this team IMO. He'll be an AHL lifer or head to Europe. I'd bet he's Europe bound.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Do you guys know if Chris Stewart is still in St. Louis' plans? Wouldn't mind getting him.

-ghoste

Old
05-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
damn i forgot about that...if that's the case then we're kind of stuck. I don't see us hitting $60 million this coming season and I really think Versteeg and Garrison will require ~$4 million.

It's looking less likely that we can keep Versteeg and Garrison in addition to bringing in a legit top-6 guy. Hope Tallon has a few tricks up his sleeve...
In the season ending presser Tallon said he wanted to do exactly that. And he also sounded like he really wants to re-sign Sammy as well. Tallon has seemed pretty confident all season that he'll re-sign Garrison, so we'll see. He's not stupid, he knows what he could get in UFA. I don't think he'll pay what Garry could get as the highest offer, but maybe Garry takes a slight paycut to stay here.

I don't think Tallon is going to be able to get someone like Semin or Parise if he goes the free agent route. He's probably going to have to settle for someone like Penner, Stempniak, or Jones. Not the scoring hero we all want but more productive than Skille, Bradley or Matthias. Actually Penner hasn't been that bad in the playoffs, we'd have to keep him away from pancakes but Tallon was rumored to be interested in trading for him at the 2010 draft if anyone remembers that far back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Do you guys know if Chris Stewart is still in St. Louis' plans? Wouldn't mind getting him.

-ghoste
He turned it around in the playoffs. I'd say unless they get fair value back it doesn't make sense for them to move him. I'd say it's unlikely they trade him.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:03 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post

-ghoste
He is so frustratingly inconsistent that I'm not sure I'd want him on the team even if he was available.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Dineen Youngblood

At least we know whoever we sign or trade for is on Chicago/Nashville or has played for Chicago/Nashville at some point in the last 5-6 years. (cough) Ellerby, Matthias, 1st for Kane (cough)

Old
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Cats2TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I second this. Once he understands the level of play in the nhl and puts some weight on him i cant not see him breaking out as a center and dominating the game at that position. Bjustad in my opinion will become a really good second line center, as much as id like to see hubby slashing around bjustad, his brilliance is in his vision of the ice, he's a two way player, and he makes every one around him better. Also, id rather let garrisson go as much as i love what he did for us, Campbell fed him those goals on a golden platter. Let's get gudbranson on the same shot practice routine garrisson was on (500 a day or so if I remember) and let him rip em on the pp. Guys got a freakin cannon. Garrison just won't be scoring as much without Campbell. Were deep enough in our defense to put that money into a stall type offenseman.

Last edited by Cats2TheCup: 05-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Closed Thread