HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2012, 02:39 PM
  #76
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Polasek is still a project. His decision making is not up to an AHL level yet.
If Polasek's decision making is not up to an AHL level, I shudder to think how Parent would be described. But, I don't necessarily agree. He had some rough games and some good games this year but IMO those last 2 games before the end of the year should've seen him take Parent's spot in the lineup easily.

I think Polasek needs a lot of development to make the NHL but he has as big of an upside as Connauton, IMO.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 02:47 PM
  #77
Canuckee
Registered User
 
Canuckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If Polasek's decision making is not up to an AHL level, I shudder to think how Parent would be described. But, I don't necessarily agree. He had some rough games and some good games this year but IMO those last 2 games before the end of the year should've seen him take Parent's spot in the lineup easily.

I think Polasek needs a lot of development to make the NHL but he has as big of an upside as Connauton, IMO.
I loved the Polasek pick at the draft and still do. He has great tools and if he puts it together he could turn into a reliable defensemen for us. Does he play similar to Edler with less offensive skill?

Canuckee is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
  #78
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
Eddie Lack, as I'm sure many will point out, has yet to prove anything. Lots of goalkeepers star in the AHL and never make it to the NHL. Still, is there any question that Lack is now the Canucks' top prospect? I'm optimistic that some out of all the prospects on the Wolves D -- Polasek, Connauton, Sauve, and now Corrado -- will eventually see time with the big team, and I still have hopes for Schroeder, Rodin, and Jensen, but Lack seems the only one with big upside. Does anybody else on the Wolves have a shot at being an NHL star? I don't think so.
He's not our top prospect but rather our most NHL ready prospect and the word "prospect" is pretty loose on him because next season is the now or never year for him (in terms of this organization). At 25 (next year), its really hard to still consider him a prospect but he still has a lot of upside. Looks like he'll be following the same path as the person he probably will backup next year...

Would it be ironic if 2 years from now we are in the same situation as now (with 1 different goalie in the mix)?

denkiteki is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 03:08 PM
  #79
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
I loved the Polasek pick at the draft and still do. He has great tools and if he puts it together he could turn into a reliable defensemen for us. Does he play similar to Edler with less offensive skill?
It's difficult for an expert to evaluate a player from highlights, and I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but the video posted in the Prospects thread at least suggests Polasek is a good skater, and he's also big. I'm officially, inexpertly, optimistic on that basis.

It's striking, looking over the year-end stats, how Tanev sticks out among the Wolves defencemen, and yet he's not projected as a big point producer from the back end. It's a reminder of what many have pointed out: to make it even as a defensive specialist in the NHL, players usually need to show ability with the puck at lower levels. I suppose this means that Polasek will need to be more productive with the Wolves next year to indicate he's developing toward being even a bottom pairing kind of guy with the big club.


Last edited by lindgren: 04-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
lindgren is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 03:14 PM
  #80
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
He's not our top prospect but rather our most NHL ready prospect and the word "prospect" is pretty loose on him because next season is the now or never year for him (in terms of this organization). At 25 (next year), its really hard to still consider him a prospect but he still has a lot of upside. Looks like he'll be following the same path as the person he probably will backup next year...

Would it be ironic if 2 years from now we are in the same situation as now (with 1 different goalie in the mix)?
You're probably right about him not being our top prospect, from a few perspectives. The erratic way goalkeepers progress, it's still uncertain whether he'll even make it as an NHL backup. On the other hand, who has a higher potential upside? I wouldn't be shocked if Lack turns into a top 15 goalkeeper in the NHL. I'd be surprised if any of our current forward prospects with the Wolves end up being an above-average second-liner (with the possible exception of Jensen, who is still very young), and I'd be surprised if any of the defensemen end up being an above-average second-pairing guy.

lindgren is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 03:15 PM
  #81
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
It's striking, looking over the year-end stats, how Tanev sticks out among the Wolves defencemen, and yet he's not projected as a big point producer from the back end. It's a reminder of what many have pointed out: to make it even as a defensive specialist in the NHL, players usually need to show ability with the puck at lower levels. I suppose this means that Polasek will need to be more productive with the Wolves next year to indicate he's developing toward being even a bottom pairing kind of guy with the big club.
I wouldn't say Tanev sticks out offensively at the AHL level. He posted a 33 point pace while playing on the PP. Polasek hasn't really been a regular on the PP and certainly not on the 1st unit and posted a 16 point pace. Then you have to consider that Tanev is 1.5 years older.

I'm optimistic about Polasek — when he's on he can really dominate a game so if he can improve his consistency and decision making then he'll definitely be an NHLer. Then again, he might never take that step and top out as a great AHLer.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 03:20 PM
  #82
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I wouldn't say Tanev sticks out. He posted a 33 point pace while playing on the PP. Polasek hasn't really been a regular on the PP and certainly not on the 1st unit and posted a 16 point pace. Then you have to consider that Tanev is 1.5 years older.

I'm optimistic about Polasek — when he's on he can really dominate a game so if he can improve his consistency and decision making then he'll definitely be an NHLer. Then again, he might never take that step and top out as a great AHLer.
Power play time certainly makes a difference. But Tanev scoring at double the pace of Polasek counts as sticking out for me. Polasek is younger, absolutely, which is another reason for my optimism. But I stand by my assessment (based on not much other than a general sense of correlations with stats), which is that his production will need to step up next season, when comparison's with Tanev's production will be more apt.

lindgren is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 05:32 PM
  #83
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,488
vCash: 500
I think we must consider how both Tanev and Polasek were used this season. Polasek has been used in mainly defensive situations, similar to Sauve. I'd have to say in total, if i had to estimate, Polasek has gotten less than 10 minutes on the PP all year, a smattering in the beginning when they were short D and the last 2 games of the season when they were resting everyone. He has played mainly on the 3rd pairing and has been on the 2nd/3rd PK D units. That's not a lot to work with. Tanev, in his 2nd game, was placed on the top pairing and top PP unit. There's the difference.

Also, this is Polasek's first pro season. If you take a look at Tanev's first pro season, it isn't that far off, if we are looking at it statistically.

I've liked Polasek's game for a while now. I think he has good potential as a two-way D, he's got the size to clear the net, he wins a lot of his board battles, can play a physical game and has an under-rated offensive game. He actually likes to join the rush a lot, can skate well with the puck, and his shot is fairly heavy. I think some of the concerns lie in the inconsistency of his decision making at times. For example, sometimes there are better outlet options but for a long while in the middle of the season, he felt content with ringing it around the boards expecting someone was going to be there. But there wasn't and they would get hemmed in their zone over and over again. Also, there are times where he gives opposing forwards a bit too much room and lapses in coverage in front of the net. Are these rookie mistakes or just not understanding the system or poor decision making? Time will tell.

thefeebster is online now  
Old
04-29-2012, 01:00 AM
  #84
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 40,010
vCash: 500
I think Rampage will go far, Lack is good but wow Markstrom is a beast.

__________________
parabola is offline  
Old
04-29-2012, 02:39 AM
  #85
Canucksrock
Registered User
 
Canucksrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Victoria/Surrey
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I think we must consider how both Tanev and Polasek were used this season. Polasek has been used in mainly defensive situations, similar to Sauve. I'd have to say in total, if i had to estimate, Polasek has gotten less than 10 minutes on the PP all year, a smattering in the beginning when they were short D and the last 2 games of the season when they were resting everyone. He has played mainly on the 3rd pairing and has been on the 2nd/3rd PK D units. That's not a lot to work with. Tanev, in his 2nd game, was placed on the top pairing and top PP unit. There's the difference.

Also, this is Polasek's first pro season. If you take a look at Tanev's first pro season, it isn't that far off, if we are looking at it statistically.

I've liked Polasek's game for a while now. I think he has good potential as a two-way D, he's got the size to clear the net, he wins a lot of his board battles, can play a physical game and has an under-rated offensive game. He actually likes to join the rush a lot, can skate well with the puck, and his shot is fairly heavy. I think some of the concerns lie in the inconsistency of his decision making at times. For example, sometimes there are better outlet options but for a long while in the middle of the season, he felt content with ringing it around the boards expecting someone was going to be there. But there wasn't and they would get hemmed in their zone over and over again. Also, there are times where he gives opposing forwards a bit too much room and lapses in coverage in front of the net. Are these rookie mistakes or just not understanding the system or poor decision making? Time will tell.
from watching your video in the Prospects thread, I am reminded a lot of Kevin Bieksa especially with the way he handles the puck out of the zone (especially using the net and going out in front of his goalie like that). So here is hoping he can meet my lofty expectations of him now .

Also liked that he was willing to go against a good fighter like PLL

Canucksrock is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
  #86
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,840
vCash: 50
#canucks prospect FrankiCorrado a finalist for OHL Defenseman of the Year. In some great company too - Murphy, Hamilton, among others.

canucks prospect Frank Corrado a finalist for OHL Defenseman of the Year. In some great company too - Murphy, Hamilton, among others.

Lucbourdon is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
  #87
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,840
vCash: 50
For some reason it posted itself twice lol

Lucbourdon is offline  
Old
05-01-2012, 02:51 AM
  #88
Ziostilon
Registered User
 
Ziostilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
any idea how Eddie Lack's personality will fit into the Canucks dressing room

he seems like a pretty wild fellow


Ziostilon is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 07:09 AM
  #89
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jämtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,367
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
any idea how Eddie Lack's personality will fit into the Canucks dressing room

he seems like a pretty wild fellow

Trolling encore from the far back.

LiveeviL is offline  
Old
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
  #90
TLinden16
Horse
 
TLinden16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
any idea how Eddie Lack's personality will fit into the Canucks dressing room

he seems like a pretty wild fellow

Just going buck wild there.... Taker down a notch Lack.

TLinden16 is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 07:00 PM
  #91
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,900
vCash: 250
Is that JS on the left there?

vanuck is offline  
Old
05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
  #92
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Is that JS on the left there?
Yup.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
05-19-2012, 03:04 AM
  #93
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,900
vCash: 250
Oh, Ryan Parent...
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/5/17/rya...hat-went-wrong

vanuck is offline  
Old
05-19-2012, 01:53 PM
  #94
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
any idea how Eddie Lack's personality will fit into the Canucks dressing room

he seems like a pretty wild fellow

Have you seen him cook in the ehhhhh kitchen ehh yet?

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...1526842130001/

The Bob Cole is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 06:49 PM
  #95
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,489
vCash: 500
So what does the Chicago Wolves lineup look like for next year at this stage?

???? - Schroeder - ????
Sweatt - ???? - Rodin
Duco - ???? - ????
???? - ???? - ????

Connauton - Sauve
Polasek - ????
???? - ????

Lack
Cannata

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 07:03 PM
  #96
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So what does the Chicago Wolves lineup look like for next year at this stage?

???? - Schroeder - ????
Sweatt - ???? - Rodin
Duco - ???? - ????
???? - ???? - ????

Connauton - Sauve
Polasek - ????
???? - ????

Lack
Cannata
Very good chance Schroeder and Lack won't be there either imo.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 07:12 PM
  #97
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
So what does the Chicago Wolves lineup look like for next year at this stage?

???? - Schroeder - ????
Sweatt - ???? - Rodin
Darren Archibald - Stefan Schneider - Andrew Gordon
Steven Anthony - Alex Friesen - Duco

Connauton - Sauve
Polasek - ????
Peter Andersson - ????

Lack
Cannata
Based on who we have under contract (Friesen being the exception, but I just assume that he will get signed).

Obvious candidates for replacement: Schneider, Anthony, Andersson.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 07:24 PM
  #98
Hielo Grande
Registered User
 
Hielo Grande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: vallarta
Country: Mexico
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Grenier?

Hielo Grande is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 09:12 PM
  #99
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Have you seen him cook in the ehhhhh kitchen ehh yet?

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...1526842130001/


Thanks for this. That's ehhhh hilarious.

KISSland is offline  
Old
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
  #100
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post


Thanks for this. That's ehhhh hilarious.
Probably the funniest video I've seen in a while.

Lack is a pretty funny dude.

roach9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.