HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Club Hockey

Old
04-22-2012, 01:59 AM
blackcell
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Club Hockey

I'm in college and we've got a club ice hockey team. I know I could contact the team about this info, but I just wanted to ask the community too. Do club teams have you buy new equipment (correct colored gloves, helmet, etc) to play? I understand with pants, you can just wear a shell, and everything else would fit the uniform.

Thank you

blackcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:13 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I've looked a whole lot into club hockey (assuming you're talking about acha) and it really all depends on the division. Majority of div.1 teams supply gear for you, while a lot of div.2 teams have you just buy gear that will match. What school is it? I've looked it almost every school and may be able to tell you what they supply.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:14 AM
blackcell
Rookie User

I go to UF, and I think they're Div 3. Thank you for your help

Old
04-22-2012, 02:21 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Ah you got just about one of the only schools I've never bothered to look at. Living in Texas, I've never really looked into going to play somewhere else down south. But from what I know they probably supply shells and gloves. It doesn't say on their website, but looking at team pictures they were wearing gators pants which would have to be supplied, and they were wearing blue and orange gloves which arent really sold retail, so I assume they are supplied as well.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:24 AM
blackcell
Rookie User

Understandable, especially because UF isn't really known for it's hockey haha. I grew up playing roller hockey, so I figured I'd give ice hockey a shot here. Yeah I think you're right about the shells and gloves, and I'd probably have to purchase the royal-colored helmet. Thank you again!

Old
04-22-2012, 02:27 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Have you ever played ice before? Because club teams are usually surprisingly good.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:34 AM
blackcell
Rookie User

No I've never played ice before. I mean I've skated on ice, and I can perform as well on ice as I did in roller, but I've never played competitively on ice before. I didn't mean to make it sound like the team was poor or I was underestimating them; just that they won't be as competitive as, say, BC. I definitely have a lot of work to do, and I don't expect it to be a breeze by any means. This probably seems like a silly question, but under shells do players generally wear their hockey pants, or a girdle?

Old
04-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
No I've never played ice before. I mean I've skated on ice, and I can perform as well on ice as I did in roller, but I've never played competitively on ice before. I didn't mean to make it sound like the team was poor or I was underestimating them; just that they won't be as competitive as, say, BC. I definitely have a lot of work to do, and I don't expect it to be a breeze by any means. This probably seems like a silly question, but under shells do players generally wear their hockey pants, or a girdle?
Shells are usually made to go over a girdle... but they do have "pant-cover" variations of shells that I guess are more made for going over pants. Either can work for both situations, though.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:39 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Depends, really. Some people just wear the shells over pants, but typically people wear shells over a pair of breezers.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:42 AM
blackcell
Rookie User

Thank you. In roller we'd wear long pants over a girdle so I wasn't sure how it's done.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

UCF and FGCU are national powerhouses in D3.

Don't know about UF but I assume they are good. I'd be wary of tryouts. Kids will try to catch you with your head down and send you into next week.

Last edited by Harv: 04-22-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
blackcell
Rookie User

There are no tryouts

Old
04-24-2012, 03:32 PM
ausername1

Quote:
I'm in college and we've got a club ice hockey team. I know I could contact the team about this info, but I just wanted to ask the community too. Do club teams have you buy new equipment (correct colored gloves, helmet, etc) to play? I understand with pants, you can just wear a shell, and everything else would fit the uniform.

Thank you
I play in the sechl too! (UT- but don't look us up, it's embarrassing...) If I recall correctly, you guys did have stuff that I think your team/coach/whatever would have to order themselves because it was all UF colors, even the pants. However, you might be paying for it anyway if you pay club dues like most clubs have to- it could be included in there depending on your fan base. We have virtually no fans so we have to pay for everything ourselves. If you guys have a lot of fans to sell jerseys, tickets, etc. to then you might not have to pay much at all.
I hope you have fun playing club, it's a little 'different' but still loads of fun!

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
ausername1

sorry, meant sechc

Old
04-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
There are no tryouts
No tryouts? How do you make the team, then?

My last year at Colorado, we had over 250 people try out.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
blackcell
Rookie User

ausername1- I'm glad somebody on here is in the league too! I didn't think Tennessee was bad at all. I watched a video of you guys against Alabama. Do you guys order everything through the team, or only certain things like socks/gloves/etc, while the helmets are purchased on your own? I hope you're enjoying it too! Is this your first year on the team?

Taco- alright maybe I misspoke a bit by saying there weren't try outs. The team can only suit 20 kids, so they have to find a way to pick the best. But every body can come out, and it doesn't seem like a serious event. Maybe I'm misjudging

Last edited by blackcell: 04-24-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old
04-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Taco- alright maybe I misspoke a bit by saying there weren't try outs. The team can only suit 20 kids, so they have to find a way to pick the best. But every body can come out, and it doesn't seem like a serious event. Maybe I'm misjudging
Sounds like open tryouts. I'd recommend taking it seriously (if it's anything like the open tryouts at CU).

I don't know how many people will be at the tryouts, but if they compete against schools like Florida Gulf Coast, at least 20 of them are going to be really good.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:47 PM
blackcell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Sounds like open tryouts. I'd recommend taking it seriously (if it's anything like the open tryouts at CU).

I don't know how many people will be at the tryouts, but if they compete against schools like Florida Gulf Coast, at least 20 of them are going to be really good.
Yeah my bar for serious hockey is a little skewed though. When I think of serious college hockey, I think of northeastern/midwestern schools. I'm not saying it's an easy-in, but just relative to top-notch schools. I'm going to be practicing all summer, every day to prepare.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:33 AM
wahsnairb

club hockey at my school (OSU) is crazy good.. i played high school at a decent level and wouldn't be able to make our club team.. the guys get most of their stuff given to them here so they don't have to worry about being matchy matchy.. it is done for them.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:04 AM
ATLhockey437

Play on UGA's (Georgia) club team. Most of the teams in the south are D3. Alot of solid schools from FLA. Gulf Coast won D2 on their home ice which is awesome. Aside from these powerhouses, most teams let you join as long as you know how to sign a check for team dues. Just depends on the coach in terms of playing time/skill level ratio.

However, since it's the south, it's not the best hockey in the world. But if you have played travel before you should be fine. Most of the teams down here consist of 5% studs who could of or played jrs, 75% kids who played travel, 10% kids who prolly started playing in HS, 10% complete benders who rarely play.

Get to as many drop ins/stick&pucks as you can this summer. Even though it is stick time, practice keeping your head up as much as possible. Come next season, there will be a few dbags who only go for big hits on kids they know they can easily crush to get a momentum builder. So don't be an easy target...work on positioning and anticipating the play and that should save you from getting lit up. Trust me, the flow and speed of this level isn't as fast as you'd think.

I got to play at the ACHA D3 select tournament this past March on the SEC conference team. Made friends with the guys from UF, shoot me a pm and I'll try to help you out if your interested....

Last edited by ATLhockey437: 04-25-2012 at 03:13 AM.
ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
shoeshine boy

yeah, glad some players chimed in. you say that you've only played roller hockey. you do realize that college club hockey is full check, right? I've seen a few games between UGA and GaTech get so nasty the cops had to be called. my understanding of club hockey is that technically everyone is on the team that wants to be but unless you're really good you probably won't be suiting up for games.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:11 AM
blackcell
Rookie User

Yeah over the summer, I've already found a rink that does stick and puck for an hour every day. I'll be attending. The roller rink where I live is also available to use 24/7, so I'll be practicing keeping my head up there, though it is a little different compared to ice.

I do know it's a checking league. I've watched plenty of videos of the team, usually against Georgia. In making the switch from roller to ice, I'm buying shoulder pads.

Old
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
ausername1

Quote:
ausername1- I'm glad somebody on here is in the league too! I didn't think Tennessee was bad at all. I watched a video of you guys against Alabama. Do you guys order everything through the team, or only certain things like socks/gloves/etc, while the helmets are purchased on your own? I hope you're enjoying it too! Is this your first year on the team?

We weren't that bad a while ago but this past season wasn't all that great...
we got socks through the team; the pants, helmets, and gloves are all black so we buy them ourselves. If some can afford it they buy custom black and orange gloves and we all buy some UT stickers from the bookstore and slap them on the helmet- like I said, we're pretty poor.
It was my first year playing this season (and playing ice hockey ever!) so I'm definitely the bender the guy from UGA was talking about, lol, but it's still really fun!!
Most people I meet really do love the sport so they don't mind helping out a bender like me, i'm sure the guys on your team will be eager to help you transition from roller to ice!

Old
04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
anyone have any info on purdue club hockey? looking to play next year

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:05 PM
blackcell
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausername1 View Post
We weren't that bad a while ago but this past season wasn't all that great...
we got socks through the team; the pants, helmets, and gloves are all black so we buy them ourselves. If some can afford it they buy custom black and orange gloves and we all buy some UT stickers from the bookstore and slap them on the helmet- like I said, we're pretty poor.
It was my first year playing this season (and playing ice hockey ever!) so I'm definitely the bender the guy from UGA was talking about, lol, but it's still really fun!!
Most people I meet really do love the sport so they don't mind helping out a bender like me, i'm sure the guys on your team will be eager to help you transition from roller to ice!
Was this your first year ever playing hockey in any format? I know you mentioned first for ice, but maybe you played roller. If it was your first year of hockey, I think it's really awesome that you decided to pick it up while you're in college. I know I'm going to need some help from the guys on my team, and I'm really glad to hear your teammates were so helpful. If you and I are willing to make the effort, why wouldn't they help! haha