HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Your least favourite Penguin?

Old
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Ziggyjoe21

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I think people just like to find scape goats. Honestly, no one on the team was that bad this season. Only one who stands out, IMO, is MacEntyre, but he's not even a hockey player. Martin got a lot of flack here, so perhaps him as well, especially considering his salary. Perhaps BJ, he really sucked it up this season.

Everyone else did their job as they should.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
It's funny how people talk about players, Orpik in this case, as if they know what goes on in a locker room. I can say with 99.999% certainty that you have never seen Orpik interact with his teammates in a locker room nor do you know what is said in those situations. You don't know if he is liked in the locker room or not. If he wasn't, chances are he wouldn't be here anymore.

Personally, I have no complaints about him. Sure he had a down year, but I think a better defensive system will bring him back to his glory days of 2009. Every team needs an outspoken leader.

I chose Paul Martin. If you're a team's highest paid Dman and you are a healthy scratch in the playoffs, something is wrong. You belong in a Rangers sweater.
Puuuuurfect post, Sir

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

I hate Pascal Dupuis

Gary Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I think people just like to find scape goats. Honestly, no one on the team was that bad this season. Only one who stands out, IMO, is MacEntyre, but he's not even a hockey player. Martin got a lot of flack here, so perhaps him as well, especially considering his salary. Perhaps BJ, he really sucked it up this season.

Everyone else did their job as they should.
This is laughable. So everybody did their job. So, we were never that good to begin with? That would mean Shero FAILED. How could this team have everyone doing their job when we were picked to win the Cup and lost in Round 1?

Are you a Cubs fan per chance? Complacency this summer would be suicidal, cuz most teams get better in the off-season.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

How does a person hate Duper? He seems awesome in candid, off-ice shows, and he goes above and beyond his calling on the ice.

Oh, I hate Martin or Kennedy. Not personally, but as players. That's pretty funny, because I was ecstatic when Shero got Martin. Man, was I wrong about that one...

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
How does a person hate Duper? He seems awesome in candid, off-ice shows, and he goes above and beyond his calling on the ice.

Oh, I hate Martin or Kennedy. Not personally, but as players. That's pretty funny, because I was ecstatic when Shero got Martin. Man, was I wrong about that one...
I suppose the only silver lining (if you can even call it that) about Martin is that the man that refused to sign with us (and therefore forced Shero's hand with Martin) went out in the first round this year, too.

Polaris Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:47 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
yeah, really not getting the Asham dislike. I hope he gets re-signed.
Hes on my fav Pens list!!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Bob E

Shero's little voice: "You don't like Asham! You should trade him to Winnipeg for a 7th round pick!"

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:38 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Two people said that they disliked Asham, and I was one of them. What he did reminded me too much of what Gillies did to Tangradi.

Gillies threw a head shot at a completely defenseless player who had done absolutely nothing wrong. Then stood over him and mocked him as he was laying on the ice. Asham crosschecked a guy in the chest after the guy took a run at one of our players. Did he go overboard? Yeah. But how in the world are these two situations comparable?

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This is laughable. So everybody did their job. So, we were never that good to begin with? That would mean Shero FAILED. How could this team have everyone doing their job when we were picked to win the Cup and lost in Round 1?

Are you a Cubs fan per chance? Complacency this summer would be suicidal, cuz most teams get better in the off-season.
The Pens were an almost unbeatable powerhouse towards the end of the season. They were clicking on ALL cylinders. Their 11 game win streak was the best run of the season. Not so coincidentally, that winning streak was also ended by the Flyers. That team just had our number all season. I bet had we faced ANY other team in the conference the result would have been different. Flyers exposed a hole in this team that imo no other team has the capabilities to exploit.

Do I think the Pens need to make some changes? Sure. Tighten up that defense and things will get back into place. All the pieces are there, now just time to tweak how pieces execute.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Honour Over Glory

Todd Reirden, Craig Adams, Paul Martin...Ray Shero thinking Steve MacIntyre was actually worth paying, so many things I hate about this team but supposedly, real fans aren't supposed to...which I would say bite my rear to, 25+yrs of following this team, I can hate people on the team if I want, players or management.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
The Pens were an almost unbeatable powerhouse towards the end of the season. They were clicking on ALL cylinders. Their 11 game win streak was the best run of the season. Not so coincidentally, that winning streak was also ended by the Flyers. That team just had our number all season. I bet had we faced ANY other team in the conference the result would have been different. Flyers exposed a hole in this team that imo no other team has the capabilities to exploit.

Do I think the Pens need to make some changes? Sure. Tighten up that defense and things will get back into place. All the pieces are there, now just time to tweak how pieces execute.
The hot streak over shadows the Pens falling a part right after it, basically after that streak, the Pens played like a team that deserved to finish 10th in the East, at best. That carried into the playoffs, regardless of how well the Flyers played, the Pens lost "it" before the playoffs and whatever "it" was that they lost, wasn't found in the playoffs, even for a brief 10-3 game it wasn't found.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:19 AM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
Based on what? He gets as many minutes on the PK as anyone. We're talking about a PK that was ranked 3rd this season despite absolutely horrible years from a few of our dmen. If the numbers alone aren't enough, then just watch. The guy breaks up tons of passes and blocks more shots than any of our other forwards. If you want to criticize Adams' offensive abilities, then fair enough. He's brutal. But as far as our PK is concerned, he and the rest of the forwards are the least of our worries.
His mobility (or lack thereof) for one. I can't count how many times he is out of position because of the cement blocks on his feet. Especially against a team like philly. You'd get the same results if you replace him with another responsible forward that wasn't a "PK monster". The one reason for keeping him on the roster (and keeping a possibly more talented and bigger contributor off the roster) isn't the legend it's made out to be.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:06 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Todd Reirden, Craig Adams, Paul Martin...Ray Shero thinking Steve MacIntyre was actually worth paying, so many things I hate about this team but supposedly, real fans aren't supposed to...which I would say bite my rear to, 25+yrs of following this team, I can hate people on the team if I want, players or management.
Meh, I don't really have a problem with anyone disliking individual players. The people who were questioning whether or not they still wanted to be a fan of this team are a different story though(and there were quite a few after game 3). I'd rather they just find a new team. It's bad enough that our fan base gets the "bandwagon" label as it is. We don't need people that actually make it true.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The hot streak over shadows the Pens falling a part right after it, basically after that streak, the Pens played like a team that deserved to finish 10th in the East, at best. That carried into the playoffs, regardless of how well the Flyers played, the Pens lost "it" before the playoffs and whatever "it" was that they lost, wasn't found in the playoffs, even for a brief 10-3 game it wasn't found.
Yeah, we understand what happened after the streak. The question is, is it necessary to take a team that had played so amazingly well over two seasons in some of the worst injury circumstances imaginable, and blow it up because it ran out of juice heading into this year's playoffs?

I'm with Ziggy here, i think this team needs some tweaks and that's it. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the end of this season, but i'm not gonna let my disappointment take me over to the point that i start advocating solutions that don't make sense. We've got a good coaching staff, we've got a great core, and for the most part, we've got the right role players. We need to make a trade or two, a signing and swap out a couple players to make room for youth, and moving Martin is about the only one of those moves that could even remotely be viewed as drastic.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:

Well, we're ALMOST on the same page Ziggy. I mean, depends on the changes wanted. I think some kind of coaching move could help us at this time. The defense definitely needs an overall. And I'd certainly look at changes in goal.

I agree that only Philly could have exposed us the way they did. BUT, on the other hand, the Flyers aren't going away. We have to deal with them yearly, so this is an issue going forward.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:05 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

richard park.

Just kidding, nobody dislikes Park, though his VORP is certainly debateable.

Martin and Michalek. Orpik is showing signs of wear and tear, but oftentimes when he ends up looking bad, you can rewind the play a little bit and see that he was put in an impossible position due to something a forward did wrong. Martin usually puts his partners in impossible positions and Michalek frequently screws up because he has tunnel vision.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Jag68Sid87

I don't know if Orpik can be defended that way, suggesting most of the time it's not his fault. The eyeball test suggests he's been a bad defensive defenseman for some time.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
But how in the world are these two situations comparable?
First, let me just say that Asham is infinity times the hockey player that Gillies is. But here is how they are comparable:

4th liners hitting a rookie forward up high because they didn't like it when their teammate was hit. Then they hit the rookie in the head while he was on the ice. What Gillies did was much, much worse, but I would still say they're comparable.

I'd like Asham back for next season, because he does bring skill and toughness to the 4th line. However, what he did was idiotic and went against what Lemieux (the guy who signs Asham's paychecks) was so adamantly opposed to happening in hockey. Leave what you learned from the Flyers franchise in Philly, you're playing for the Penguins now.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
First, let me just say that Asham is infinity times the hockey player that Gillies is. But here is how they are comparable:

4th liners hitting a rookie forward up high because they didn't like it when their teammate was hit. Then they hit the rookie in the head while he was on the ice. What Gillies did was much, much worse, but I would still say they're comparable.

I'd like Asham back for next season, because he does bring skill and toughness to the 4th line. However, what he did was idiotic and went against what Lemieux (the guy who signs Asham's paychecks) was so adamantly opposed to happening in hockey. Leave what you learned from the Flyers franchise in Philly, you're playing for the Penguins now.
Asham came after Schenn for something he did 2 seconds prior.

Gillies came after Tangradi for something that another penguin did weeks ago.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Asham came after Schenn for something he did 2 seconds prior.

Gillies came after Tangradi for something that another penguin did weeks ago.
I coulda swore it was cause Tangradi was lighting people up on the forecheck that same game.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, we're ALMOST on the same page Ziggy. I mean, depends on the changes wanted. I think some kind of coaching move could help us at this time. The defense definitely needs an overall. And I'd certainly look at changes in goal.

I agree that only Philly could have exposed us the way they did. BUT, on the other hand, the Flyers aren't going away. We have to deal with them yearly, so this is an issue going forward.
After last year the coaches made drastic changes to the PP with positive results. I'm sure this off season they will focus on the defense.

As far as Fleury, I don't know what's wrong with him but there's no reason to not keep him. He's played lights out this season and has had playoff success. He should be able to bounce back. If not... well Shero can deal with it when the time comes.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
SundanceKid

MAF. He lets in the first or second shot of the game like 50% of all games. I can't believe it. He lacks consistency. I appreciate his performances where he does extraordinary ('09) but sometimes when he lets in 4 goals on 13 shots I'm ready to disown him. I don't really want him traded but I wouldn't be upset over it.

Paul Martin too obviously. Biggest waste of 5 million dollars. We offered JAROMIR ****ING JAGR 2 million while we pay 5mil to Martin, we deserve to lose to philly

SundanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Definitely Paul Martin. I can only pray that Shero gets Fletcher drunk, takes embarrassing photos of him, and calls in a favor to trade him to Minnesota in the offseason.

Tyler Kennedy is a distant 2nd.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote