HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Buy or Sell: Off-season Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
  #1
Giant Yankee Pens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Buy or Sell: Off-season Edition

I hope this thread can maybe help with the long off-season that awaits us... Its simple really, answer the previous Buy/Sell question, and then say one of your own... I'm gonna start with three, just so you guys know just what kind of questions they can be... Anything Free agency goes, Pens or just NHL in general...

1. Buy or Sell: Penguins Trade Paul Martin

2. Buy or Sell: Alexander Semin Signs long term somewhere (if so, where?)

3. Buy or Sell: Crosby and Staal are extended this off-season

Be nice, enjoy, and hopefully this can be some fun for you guys

Giant Yankee Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:39 AM
  #2
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Yankee Pens View Post
I hope this thread can maybe help with the long off-season that awaits us... Its simple really, answer the previous Buy/Sell question, and then say one of your own... I'm gonna start with three, just so you guys know just what kind of questions they can be... Anything Free agency goes, Pens or just NHL in general...

1. Buy or Sell: Penguins Trade Paul Martin

2. Buy or Sell: Alexander Semin Signs long term somewhere (if so, where?)

3. Buy or Sell: Crosby and Staal are extended this off-season

Be nice, enjoy, and hopefully this can be some fun for you guys
1. Buy or Sell: Penguins Trade Paul Martin - Buy

2. Buy or Sell: Alexander Semin Signs long term somewhere (if so, where?) - Buy - Detroit Red Wings

3. Buy or Sell: Crosby and Staal are extended this off-season - Buy - It might have to wait until the new CBA is in place, but I don't think anyone doubts that Sid will sign an extension this off season. As for Staal, it all goes back to his decision and what I said in the Jordan Staal thread, if he doesn't want to be a 3rd line center or a top 6 winger, then you trade him as he would have no role on this team anymore. I don't think he signs an extension with the Pens or any team this off season.

Now my "Buy or Sell"

Buy or Sell: Will Zach Parise leave New Jersey this summer?

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:42 AM
  #3
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
1. Buy or Sell: Penguins Trade Paul Martin - Buy

2. Buy or Sell: Alexander Semin Signs long term somewhere (if so, where?) - Buy - Detroit Red Wings

3. Buy or Sell: Crosby and Staal are extended this off-season - Buy - It might have to wait until the new CBA is in place, but I don't think anyone doubts that Sid will sign an extension this off season. As for Staal, it all goes back to his decision and what I said in the Jordan Staal thread, if he doesn't want to be a 3rd line center or a top 6 winger, then you trade him as he would have no role on this team anymore. I don't think he signs an extension with the Pens or any team this off season.

Now my "Buy or Sell"

Buy or Sell: Will Zach Parise leave New Jersey this summer?
Sell. I don't think NJ gets rid of their captain. I think they understand how important he is.

Buy or Sell: Jaromir Jagr returns to the Flyers.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
  #4
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Buy or Sell: Will Zach Parise leave New Jersey this summer?
Buy: I think he leaves for greener pastures. He might look interesting in a Habs uni.

Buy or Sell: Rick Nash starts year as a Blue Jacket.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
  #5
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Sell. I don't think NJ gets rid of their captain. I think they understand how important he is.

Buy or Sell: Jaromir Jagr returns to the Flyers.
Buy, I think he's settled in a place where they're letting him be Jagr. He's not there to sell tickets.

Buy or Sell: Rick Nash is traded before the season starts.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
  #6
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Sell. I don't think NJ gets rid of their captain. I think they understand how important he is.

Buy or Sell: Jaromir Jagr returns to the Flyers.
Sell: Jagr's play declined towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, I don't think he will take a paycut to go to any team, if nobody offers at least $2.5M or more, I see him either A) retiring, B) going back to KHL, or C) playing in the Czech league (maybe Kladno?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Buy: I think he leaves for greener pastures. He might look interesting in a Habs uni.

Buy or Sell: Rick Nash starts year as a Blue Jacket.
Sell: Howson will trade him this summer, Leafs are going to press for Rick Nash, they have the 5th overall, some good roster players at the wing position and some decent prospects as well. Rangers might also raise their offer this summer.

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
  #7
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Sell: Jagr's play declined towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs, I don't think he will take a paycut to go to any team, if nobody offers at least $2.5M or more, I see him either A) retiring, B) going back to KHL, or C) playing in the Czech league (maybe Kladno?)



Sell: Howson will trade him this summer, Leafs are going to press for Rick Nash, they have the 5th overall, some good roster players at the wing position and some decent prospects as well. Rangers might also raise their offer this summer.
Buy or sell: Burke would rather have Jordan Staal than Rick Nash.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
  #8
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Buy or sell: Burke would rather have Jordan Staal than Rick Nash.
Buy: Younger, and is a huge need for them at Center.

Buy or Sell: Ryan Suter leaves Nashville and signs with Detroit.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
  #9
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Buy or sell: Burke would rather have Jordan Staal than Rick Nash.
Buy

Buy or Sell: Ryan Suter signs a long term deal in Nashville.

Edit - That was weird.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
  #10
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Buy

Buy or Sell: Ryan Suter signs a long term deal in Nashville.

Edit - That was weird.
Sell: Weber is their guy, even though I think Suter is better.

Buy or Sell: Radulov goes back to Russia.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:19 AM
  #11
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Buy: Younger, and is a huge need for them at Center.

Buy or Sell: Ryan Suter leaves Nashville and signs with Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Buy

Buy or Sell: Ryan Suter signs a long term deal in Nashville.

Edit - That was weird.
Sell to both, Suter signs long term deal in Pittsburgh.

Nashville's going to give him an offer and if it's not good enough then they will trade his rights, Shero acquired Hamhuis' rights in 2010, I think he should make a play for Suter.

Darren Dreger said that on twitter, about trading Suter's rights.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger
Why wouldn't Suter go to July 1? He's earned right to consider his options. If deal with Preds isn't best, Nashville will trade his rights
EDIT: I know, we can't afford him lol.

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
  #12
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Buy: Younger, and is a huge need for them at Center.

Buy or Sell: Ryan Suter leaves Nashville and signs with Detroit.
Buy that he leaves, sell that he signs with Detroit.

Based on your answer to my Burke would rather have Staal than Nash question . . .

Buy or sell: A bidding war for Jordan Staal unlike anything seen in years will begin the moment Shero says 'I'm listening' and, when the highest (winning) bid is revealed, this board will crash.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
  #13
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Buy that he leaves, sell that he signs with Detroit.

Based on your answer to my Burke would rather have Staal than Nash question . . .

Buy or sell: A bidding war for Jordan Staal unlike anything seen in years will begin the moment Shero says 'I'm listening' and, when the highest (winning) bid is revealed, this board will crash.
Sell. A bidding war is unrealistic

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
  #14
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullSplitter View Post
Sell. A bidding war is unrealistic
Why?

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
  #15
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Why?
Because he says so.

BUY OR SELL: Staal resigns with the Penguins FOR LESS THAN 6M PER SEASON.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
  #16
SEALBound
Registered User
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Because he says so.

BUY OR SELL: Staal resigns with the Penguins FOR LESS THAN 6M PER SEASON.
As much as I wanna scream BUY! I'm gonna have to say sell. If he signs, it will greater than or equal to 6M.

I pray every day for the Neal Deal.

Buy/Sell: EDM trades the 1st overall pick?

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:35 PM
  #17
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
As much as I wanna scream BUY! I'm gonna have to say sell. If he signs, it will greater than or equal to 6M.

I pray every day for the Neal Deal.

Buy/Sell: EDM trades the 1st overall pick?
Sell: They're going to draft Yakupov.

I think they should trade it for a good NHL player or 2. They already have enough great young talent. They don't need Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins AND Yakupov, they should allow those 3 to be the core young pieces and trade the 1st overall for some better defense or better goaltending, or both.

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
  #18
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
As much as I wanna scream BUY! I'm gonna have to say sell. If he signs, it will greater than or equal to 6M.

I pray every day for the Neal Deal.

Buy/Sell: EDM trades the 1st overall pick?
Tough one...

I'm going to say Sell though. Knowing the Oilers, they're going to keep the pick and most likely draft Yakupov despite needing a huge need a D.

Buy or Sell: Parise signs with Minnesota in the off season.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
  #19
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Tough one...

I'm going to say Sell though. Knowing the Oilers, they're going to keep the pick and most likely draft Yakupov despite needing a huge need a D.

Buy or Sell: Parise signs with Minnesota in the off season.
Sell: I don't think he does. I think he stays in New Jersey, he's the captain and his team is in the ECF.

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:42 PM
  #20
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Sell: I don't think he does. I think he stays in New Jersey, he's the captain and his team is in the ECF.
I don't know though. New Jersey is in a serious financial situation.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  #21
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,827
vCash: 50
Buy or Sell: Sid cracks 100+ points again this upcoming season.

Do they have to be summer/offseason questions?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:26 PM
  #22
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Buy or Sell: Sid cracks 100+ points again this upcoming season.

Do they have to be summer/offseason questions?
BUY

Buy or Sell: Dan Bylsma is the coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins on July 1, 2013.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
  #23
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,253
vCash: 50
Just wanted to see Pittsburgh fans input on this...

To Pittsburgh
Matt Puempel

To Ottawa
2012 1st Round Pick

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
  #24
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
BUY

Buy or Sell: Dan Bylsma is the coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins on July 1, 2013.
Buy. No doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Just wanted to see Pittsburgh fans input on this...

To Pittsburgh
Matt Puempel

To Ottawa
2012 1st Round Pick
I would think about it.

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
  #25
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
As much as I wanna scream BUY! I'm gonna have to say sell. If he signs, it will greater than or equal to 6M.

I pray every day for the Neal Deal.
People overrate Staal's worth on this board.

Why would Staal (who has never scored 30G or 30A, let alone 40G or 40A) get a million more per season... than a guy who just went 40/40 for us? Neal has set the precedent for non-superstar F on this team. IMO Staal will take Neal money or he'll walk. I doubt Shero would offer him $6M even though it's not out of the question.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.