HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

GM Search

Old
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
kahlon66

vCash: 500
GM Search

I was just wondering at the time that Craig Patrick was let go, who else was in consideration for GM of the Penguins. This is no way a bash Shero tread just wanted to know who else was in the running at the time and if they are GM's or assistant GM's in the NHL today, thanks in advance

kahlon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I doubt anyone here knows the answer to that question. The results of GM interviews and the like are rarely aired in public or to the media, unless the GM is actually selected. There probably isn't much info but in any case Shero is a very good GM and as a fan I'd be pissed to see him cut loose. He has made some mistakes but all GMs do. Christ look at some of the things Holmgren and Sather did before they put together this year's teams. People here would've lost their minds if Shero had done some of the same things.

As it happened his worst mistake so far is overpaying Martin and thinking he'd be strong enough to play in our division / system. Less a bad player than a bad fit. If that's his worst mistake, in light of all the good things he's done, I hope he sticks around for a long time.

His other goofs are mostly related to last minute, small potatoes trades / signings, which every GM has to make some of those every year.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:31 PM
kahlon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I doubt anyone here knows the answer to that question. The results of GM interviews and the like are rarely aired in public or to the media, unless the GM is actually selected. There probably isn't much info but in any case Shero is a very good GM and as a fan I'd be pissed to see him cut loose. He has made some mistakes but all GMs do. Christ look at some of the things Holmgren and Sather did before they put together this year's teams. People here would've lost their minds if Shero had done some of the same things.

at that time there must have been some chatter about who they interviewed, I think they interviewed Pierre Mcguire for assistant gm if im not mistaken

Old
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
kahlon66

Quote:

As it happened his worst mistake so far is overpaying Martin and thinking he'd be strong enough to play in our division / system. Less a bad player than a bad fit. If that's his worst mistake, in light of all the good things he's done, I hope he sticks around for a long time.

His other goofs are mostly related to last minute, small potatoes trades / signings, which every GM has to make some of those every year.

Even at that time he tried to sign Dan Hamhuis and tried to sign Volchenkov but maybe felt that Martin was a better deal

Old
05-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlon66 View Post
Even at that time he tried to sign Dan Hamhuis and tried to sign Volchenkov but maybe felt that Martin was a better deal
I think Hamhuis was his first choice. Would've been better than Martin but not the kind of player to solve the problems we had this playoff. Volchy would've been great but the guy is beat to hell so you can't rely on 82 games from him anymore. But yah, Martin and Michalek are "option B" versions of Hamhuis and Volchenkov, respectively.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I remember they and Boston interviewed both Shero and Chiarelli (current Bruins GM). IIRC, Shero originally wanted to be Bruins' GM, however, the Pens offered him more power within the organization so he chose the Pens instead.

Looks like it worked out for both teams thus far.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I remember they and Boston interviewed both Shero and Chiarelli (current Bruins GM). IIRC, Shero originally wanted to be Bruins' GM, however, the Pens offered him more power within the organization so he chose the Pens instead.

Looks like it worked out for both teams thus far.
Interesting. Did you get that from TSN or something? Certainly not the American sports media.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

They definitely interviewed Chiarelli, as well as one other I can't recall. I want to say it was someone that was also hired that year but not sure. It was in the PG I recall seeing pics of them.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I sit corrected. Sorry OP. Apparently there was more transparency in the process than I remember.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Jacob

Shero and Chiarelli were considered the best GM "prospects" so to speak at the time. I think it was always going to be one of the two.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:43 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Shero and Chiarelli were considered the best GM "prospects" so to speak at the time. I think it was always going to be one of the two.
It appears we couldn't have gone wrong with either choice really.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:51 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Penguins Bid GM Patrick Adieu

After firing CP:

"Candidates for the job could include four assistant general managers -- Peter Chiarelli (Ottawa), Jim Nill (Detroit), Steve Tambellini (Vancouver) and Ray Shero (Nashville) -- scouts Dean Lombardi (Philadelphia) and John Weisbrod (Dallas) and former NHL player Brent Sutter, coach and general manager of the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League.

Dave Taylor and Pat Quinn, who have experience as NHL general managers but became unemployed this week, could turn up in the mix, too."

Shero Atop Penguins' GM Wish List

Where Shero almost signs with Boston, but talks break off

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Jacob

Wonder why Jim Nill still can't find a GM gig somewhere around the league. Must be that molester mustache.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:55 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
at that time there must have been some chatter about who they interviewed, I think they interviewed Pierre Mcguire for assistant gm if im not mistaken
LOL no. We aren't the Habs so we don't need to take second rate GM's because they speak a different language. He was interviewed for anything as far as I know.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
kahlon66

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info

Old
05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
kahlon66

Quote:
I sit corrected. Sorry OP. Apparently there was more transparency in the process than I remember.

not a problem Chancellor Vitale, you always try to help, thanks bud

Old
05-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Interesting. Did you get that from TSN or something? Certainly not the American sports media.
I remember reading it on here

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Burgs

Chiarelli was the other guy that immediately came to mind. One of Boston's top choices rejected them because the Bruins bosses (it was either Sinden or Jacobs) wanted daily morning updates on every little thing, but I don't remember whether that was Shero.

Nill has been mentioned in every GM search for about 10 years but I don't think he's leaving the Wings. They likely pay him as much as he could make as a full GM somewhere else, and he's won four Cups there.

I remember there was also former Rangers GM Neil Smith, an unspecified advisor to Patrick at the time, who name-dropped himself in the Pittsburgh media. However the Pens conducted a thorough interviewing process for a change, and went with Shero. Smith instead signed with the Isles - and was replaced with Snow only six weeks later when he refused to become Wang's GM puppet.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:22 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
LOL no. We aren't the Habs so we don't need to take second rate GM's because they speak a different language. He was interviewed for anything as far as I know.
yeah, and that wasn't the age of twitter and social media.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:48 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
He was interviewed for something, I want to say a coaching position. I think it was more because he's Shero's buddy than he actually had a chance.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Wonder why Jim Nill still can't find a GM gig somewhere around the league. Must be that molester mustache.
He was asked by the Habs but he is saying there is an illness in his family and he doesn't want to move until. I believe it's his wife. + he will most probably take over in Detroit one day

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:55 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Penguins Bid GM Patrick Adieu

After firing CP:

"Candidates for the job could include four assistant general managers -- Peter Chiarelli (Ottawa), Jim Nill (Detroit), Steve Tambellini (Vancouver) and Ray Shero (Nashville) -- scouts Dean Lombardi (Philadelphia) and John Weisbrod (Dallas) and former NHL player Brent Sutter, coach and general manager of the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League.

Dave Taylor and Pat Quinn, who have experience as NHL general managers but became unemployed this week, could turn up in the mix, too."

Shero Atop Penguins' GM Wish List

Where Shero almost signs with Boston, but talks break off
Great find, I just couldn't place Jim Nill's name. I actually thought that's who'd they go with FWTW.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:00 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

You guys are forgetting Pierre McGuire.

He's a "serious candidate" for every single solitary GM position that has opened up for the last ten years or so.

EDIT:

Quote:
HA! My mistake.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Great find, I just couldn't place Jim Nill's name. I actually thought that's who'd they go with FWTW.
Gotta give credit to ZiggyJoe. Just putting in Patrick & Shero probably would've brought up gobs of basic Penguins history pages, but with Chiarelli I found those two links on the first two pages.

And it seems like people were kinda upset that Nill didn't get the job back then. But I think Nill had/has been in Detroit so long, he's content with where he is at.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
KIRK

I seem to recall Chuck Fletcher being among the top 3-4 candidates. I read somewhere a reference to Shero not having a huge ego and then a comment about how he hired Fletcher as assistant GM, who also was a serious candidate for the job.

As for Pierre McGuire, if memory serves, he was Shero's first choice for assistant GM (he and Pierre are big buddies), but McGuire wasn't interested. McGuire has been looking for that GM job. Shero tried to sell him on being an assistant as a stepping stone, Pierre said 'no thanks', and Shero then hired Fletcher.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote