HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Tyler Profilet ‏ @tylerprofilet
Got a tip email that Jackson High School grad Grant Ressel has signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers #NFLDraft #Mizzou
Quote:
Steelers Depot ‏ @Steelersdepot Close
#Steelers sign UDFA K Grant Ressel (Missouri)
FA's.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Reportedly a few more UDFA for the Steelers.

DT Ikponmwosa (Ike) Igbinosun - Southern Connecticut State
LB Brandon Lindsey Pitt
Punter Drew Butler Georgia
QB Connor Dixon Duquesne

Old
04-28-2012, 07:45 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Atta boy Pedro.

Another double for Alvarez. 4-1 Buc's in the 5th.

Old
04-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Yeesh, Alvarez can look so bad swinging at a curveball no where near the plate, but can also turn on a decent fastball in. If only he had a good, consistent approach.

Old
04-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Keep it up Pedro

Old
04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

******* Michael Bourn is a fast mother****er

Old
04-28-2012, 07:56 PM
JTG

11/100 players in the Top 100 voted on by players are undrafted. Pretty good

Old
04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

The trade up for Ta'amu justified the Spence pick in my opinion. Spence is not going to be a very effective player if he's always running headfirst into guards because Steve McLendon is in there getting turned aside by the center. A big space eater like Ta'amu allows Spence to get upfield and do his thing. I like Spence's speed, I like his instincts, and I like the fact that he plays a lot of his game in the other guy's backfield. Guys who make a lot of tackles and not a lot of impact plays in college tend to be very subpar pros. I call those guys "compilers" and I hate them. I hate the NFL versions of them as well.

I don't like the Rainey pick. I hate scatbacks and fumblers, although it's somewhat redundant to use both terms. If you're stopping your forward momentum or turning your back on an NFL defense, you're going to get hit hard and you're going to fumble. If Kirby Wilson can teach him to make one cut and get upfield with that speed, though, then he could be something.

Terrence Frederick is strictly slot material in the NFL. He's not tall enough or fast enough to defend the sideline from deep threats. He has pretty good instincts though.

Did Southern Methodist lead division 1 in rushing or something? 'cause both their guards got drafted. Washington took the other one in the 3rd round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Skins cut Beck. I'd much rather have him v. Batch or Leftwich.
My brother's a Redskins fan, so they're the only other NFL team I'll actually watch. You do not want John Beck, I promise you. He refuses to throw the ball more than five yards down the field and he takes forever to make decisions. It's effectively like having a guy with Batch's arm and Leftwich's release. Do not want.

Quote:
Arizona just got a guy who was seen as a potential 1st round talent over the course of the last 24 months in Nate Potter.
He's a project/developmental type. LT only, if he can hack it there. He doesn't have the strength or the body to play RT or inside at guard. Good arm length.

Quote:
Valley is a rival of my high school. I saw a TON of Toney Clemons. 4 star coming out of Valley, and went to Michigan. When Rich Rod got hired, and went to the spread, Clemons transferred to Colorado.
So....what's he like as a player then?

Quote:
Tight end, eh?
He's had several big plays on those little flat passes that Johnson has had trouble hanging onto. Of course, he's not the punishing blocking fullback that Johnson is, either. He has sticky hands and a big catch area. He knows where the open spot is against a zone defense. I think he looks faster on tape than everyone else seems to think he is. He can get down the seam on play action. He's my favorite out of the 7th-rounders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
Big, tell me about Caleb McSurdy...
Slow two-down linebacker. Basically the 35 y.o. Ray Lewis of I-AA football. Was bigger and stronger than his competition in the Big Sky, so I'm not sure how he'll transition to the NFL. He's smart, tough and a hard worker, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
So... anyone undrafted that would be worth an invite?
Elvis Akpla WR Montana State. 6'1", gets down the sideline, makes tough catches. Ran a bad 40 at his pro day (although keep in mind that anyone who looks at 40 times for anything longer than a glance is an idiot) but he can beat you deep.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Sivek

Vontaze Burfict to Bengals.

File that one under seen it coming a mile away.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Bedard beasting. Huge K of Uggla.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:11 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Bedard worked in that inning, but he came away unscathed. Well except for pitch count. Cool as a cucumber. 9k's.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
So....what's he like as a player then?
Not too sure now. I haven't seen him play for years. In high school, he was a dynamic player. He's 6'2 and a thick 210 lbs. Ran a 4.37 at his pro day (which is about 0.2 ticks faster than he ran going into college). Played basketball and ran track. Dude was able to dunk a basketball when he was 14 or 15 years old. 38-40 inch vertical. I don't think he did too terribly well in school though, which was a wonder how he got into Michigan.

I think he could potentially be a steal. He comes from awesome bloodlines (Steve Breaston is his cousin...Swin Cash is also his cousin). He's probably one of the highest touted football players to come out of the Alle-Kiski Valley ever.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Vontaze Burfict to Bengals.

File that one under seen it coming a mile away.
Yeah, seriously.

I've always been curious about what Cinci tells troubled guys that lures them all there.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

I am full of disappoint.

Unless I missed it, there was no mention of the best part of the Rainey pick.
He is the younger brother of Rod Smart, more commonly known as...

I've got a custom Steelers Yinz Hate Me on order already

Old
04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I'm biased towards him obviously, but the reality is, Clemons is fast, can catch, and a good frame at about 6'2" 210lbs.

Only so low due to transferring. He was one of the best WR recruits out of western pa in a long long time heading to college.

Boldin comparison isn't far off.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Tabata

Old
04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Tabata
That was awful.

(Not a fan of Resop)

Old
04-28-2012, 08:40 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
I'm biased towards him obviously, but the reality is, Clemons is fast, can catch, and a good frame at about 6'2" 210lbs.

Only so low due to transferring. He was one of the best WR recruits out of western pa in a long long time heading to college.

Yeah, you have to know his situation to know why he is where he is. Michigan getting rid of Lloyd Carr just completely screwed the kid up. He would have fit into Michigan perfectly. He was on track to be a starter, but in his Junior season, I believe, that's when Rich Rod came in. Clemons is not a spread wideout. Not at all. So he had to transfer and sit a year, if I remember correctly. He sat a year, and finished his last 2 seasons at Colorado where he put up good numbers.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, you have to know his situation to know why he is where he is. Michigan getting rid of Lloyd Carr just completely screwed the kid up. He would have fit into Michigan perfectly. He was on track to be a starter, but in his Junior season, I believe, that's when Rich Rod came in. Clemons is not a spread wideout. Not at all. So he had to transfer and sit a year, if I remember correctly. He sat a year, and finished his last 2 seasons at Colorado where he put up good numbers.
some interesting stuff from old Michigan Blogs:

Quote:
What ever happened to Toney Clemons? He had the best reciever camp according to ESPN and was in their minds the best reciever. He has the hands, height, speed, athletic albilty to complete package. Then comes Odoms. Where did he come from? A 6’3" 203 lb pro football physique athlete sitting behind a 5’9" 165 lb freshmen. What’s wrong with this picture?
Quote:
Slighted Wolverines
Not only Carlos but Toney Clemons, Zion Babb, Martell Webb, Junior Hemmingway just to name a few sitting behind sub par freshmen that need to consider transferring if they want to play college ball yet alone in the NFL.
3. here's what he had to say when asked about the Rodriguez scandal:
Quote:
"On Sunday, it was lifting, film, dinner and practice," Clemons told Schad. "I usually got out around 10:20. I truly don't want to be associated with the program back there. But I am going to help benefit my teammates back there by speaking and giving testimony."
Quote:
Michigan is not unlike any other school. There are transfers. As it happens, quite a few this past year. But there are those who say the right things (Threet, Clemons, O'Neill, McGuffie) and those that don't (Wermers). When the first set of players departed, they stated the obvious, "I love the school. This is a business decision for me. I want a shot at the NFL. I'm not going to excel in this offense," or they said nothing at all. These players seemed to get "it."
its a shame that transferring hurt his stock because you can't really blame him for wanting to jump a sinking ship. glad we have him now.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Watching that replay of Sid Bream sliding across the plate reminds me of an interview with Van Slyke.

Andy said that right before that hit, he yelled over to Bonds to move in, that he was playing too deep. Van Slyke said that Bonds responded by flipping him off.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Watching that replay of Sid Bream sliding across the plate reminds me of an interview with Van Slyke.

Andy said that right before that hit, he yelled over to Bonds to move in, that he was playing too deep. Van Slyke said that Bonds responded by flipping him off.
Good ol' Barry. Always so pleasant.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post

Sounds about right.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:53 PM
DJ Spinoza

Pirates have had some breaks go their way tonight--neither Cruz nor Resop were particularly good, but we still have a 2 run lead. Hopefully it holds up.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Yeah, Walker positioned perfectly for that screamer hit up the middle. Worked out great, we get the DP.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Not too sure now. I haven't seen him play for years. In high school, he was a dynamic player. He's 6'2 and a thick 210 lbs. Ran a 4.37 at his pro day (which is about 0.2 ticks faster than he ran going into college). Played basketball and ran track. Dude was able to dunk a basketball when he was 14 or 15 years old. 38-40 inch vertical. I don't think he did too terribly well in school though, which was a wonder how he got into Michigan.

I think he could potentially be a steal. He comes from awesome bloodlines (Steve Breaston is his cousin...Swin Cash is also his cousin). He's probably one of the highest touted football players to come out of the Alle-Kiski Valley ever.
Quote:

Tall, fast guy with some strength who plays a vertical game? Sounds like my ideal outside receiver. Given that he's a 7th rounder, of course, we're only talking about an outside shot's potential at being my ideal outside receiver, but it sounds like you can do a lot worse with a 7th round pick than take a guy like this.

Closed Thread