HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 09:46 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
So now after this draft, it appears that safety, corner, and linebacker are this team's biggest needs.

Old
04-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Fogel
Analytics please

Better than expected and above average draft on paper, hopefully it shows up on the field as well.

Pirates doing decently well. I still expect some regression form the pitching, but also some from the hitting as well so it might cancel out. I'm hoping Alvarez is done bottoming out, crossing fingers. He has reached base 5 out of the last 6. In the past 4 , he has reached base in all of them and all his hits have been for extra bases. On the season, he is still below average, but there are some hopeful signs that he still has some upside left, <.200 BABIP very high ISO and doesn't look completely outmatched by fastballs at the moment.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
So now after this draft, it appears that safety, corner, and linebacker are this team's biggest needs.
Safety is a concern, but not CB I think.

I feel really good about Brown and Allen.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:17 AM
SteelFish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Safety is a concern, but not CB I think.

I feel really good about Brown and Allen.
me too. dont forget Keenan Lewis also.

im definitely concerned about ILB then Safety

Old
04-29-2012, 10:20 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
I agree. It's likely we will draft a bottom portion of round next year. It's tough to find a good corner. Usually, we see many good corners drafted in Top 15 picks. Safety is bigger need than cornerback. Clark probably will be gone after this season. Troy is getting old.

Last edited by sniugneP: 04-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old
04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
me too. dont forget Keenan Lewis also.

im definitely concerned about ILB then Safety
I'm lukewarm on Lewis.. He is a decent corner, but not as athletic as Brown and Allen.

I have a feeling those two, if healthy, will make a lot of noise and open some eyes this year.

Allen has all the ability in the world... He just started playing his jr year of HS. I am positive if he played at a big program and not the Citadel, he would of been much more highly sought after.

Brown I watched even more last season and his burst and footwork impressed me.

I won't be shocked if they are both starting in a couple of years.

I had this feeling about AB going into last season and said he was a better player than Wallace. Steeler fans on the Scouts board ragged on me for saying it... But I got the last laugh.

Old
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
1. David DeCastro – Easily best guard in the draft. Top 15 talent. Great value pick at 24th. Will be a starter from Day 1. Pouncey and DeCastro will be best interior tandem in NFL in many years to come.

2. Mike Adams – First round talent. Another great value pick in second round. A risky pick due to his history of drugs and questionable work ethics. If he can turn it around, we finally got a quality tackle.

3. Sean Spence – A surprise pick in third round. Initially, I was disappointed with this pick but more I learned about him, more I like him. A tackling machine, especially numerous times of yard for losses. Great instincts and intangibles. Size is a concern, he may have trouble to shed blocks. Will likely start of his NFL career as special teamer and work his way up as linebacker.

4. Alameda Ta’amu – One of best nose tackles in the draft. Was projected to be second rounder. Another graet value pick in 4th round. Move well for his size and very athletic. He may share playing time this season with aging Hampton.

5. Chris Rainey – A speedster from Florida. He can do many positions like RB, slot receiver, returner, special teamer. He’s a playmaker. Will compete with Baron Batch for third down back position. I compare him to Darren Sproles.

6. Toney Clemons – A receiver from Colorado. Good speed and size. Will compete for 5th receiver. He will also have to play well in special teams. With uncertain status of Mike Wallace, this is a good pick.

7. David Paulson – A tight end from Oregon. His stats weren’t great but despite Oregon’s explosive offense, they don’t pass to TE very much. Will have trouble to make this team with Miller, Pope and Saunders. Practice squad candidate.

8. Terrance Frederick – A cornerback from Texas A&M. Decent speed but lack of cover skills. Best suited for nickel back. Will have to excel as special teamer to make on team.

9. Kelvin Beachum – A tackle from SMU. Will play as guard due to lack of his size. They said he has high football IQ. He is a developmental pick.

Colbert did an outstanding job to fill our needs. This draft class has potentially Colbert’s best ever. Overall, I give it a solid A.

Thoughts?
Great write up Right now this draft looks incredible for us, now we have to hope that at least 3 or 4 of these guys actually pan out!

I think we all see DeCastro as a solid lineman for a decade at the very least. He has the lowest bust potential of just about any player in this draft.

I hated the idea of Adams being our first round pick and wasn't excited when we chose him in the 2nd to be honest. And not just because of his off the field problems, he had problems with speed rushers in college and I'm afraid he'll get burned by them in the NFL. He might be better off at Right Tackle where that won't be as much of an issue.

Was shocked by the Spence guy (I totally ignored him in my draft magazines) but like you I've warmed up to the pick after reading about him and watching videos. I love that he is so quick at diagnosing plays and how he uses that to make 'splash' plays in the backfield.

Suprised that Alameda dropped to the 4th round and I'm very curious as to why he did. At the very least he's a big strong guy that can eat up space as a backup and with some hard work maybe he will be Big Snack's heir at NT.

I'm really excited to see Chris Rainey on the field. He's a big play waiting to happen. He said that he wants to play at least some of his plays at RB and watching his highlights I agree with that. He's can juke, cut, and spin at full speed and makes the first guy miss a lot. With an improved offensive line hopefully he can get up to speed by time the first defender gets near him and I like his chances in those situations.

I know that Clemons and Paulson made trips to Pittsburgh and that the team was high on them for a while, so like the rest of the draft the guys they wanted just seemed to fall to them all weekend. Hopefully that bodes well for them in this league!

Old
04-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I agree. It's likely we will draft a bottom portion of round next year. It's tough to find a good corner. Usually, we see many good corners drafted in Top 15 picks. Safety is bigger need than cornerback. Clark probably will be gone after this season. Troy is getting old.
I still have this sneaking suspicion that Sean Spence ends up at safety. He reminds me a lot of Polamalu.

As for the draft, I can use someone elses words to talk about what we all have been talking about:

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock heaped lavish praise on the Steelers draft class. Not just one or two players, mind you, the entire class. It's hard to argue with it. In his words:

"I liked every player the Steelers drafted," Mayock said. "They got two players that were first-round picks with David DeCastro and (second-rounder) Mike Adams for their biggest position of need, offensive line. I love Sean Spence. (Alameda) Ta'amu is a big need at nose tackle. And Chris Rainey ... I mean, LaMicahel James, Isaiah Pead ... Chris Rainey is in that conversation."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...u-chris-rainey

And here is a video of the panel ranking the entire AFC North:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...ades-AFC-North

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 04-29-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old
04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
SteelFish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I hated the idea of Adams being our first round pick and wasn't excited when we chose him in the 2nd to be honest. And not just because of his off the field problems, he had problems with speed rushers in college and I'm afraid he'll get burned by them in the NFL. He might be better off at Right Tackle where that won't be as much of an issue.
I think a good comparable to Adams is Max Starks. I hope he is able to start next year (on either side) so that we can move Colon inside

I really think Colon could be a very good guard. Foster did not play well last year. I like Legursky as a backup not a full time starter, he is too small

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Adams

I hope they work out the line early so they get a lot of practice together. Although i think DeCastro will miss mini-camp because he has to graduate

Old
04-29-2012, 10:56 AM
JTG

Peter King called DeCastro "Steven Hutchinson II"

Old
04-29-2012, 11:01 AM
JTG

Quote:
I always bring up the Troy situation. We picked Troy 16th overall (KC had the pick), and we moved up from 27.

To get Troy, we gave up our 1st (27th), 3rd (92nd), and 6th (200th). Those players turned into Larry Johnson, Brooks Bollinger, and Julian Battle. Would you rather have those 3 guys or Troy Polamalu?

If you are a team like the Steelers now, and you have defined (and very few) needs, you move up to fill those spots with guys you believe in.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
AgentM

Quote:
I think a good comparable to Adams is Max Starks. I hope he is able to start next year (on either side) so that we can move Colon inside

I really think Colon could be a very good guard. Foster did not play well last year. I like Legursky as a backup not a full time starter, he is too small

I hope they work out the line early so they get a lot of practice together. Although i think DeCastro will miss mini-camp because he has to graduate
I would be more than happy if Adams becomes Starks 2.0. And you're starting 5 would be the best offensive line we've had since we beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl!

Old
04-29-2012, 11:24 AM
justsayin*

Steelers signed Brandon Lindsey.

Saw him projected to be a high draft pick last season.

What happened there?

Old
04-29-2012, 11:36 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I still have this sneaking suspicion that Sean Spence ends up at safety. He reminds me a lot of Polamalu.
Well, they probably will try him at linebacker first. We'll see how it goes.

Quote:
I always bring up the Troy situation. We picked Troy 16th overall (KC had the pick), and we moved up from 27.

To get Troy, we gave up our 1st (27th), 3rd (92nd), and 6th (200th). Those players turned into Larry Johnson, Brooks Bollinger, and Julian Battle. Would you rather have those 3 guys or Troy Polamalu?

If you are a team like the Steelers now, and you have defined (and very few) needs, you move up to fill those spots with guys you believe in.
That was a great trade. I'll do it in a second if there is a chance to trade up to get a very good corner. The tough part is find a trading partner.

I would look it up who would be top corners and safeties for next year's draft but it would be a waste of time. A lot of things change during the season like injuries, stock dropping or rising, players leaving college early, etc.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisgood View Post
Steelers signed Brandon Lindsey.

Saw him projected to be a high draft pick last season.

What happened there?
Probably because of lack of speed, I think. It would be tough for him to make on this team. Our LB unit is deep. He would need to do well in special teams.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
JTG

Quote:

I don't think Adams compares to Max Starks at all, aside from height.

I also disagree about Legursky. I think he could be a very good RG. He isn't huge or overly athletic, but he's a grimy player who will never give up, and will knock the **** out of someone if he gets the chance.

I think Legursky, specifically last season, looked poor because he isn't a guy who can anchor a line. He needs to play with good players. He is now surrounded with the right cast.

My opinion is that the line should be Gilbert/Adams - Legursky - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams/Gilbert/Colon

I think they will keep DeCastro on the right side. Kugler's presser, he sort of said the same thing, and his main motivation would be that right pulling guards are rare. Most pulling guards play the left side. If you can get a guy who can pull to the weak side...you have a rare commodity, and not to mention, DeCastro leading the way on the strong side makes us that much better.

I'm not sold that Gilbert starts. We'll see though.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:15 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
List of UDFA for the Steelers thus far from the website:

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. College
Drew Butler P 6-1 204 Georgia
Terry Carter CB 5-10 184 La. Tech
Connor Dixon WR 6-5 222 Duquesne
Robert Golden S 5-11 202 Arizona
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun DE 6-4 288 Southern Connecticut State
Ryan Lee C/G 6-3 308 Furman
Brandon Lindsey LB 6-2 254 Pitt
Marquis Maze WR 5-8 186 Alabama
Grant Ressel K 6-1 190 Missouri
Adrian Robinson LB 6-1 250 Temple
Desmond Stapleton OT 6-5 301 Rutgers
Jake Stoller DE 6-3 284 Yale
Seems Butler is a solid punter.

Rated #2 punter in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...71/drew-butler

Old
04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Peter King called DeCastro "Steven Hutchinson II"
Matt Williamson said something similar, said there hasn't been as talented a guy come through a draft at the guard position since Hutchinson. Also said his consistency ranking in 2011 was the highest in the history of the stat.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
JTG

No real notable players yet as far as UDFA's go for the Steelers.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:04 PM
sniugneP

I like having Legursky at LG. He's smart and tough. He's very valuable for us, can do all 3 interior positions. I just hope he can handle as full time starter. I do like his mentality, though.

I think Gilbert will do better in his second year. If he have a solid year for us, that's huge for us.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:04 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Draft John Simon to take over for James Harrison. He can play OLB, DE, and DT as well.

Stats:

-6'2, 270lbs.
-From Youngstown, Ohio.

2011 Stats (Junior):

-55 total tackles, 7 sacks

2010 Stats (Sophomore):

-41 total tackles, 3 sacks

2009 Stats (Freshman):

-17 tackles, 1 sack (Barely played until the end of the season)

Couple tidbits about him:

Quote:
At 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, Simon is somewhat of a tweener: small for a defensive tackle and a bit short for a defensive end. His physical measurables might not be ideal, but in almost every other category, he's off the charts. Many talk about his motor, a term often applied to former Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan, who as a senior went from first-team All-Big Ten to unanimous All-American and NFL first-round draft pick.

"You can't teach a motor, you can't teach intensity," Buckeyes defensive coordinator Luke Fickell said. "You'll have a hard time teaching some of those unique things. He has every single one of those. But John, I think he still has a lot of ability to get better fundamentally and technique-wise. That's what’s so exciting about John. He's only scratched the surface of how good he can get with the tools he has."

Fickell lauded Simon's versatility, saying the senior could play middle linebacker if the team needed him there. While playing multiple positions should help Simon in the NFL evaluation process, Fickell hopes "we can settle him in a little bit more" at defensive end.
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/john-simon

He's a freak in the weight room as well. (Article was written last year).

Quote:
The 6’2, 270 pound Simon left high school with a 450 pound max bench and a max squat of 700 pounds. Even at the young age of 16, Simon could bench 31 reps of 225 pounds! Keep in mind that it’s been a few years since Simon posted those insane feats of strength. You can only imagine how strong the man is now (however, we may never know). It would not be surprising if Simon can max out well over a 600 pound bench and an 800 pound squat. Simon is known to of done 48 reps for the 225 pound bench press, one rep shy of Stephen Paea's all-time NFL Combine record. As a result, there will sure be a lot of hype for him heading into the NFL Combine.
Quote:
Simon’s work ethic and motor are legendary. The pace he sets in the weight room is astounding to many teammates and coaches and what takes players two hours to do, he will do in 30 minutes. At times, Simon would rather hit the next machine than get some much needed rest between sets. Many fitness enthusiasts and researchers alike would agree that resting 60-90 seconds is thought to be the ideal rest time between sets. Once in a while, it is good to give yourself even less rest to boost your conditioning and stimulate your muscles a different way. Every person has a different body type and structure so what might work for Simon might not work for you. The fact that he needs so little rest in his workouts shows that 60-90 seconds may be too much time for some people (assuming Simon rests less than that). However, 60-90 seconds is the standard and we would recommend that.
http://www.muscleprodigy.com/john-si...arcl-1814.html

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
04-29-2012, 01:11 PM
sniugneP

John Simon is very interesting prospect, that's for sure. Who knows where he would be rated in next year's draft? He might be top 15-20 pick, but it's too early to tell.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
I don't think Adams compares to Max Starks at all, aside from height.

I also disagree about Legursky. I think he could be a very good RG. He isn't huge or overly athletic, but he's a grimy player who will never give up, and will knock the **** out of someone if he gets the chance.

I think Legursky, specifically last season, looked poor because he isn't a guy who can anchor a line. He needs to play with good players. He is now surrounded with the right cast.

My opinion is that the line should be Gilbert/Adams - Legursky - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams/Gilbert/Colon

I think they will keep DeCastro on the right side. Kugler's presser, he sort of said the same thing, and his main motivation would be that right pulling guards are rare. Most pulling guards play the left side. If you can get a guy who can pull to the weak side...you have a rare commodity, and not to mention, DeCastro leading the way on the strong side makes us that much better.

I'm not sold that Gilbert starts. We'll see though.
They're rare because they're unnecessary. Unless you have a TE over there on the left, you don't have enough blockers to hold the edge til the guard gets there anyway. Besides, Colon leading the way at RG would be even better, because he's bigger, stronger and meaner. He can pull a little too, well enough to play LG, thought not as well as DeCastro. DeCastro at RG is a waste of his pulling talent and magnifies his only two real weaknesses -- a lack of bulk an thickness and occasional trouble moving big DTs.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:16 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
They're rare because they're unnecessary. Unless you have a TE over there on the left, you don't have enough blockers to hold the edge til the guard gets there anyway. Besides, Colon leading the way at RG would be even better, because he's bigger, stronger and meaner. He can pull a little too, well enough to play LG, thought not as well as DeCastro. DeCastro at RG is a waste of his pulling talent and magnifies his only two real weaknesses -- a lack of bulk an thickness and occasional trouble moving big DTs.
Who said it's unnecessary? And even if it is, it's probably only deemed unnecessary because no one can do it.

Colon is bigger. Wouldn't go with stronger or meaner...he's also slower and way more unathletic and agile. If you want to break a runner on the strong side, DeCastro could run down the field with the guy. He's that athletic.

I will never ever see eye to eye with you on offensive line matters though. You're very black and white, and you like your things a certain way.

DeCastro played the right side in college, and his team effectively ran behind him when he was an inline blocker, and when he pulled left.

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting that DeCastro lacks bulk and has trouble moving guys. That excerpt above states that he handed Ta'amu his ass when they played eachother, and Ta'amu is 345 ****ing pounds, and benched press 225 35 times. Not like he's a muffin.

Last edited by JTG: 04-29-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old
04-29-2012, 03:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Steelers are liking their Ohio State boys.

Closed Thread