HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
AgentM

vCash: 500
Holy crap Anger in the third round!

Old
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Holy crap Anger in the third round!
He better be a good player, 3rd round punter? That's unheard of.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
No seriously... What did he do? I have no idea...
Link - Adams scandal

Old
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I prefer Thompson and Ta'amu over Chapman. Chapman could miss a whole training camp, it would be a waste year for him. We don't even have a quality backup for nose tackle since Hoke retired.
Ta'amu is at least two rounds above Chapman in my eyes. We're now in the part of the draft where Ta'amu should go based on talent instead of position...but Chapman's injury is a potential career bender...it won't end it, but it could prevent it from ever getting going properly.

And wtf Jacksonville...you don't take a punter 70th overall

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
04-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
No seriously... What did he do? I have no idea...
He traded memorabilia for tattoos. Also he smoked weed, like most NFL players do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Value is value, regardless of position. Mendenhall could be done so RB is as much a position of need as NT to be honest.
You could hardly have made a more untrue statement. Some positions just aren't as important in the NFL game. RB, out of all the positions that are on the field in a regular NFL offense or defense, tops the list of those that are not as important. The RB will get whatever his line gives him, regardless of what his name is or where he was taken in the draft. Some will get you less because they run too high to fall forward or they're indecisive. Some fumble. There are plenty of guys who go way down in the draft who don't have any of those flaws. Just get yourself a decisive guy who runs low and doesn't fumble and you'll be fine.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I prefer Thompson and Ta'amu over Chapman. Chapman could miss a whole training camp, it would be a waste year for him. We don't even have a quality backup for nose tackle since Hoke retired.
Thompson might not have enough lead in his pants to play NT in a 3-4, though I could be wrong. And Ta'amu might have the opposite problem since he struggles to keep his weight down. I'd be fine with Alameda this round though.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Ya I read that article already, but it doesn't make sense.... He didn't pay for a tattoo? What rocked the program, exactly?

Old
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Running backs are such a crapshoot you never know what 'value' actually is.

I'm not against drafting RBs outside the top 20 picks (though I see them as 3rd rounders and later in ideal circumstances), but I am always against trading up for one. How good a running back is in the NFL seems to be 80% circumstantial.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

RB has such a low replacement level relative to other positions as well as a pretty distinct shelf life. I think RB would be fine except NT seems to be a bigger need to me.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
DJ Spinoza

It's strange to see a Pirates pitcher ring people up like it's routine. I guess J-Mac is capable of this when he's on, but Burnett has been a lot better than I expected him to be. As long as he and Bedard stay healthy and consistent, we are going to see a lot of decent pitching.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
I think I'm more concerned now than before.
Yeah, I wouldn't have drafted him in the 2nd. Showing up at the combine with drugs in your system is beyond stupid. One of the biggest, most important days of your life and you do that. It screams that you just don't get it.

You never know how being a pro will change somebody though. Maybe someone gets through to him. Heard a lot of people saying in Steelers camp last summer that Marcus Gilbert was horribly lazy until Pouncey got in his ear about it. The bigger issue to me is the drugs. He has failed tests over a number of years now. That's quite a pattern.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
It's strange to see a Pirates pitcher ring people up like it's routine. I guess J-Mac is capable of this when he's on, but Burnett has been a lot better than I expected him to be. As long as he and Bedard stay healthy and consistent, we are going to see a lot of decent pitching.
MacDonald definitely has below average command while Burnett has average command and a tick better stuff. I think Burnett is MacDonald's ceiling at this point, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
MacDonald definitely has below average command while Burnett has average command and a tick better stuff. I think Burnett is MacDonald's ceiling at this point, but I don't think it will ever happen.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. If J-Mac can get some consistency, I think he'll be a very nice #2-3 pitcher. With inconsistency, he's a #4 guy on a team like the Pirates.

Barajas really ****ed us over tonight--we needed to get some runs from Hanson in that inning, and then he cost us a run by not being able to throw anyone out ever.

Old
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Russell Wilson goes to Seattle.

Old
Flat Stanley

Russell Wilson to the Seahawks

Old
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Russel Wilson goes to Seattle.
Wow! I'm a big fan of Wilson but I didn't expect him goes early.

Old
04-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

I think it's too early...but it's Seattle and they're not exactly known for being smart.

That intangible word that gets thrown around does have a lot of merit, I just don't think he's going to be more than a good back-up/sub-par starter in this league. This is sort of no man's land when it comes to drafting QBs. You can't really expect a 3rd round QB to be 'the guy', so it's basically how comfortable you are drafting a guy to be a back-up or 1b guy.

Considering Seattle's QB is Matt Flynn...I don't blame them for this pick. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Wilson takes the job from Flynn by the end of 2013. Flynn isn't the kind of guy that I'd want to hand the starting job with no one pressuring him on the depth chart. This should be adequate pressure on Flynn.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Flat Stanley

Seahawks have Tavaris Jackson on their roster, they sign Matt Flynn, then draft Wilson in the 3rd round.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Tavaris Jackson sucks, and Flynn is unproven but promising. Seattle no doubt hopes that Flynn is what he looks like he is. Failing that, they hope Wilson's accuracy, live arm and smarts make him a good NFL QB. Failing that, they'll play Tavaris Jackson, even though he sucks.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

there's gotta be a way to work a Spiro Agnew joke into the phins pick

edit: phins hope for a future where Tannehill throws spirals to Egnew

Old
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Just popped in to say that I went to school with Lamar Miller and I firmly believe he's got the potential to be the second best RB in this draft. His injuries are a major issue but this was a guy who was a legit first rounder before it happened. This reminds me way too much of the Frank Gore situation. An extremely talented RB who falls to round 3 primarily because of durability issues.

Oh, also I absolutely love our first 2 picks. Love love love. Incredible. And I absolutely HATE taking linemen in the early rounds. But these are two very good linemen, DeCastro especially.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Running backs are such a crapshoot you never know what 'value' actually is.

I'm not against drafting RBs outside the top 20 picks (though I see them as 3rd rounders and later in ideal circumstances), but I am always against trading up for one. How good a running back is in the NFL seems to be 80% circumstantial.
If a running back is not one of the very best in the NFL, most of his success is dependent on his OL. Look what happened to Parker as the Steelers' line deteriorated.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:17 PM
sniugneP

Thompson and Ta'amu are still available and we're 5 picks away.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
I think it's too early...but it's Seattle and they're not exactly known for being smart.

That intangible word that gets thrown around does have a lot of merit, I just don't think he's going to be more than a good back-up/sub-par starter in this league. This is sort of no man's land when it comes to drafting QBs. You can't really expect a 3rd round QB to be 'the guy', so it's basically how comfortable you are drafting a guy to be a back-up or 1b guy.

Considering Seattle's QB is Matt Flynn...I don't blame them for this pick. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Wilson takes the job from Flynn by the end of 2013. Flynn isn't the kind of guy that I'd want to hand the starting job with no one pressuring him on the depth chart. This should be adequate pressure on Flynn.
Matt Flynn couldn't beat out JaMarcus Russell at LSU, I sure wouldn't feel safe having him as my starting QB.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Seahawks have Tavaris Jackson on their roster, they sign Matt Flynn, then draft Wilson in the 3rd round.
Jackson has never pressured anyone. He's a mediocre back-up at best. That was an idiotic draft pick by Minnesota when it happened and it was dumb of Seattle to even think he was capable of doing the job after he played himself out of Minnesota's plans.

HBCU QBs are a no-fly zone for me anymore. The level of competition is barely DIII and the type of offenses are so far away from the NFL that anyone coming from there is going to be a huge project to begin with. You can still get an athlete from there, but QBs...you're not getting Steve McNair going to Alcorn State anymore.

Closed Thread