HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
sniugneP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Damn, Grilli bringing some high heat. K's the last two batters, Nats strand the bases loaded. 3-2 Buc's going to bottom of the 8th.
And we're bringing Hanrahan in for 9th. Anyone feel confident?

Old
05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think my 2013 Steelers draft dream is Manti Te'o. Yep...we're gonna go with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
I think by now everyone knows who I want to see drafted next year.
I want Barkevious Mingo from LSU.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Sivek

Just noticed the Nats have Sean Burnett, Tom Gorzelanny, Xavier Nady and Adam LaRoche on their roster. They trying to recreate the 2008 Pirates? Just need to grab Ian Snell and Jason Michaels and they'd be set.

Whoa Hanrahan at those first 2 pitches.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Geez Joel, settle down.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Agreed with Walkie, that was an awful AB by Ramos.

EDIT: What the heck is going with the Hammer??? Never seen
wildness like that......from anyone since Steve Blass.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Agreed with Walkie, that was an awful AB by Ramos.
Defintely, Hanrahan has thrown 1 strike in 7 pitches and it was borderline and about 5 pitches that were either wild pitches or close to being one.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Defintely, Hanrahan has thrown 1 strike in 7 pitches and it was borderline and about 5 pitches that were either wild pitches or close to being one.
Let's see what he does vs. Harper.

EDIT: The visit by Searage seemed to calm him down. Searage with the touch. They were laughing out there, seems like it was the right medicine. At least against Harper.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
JTG

Quote:
That guy is a beast though. I was just reading a bit on him.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Hammer gets it done. Buc's win!!!

Old
05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Sivek

Stranded 5 runners the last two innings, cutting it as close you can, make it exciting for the fans surely.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:13 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

That was definitely an "intimate crowd". Announced was 14+, and I am sure that was the sold, actual looked liked about 8.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:18 PM
clefty
What?

The NL East must suck this year, or Philadelphia are asleep or something. I don't see how this Nationals team can be leading it.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
I think my 2013 Steelers draft dream is Manti Te'o. Yep...we're gonna go with that.
Being a Notre Dame fan, I have to agree. He's a beast, but I think he will be gone by the time we pick, as of right now, NFL.com has him listed as a top 5 player in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Quote:
If you're talking about John Simon, then I have to agree with this as well. Solid linebacker, don't watch many OSU games but can already tell he's a beast just by looking at him.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Roth has been a serviceable linebacker in the past. Will be good depth if we sign him.
Yeah he would be a good depth signing. He can play both defensive end and linebacker, NFL.com says the Steelers are interested as well as the Bengals. So far Roth has played for Miami, Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'd rather have the undrafted kid than Rayner, to be honest.
I agree. I think the Steelers should bring Piotr Czech back to camp, he was pretty good, I don't know how Jeff Reed got the job over him in the past.

I would go with Grant Ressel (undrafted guy we signed) if Suisham doesn't get the job, but I don't think Suisham will lose his job.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
If you're talking about John Simon, then I have to agree with this as well. Solid linebacker, don't watch many OSU games but can already tell he's a beast just by looking at him.
Yep, it's John Simon alright. He can pretty much play anywhere which would be great for the Steelers. Last year he lined up at MLB, WLB, SLB, LE, RE, and inside.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
It sounds like Alderson has figured some things out and is turning it around this year. He has had a pretty solid year so far, and may be somewhat back on track.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...A.html?nav=751

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=alders001tim

He hasn't allowed a run yet in 13 innings at the AA level.
You jinxed him; 3ER in 3IP.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Being a Notre Dame fan, I have to agree. He's a beast, but I think he will be gone by the time we pick, as of right now, NFL.com has him listed as a top 5 player in the 2013 NFL Draft.

I feel very strongly that he should be a 3-4 DE. The guy weighs 270 and is strong as a ****ing ox. He is an animal. I am almost upset to be going to Carnegie Mellon next year for grad school because I won't get to see him annihilate offensive linemen this coming football season. (Simon I mean).

Old
05-09-2012, 11:01 PM
End of Line
Human After All

I want to add about Simon, he was born to be a Steeler. The way he carries himself, dedication, tenacious, and the amount of heart he plays with is incredible.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Has to be a pretty good chance the Steelers would take Simon if he's there. Ohio State has been like their farm team the past few years. A lot of players have been brought in here from that school recently.

Old
05-10-2012, 06:08 AM
JTG

Quote:

DeCastro was supposed to be gone too. It's all about need, and who comes out.

The thing with Simon is that you never know where he's going to play, so it's hard to get a read on him. He will undoubtedly be a LB in the NFL, so it would be nice of OSU to let him play that position this season. If he plays line, I could see him dropping, a la, Lamarr Woodley.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
It sounds like Alderson has figured some things out and is turning it around this year. He has had a pretty solid year so far, and may be somewhat back on track.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...A.html?nav=751

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=alders001tim

He hasn't allowed a run yet in 13 innings at the AA level.
to be fair though, this guy was viewed by many as a future dominant, #1 SP, now if we're lucky he'll be a mop-up guy from the pen. He won't ever "turn it around" but he may eventually see some time in the bullpen haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Even if Alderson was a slipping prospect Sanchez was damaged goods who was never a third as good as his fan club would had you think.
agree completely. Its not like we got the #1 pitching prospect in the league when we traded for Alderson. People were already starting to suspect Alderson was a bit of damaged goods but because Sanchez is one of the most overrated players in pirates history, by fans, it was a risk worth taking. I hate a hitter who hits like .314 with a .320 OBP and thats what sanchez would do. Really drives me nuts when a guy's OBP is completely due to his average. He was a better Josh Harrison and people are in love with Harrison too so i guess its predictable at this point.

Last edited by DoctrSteveBrule: 05-10-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Sanchez was a likeable guy with a sexy mainstream stat, that's all there is to it.

I liked the guy too...but he wasn't anything more than a slightly above average second baseman with healthy, and he hasn't been healthy since before the season before the Pirates traded him. Even if Alderson doesn't regain his form that's a risk worth taking in my eyes. Sanchez hasn't done anything but frustrate the Giants (a sub-.730 OPS in only 196 games since that trade with his defensive range shrinking).

It'll be nice to see Alderson put together a career of some sort, but as you said he won't "put it back together" since his days of being a top-of-the-rotation prospect are long gone...but he could still be a damn fine set-up man.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-10-2012, 11:47 AM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
You jinxed him; 3ER in 3IP.
Drat. Oh well! Still not doing completely terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
to be fair though, this guy was viewed by many as a future dominant, #1 SP, now if we're lucky he'll be a mop-up guy from the pen. He won't ever "turn it around" but he may eventually see some time in the bullpen haha
Yeah, I just meant to say that he may still develop into something, which is more than was expected of him after last season.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Hanrahan placed on bereavement list, McCutchen called up from Indy.

I was a big McCutchen fan and he was one of our best relievers last year. Did he have a terrible spring or what?

Old
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Hanrahan placed on bereavement list, McCutchen called up from Indy.

I was a big McCutchen fan and he was one of our best relievers last year. Did he have a terrible spring or what?
McCutchen will always be near the top of my list of Pirates after his performance in Atlanta last year. Just an absolute warrior who want to win. He's not an excellent pitcher or anything though. I think he just lost his spot because we were chocked full of right handed relievers to start the season.

Closed Thread