HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
I think he just lost his spot because we were chocked full of right handed relievers to start the season.
Yeah. Going off memory I think he had solid Spring numbers but was just lost in the numbers game. Having an option left can be a blessing and a curse.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
clefty
What?

I don't think Alvarez has had a hit since he got his confidence back and was moved to the clean up spot. Typical.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Correia giving up bombs.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
clefty
What?

Why are we making Adam LaRoche look like Roger Maris?

Correia's lost the plot, move him over for Lincoln. Karstens is on his way back anyway.

Old
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Strasburg walks bases loaded.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
DJ Spinoza

Correia should no longer be in the starting rotation.

Old
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Strasburg walks bases loaded.
walks the bases loaded then Jones goes up there and swings at the first pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
Correia should no longer be in the starting rotation.
never should have been to begin with. He had the worst ERA among full-time starters in the Majors the year we signed him. He was one of those signings where the pirates just try to get someone that people might know his name for marketing purposes. He's serviceable, but not as a full-time starter. Should be used in the pen and as a spot starter.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Flat Stanley

Dejan Kovacevic thinks the Steelers offensive line is going to look like this.

Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon

What about this?

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

which one looks better on paper?

Old
05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think they want to see what Gilbert can do at LT. It's where they drafted him to play. If he bombs they still have Starks, who I think they'd love to fallback into a backup, swing tackle role this season. We also have Adams to develop into a LT if Gilbert doesn't get it done.

I expect Dejan's lineup to be what we go with this season. I think by the season after it will look more like
Adams Colon/Gilbert Pouncey DeCastro Colon/Gilbert

Just depends whether they'll move Colon to guard at some point if the two young tackles pan out.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:33 PM
JTG

Why is Ramon Foster still starting? Please, riddle me that.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
DockEllisExperience

Wait, when did we resign Starks?

Old
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
Wait, when did we resign Starks?
We didn't. I read that if the Steelers are going to use Willie Colon as a LG, then they will let Gilbert grow in his original position at RT.

Then the Steelers wouldn't mind re-signing Starks to play LT to help get Mike Adams a full NFL year under his belt before being a starter.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Why is Ramon Foster still starting? Please, riddle me that.
I guess the fact that he's bigger than Legursky. It kind of surprises me too. I prefer Legursky to him. I think Legursky plays very well at LG and C.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Watching the Pirates offense is like paying a guy to kick you in the face.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:49 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Offensive ineptitude at it's finest for the Pirates.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

A guy on third with no outs on two separate occasions (and second and first in the latter occurrence) with nothing to show for it.

That's unacceptable on so many levels.

Poor McDonald. Even when he helps his own cause with the bat (first time that's ever happened...Norris flubbed it for an error, but that was a perfect bunt by a guy who has a legitimate claim as worst hitting pitcher in baseball, so I'll take it) he just sits at first base for 20 minutes watching Tabata whiff at the perfect pitch, McLouth being his useless self, and McCutchen choke up on the bat a little too much.

On that note...the Pirates right now have four guys who's name starts with Mc. That's a little weird.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

On that note...the Pirates right now have four guys who's name starts with Mc. That's a little weird.
I think you're missing some guys actually.

McCutchen
McCutchen
McKenry
McGehee
McLouth
McDonald

That's seriously insane.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Sivek

After showing signs of life for two weeks, Pedro is now in a 0-18 spiral.

Pirates roster reads like that of an 1890's era club with all those Irish sounding names.

Charlie Morton may also be the worst hitter/fielder of his era and one of the worst of all time in context. His slash stats are all under .100 (slugging% is just over it but will almost guaranteed to be below .100 in a couple of at-bats) and his fielding percentage looks like a good save%, being in the .920's for his career, which is just awful. He would have tied for next to last in 2010 if didn't miss qualifying by a little and already has 3 errors this year so his fielding percentage is a nearly demonic .667. Fielding percentages are useless for real defenders but for a pitcher, he's usually only playing bunts or throwing pickoffs yet Morton has 7 errors in under 280 IP the last few years. His poor hitting and fielding passes the eye test as well, as I though he was one of the worst hitters/fielders at pitcher I have ever seen and all the numbers bear that out. 76 K's in 155 at-bats, one career walk (how did that happen?) for an career OBP of .080. He has a real chance of being the second worst hitting pitcher of the modern era. Don Carman is the anti-Gretzky of pitcher hitting with numbers that are likely never to be approached. Pretty amazing in a way.

Ugh, send in pinch-runner, pinch-runner then gets picked off.

Last edited by Sivek: 05-11-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
I think you're missing some guys actually.

McCutchen
McCutchen
McKenry
McGehee
McLouth
McDonald

That's seriously insane.
Jesus, I somehow forgot the second McCutchen and McKenry. Total brain fart.

Still...that's absurd. I've never met 4 people with Mc starts to their last names before, never mind 6 out of a sample size of 25.

And that good ol' Irish boy McDonald is having himself one hell of a season so far. He really deserves this win...c'mon guys.

McBarajas leads off with a single, pinch run for by McHarrison...and he gets picked off. Wow.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-11-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Holy crap Buccos.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Pathetic.

EDIT: Lee made that slow chopper to 3rd a close play. Some good hustle. Decent for a guy that size. Still can't believe that Walker couldn't beat out that slow ground ball deep into the SS hole, with a long slow rainbow throw to 1st.

Last edited by td_ice: 05-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old
05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Come on Nate, let that hit the back of your calf.

UGH, game over.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

McLouth really isn't a Major League player at this point...I would love to know what the **** happened to him. He was never as good as that pre-All Star Game hot streak a few years back had some people thinking, but he was still a solid third outfielder with solid pop and a decent glove...now he's just a minus everywhere.

This is the kind of game that just kills you. McDonald dominated and the offense just actively lost the game. We're getting to the point where a move has to be made or else attendance is going to bottom out. You have to give the fans a reason to go to the games, and 2.5 runs a game of offense isn't going to do it. Everyone wants to see a 2-1 pitchers duel...no one wants to see a 1-0 game with the offense on one side just blowing everything possible. When Rod Barajas accounts for half your offense on a night, you've got problems.

And get McPedro the hell away from the 4 hole. That move somehow killed his confidence. 3 more strikeouts tonight.

Old
05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Yep ^. Shame to see us wasting good pitching performances.

Old
05-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Turning to other things...BA had their first mock draft of the year yesterday and had the Buccos taking SS Deven Marrero out of Arizona State.

I'm not a fan of the pick just because Marrero doesn't have enough of a bat to warrant a top 10 pick in my eyes. The Pirates are probably screwed unless someone goes off the board, but with the new draft rules that's going to be much less likely. In the days of old the top 7 prospects in the draft could span 61 draft picks...now they'll likely go 1-7.

Unfortunately for the Pirates top prep pitching prospect Lucas Giolito suffered an elbow injury in March and is a total wildcard because of it. Because he's a prep arm he's not going to budge from his asking price, which would already take about 2/3 of the Pirates' draft budget, so the risk of drafting him becomes two-fold because of signability and injury...I'm highly doubting he goes in the first round because of it (it's not a major injury...but outside of those first couple picks no one is going to be able to afford him in the new capped draft, and with there being about 7 other very good prospects at the top of the draft the injury concern will drop him). If the Pirates hadn't gone pitcher the past couple years I may say Giolito may be a possibility just for the home run factor, but we may be better off looking elsewhere and spreading the bonus money around instead of trying to hit a home run and being left with peanuts for the rest of the draft. The only good thing about the capped system is that teams like the Yankees and Braves have no hope of signing him...but the Cardinals and Red Sox have more bonus money to give out than the Pirates, so even that one minor positive is instantly destroyed.

The Pirates won't draft for need...no team is stupid enough to draft for need in the baseball draft. If the Pirates are desperate for a short stop in the coming years, which we will be since rising prospect Alen Hansen, a SS right now, doesn't project to that position in the majors, but it is far easier (and smarter) to trade from a strength to fill a weakness than to reach on an amateur in hopes that he'll solve your problems in 3 years. Hansen will likely be forcing the Pirates into an interesting decision with Neil Walker in 2-3 years since he's as natural a 2B as they come. The Pirates have enough pitching at the Major League level and the minors that a trade will be inevitable eventually, the Pirates SS of the future will be coming from the outside, of that I have no doubt.

I think the Pirates will eventually settle for drafting a bat this year, just because there isn't going to be anyone with ace potential available at the #8 spot this time around, but the position of the player will have no bearing on who they pick. Huntington has made it abundantly clear in the past that position doesn't matter to him, only talent. If it's an outfielder...so be it. Deal from a position of strength and you hold all the cards.

Closed Thread