HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 04:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Blah... needed one there.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:06 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Cruz does his job, 1, 2, 3 inning. The Fort is lucky he didn't take that one off his throwing hand. Although I am sure that it didn't feel good on the knee.

EDIT: That was an ugly AB for Pedro. Corriea was on deck.

Last edited by td_ice: 05-13-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Wow, what an abrupt ending after it looked like another DOA inning. Awesome.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
DJ Spinoza

LOL, couldn't draw up a more fitting ending to this one.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

YESSS!!! 2 out magic, Barmes double, Harrison singles wins it for the Buc's.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
What the **** was that?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
FlightlessBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Anyone know what the hand signal that Barjas does, is/means?
I came here to ask that. I've tried Google but found nothing. It's not just him either, they all do it!

After they won, the camera showed a little girl doing the gesture and Walk said "doing the Josh Harrison," but I don't know if he was talking about that, whatever they were doing during their celebration, or his winning hit.

Rob King just called it "the new symbol of the Pirates."

Old
05-13-2012, 04:41 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Sivek called it earlier in the thread. Rodriguez stays in the game, it is most likely a loss. I agree, the 'Stros manager blew that one, giving us a chance to face someone else, any, as we had nothing going against Wandy.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
DJ Spinoza

Burnett did put in a good game today--it's not like the Astros are very good, but this is definitely a game we needed to win, and Burnett pitched like a top of the rotation pitcher should.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Sivek called it earlier in the thread. Rodriguez stays in the game, it is most likely a loss. I agree, the 'Stros manager blew that one, giving us a chance to face someone else, any, as we had nothing going against Wandy.
Yes, he definitely did. Hurdle did his best to try to out-overmanage him, but I'll chalk this win up to us having a better bullpen.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Not bad... just get some run support and go on a bit of a run.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessBird View Post
I came here to ask that. I've tried Google but found nothing. It's not just him either, they all do it!

After they won, the camera showed a little girl doing the gesture and Walk said "doing the Josh Harrison," but I don't know if he was talking about that, whatever they were doing during their celebration, or his winning hit.

haha you guys really don't know? Its almost annoying how much they have talked about it the last two games. Its from the movie "Dude, Where's My Car." Its the Zoltan symbol. Really really dumb. Don't know "why" they chose this as their "team signal" but thats what its is/is from.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:

Just asked a buddy, who is a huge Bucco fan, via text, about the hand gesture. His reply was, "It's from the movie 'Dude where is my car', but not sure why they do it."

Old
05-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
The thing that's going to kill us is the second that Alvarez gets going again is when McCutchen will get out of his run he's on now. I'd love to see what we could do if they were both hitting at the same time.

Huge win today though. Really need a strong showing on this road trip.

Old
05-13-2012, 04:58 PM
FlightlessBird

Quote:
Just asked a buddy, who is a huge Bucco fan, via text, about the hand gesture. His reply was, "It's from the movie 'Dude where is my car', but not sure why they do it."
At least now I know. Thanks. Have never seen the movie and don't plan to.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:06 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
At least now I know. Thanks. Have never seen the movie and don't plan to.
Agreed on the movie. At least we now know the origin (assuming he was correct). Still wonder the why on the Buc's players using it. (Got another text, from another Buc's fan, saying, "it's Zoltan from the movie....")

EDIT: OK just now seeing ..Brule's post.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Old
05-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Turning to other things...BA had their first mock draft of the year yesterday and had the Buccos taking SS Deven Marrero out of Arizona State.
I'm not really a fan of a Marrero pick for the same reason, not enough bat to make me think he has a ceiling of more than an okay SS if things break right. He's a good fielder with a nice arm so that means he has a lot of position flexibility and should be a strong shot at having a big league career as a utility guy if his hitting doesn't pan out but it's just too safe of a pick for me.

Pirates can't acquire star caliber players by any other means than the draft/international market, so they shouldn't try to be safe with their high picks. Just look at how their "safe" first round picks since 2000 have turned out.

2009 4th-C Tony Sanchez-Looks to be a league-average catcher at best at this point.

2007-4th-LHP Daniel Moskos-pretty much a LOOGY at best

2006-4th-RHP Brad Lincoln-27 year old swingman. The 4th overall pick for the Pirates is a bad thing it seems. Was considered the safest pick of the Lincoln/Morrow/Reynolds/Lincecum/Scherzer college RHP's that year and has turned out better than only Reynolds, who oddly enough was the only member of that quintet that was picked before him.

2003-8th-LHP Paul Maholm-This pick has actually worked out exactly as it was forecasted, a middle-of-the-rotation innings-eater guy. RHP Jeffrey Allison was the big upside pick that year and completely flopped. Maholm is arguably the 3rd best pitcher picked in the 1st round that year.

2002-1st-RHP Bryan Bullington-not much to say here. While BJ Upton hasn't turned out as expected, he would of been a million times better than Bullington and pretty much every team had him ranked higher than BB.

2000-19th (hard to believe they picked that low) LHP Sean Burnett-A high school pitcher pick but he was a safe pick in the sense that he was extremely praised for his command, mound presence, poise rather than stuff. Really shouldn't be taking pitchers who struggle to break 90 in the first round. A LOOGY

One could argue they took a chance on VanBenschoten, but he was going to be a high pick for some team, just as a hitter not a pitcher. Ugh, still can't believe they took the NCAA home run leader and immediately turned him into a pitcher. Not surprisingly, he is the all-time leader in MLB history for highest ERA with a minimum of 90 IP. Yeah, making him a pitcher wasn't too good of an idea.

I would say the only guys they really took on a chance since 1999 were McCutchen and Bobby Bradley in 1999. McCutchen was a highly thought of draft prospect but there were legit concerns about him since he played his high-school ball at a low level of competition compared to most high-level draftees and there were concerns about his size limiting his extra-base hit potential. Bradley was tearing **** up his first couple of years, had serious arm problems, pitched well after coming back, then kept getting hurt to the point of no return. He looked like the real deal until his arm failed on him.

In short, they should take the guy with the highest upside, except if that guy is some type of Roscoe Crosby-type player who has no actual baseball skills. I don't have anyone in particular in mind but someone like Marcus Stroman would defintely be a high-risk, high-reward guy. He's really short but has top-of-the line stuff, one of those guys who would be a lock top 3 pick if he were taller. Lucas Giolito will likely be a tough sign for any team, but him getting hurt now may make him realize that he would be better off signing as a top 10 pick rather than taking a chance and not signing and end up another Matt Harrington and costing himself millions in an attempt to make a decent chunk more on his initial signing bonus.. A Deven Marrero pick would be really disappointing in my eyes.

Last edited by Sivek: 05-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Pirates can't acquire star caliber players by any other means than the draft/international market, so they shouldn't try to be safe with their high picks. Just look at how their "safe" first round picks since 2000 have turned out.
thats all well and good and all but the fact that we can't overslot on picks anymore just makes it more likely that more signability picks are to follow.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
thats all well and good and all but the fact that we can't overslot on picks anymore just makes it more likely that more signability picks are to follow.
Yeah, but safe doesn't always mean just signability concerns. Sometimes safe means not taking a chance on a pitcher with unconventional mechanics but great results/stuff or a player who has less than desirable size. The new system will definitely limit high-level players falling (until someone finds a way to exploit it) but there are still ways for teams to hit big on guys as long as they're not too risk-adverse.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:28 PM
sniugneP

Quote:

I would say the only guys they really took on a chance since 1999 were McCutchen and Bobby Bradley in 1999. McCutchen was a highly thought of draft prospect but there were really conerns about him since he played his high-school ball at a low level of competition compared to most high-level draftees and there were concerns about his size limiting his extra-base hit potential. Bradley was tearing **** up his first couple of years, had serious arm problems, pitched well after coming back, then kept getting hurt to the point of no return. He looked like the really deal until his arm failed on him.
I was really high on Bradley. Had he stayed healthy, he would have been in rotation on other team after Bucs trade him.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:32 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Yeah, but safe doesn't always mean just signability concerns. Sometimes safe means not taking a chance on a pitcher with unconventional mechanics but great results/stuff or a player who has less than desirable size. The new system will definitely limit high-level players falling (until someone finds a way to exploit it) but there are still ways for teams to hit big on guys as long as they're not too risk-adverse.
i agree with you 100%. I think the Cole pick over Bauer kind of emphasized what you mentioned. Bauer had much better numbers but Cole looks like he provides a better frame for a top notch starting pitcher.

I'm part of the group that kind of throws away all the the draft picks that happened prior to 2007 because I believe all of those picks were made 100% based on signability. I think Coonley and Huntington know what they are doing and I expect more out of the draft in the next few years. I don't lump all the awful history in with Huntington and Coonley because the point is, anyone prior was not given the resources to do their job at an adequate level. Its not like we're magically a big market but I think the leash has been loosened a bit. So we'll see.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Bradley was the worst of the 'Bucco luck' that ruined every Pirates pitching prospects arms in the late 90s/early 00s...he had stud potential.

The Pirates first round drafting in the Bonifay and Littlefield eras are just dumbfounding. Bonifay drafted a first baseman that everyone thought would be a first baseman and turned him into a pitcher...who was so putrid he never made it above AA...so Littlefield goes and does it with a top ten pick in Van Benschoeten, who was a legitimate top 10 prospect as a batter. That one kills me more than the other ones because he actually got the right guy, but at the wrong position. Bonifay was an idiot, but Littlefield has a legitimate claim to being the worst GM in any sport in history. I'd give him the whole 'signability' thing if not for the fact that he rarely got his idiotic picks at discount prices. Moskos got something like a $4.2 million bonus when he was expected to go in the sandwich round and everyone in the world, except Littlefield, knew he wasn't going to be a starter. Littlefield just saw a guy with a nice fastball and pretended he was Roger Clemens. Giving him money was even more dangerous than limiting it (see: Morris, Matt).

Safe picks will become more common...but you still have to swing for the home runs in the first round unless there's nothing worth the money. With the stupid new draft rules you really only get one chance to do that now...even if the Pirates go safe with the 8th overall pick the only thing you gain from it is an extra bonus baby instead of a safe pick in one of the following rounds...but we're talking Zach Von Rosenberg bonus baby, not Josh Bell.

Honestly, if the top 7 goes like BA predicts (highly unlikely) then I'd say go for Giolito. His injury was a minor one and he has, arguably, the highest ceiling in the draft. So what if he takes 70% of the draft budget (as any legitimately good top 10 pick will) and is yet another right-handed pitcher...go for the home run. I've been chirping the draft BPA and trade from strength position for years and I'm not about to stop now. A potential ace is going to have far more value than a low-ceiling, but 'safe', short stop every time (there is no such thing as 'safe' in the Rule IV Draft anyway).

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
JTG

Rumor is that the Steelers are looking at bringing in Tomlinson. I'd be a big fan of this, even though LT is pretty much gassed at this point. We have some young runners. LT could help them a lot, all the while getting some decent carries.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Rumor is that the Steelers are looking at bringing in Tomlinson. I'd be a big fan of this, even though LT is pretty much gassed at this point. We have some young runners. LT could help them a lot, all the while getting some decent carries.
That's be a weird jersey to see. Just something I never expected.

Closed Thread