HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
I'll take a split in this series if it means Correia has lost his spot in the rotation.
Cheers to that.

He's not as awful as a lot of people are making him out to be (though he was bad tonight)...but when you have capable arms right now you have to make the move. Correia would be fine as a swing man. The only reason I can think of him staying in the rotation longer would be to try to maximize his trade value. Correia almost certainly isn't going to be a Pirate come August 1. He won't fetch a huge return, but if a competitor has a pitcher go down (inevitable about five times over) then a veteran who has had a solid career as a bottom-of-the-rotation guy will garner some interest.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Willie Colon has officially been moved to LG. Steelers told him after the draft.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Willie Colon has officially been moved to LG. Steelers told him after the draft.
Nice! Now sign Max Starks.

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

Old
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Yeah. The line looks decent for once.

Quote:
17m Mike Prisuta Mike Prisuta ‏@DVEMike

Willie Colon made it official today: "I've made the transition to left guard. I like it. It's just a matter of learning the verbiage."
Quote:
12m Mike Prisuta Mike Prisuta ‏@DVEMike

Colon said Steelers called him right after draft about switch to LG. "My only issue would have been 'don't move me midway through camp.'"
Quote:
Mike Prisuta ‏@DVEMike

Colon at LG, DeCastro at RG will both pull. Colon: "You should expect both of us pulling. I think we're going to be a lot more balanced."
Here's the source.http://twitter.com/#!/DVEMike

Old
05-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

That is an extrememly strong line, on paper anyways. Fun fact that three of the five are from the University of Florida and played with one another at one point or another.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

Thank you. That's good that he likes the transition to LG and isn't making a big deal about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
That is an extrememly strong line, on paper anyways. Fun fact that three of the five are from the University of Florida and played with one another at one point or another.
That's pretty cool. Steelers now have Chris Rainey also, they must like guys out of Florida. Now, when Batch and Leftwich leave the team we can bring in Tim Tebow to back up Roethlisberger.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

So do we think they'll sign starks? I would at least do it for insurance if they don't like him starting.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
So do we think they'll sign starks? I would at least do it for insurance if they don't like him starting.
I honestly do think they will sign Starks. I've read that they would strongly consider it if his health checks out.

This would allow them to let Marcus Gilbert develop at his natural position as a RT. They want to get Mike Adams 1 full year in the NFL under his belt before he's a starter, he can be 2nd string LT behind Max Starks and learn a thing or 2 from his as well.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

If we have learned anything over the past few years, depth on the offensive line is crucial. And has killed us in years past. Signing Starks is a must in my book.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:13 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Cheers to that.

He's not as awful as a lot of people are making him out to be (though he was bad tonight)...but when you have capable arms right now you have to make the move. Correia would be fine as a swing man. The only reason I can think of him staying in the rotation longer would be to try to maximize his trade value. Correia almost certainly isn't going to be a Pirate come August 1. He won't fetch a huge return, but if a competitor has a pitcher go down (inevitable about five times over) then a veteran who has had a solid career as a bottom-of-the-rotation guy will garner some interest.
Agreed--he's not that bad. His main problem is an inability to get Ks when he needs to. It's worth seeing what Lincoln has for a while, with Correia as a swing man, long inning relief type of guy.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
DJ Spinoza

In other news, Gio Gonzalez could probably just pitch from the dugout tonight.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:42 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Cheers to that.

Correia is every bit as bad as people make him out to be. It just to too long for most to realize this.

Career WHIP of almost 1.5...thats terrible. He is no doubt the worst full time starter in the MLB and has been for many years.

This year:
FIP- 5.08
K/BB- 0.93
Contact%- 90.5 %

that is just terrible.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
clefty
What?

Great call with Evan Meek today, Pirates. Why did we even need another reliever on the roster anyway? And why then does Meek, a few weeks ago not considered good enough to be in the bullpen, take the mound in a one run game, when you've got Jason Grilli and Juan Cruz fresh from a night off? And not nearly as confounding as the decision to put him in, was the decision to keep him in when he hits one guy, then walks two more. Who was the least bit surprised when what went down in the 7th actually went down after that?

Great call, Pirates. Great call.

As far as our lineup is concerned, suffice it to say I never want to see last night's lineup ever, ever, ever again. Ever. Dear God, from 5-down it was a nightmare, even though Harrison out of nowhere went deep, we probably should have batted Bedard sixth. With Presley now out of the picture for the foreseeable future, Jones is probably going to have to be an everyday Right Fielder with Tabata going left and McGehee at first. Leaving just McLouth (oh, the humanity) and Navarro (bleh) to backup the outfield and slide in when we face lefties, and Harrison (also bleh) to cover Alvarez and to give us merciful respite from Barmes.

Oh dear. We have to find a bat, somewhere, somehow.

Last edited by clefty: 05-17-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old
05-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Great call with Evan Meek today, Pirates. Why did we even need another reliever on the roster anyway? And why then does Meek, a few weeks ago not considered good enough to be in the bullpen, take the mound in a one run game, when you've got Jason Grilli and Juan Cruz fresh from a night off? And not nearly as confounding as the decision to put him in, was the decision to keep him in when he hits one guy, then walks two more. Who was the least bit surprised when what went down in the 7th actually went down after that?

Great call, Pirates. Great call.

As far as our lineup is concerned, suffice it to say I never want to see last night's lineup ever, ever, ever again. Ever. Dear God, from 5-down it was a nightmare, even though Harrison out of nowhere went deep, we probably should have batted Bedard sixth. With Presley now out of the picture for the foreseeable future, Jones is probably going to have to be an everyday Right Fielder with Tabata going left and McGehee at first. Leaving just McLouth (oh, the humanity) and Navarro (bleh) to backup the outfield and slide in when we face lefties, and Harrison (also bleh) to cover Alvarez and to give us merciful respite from Barmes.

Oh dear. We have to find a bat, somewhere, somehow.
Trade Hanrahan for a good bat and make Meek or Grilli/Cruz the closer?

Or trade top prospects for help now?

Old
05-17-2012, 01:04 AM
clefty
What?

There's no point in trading Hanrahan right now, the Pirates need to deal him for something of real substance that helps their future. Their best shot at that is for Hanrahan's value to rise all the way to the deadline, and ship him to a desperate, buying contender.

Right now I don't even want Meek on the roster, let alone as closer.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Clint Barmes has had 113 plate appearances and walked once. Once. He hits a lot of doubles, but he doesn't hit a lot. And he's signed for two years. Ugh.

Somewhere in Japan, Aki Iwamura is laughing at this acquisition.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
JTG

Quote:

I figured that's how things were going to look. I like what we can do with that line. I think having Decastro leading the way on the strong side and being a great pulling guard to the weak side will really give us a strong advantage on the ground.

I'm also not so sure Colon would have been able to be a tackle with the injuries he's coming off of.

Quote:
I honestly do think they will sign Starks. I've read that they would strongly consider it if his health checks out.

This would allow them to let Marcus Gilbert develop at his natural position as a RT. They want to get Mike Adams 1 full year in the NFL under his belt before he's a starter, he can be 2nd string LT behind Max Starks and learn a thing or 2 from his as well.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think Gilbert's natural position is LT. Whether they want him to be that in the pro's is another question, but he was drafted to be a LT.

Signing Starks is probably a good move to make. Let him, Adams, and maybe even Gilbert battle it out.

A good line will always have guys who can spell in and have the line not miss a beat. We finally have that, it seems. Pretty excited to see how everything shakes out.

Last edited by JTG: 05-17-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old
05-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Clint Barmes has had 113 plate appearances and walked once. Once. He hits a lot of doubles, but he doesn't hit a lot. And he's signed for two years. Ugh.

Somewhere in Japan, Aki Iwamura is laughing at this acquisition.
The thing is, a few of us called this at the signing.

Moving to the Steelers and Starks, I think that it is a great move both ways. Remember that Starks was sitting on his ass at home when we signed him last year, he had little interest elsewhere. And we need depth at the position, injuires on the line have killed us the past few years and I believe cost us at least one SB victory.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

I wasn't a fan of the move, but I didn't expect him to be worse than Iwamura at twice the price. That's almost incomprehensibly bad.

Regarding Starks, I hate him, and I've always hated him at the LT position, and I'm sick of the team finding the two biggest, fattest, slowest slobs on the roster and making that the left side of their line, but I think there's no way they don't bring him back.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

More on the Steelers O-Line plans.

Quote:
Rookie Mike Adams will go to left tackle and Marcus Gilbert will stay at right tackle, a source close to the situation told me today.
At least that’s the plan going into training camp. That obviously could change if Adams cannot handle the job but the coaching staff believes he can and quickly made that decision right after they drafted him.
It’s why they put the phone call into Willie Colon so quickly to inform him of his move to left guard.
So, as long as things work out, the Steelers offensive line will look like this:
LT Mike Adams, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Marcus Gilbert.
Possible backups: T Jonathan Scott, G/T Trai Essex, G/C Doug Legursky, G Ramon Foster.
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...medium=twitter

Old
05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
cassius

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but did you guys honestly expect the Pirates bats to be good this year? They did absolutely nothing to enhance their lineup. If anything, their power is actually worse than last season because they dropped Doumit / Derek Lee.

I feel like a lot of folks in the media are surprised with this power outage, but shouldn't everyone learn to expect this by now?

To be honest, I'm really not surprised with the lack of power this year. Going into the season, we all knew that the Pirates had a very weak lineup. There is no easy solution and it probably won't be getting better anytime soon (barring a big trade).

You can blame it on the hitting coach, but when it comes down to it our roster just isn't very good at all.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but did you guys honestly expect the Pirates bats to be good this year? They did absolutely nothing to enhance their lineup. If anything, their power is actually worse than last season because they dropped Doumit / Derek Lee.

I feel like a lot of folks in the media are surprised with this power outage, but shouldn't everyone learn to expect this by now?

To be honest, I'm really not surprised with the lack of power this year. Going into the season, we all knew that the Pirates had a very weak lineup. There is no easy solution and it probably won't be getting better anytime soon (barring a big trade).

You can blame it on the hitting coach, but when it comes down to it our roster just isn't very good at all.
Yes and no. I figured the lineup wouldn't have much pop. Tabata and Presley are a really, really REALLY light-hitting corner outfield, Jones can't hit lefties, and before the season started, I wasn't convinced Alvarez would hit at all. Barajas has a little power, but less than Doumit. Barmes hit home runs in Coors Field, but I didn't expect him to hit many for Pittsburgh. I always assume that guys on the Rockies are hitting pretend home runs (which is fitting, given that their stadium is named for pretend beer).

On the other hand, I thought McGehee might have a bounce-back year and that he along with Presley, Walker and Tabata would get on base at at least a half-decent clip. Right now McCutchen is the only guy the Pirates have who should be batting in the top-3 of a batting order.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
JTG

We went from having a line of undrafteds to 2 years later having a line with 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders. I remember before the 2011 draft, I was saying that I"d love to see the Steelers do something in the coming years like they did in the late 90's and early 2000's with Faneca, Smith, Simmons, and signing Hartings. It is so much easier bringing in a bunch of young offensive linemen and having them all grow up together.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Flat Stanley

Steelers cut Grant Ressel, kicker from Mizzou and signed Daniel Hrapmann, kicker/punter from Southern Miss.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
James McDonald is some sort of hot right now. 5 Ks through 6 batters.

Closed Thread