HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Worst offense in the game vs. arguably the best pitcher in the World. You didn't need to be psychic to see this train wreck coming.
I turned the game on in the 7th just to check the score. Wasn't surprised so I kept moving. Then I thought what you just said up there and thought "I bet we don't even have a hit." Was not surprised when I checked the box score. Now I'm glued to the TV.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I watched Verlander no-hit the Jays last spring. After about the 7th inning I was rooting for it to happen. So fun to watch.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

We haven't even been close to making contact on most of these swings

Edit: Oh ****. Josh Harrison ruining everybody's fun.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Sweet!! Way to go Harrison. Yeah we still lose but didn't want to see us no hit.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Well, avoided utter humiliation. Have to settle for significant humiliation.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I hope Harrison walks with friends tonight..

Old
05-18-2012, 08:31 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Well, avoided utter humiliation. Have to settle for significant humiliation.
Yeah, that is about all we can hang our hats on tonight.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:32 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Moral victory boys! Haha.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Flat Stanley

Steelers sign Andre Freeman, CB from Slippery Rock. He's a Pittsburgh native.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I saw they released Trevis Turner to make room for this kid. Sucks for Turner. He's got three sets of twins to support. Hopefully he finds work somewhere.

The CB is likely a camp fodder. I always pull for the local kids to do well though. I can't imagine how huge the adjustment must feel like when you go from playing the competition he'd go up against playing at Slippery Rock to what he'll face in the NFL. At least he may not have to deal with Mike Wallace if Wallace holds out for a bit early in camp.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Don't they have a roster spot available after the younger Stapleton failed his physical?

Old
05-19-2012, 12:06 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Found this interesting

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...d-bronx-bomber

Quote:
A grand total of 39 MLB players who have played this season have earned a college degree. Keep in mind that 917 men have appeared in a game as of Wednesday morning, so that means just 4.3 percent of ballplayers have acquired four-year college degrees.
Quote:
The Atlanta Braves, Washington Nationals, Cincinnati Reds, San Diego Padres and Pittsburgh Pirates are N.L. clubs without a graduation situation.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

College is something you can do when you're old. I speak from experience on this.

Making obscene amounts of money playing baseball is a much more limited-time deal. It's a better investment for the players to pursue their baseball career now and put away some money for tuition. They can get degrees after their baseball careers are over.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:18 AM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah, I saw they released Trevis Turner to make room for this kid. Sucks for Turner. He's got three sets of twins to support. Hopefully he finds work somewhere.

The CB is likely a camp fodder. I always pull for the local kids to do well though. I can't imagine how huge the adjustment must feel like when you go from playing the competition he'd go up against playing at Slippery Rock to what he'll face in the NFL. At least he may not have to deal with Mike Wallace if Wallace holds out for a bit early in camp.
If I had A set of twins...I'd be way more inclined to use some sort of contraception, let alone getting 2 sets, and testing my luck for a 3rd. I feel bad for the kids, but that dude is an idiot.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:19 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Baseball, much like hockey, is not really conducive to getting a college degree. Granted, guys do it in hockey all the time, but if you're worth your weight as a prospect, you can bet your sweet ass you're not finishing your education.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:21 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Baseball, much like hockey, is not really conducive to getting a college degree. Granted, guys do it in hockey all the time, but if you're worth your weight as a prospect, you can bet your sweet ass you're not finishing your education.
you would see a lot more players with College degrees if players weren't forced to go to affiliate leagues when drafted out of high school or after their sophomore season of college. If teams could maintain control of a player while he attended school, even if only for 2-3 years, then you wouldn't see so many. It would probably be better for the game overall but teams don't want to let their prospects be in the hands of other people. Development teams want complete control over them.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:04 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

That's what I was thinking...let em go while they are under a teams control. Just like the nhl.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Jaded-Fan

Free-agent OT Max Starks (Steelers) has yet to be contacted by his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, seemingly further solidifying the team's intentions of giving rookie second-round draft pick OT Mike X. Adams every opportunity of winning the left tackle job in training camp. "I have not had contact with management or anybody like that," Starks said. "I guess eventually I will hear something from them … or maybe not."

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=787...hear-from-team

Old
05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Sivek

It's stunning the Pirates have such a complete lack of any type of significant offensive player in their system. Gorkys Hernandez is struggling hard in AAA and is a 5th outfielder at best, Starling Marte has been poor with a .240/.310./408 line, Chase d'Arnaud might be the worst hitter in AAA at this point. At AA, Tony Sanchez is hitting really bad, Robbie Grossman is hitting .223/.337/.365 and no other player on the team projects as a regular. Looks to to be 2 years at best until any type of real bat is ready for the majors from the farm system. Unless Pirates make a trade, offense is going to continue to be extremely bad the next few years. Team needs to trade one of the starters for a bat and just plug in Lincoln and see what he can do.

In other news, everybody's favorite passed-up pitcher,Trevor Bauer, has already been promoted to AAA and dominated his first start there, 8 IP-4 H-1 BB-1 R-11 K's. He had a 1.68 era and 60 K's in 48 IP in AA. He's pretty much a lock to make his major league debut this season.

Dylan Bundy has still yet to allow an earned run this season. 25 IP, only 4 hits allowed and 2 bb's to go with 36 K's. He's on a really tight leash from the Orioles, with his typical start being 3-4 IP and maybe one baserunner allowed.

Gerrit Cole is pitching pretty well in A ball, 2.93 era and k per inning over 40 IP, but as the number one overall pick from a major college program, he should be more advanced than pitching well in A ball.

Ugh, I think 2011 draft is going to look really bad a few years from now. Don't think I'll ever understand the Cole over Bauer thing.

Last edited by Sivek: 05-19-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Starks needs to get healthy first. I definitely think the Steelers would rather have him than Scott. Just a matter of if he can get healthy soon enough. No reason to sign an injured player.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Sivek

Don Kelly is to Jim Leyland as Craig Adams is to Dan Bylsma.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Starks needs to get healthy first. I definitely think the Steelers would rather have him than Scott. Just a matter of if he can get healthy soon enough. No reason to sign an injured player.
Starks needs to just quit. He's a below-average LT, and even worse RT. If you can't beat out Colon for a position on the offensive line, you officially suck.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
It's stunning the Pirates have such a complete lack of any type of significant offensive player in their system. Gorkys Hernandez is struggling hard in AAA and is a 5th outfielder at best, Starling Marte has been poor with a .240/.310./408 line, Chase d'Arnaud might be the worst hitter in AAA at this point. At AA, Tony Sanchez is hitting really bad, Robbie Grossman is hitting .223/.337/.365 and no other player on the team projects as a regular. Looks to to be 2 years at best until any type of real bat is ready for the majors from the farm system. Unless Pirates make a trade, offense is going to continue to be extremely bad the next few years. Team needs to trade one of the starters for a bat and just plug in Lincoln and see what he can do.

In other news, everybody's favorite passed-up pitcher,Trevor Bauer, has already been promoted to AAA and dominated his first start there, 8 IP-4 H-1 BB-1 R-11 K's. He had a 1.68 era and 60 K's in 48 IP in AA. He's pretty much a lock to make his major league debut this season.

Dylan Bundy has still yet to allow an earned run this season. 25 IP, only 4 hits allowed and 2 bb's to go with 36 K's. He's on a really tight leash from the Orioles, with his typical start being 3-4 IP and maybe one baserunner allowed.

Gerrit Cole is pitching pretty well in A ball, 2.93 era and k per inning over 40 IP, but as the number one overall pick from a major college program, he should be more advanced than pitching well in A ball.

Ugh, I think 2011 draft is going to look really bad a few years from now. Don't think I'll ever understand the Cole over Bauer thing.
Cole is going to be a better pitcher than Bauer. Mark me down as saying that...I saw them both pitch before the draft and there was never a second where Bauer looked like the better prospect. Lower floor, yes, but his ceiling isn't nearly as high as Cole's top-flight ace material. Bauer was the most Major League ready pitcher in the draft...the fact he's dominating in the minors shouldn't surprise anyone...maybe the level that he's doing so is more impressive than imagined...but you draft guys for what they can do for you in the future, not who can put up the prettiest minor league numbers within a year. Cole's stuff blows Bauer's out of the window.

Gorkys was already a failing prospect when he was acquired, and the trade he was involved in showed that his value had already begun to run thin (a few months earlier he alone probably could have fetched McLouth...but instead it took a former 2nd round pitching prospect and Charlie Morton as well...it's still a win of a trade for the Pirates even if Gorkys doesn't turn out to be more than a defensive replacement, which most people already had him looking for since his bat hadn't materialized yet at the time of the trade and certainly hasn't since). Marte and Grossman are both adjusting to being bumped up a level...neither are playing nearly poorly enough to warrant any worry (in Grossman's case the ascention from A+ to AA as a hitter is the most difficult thing to do...the only way his numbers would have flawlessly carried over is if he was closer to the Majors than anyone thought...he still is, and always has been, a project player who's still 3 years away from being ready full-time).

d'Arnaud and Sanchez I agree with. d'Arnaud was never a great prospect, he just was the only guy at a high level at the position. He's not going to be a regular in the Majors and never projected to be much more than a back-up middle infielder who has the speed and arm to become a utilityman...even if his actual fielding sucks. Sanchez is getting to the point where I'm about ready to write him off. He hasn't recovered from getting beaned in the face at all. His bat would be less concerning if his defense was progressing, but it continues to only get worse. That's why you have to live at the draft with the moto 'safe is dead'...Sanchez was as safe a pick as you can get. At least he only went for slot value as the only real 'safe' pick of the Huntington drafts.

Bell, Rojas, and Hanson are worth mentioning as far as batting prospects are concerned...but they're all a long way from the Majors. I was writing up a prospect list before my computer died and Hanson was my prospect to watch this year...and he's definitely worthy of watching. His OPS in West Virginia right now is 1. 1 flat...he somehow has 6 home runs in 40 at bats...I never thought he'd get that in a season He's a pure gap hitter who hits for average with good speed...so he gets a ton of doubles (16 doubles, 5 triples, 6 home runs in 40 games thus far, to go along with 32 singles...the dude gets on base). His OPS will fall back to earth before long, but it may not be until he's in Bradenton. His only negative is his size. He doesn't have the build to be a short stop in the majors, so a move to second is inevitable.

As I've been saying for a long time...trade from a strength to fill a weakness. Trying to develop a complete 25 man roster from within just doesn't happen...we're getting close to the point where the stockpile of arms will allow us to move them for bats.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Honestly, minor league numbers mean nothing. We're not throwing these guys in A ball to see if they can fool minor league hitters. They might as well be pitching into a bucket. The fact they people are complaining about about our most recent draft choice not being in AAA yet is baffling.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:02 PM
End of Line
Human After All

What a UEFA league final!

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Closed Thread