HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
bambamcam4ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Why shouldn't he? Good football speed is a reasonable way of describing Sean Spence.

The kid can move. Part of it is because he's so instinctive that he rarely takes a false step, but he can close on anyone and he can get back in coverage. He's very fleet of foot, even if he doesn't run well in shorts. Who cares about that?
You could say he's athletic then, I just get tired of analysts repeating these phrases.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He's an interesting prospect...but I don't see him being more than a rotational player. We need to pick someone, though.

If the Steelers end this draft without a single NT drafted I'm going to be furious.

Yep.

Neither of the NTs we've talked about here would be ready to start on day one anyway. McLendon is a complete non-factor in the discussion to me. The Steelers clearly think much higher about him than anyone else does, but...**** me if they think he's Hampton's successor.
I find it hard to be furious with this draft if for no other reason than the first two rounds were perfect. I was hoping for a perfect first two days, but that's just too much to ask for.

If McLendon is Hampton's successor, then why is Colbert stocking the team with small, fast ILBs? Don't get me wrong, I like fast ILBs, but those guys won't be able to do anything with a guy like McLendon, who doesn't demand double teams, at the nose position. You really need to take a big guy like Ta'amu first to justify the Spence pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Apparently the NT's in this class suck more in our front office's eyes
McLendon only started one year at Troy. His production in that year was okay. He doesn't really have a nose tackle's body at all. These other guys are more talented, are actually shaped like nose tackles, and produced for multiple years at big schools. I'd bet on Thompson, Ta'amu and Chapman over Steve McLendon.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Nothing against Miller, but nose tackle is bigger need than running back. Miller probably will be taken in early 4th round.
I disagree there. We are going into the season with a backup RB as our starter and I think Miller would be a big upgrade on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Miller would have been a worthwhile pick where we drafted.

You got flack for saying we should trade up for him
And I still stand behind going after value. I realize that a lot of people don't place much value on RB but I felt that Miller was one of the top 3 or 4 guys available in this round and I would have been happy to use a late round pick to secure him.

The Ravens moved up to get a RB in Bernard Pierce, now watch him go on to kill us for the next 5-7 years

Old
04-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
You could say he's athletic then, I just get tired of analysts repeating these phrases.
Athletic doesn't quite cover it though. Athleticism could mean you have a great vertical or you're very quick or you open your hips cleanly or your footwork is on point or any number of other things. Way too broad of a term.

"Good football speed" might be an overused term, but it fits here. Spence is fast. He may not time fast, but he plays fast. He processes the game quickly, he reacts quickly, he starts quickly, he stops quickly and he can move.

Coby Fleener, for example, timed extremely well in the 40 but he doesn't play quite like that. I want someone who's fast in pads, not shorts.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I find it hard to be furious with this draft if for no other reason than the first two rounds were perfect. I was hoping for a perfect first two days, but that's just too much to ask for.

If McLendon is Hampton's successor, then why is Colbert stocking the team with small, fast ILBs? Don't get me wrong, I like fast ILBs, but those guys won't be able to do anything with a guy like McLendon, who doesn't demand double teams, at the nose position. You really need to take a big guy like Ta'amu first to justify the Spence pick.

McLendon only started one year at Troy. His production in that year was okay. He doesn't really have a nose tackle's body at all. These other guys are more talented, are actually shaped like nose tackles, and produced for multiple years at big schools. I'd bet on Thompson, Ta'amu and Chapman over Steve McLendon.
True McLendon isn't the right size, but I think Hood is getting close. Isn't he 300 lbs? And didn't we play him at NT some last season? Maybe that's the long term plan?

Old
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
I disagree there. We are going into the season with a backup RB as our starter and I think Miller would be a big upgrade on him.

And I still stand behind going after value. I realize that a lot of people don't place much value on RB but I felt that Miller was one of the top 3 or 4 guys available in this round and I would have been happy to use a late round pick to secure him.

The Ravens moved up to get a RB in Bernard Pierce, now watch him go on to kill us for the next 5-7 years
Hampton is 35 with a bad knee and we don't have a backup (McLendon doesn't count). Yes, our nose tackle is bigger need.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:13 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Hampton is 35 with a bad knee and we don't have a backup (McLendon doesn't count). Yes, our nose tackle is bigger need.
Hood is 6'3", 300 lbs and I see he's listed as a DT...

http://www.nfl.com/player/ziggyhood/2507780/profile

Old
04-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i can get behind an intelligent sideline-to-sideline athlete working into the Foote/Sylvester competition. i'd like to see him in nickle packages. task 1 is to acquire good players, task 2 is to get good value. if you do enough of the first, you can make up for deficiencies in the later.
Yeah, I can agree with that. I just see Timmons as the only real long-term solution in the middle unless Sylvester gets a chance and shows something. The fact that Spence is undersized and a better fit for Timmons spot concerns me that we may have only landed a backup player with this pick. Although some posters here have argued forever that Timmons would be good as a Buck LB too. Maybe that frees up a spot for Spence down the road. We'd be awfully small in the middle if that were to happen though.

Spence seems like the opposite of the workout warrior. He lacks ideal size and other measurables, but the kid can really play according to a lot of people.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The Steelers have had luck with UDFA running backs and we now may actually have an offensive line.

I hold little to no hope in Mendenhall ever fully recovering to his barely-above-average normalcy and Redman is a guy that isn't going to be capable of handling 25+ carries a game...I just see too many holes on this roster to waste a high pick on something that can be found later in the draft. Fixing the offensive line was a far bigger issue than fixing the running backs. You can put Trent Richardson behind that line without improving it and he's not going to put up pretty stats.

The more research I do on Spence the more I like the pick. I'm still unhappy with it because of who I feel we needed too pick there, but it's a good pick and it was a position that needed to be filled at some point of the draft.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I like what I'm hearing about this kid if nothing else.

Miami linebackers coach Micheal Barrow said. “Not only is he Peyton Manning-smart, but he also has the instincts to match."

Old
04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
True McLendon isn't the right size, but I think Hood is getting close. Isn't he 300 lbs? And didn't we play him at NT some last season? Maybe that's the long term plan?
Of course moving Hood to NT would create another gaping hole...who replaces Hood?

Hood is definitely an option to be a NT...I don't know how much I love that option, but it is one. At this point I'm starting to think that this is the team's plan...but that doesn't solve the whole we'd need to replace Hood problem that arises. We only have three defensive ends that have any business being near a NFL roster right now, and Keisel isn't going to last forever (though he is a "young" 33).

As for Spence potentially only being a back-up...the Steelers rotate the linebackers enough and have such a huge reliance on the position that I'm actually okay with that. I love having starting caliber back-ups there. I think the world of Worilds (I hate his name, though) and he really has no hope of starting until Harrison retires/when Harrison is suspended...and he was a 2nd rounder. That's not ideal draft value, but Worilds gives us so much flexibility and depth that we can win games even when our top two outside linebackers are out, like that brief window last year.

The importance of back-ups is growing larger every year in the NFL...which makes the fact that we have ****ing nothing as far as depth is concerned on that defensive line all the more infuriating.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I can agree with that. I just see Timmons as the only real long-term solution in the middle unless Sylvester gets a chance and shows something. The fact that Spence is undersized and a better fit for Timmons spot concerns me that we may have only landed a backup player with this pick. Although some posters here have argued forever that Timmons would be good as a Buck LB too. Maybe that frees up a spot for Spence down the road. We'd be awfully small in the middle if that were to happen though.

Spence seems like the opposite of the workout warrior. He lacks ideal size and other measurables, but the kid can really play according to a lot of people.
Maybe Timmons will replace Harrison in 2 years?

Old
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
SteelFish87*

Hood can't play NT. He gets pushed around enough at DE

Old
04-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Maybe Timmons will replace Harrison in 2 years?
I suppose anything is possible. I hate him as an OLB though. LB coach Keith Butler said in the presser about Spence that he hopes to keep Timmons at ILB this season. He also didn't rule out Worild's getting a shot inside, but said they need him more at OLB. Worilds would bring some size to the ILB position if he could play there. I have my doubts though.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:41 PM
sniugneP

Yeah, there is a lot of flexibility in LB unit. We'll see what happens.

Old
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, there is a lot of flexibility in LB unit. We'll see what happens.
we got cooks, ingredients and a hell of a kitchen - i'm excited to see what they come up with.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
AgentM

This kid lives behind the line of scrimmage! Between his speed, instincts, and tackling he racked up 47 tackles for loss in his career!

Old
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
This kid lives behind the line of scrimmage! Between his speed, instincts, and tackling he racked up 47 tackles for loss in his career!

He's definitely a tackling machine. He looks small but plays big. Hope he can handle in NFL.

Old
04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Boocock

I trust Kevin Colbert more than any other GM in sports. But, couldn't we have picked Spence up later in the draft? Who am I kidding? I hate this pick. That means it will work.

Plus, maybe the front office isn't that high on Ta'amu.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

From that highlight package it looks like if you add 2 inches and 10lbs to Spence then he's Luke Kuechly.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I know its a highlight film, but you can't teach those reads. He picks up the ball carrier and play extremely fast.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Dan E Dangerously

I've had the privilege to see Spence start all 4 years at Miami. He's a stud, plain and simple. He's a Will in a 4-3 bodywise. As a senior he played some Mike situationally in a new multiple-front scheme. So I'm not sure where he fits in with Steelers scheme.

Easily the best Miami LB to come out since Jon Beason. Pre-draft, the only difference in size between the 2 was 1 inch and 6 pounds.

Last edited by Dan E Dangerously: 04-28-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old
04-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan E Dangerously View Post
I've had the privilege to see Spence start all 4 years at Miami. He's a stud, plain and simple. He's a Will in a 4-3 bodywise. As a senior he played some Mike situationally in a new multiple-front scheme. So I'm not sure where he fits in with Steelers scheme.

Easily the best Miami LB to come out since Jon Beason. Pre-draft, the only difference in size between the 2 was 1 inch and 6 pounds.
Yeah, I think that's my only concern is where he fits in a 3-4. He's awfully small for a 3-4 ILB. He's only 21 though so he can probably pack on a few pounds. At his current size he almost looks like a safety out there. The way he shoots through those gaps and blows up plays reminds me so much of Polomalu.

Old
04-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I thought this was interesting. Keith Butler talking about Spence in our defense.

Quote:
I wouldn’t call him a buck, no. The buck linebacker has to be a little bit bigger and take on the guards more. We cover our linebackers up pretty good. What I mean by that is, we let them scrape and run to football a little bit more instead of coming downhill and taking on isos. The day of the iso with the middle linebacker is almost gone. Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is mis-direction and trying to fool you or out-number you one way and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the ability to read from the linebackers now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to do it on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but we’re taking on Ray Rice, we’re not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.
http://www.steelers.com/news/article...a-628a14055117

Old
04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

ahhh yes. back to football talk in this thread.

IMO spence reprsents the new nfl where passsing offense is at a premium. dont want bigger slower guys running around trying to catch the 4/5 WR sets we see constantly or get caught up in losing ray ray like guys out of the backfield

Closed Thread