HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  #201
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 30,672
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Insane value for us in this draft, and all picks also fill needs. Highly impressive draft for Colbert and Co.
I haven't watched just for the mere fact that i'm beyond shocked how good he is drafting.

ColePens is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  #202
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
I also find that little excerpt from the beginning of this thread about Adams contacting the Steelers interesting. I guess he really wanted to be here, and hopefully that keeps him in line.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
  #203
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
No Hope
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Finland
Posts: 51,909
vCash: 422
I am a happy man.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now  
Old
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
  #204
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
This draft has reignited my interest in football again. It has been that good.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
  #205
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 30,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I also find that little excerpt from the beginning of this thread about Adams contacting the Steelers interesting. I guess he really wanted to be here, and hopefully that keeps him in line.
I would also bet dollars to doughnuts that he agreed to a morals clause in his contract if they drafted him. That would be what I would do if I were him to make sure they knew I was serious. The fact that he did this just for us also impresses me. Obviously the kid saw his proverbial life flash before his eyes and everything he worked his entire life for was going up in a puff of smoke, if you will excuse the cheesy referrence. I am pretty confident in this pick. No one has more conviction than a reformed so called sinner. Yeah, I know only minor stuff, but overall it turned teams off to his attitude. He found God so to speak in my opinion, and obviously the Steeler's, and the Steelers will be the beneficiaries.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
  #206
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
You're going to only find guys with warts at this stage in the game. The guy can play football, and he has good bloodlines.
True, but I'm wondering just how bad of an injury it was if its pushing him way down. Guess we'll know by the end of the day.

I was just reading that UW running back Chris Polk has a degenerative arthritis in his knees and half of the teams have taken him off of their boards because of that. Poor kid!

AgentM is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:01 PM
  #207
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Colts selected Josh Chapman in the 5th round, they are having a decent draft as well, I mean you have to if you have very early picks.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:02 PM
  #208
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
Mike Adams just wreaks of a guy who has always been the **** of the walk. He was a star in high school, the 11th ranked prospect nationally when he graduated, was a boss at Ohio State, and started earning 1st round draft prospectus since late in his sophomore year of college. He has always been above the law because he has been able to offer everyone something that is rare, and that is his skillset. This happens year in and year out. The guy just has an inflated ego, because he has been able to have one since he was probably 14 years old.

I do fear now taking guys with issues because we no longer have that "strong locker room." The strength in that locker room is now significantly weaker.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
  #209
Brandinho
Registered User
 
Brandinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: República de Cuba
Country: Cuba
Posts: 10,271
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I also find that little excerpt from the beginning of this thread about Adams contacting the Steelers interesting. I guess he really wanted to be here, and hopefully that keeps him in line.
Aside from the fact that the city of Pittsburgh isn't a terribly appealing place for many people, who wouldn't want to play for the Steelers? Top organization, great at player development and a perennial winner.

As for Adams himself, I'm worried about his motor on the field, not what he does off of it. He can smoke all the pot he wants if he gives 100% on the field.

Brandinho is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
  #210
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 30,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Mike Adams just wreaks of a guy who has always been the **** of the walk. He was a star in high school, the 11th ranked prospect nationally when he graduated, was a boss at Ohio State, and started earning 1st round draft prospectus since late in his sophomore year of college. He has always been above the law because he has been able to offer everyone something that is rare, and that is his skillset. This happens year in and year out. The guy just has an inflated ego, because he has been able to have one since he was probably 14 years old.

I do fear now taking guys with issues because we no longer have that "strong locker room." The strength in that locker room is now significantly weaker.
It is ONE guy, who drove to the Steelers, hat in hand, and begged for an interview even though he was told he was off the board because of all the things you refer to. He issued a mea culpa personally, begging for a chance, and offering God knows what assurances. I do not know, but would guess a very strong moral's clause that would cost him significant sums if violated to start.

I am not sure this one example is making the Steelers the east coast version of the Raiders.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:12 PM
  #211
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Pouncey is a leader of this line. I would think he will motivate Adams if need to, just like he did Gilbert last year.

He won't have to worry about DeCastro, that's for sure.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
  #212
Brandinho
Registered User
 
Brandinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: República de Cuba
Country: Cuba
Posts: 10,271
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Pouncey is a leader of this line. I would think he will motivate Adams if need to, just like he did Gilbert last year.

He won't have to worry about DeCastro, that's for sure.
Not only do we not have to worry about DeCastro, but I have a feeling he'll become a leader himself within a few seasons.

Brandinho is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:24 PM
  #213
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It is ONE guy, who drove to the Steelers, hat in hand, and begged for an interview even though he was told he was off the board because of all the things you refer to. He issued a mea culpa personally, begging for a chance, and offering God knows what assurances. I do not know, but would guess a very strong moral's clause that would cost him significant sums if violated to start.

I am not sure this one example is making the Steelers the east coast version of the Raiders.
It's not just right now...it's years down the road. And I don't care what a guy says. I really don't. Talk is cheap, and I would beg for my life too if it would ensure I make a couple million bucks more. We won't know if Adams has turned a corner in terms of maturity until a few years down the line.

I definitely peg him as guilty until proven innocent. Until he proves he's mature and can bring his work ethic game in and game out, practice in and practice out...he's a lazy, unaccountable, immature football player, IMO. If I were the Rooney's I'd give him just enough leash to choke himself.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
  #214
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
It's not just right now...it's years down the road. And I don't care what a guy says. I really don't. Talk is cheap, and I would beg for my life too if it would ensure I make a couple million bucks more. We won't know if Adams has turned a corner in terms of maturity until a few years down the line.

I definitely peg him as guilty until proven innocent. Until he proves he's mature and can bring his work ethic game in and game out, practice in and practice out...he's a lazy, unaccountable, immature football player, IMO. If I were the Rooney's I'd give him just enough leash to choke himself.
So is he really lazy? I thought he just smokes pot and sold merch?

I didn't know he had work ethic issues.

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
  #215
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
So is he really lazy? I thought he just smokes pot and sold merch?

I didn't know he had work ethic issues.
Absolutely work ethic has been a knock on him.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
  #216
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Absolutely work ethic has been a knock on him.
Well we'll see how far "talent" takes him if he stays lazy.

Our o line situation is so bad though so he's probably still #2-3 tackle right now.....that's with colon ahead of him Haha.

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  #217
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 30,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
It's not just right now...it's years down the road. And I don't care what a guy says. I really don't. Talk is cheap, and I would beg for my life too if it would ensure I make a couple million bucks more. We won't know if Adams has turned a corner in terms of maturity until a few years down the line.

I definitely peg him as guilty until proven innocent. Until he proves he's mature and can bring his work ethic game in and game out, practice in and practice out...he's a lazy, unaccountable, immature football player, IMO. If I were the Rooney's I'd give him just enough leash to choke himself.
Like I said we do not know what assurances were made. I certainly would be shocked if there were not an extremely strong moral's clause, that if violated he gives up a lot. The Steelers have not been immune from character issues, but most of the time they jettison the guys if they get out of line. A small number of exceptions, Rothlisberger being the obvious one and for obvious reasons. But I do not sense a philosophy shift in this pick.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
  #218
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
I'm really not sure what kind of things can be put in a contract, Jaded. The only thing that would do for me though is, "If you slip up...you're done." That's what my "morals clause" would be for anyone who is dumb enough to go to the combine with weed in his system.

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  #219
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
I just hope Adams won't be another Jamain Stephens.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  #220
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
i dont think the Steelers like Alameda Ta'amu
Troolololololled

Dylonus is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
  #221
Fogel
Analytics please
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Troolololololled
Not sure that is exactly a troll. If they really liked him, they would have taken in the 2nd or 3rd like many on the board pegged him rather than jumping off bridges at "another LB". Middle 4th doesn't exactly scream like considering NT was also a need. Spence screams like to me.

Fogel is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:53 PM
  #222
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
Not sure that is exactly a troll. If they really liked him, they would have taken in the 2nd or 3rd like many on the board pegged him rather than jumping off bridges at "another LB". Middle 4th doesn't exactly scream like considering NT was also a need. Spence screams like to me.
They did trade up for him though...

JTG is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
  #223
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,131
vCash: 50
plenty of talent available for this 5th rounder.

Donnie Fletcher the corner out of Boston College
Winston Guy the safety out of Kentucky
Tank Carder from TCU

Crafton is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
  #224
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Steelers' 5th pick coming up soon.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
  #225
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
I'm guessing a defensive back.

sniugneP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.