HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pittsburgh Has Bridges

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Insane value for us in this draft, and all picks also fill needs. Highly impressive draft for Colbert and Co.
I haven't watched just for the mere fact that i'm beyond shocked how good he is drafting.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
JTG

I also find that little excerpt from the beginning of this thread about Adams contacting the Steelers interesting. I guess he really wanted to be here, and hopefully that keeps him in line.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
I am a happy man.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
JTG

This draft has reignited my interest in football again. It has been that good.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I also find that little excerpt from the beginning of this thread about Adams contacting the Steelers interesting. I guess he really wanted to be here, and hopefully that keeps him in line.
I would also bet dollars to doughnuts that he agreed to a morals clause in his contract if they drafted him. That would be what I would do if I were him to make sure they knew I was serious. The fact that he did this just for us also impresses me. Obviously the kid saw his proverbial life flash before his eyes and everything he worked his entire life for was going up in a puff of smoke, if you will excuse the cheesy referrence. I am pretty confident in this pick. No one has more conviction than a reformed so called sinner. Yeah, I know only minor stuff, but overall it turned teams off to his attitude. He found God so to speak in my opinion, and obviously the Steeler's, and the Steelers will be the beneficiaries.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
AgentM

Quote:
You're going to only find guys with warts at this stage in the game. The guy can play football, and he has good bloodlines.
True, but I'm wondering just how bad of an injury it was if its pushing him way down. Guess we'll know by the end of the day.

I was just reading that UW running back Chris Polk has a degenerative arthritis in his knees and half of the teams have taken him off of their boards because of that. Poor kid!

Old
04-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Flat Stanley

Colts selected Josh Chapman in the 5th round, they are having a decent draft as well, I mean you have to if you have very early picks.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:02 PM
JTG

Mike Adams just wreaks of a guy who has always been the **** of the walk. He was a star in high school, the 11th ranked prospect nationally when he graduated, was a boss at Ohio State, and started earning 1st round draft prospectus since late in his sophomore year of college. He has always been above the law because he has been able to offer everyone something that is rare, and that is his skillset. This happens year in and year out. The guy just has an inflated ego, because he has been able to have one since he was probably 14 years old.

I do fear now taking guys with issues because we no longer have that "strong locker room." The strength in that locker room is now significantly weaker.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Aside from the fact that the city of Pittsburgh isn't a terribly appealing place for many people, who wouldn't want to play for the Steelers? Top organization, great at player development and a perennial winner.

As for Adams himself, I'm worried about his motor on the field, not what he does off of it. He can smoke all the pot he wants if he gives 100% on the field.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Mike Adams just wreaks of a guy who has always been the **** of the walk. He was a star in high school, the 11th ranked prospect nationally when he graduated, was a boss at Ohio State, and started earning 1st round draft prospectus since late in his sophomore year of college. He has always been above the law because he has been able to offer everyone something that is rare, and that is his skillset. This happens year in and year out. The guy just has an inflated ego, because he has been able to have one since he was probably 14 years old.

I do fear now taking guys with issues because we no longer have that "strong locker room." The strength in that locker room is now significantly weaker.
It is ONE guy, who drove to the Steelers, hat in hand, and begged for an interview even though he was told he was off the board because of all the things you refer to. He issued a mea culpa personally, begging for a chance, and offering God knows what assurances. I do not know, but would guess a very strong moral's clause that would cost him significant sums if violated to start.

I am not sure this one example is making the Steelers the east coast version of the Raiders.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:12 PM
sniugneP

Pouncey is a leader of this line. I would think he will motivate Adams if need to, just like he did Gilbert last year.

He won't have to worry about DeCastro, that's for sure.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Pouncey is a leader of this line. I would think he will motivate Adams if need to, just like he did Gilbert last year.

He won't have to worry about DeCastro, that's for sure.
Not only do we not have to worry about DeCastro, but I have a feeling he'll become a leader himself within a few seasons.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:24 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It is ONE guy, who drove to the Steelers, hat in hand, and begged for an interview even though he was told he was off the board because of all the things you refer to. He issued a mea culpa personally, begging for a chance, and offering God knows what assurances. I do not know, but would guess a very strong moral's clause that would cost him significant sums if violated to start.

I am not sure this one example is making the Steelers the east coast version of the Raiders.
It's not just right now...it's years down the road. And I don't care what a guy says. I really don't. Talk is cheap, and I would beg for my life too if it would ensure I make a couple million bucks more. We won't know if Adams has turned a corner in terms of maturity until a few years down the line.

I definitely peg him as guilty until proven innocent. Until he proves he's mature and can bring his work ethic game in and game out, practice in and practice out...he's a lazy, unaccountable, immature football player, IMO. If I were the Rooney's I'd give him just enough leash to choke himself.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
It's not just right now...it's years down the road. And I don't care what a guy says. I really don't. Talk is cheap, and I would beg for my life too if it would ensure I make a couple million bucks more. We won't know if Adams has turned a corner in terms of maturity until a few years down the line.

I definitely peg him as guilty until proven innocent. Until he proves he's mature and can bring his work ethic game in and game out, practice in and practice out...he's a lazy, unaccountable, immature football player, IMO. If I were the Rooney's I'd give him just enough leash to choke himself.
So is he really lazy? I thought he just smokes pot and sold merch?

I didn't know he had work ethic issues.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
So is he really lazy? I thought he just smokes pot and sold merch?

I didn't know he had work ethic issues.
Absolutely work ethic has been a knock on him.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Absolutely work ethic has been a knock on him.
Well we'll see how far "talent" takes him if he stays lazy.

Our o line situation is so bad though so he's probably still #2-3 tackle right now.....that's with colon ahead of him Haha.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Like I said we do not know what assurances were made. I certainly would be shocked if there were not an extremely strong moral's clause, that if violated he gives up a lot. The Steelers have not been immune from character issues, but most of the time they jettison the guys if they get out of line. A small number of exceptions, Rothlisberger being the obvious one and for obvious reasons. But I do not sense a philosophy shift in this pick.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:42 PM
JTG

I'm really not sure what kind of things can be put in a contract, Jaded. The only thing that would do for me though is, "If you slip up...you're done." That's what my "morals clause" would be for anyone who is dumb enough to go to the combine with weed in his system.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
sniugneP

I just hope Adams won't be another Jamain Stephens.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
i dont think the Steelers like Alameda Ta'amu
Troolololololled

Old
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Troolololololled
Not sure that is exactly a troll. If they really liked him, they would have taken in the 2nd or 3rd like many on the board pegged him rather than jumping off bridges at "another LB". Middle 4th doesn't exactly scream like considering NT was also a need. Spence screams like to me.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:53 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
Not sure that is exactly a troll. If they really liked him, they would have taken in the 2nd or 3rd like many on the board pegged him rather than jumping off bridges at "another LB". Middle 4th doesn't exactly scream like considering NT was also a need. Spence screams like to me.
They did trade up for him though...

Old
04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
plenty of talent available for this 5th rounder.

Donnie Fletcher the corner out of Boston College
Winston Guy the safety out of Kentucky
Tank Carder from TCU

Old
04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
sniugneP

Steelers' 5th pick coming up soon.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:57 PM
sniugneP