HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Is Nazem Kadri's Upside?

Old
04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

vCash: 500
Still very high, even topping out at a PPG player in his best season, but he needs to get stronger and/or develop the leg power to be quicker from a stop.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:46 AM
The Nic

Something tells me that it's about more than points with Kadri. I attended the first playoff game against Rochester and he was making a serious pain-in-the-ass of himself all night long. By the 3rd period, there were a handful of Amerks who were trying to kill him.

I believe that Carlyle will make every attempt to transform the Leafs into a tough, aggressive team that is really miserable to play against. Nazem Kadri could contribute a lot towards achieving that goal (in addition to significant offensive numbers) IMO. In fact, we may already have almost all of the players necessary for completing this transition very quickly (Kadri, Fraser, Holtzer, D'amigo, Mueller, Frattin, Ashton) based on my observations at the Ricoh.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Interactif

Under Carlyle, expect less goals and more defence. 50 pts would be a great season by a fwd under Randy, a lot different than say 50 pts under Wilson where there was little defensive accountabilty.

Something to note.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:51 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nic View Post
Something tells me that it's about more than points with Kadri. I attended the first playoff game against Rochester and he was making a serious pain-in-the-ass of himself all night long. By the 3rd period, there were a handful of Amerks who were trying to kill him.

I believe that Carlyle will make every attempt to transform the Leafs into a tough, aggressive team that is really miserable to play against. Nazem Kadri could contribute a lot towards achieving that goal (in addition to significant offensive numbers) IMO. In fact, we may already have almost all of the players necessary for completing this transition very quickly (Kadri, Fraser, Holtzer, D'amigo, Mueller, Frattin, Ashton) based on my observations at the Ricoh.
No its not about points, sure he isn't putting up a PPG, but for the people that actually watch him they can see how many chances he creates, and if he gets linemates that can bury those chances, then he'll put up the points. He definitely has tonnes of talent.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I was thinking 45-50 points next year as well on Grabo's wing, maybe even more depending on how Grabo does and who the other linemate is.

I know Naz has the skill to be a top line center, I just want to see him get some more strength so hes not knocked off the puck so easy, and more of a commitment to defense. I've seen him commit to d, if he can just do it every game, even when hes not playing the best offensively, he could be that top line center were looking for.
Those two seemed to click quite a bit it seemed from the few games we saw them together.

Agreed, I really hope he gets it all together.

04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Those two seemed to click quite a bit it seemed from the few games we saw them together.

Agreed, I really hope he gets it all together.
Yea I know, imagine if this team had stable goaltending, two lines that could both consistently produce, and Gunnar-Phaneuf, Gard-Schenn all playing like top four dman, we could actually be a decent hockey team.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Interactif

Quote:
No its not about points, sure he isn't putting up a PPG, but for the people that actually watch him they can see how many chances he creates, and if he gets linemates that can bury those chances, then he'll put up the points. He definitely has tonnes of talent.
Kadri sees the ice well, is a gifted playmaker, where people unfairly call turnovers(he would have fit in well on a Wilson team) are creative passes. They involve risk, he just needs to know when to take chances.

I would play him with Kule, since Kule is the defensive conscience of any line and Mac. With Naz's natural hockey sense, think it would boost this line. Which sort of stagnented last year after a good year prior.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Kadri sees the ice well, is a gifted playmaker, where people unfairly call turnovers(he would have fit in well on a Wilson team) are creative passes. They involve risk, he just needs to know when to take chances.

I would play him with Kule, since Kule is the defensive conscience of any line and Mac. With Naz's natural hockey sense, think it would boost this line. Which sort of stagnented last year after a good year prior.
A line of Kadri Bozak Kulemin would be good I think. Kadri and Bozak have had good chemistry together and Kule will be the workhorse.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Damn i remember how annoying it was to see Lambo and Crabb miss those awesome passes by him.
Quote:
Yea I know, imagine if this team had stable goaltending, two lines that could both consistently produce, and Gunnar-Phaneuf, Gard-Schenn all playing like top four dman, we could actually be a decent hockey team.
I know man. Even before getting that coveted first line center if we get that goalie...we can be good.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:13 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Damn i remember how annoying it was to see Lambo and Crabb miss those awesome passes by him.

I know man. Even before getting that coveted first line center if we get that goalie...we can be good.
Yep getting what I said, and then adding a first line center into the mix, we could become a pretty good team. Hopefully all goes are way this summer at the draft, and we end up with one.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBuzzo View Post
A line of Kadri Bozak Kulemin would be good I think. Kadri and Bozak have had good chemistry together and Kule will be the workhorse.
That's not a bad idea, if we could find someone to play with Kess and Lupul since Bozie is the only center on the team currently that can play with those 2 guys.

To get the best out of Kadri, he has to get top 6 mins. He may earn a look with how he plays in the AHL playoffs. He's 22 in Oct, his frame should have filled out, needs some Roberts gym work. This is the year for him to be a full time NHL'er.

Have confidence Naz has too much talent not to become a top 6 fwd next year. A new lease with a new coach, I have a feeling he will become a player that Leafs fans will include in the untouchable dept after the 12-13 season.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
jughead42

Quote:

So when Kadri tries to deke his way through the entire defence on some solo rush and coughs up the puck that's just a creative pass? Wow, I'm looking at this the wrong way completely. I guess when he disappears for long stretches that's just him using his superior hockey IQ to to lull the defence to sleep. When he falls on the ice every time a stiff breeze hits him, that's actually because his skating ability and balance is too good for the low quality ice used in NHL multi use facilities. When he doesn't score points its because the coach hates him, his linemates suck and he's being played in the wrong position. This kid has more excuses than a naked man in an ice cream truck.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Just got to check out the hfboards new top 50 spring rankings. Kadri's at 38, I personally would have him top 10. However I did agree with the profile.

Quote:
38. Nazem Kadri, C, Toronto Maple Leafs
Height: 6-0 Weight: 188, Fall ranking - 21

Nazem Kadri has excellent creativity, good hands and the natural offensive flair to make spectacular plays but still hasn't fully learned that simple is sometimes the better route. The versatile player can play all three forward positions, skates extremely well and can be a scorer as well as a playmaker. The 21-year-old suffered a knee injury early in the 2011-12 season, preventing Kadri from living up to the organization's expectations for him this season. Kadri needs to gain more muscle mass to both absorb the physical pounding at the NHL level and play stronger on the puck. He must bring a more consistent effort every shift and learn to limit the high risk plays while improving the defensive side of his game to play in the NHL for the Leafs next season.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Just got to check out the hfboards new top 50 spring rankings. Kadri's at 38, I personally would have him top 10. However I did agree with the profile.
Yep I disagreed with where he was positioned as well. He should at least be at 20 behind Kreider.

Also wondered what is the cut off of games played for prospects? Because they have Schenn in there, who has now played 69 games, and they don't have Gardiner, who would definitely be in the top 20 as well.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
So when Kadri tries to deke his way through the entire defence on some solo rush and coughs up the puck that's just a creative pass? Wow, I'm looking at this the wrong way completely. I guess when he disappears for long stretches that's just him using his superior hockey IQ to to lull the defence to sleep. When he falls on the ice every time a stiff breeze hits him, that's actually because his skating ability and balance is too good for the low quality ice used in NHL multi use facilities. When he doesn't score points its because the coach hates him, his linemates suck and he's being played in the wrong position. This kid has more excuses than a naked man in an ice cream truck.
When he was sent down the second time, he turned the corner under Eakins, he was far more responsible. I don't like those single man rushes, but we see Kessel and Grabo try the same thing under Wilson and they don't have the excuse of being young to fall back on do they? But Naz is somehow always singled out, peculiar?

I'm not sure if your post is mocking his on ice vision or not, but the kid makes plays, at times he is too creative which may lead to intercepted passes. But if Sather tried to muzzle Gretzky when he was young to not make creative passes, I doubt he would have had the scoring records he has today. You take the bad with the good with these type of players. Rather than constantly focusing on the negative.

In the end kadri has done his time in the minors, was jerked around by Mgt, if you watch him now, he has come a long way in rounding off his game. Time we realize this is a player that is not the same rookie that made those mistakes and move on.

But I know, some fans will just never like him, and hold him to the label when he was 19-20.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Kulemin-Savard-Frattin

But instead of giving up on him Leafs reap the reward.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
When he was sent down the second time, he turned the corner under Eakins, he was far more responsible. I don't like those single man rushes, but we see Kessel and Grabo try the same thing under Wilson and they don't have the excuse of being young to fall back on do they? But Naz is somehow always singled out, peculiar?

I'm not sure if your post is mocking his on ice vision or not, but the kid makes plays, at times he is too creative which may lead to intercepted passes. But if Sather tried to muzzle Gretzky when he was young to not make creative passes, I doubt he would have had the scoring records he has today. You take the bad with the good with these type of players. Rather than constantly focusing on the negative.

In the end kadri has done his time in the minors, was jerked around by Mgt, if you watch him now, he has come a long way in rounding off his game. Time we realize this is a player that is not the same rookie that made those mistakes and move on.

But I know, some fans will just never like him, and hold him to the label when he was 19-20.
i think kadri is gonna be fine ....i just hope we see the benefits and not some other team...hed have been as good as conolly or lombardi last year .......

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kulemin-Savard-Frattin

But instead of giving up on him Leafs reap the reward.
Are you saying Savard = Kadri, or that we should try and get Savard?

Old
04-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
like the description but the rankings are super messed up in my mind.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think he was jerked around by management, I think he jerked himself around by not understanding how tough the NHL is. Projecting that, 'I know better than the team and I should be in the NHL not developing in the AHL' just rubs the wrong way. Either the Leafs don't think he was ready or they didn't think he understood.

Fact: Team put him in the AHL.
Opinion: He should have been in the NHL.

Kind of hard to dispute one, but not the other.

There were some suggesting he was too good for the AHL. Based on results does anyone believe that now?

Spezza was too good for the AHL, Kadri not so much.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:01 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you saying Savard = Kadri, or that we should try and get Savard?
Savard was shipped out of Calgary and much of it had to do with the coach's opinion and his attitude was questioned. He seemed to make things happen, but they just never had patience with him.

I think Kadri should be in open ice, as a center, and let the tree trunks play the wall.

Yes, Kadri should be a playmaking center like Savard.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:14 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Savard was shipped out of Calgary and much of it had to do with the coach's opinion and his attitude was questioned. He seemed to make things happen, but they just never had patience with him.

I think Kadri should be in open ice, as a center, and let the tree trunks play the wall.

I thought so, I was gonna say Kadri would be a Savard with the ability to dish out a great hit once in a while. But wasn't sure aha.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

didn't get the guts to say it because of the boards, but bravo, a very good comparison indeed

Old
04-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I don't think he was jerked around by management, I think he jerked himself around by not understanding how tough the NHL is. Projecting that, 'I know better than the team and I should be in the NHL not developing in the AHL' just rubs the wrong way. Either the Leafs don't think he was ready or they didn't think he understood.

Fact: Team put him in the AHL.
Opinion: He should have been in the NHL.

Kind of hard to dispute one, but not the other.

There were some suggesting he was too good for the AHL. Based on results does anyone believe that now?

Spezza was too good for the AHL, Kadri not so much.
Based on results he is not too good for the Ahl, I don't know if I buy the some players play better in the NHL with better players than AHL with inferior players. Bozak to a small degree did.

Perhaps both are at fault Ulf? His rookie year he should have made the team, but was sent back. 2nd year he took a step backward, retrospectely it's easy to say now, but they should have just left him in the AHL to develop instead of calling him up to save Burke's bacon when the team struggled.

He was started and restarted too often for my liking, who knows where he would be today had he made the team as a 18 going on 19 year older. Or he had a full year last year in the AHL.

One thing we do know, Eakins has done a good job with him. Now is the time to see if he has played his last game in the AHL this spring. No more excuses, Wilson is gone, he has filled out, he has the AHL experience. It's up to naz to deliver. Knowing Naz's confidence in himself, he will this year.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:18 AM
questhockey

I see Kadri as more of a
Ribeiro/Lapierre combo, skilled but a pest.
I see him as a max 60 point man under Carlyle.
Leafs just need to make some trades to get this guy into lineup fulltime.
Then and only then will we all find out if he is fact or fiction.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote