HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

All Purpose Spezza Discussion

Old
05-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Dionysus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Backes the winner is gone, Nashville looks like they sure could use a number one center right about now.

As I predicted earlier, LAKs will represent the West this year, the only team of the four western finalist with a #1 center.

I really believe too many posters underrate the value of a talented center, specially a big bodied one like Spezza.
Unfortunately Spezza uses his body rather poorly for shielding the puck and buying time to make plays with his great passing, relying too much on his reach.

Obviously a number one centre is great, but is not the only recipe for success. Of the teams left Nashville, Phoenix, and New Jersey all lack clear-cut number 1 centres.

Watching Backstrom the other night though, man is he good. Fantastic puck protection and vision. Him, Kopitar, and both Richards, are all leading their teams from the centre position.

It is up to management to identify how they want to build the team going forward. Now that the coaching system is in place, they can bring in and develop players to augment how the sens want to play.
How Spezza fits in I am not exactly sure. Can he be the centrepiece of the forward core for the next 5+ years? Will his back hold up? Will the sens be able to be successful playing as wide open as they did this year? Time will tell. Either way this could be a crucial summer in the long-term identity of the team.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
benjiv1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Unfortunately Spezza uses his body rather poorly for shielding the puck and buying time to make plays with his great passing, relying too much on his reach.

Obviously a number one centre is great, but is not the only recipe for success. Of the teams left Nashville, Phoenix, and New Jersey all lack clear-cut number 1 centres.

Watching Backstrom the other night though, man is he good. Fantastic puck protection and vision. Him, Kopitar, and both Richards, are all leading their teams from the centre position.

It is up to management to identify how they want to build the team going forward. Now that the coaching system is in place, they can bring in and develop players to augment how the sens want to play.
How Spezza fits in I am not exactly sure. Can he be the centrepiece of the forward core for the next 5+ years? Will his back hold up? Will the sens be able to be successful playing as wide open as they did this year? Time will tell. Either way this could be a crucial summer in the long-term identity of the team.
With the addition of Turris, and the potential transformation to a winger of Zibanejad, I wouldn't mind Ottawa picking a really good two-way centre with size in the draft. Grigensons might fill the role nicely and could end it up in a similar situation as Courturier in Philly.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
sens2k9

I think he should just practice/train with a shorter stick, try and break the habit of reaching/leaning which seems to make him stop skating, which makes him look terrible when he's caught flat-footed, which makes idiots think he needs to be traded, and so on..

so in conclusion:

1) buy shorter sticks
2) ????
3) profit!

sens2k9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:54 AM
ShotDownCrosby

On sorta the train of thought from above, I really cannot wait for next year and see these players with a full summer of training with MacLean and after learning the system for a season.

I'd rather wait than trade Spezza for something lesser. Spezza has weaknesses, but he's still a great player!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Do you realize Getzlaf is a Cup and Olympic winner? He's proven himself at the international and NHL level. He BEAT Spezza in that finals remember? If Spezza had been the one winning the Cup no one would be *****ing on him.

Canada is likely in the medal round anyway so no worries. Getzlaf will round into form, not that he needs to prove anything since he's a winner already.

Made Perry into a 50-goal scorer
Won Stanley Cup
Won Olympic gold
Won World Junior Gold (Triple crown club)
Over a point per game in Senior international play: 16 6 15 21 up to 2010.

Getzlaf doesn't need to show anything, he's got REP and when Spezza has REP he'll be the one earning everyone's praise.
yeah you losers, Getzlaf doesnt need to show anything anymore because his team won. now he can coast.
i also love how even though spezza's team made it to the finals(where he tied for tops in the playoff scoring race), he played on the WJC team, taxi squad for Canada finished 4th in NHL scoring this year, and is in the top 5 for PPG in the playoffs.
oh yeah and he also turned Dany **cking Heatley into a 50 goal scorer.
but somehow spezza is a complete loser according to know nothings like 9MM and SFD.

All or nothing eh guys? 100% winner or 100% loser.
what a farce.

Last edited by Wondercarrot: 05-07-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:37 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Jason Spezza doesn't get drunk at bars late at night while representing our country like Ryan Getzlaf.

Edge: Spezza.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
wjhl2009fan

SensFanDan
Winning the cup or not fans still bash players.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
is this thread done yet?

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
With the addition of Turris, and the potential transformation to a winger of Zibanejad, I wouldn't mind Ottawa picking a really good two-way centre with size in the draft. Grigensons might fill the role nicely and could end it up in a similar situation as Courturier in Philly.
I have also made this point a few time & I like Faska at the draft if he is within our range. However, Bingo might also have a couple of guys like Grant & Culek who both have significant size, play centre & are both responsible defensively. DD can also play centre, has good size & plays with some grit. It would be nice if one of those three took off & turned into a good NHL player.

My guess is that Ottawa will target the guy they want at this yr's draft & possibly move up to get him but even in 15th place they should still be able to get a decent defenceman. Ceci, Lindholm, Maata, Koekoek & a few others could still be on the board at 15th.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
D0C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
is this thread done yet?
Agreed.

This thread and the other winners about trading our best players away for no reason.

This time of year brings the worst out of our fan base.

Gotta take out the popcorn and just enjoy the nonsense if only for its entertainment value.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
wilfred

I'm on record for saying that Spezza will not be traded because it will not be possible to get back enough to make it worth it.

That being said

If I was making a bet and my 2 options are: (with the players we have now)

1. Spezza plays 80 games and scores 84 points(4th in scoring)

2. Spezza plays 65 games and scores 60 points

Unfortunatly I would have to take #2.

And if Spezza only plays 65 games IMO Ottawa will be drafting very high in 2013 and the trade Spezza people will be screaming again.

Last edited by wilfred: 05-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I'm on record for saying that Spezza will not be traded because it will not be possible to get back enough to make it worth it.

That being said

If I was making a bet and my 2 options arewith the players we have now)

And if Spezza only plays 65 games IMO Ottawa will be drafting very high in 2013 and the trade Spezza people will be screaming again.
The issue next year is there could be 10 or 11 teams in the same boat as Ottawa.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0C View Post
Agreed.

This thread and the other winners about trading our best players away for no reason.

This time of year brings the worst out of our fan base.

Gotta take out the popcorn and just enjoy the nonsense if only for its entertainment value.

... and every prospect is going to be a Hall of Famer. Off season eh.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post

That being said

If I was making a bet and my 2 options arewith the players we have now)

Wrong. Why?

Kyle Turris. We now have a solid second line center who could possibly be 1B in the future and Turris looked amazing in Spezza's absence. We then have Regin, Smith, Foligno as centers. That's great depth if Spezza was to go down for about 10-15 games.

Dark horse is Da Costa who I still believe can be a strong solid second line center in this league as soon as next year(as a fill-in)

Not to mention Zibanejad if he still prefers the center position.

Spezza
Turris
Regin/Da Costa
Smith

Turris
Foligno/Da Costa
Regin/Smith
O'Brien

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

I could certainly go for some all-purpose Spezza, but I've always found him to be a little half-baked.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Wrong. Why?

Kyle Turris. We now have a solid second line center who could possibly be 1B in the future and Turris looked amazing in Spezza's absence. We then have Regin, Smith, Foligno as centers. That's great depth if Spezza was to go down for about 10-15 games.

Dark horse is Da Costa who I still believe can be a strong solid second line center in this league as soon as next year(as a fill-in)

Not to mention Zibanejad if he still prefers the center position.

Spezza
Turris
Regin/Da Costa
Smith

Turris
Foligno/Da Costa
Regin/Smith
O'Brien
Spezza is OTT's only 1st line player at the moment and at the moment Michalek is Ott's only other top 6 forward.

If Alfie comes back that will make 3

Turris might be next year but 29 points in 55 games is borderline at best

Foligno I just don't see him as a top 6 player I think he is a good 3rd line player on a top team

The rest have potential, but are not ready to pick up the scoring slack if Spezza goes down.

If Ottawa stays healthy next year I think there a borderline playoff team, if Spezza is out 15-20 games I think we are picking 5-10 in next years draft.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote