HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Playoff Series Talk - WC Semifinals - 2-Toronto Marlies vs. 4-Abbotsford Heat

View Poll Results: Who wins the series?
Marlies in 4 0 0%
Marlies in 5 1 6.67%
Marlies in 6 6 40.00%
Marlies in 7 1 6.67%
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 13.33%
Heat in 6 4 26.67%
Heat in 7 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2012, 10:46 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Was it only 500? Seemed like 2000.
I actually thought attendance was in the 4000 range being at the game, but I guess in the playoffs, ticket sales are essentially butts in the seats, round 2 wasn't included in the Season Ticket Holders packages, so they had to renew for the round, 3000 seemed a bit low, but I guess because there were speckles of the crowd all over the rink, it felt a bit fuller.

Leaf/Marlies fans made more noise than the Heat fans, although they certainly weren't outnumbered. I would say 20-25% of the crowd was Leaf fans, which says something huge to attendance IF they ended up playing San Antonio and didn't have the visiting fanbase showing up.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:59 AM
The Hutch

vCash: 500
Well, at least it can be said that there aren't people deciding to show up just because the team is in the playoffs....

Honestly, the only times that arena gets past half capacity is when the Canucks' farm team is in town, and when the beer is only $2.

But on a positive note, my dad and I are going to the game on Wednesday. Whether the Marlies are up 3-1, or the Heat tie it up 2-2 the night before, that game's going to be huge.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:39 AM
v-man

And here I was thinking Toronto's attendance is bad. 1,700 for a playoff game (and it looked like well less than that on TV)? Sad.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 01:34 AM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
And here I was thinking Toronto's attendance is bad. 1,700 for a playoff game (and it looked like well less than that on TV)? Sad.
Disgusting actually. Abbotsford has been joked about the last week out here for the poor attendance. I went to Saturday's game - might go tomorrow night too - we will see.

Tickets are overpriced, with only a few under 30 a pop.. There's no buzz in town - and really, it appears that Leaf Nation still shows up relatively well for games such as this.

I went to Game 3, sat near the corner, 13 rows up, and it cost me $32.50 for the ticket, at the box office. When you get 1700-3000 for your playoff games, something is wrong. Combination of expensive ticket prices, the Heat being in Canucksland, and the unfamiliarity and apathy of the AHL out west - the Heat won't be around forever...

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I hope Toronto close out the series tonight.

Reckon they have a good chance against either Oklahoma and San Antonio - moreso San Antonio though I think.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Leafidelity
Soon™

vCash: 1775
Marlies win in OT!

Western Conference Finals, here we come

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Yeah baby!! Conference finals!!

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Hyperglide

Marlies win in OT yea baby! What an exciting overtime. Off to the final four!

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:42 AM
The Hutch

Great game, total nail biter. Holzer made a HUGE stop on a 2 on 1 in the 3rd that basically saved the game for the Marlies. Ziggy also continues to be a solid contributer, including the OT goal to clinch the series.

Win or lose, I hate having to watch Koharski ref. Jamie especially, but Terry tonight as well, are just atrocious officials. So many ridiculous calls going either way. I don't care who their dad is, they have no business being officials at this level.

Tonight's attendance was listed on AHL.com as being 1360, which is the lowest I have ever bared witness to. Abbotsford as a whole is completely apathetic to the Heat. It's a shame, because they do bust their ass to market the club. Between advertising, fundraising, and the like, they're doing what it takes to raise awareness about the team.

A big thing that doesn't get mentioned that often, is how they underperform against the Canucks' farm clubs. That's when the casuals show up, most likely for the first time, and the Moose/Wolves always beat them. The last game against Chicago was the first time that the Heat had beaten a Canucks affiliate in the regular season. And when they lost the previous games, it was usually an ugly or one-sided affair.

What does that mean? In my opinion, those extra thousands of people walk away with the given impression that the Heat are a horrible hockey club. If they stink up the joint when they're there to see the Canucks' farm club, then why would they want to come back any other time?

The ticket pricing also sucks. Cost of the most expensive tickets is one thing, but the way they section off the price ranges is not good.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote