HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

byran mccabe

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Rand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.Utd
The fact Berg had to settle for England means he's just crappy as everyone thought. Maybe even crappier.
Aki Berg... as in the Leaf D-Man?

Assuming your referring to him, he's playing for Timra IK in the SEL.
3G/7A 10Pts in 25Gms last I checked.

As for McCabe, I think most people know I'm not the biggest fan of his but I don't really feel this indicates much about his NHL ability. He's not the first highly touted NHL'er to flop overseas and I doubt he'll be the last.

The downside is now he's coming back to Canada and we'll all have to listen to him whine about the CBA some more. Someone needs to put a gag on him, he's made a complete fool of himself since the lockout.

Old
12-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
In related news, Aki Berg has more points than Sheldon Souray.

Does this mean anything?
It means that I might by some small chance be not the only person on this earth that likes Berg?

On an unrelated note, Souray has been keeping a rather entertaining online diary of his time in Sweden.

Old
12-11-2004, 09:56 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Berg had to settle for England?

What?
he's probably thinking of bill berg

any chance to throw a dagger at a leaf or ex leaf

bill berg... gah

Old
12-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand

On an unrelated note, Souray has been keeping a rather entertaining online diary of his time in Sweden.
URL?

Old
12-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Juicer

Quote:
Well, Brendl grew up on the large ice surface... and he sucks period.
It doesn't really matter where Brendl grew up, because his goal is to play in the NHL. Brendl was coming along nicely last year, and him being cut by Ocelari is about as relevant as McCabe being cut in Sweden.

I don't think this will help McCabe's case for making Team Canada in the future.

Old
12-12-2004, 06:16 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
This means nothing, except that he can't play on the larger ice surface.
Yes, because it renders his dominant defensive tactics of interfere, hold, and hook relatively useless. It reveals him as the fraud that he is. The guy has never had the skills to back up the hype he gets.

Old
12-12-2004, 06:22 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
It doesn't really matter where Brendl grew up, because his goal is to play in the NHL. Brendl was coming along nicely last year, and him being cut by Ocelari is about as relevant as McCabe being cut in Sweden.
Brendl doesn't work hard enough on every shift. If you could take a guy with that size and have him bust his ass every shift, you would have a surefire NHL player even if he rarely scored. The problem with him is his work ethic. If he had been working hard all along, he would have played at least 200 NHL games by now...instead of 76.

Old
12-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
In related news, Aki Berg has more points than Sheldon Souray.

Does this mean anything?
Only that Färjestad have more quality defensemen than Timrå, by swedish standards of course. I´ve never seen Bryan play live so I won´t comment on him, but it seems that Sheldon has been instructed by the coach Bengt-Åke Gustafsson to concentrate more on the physical play.

Aki has been given a lot more offensive role in Timrå than he had in the NHL. He looked very impressive actually to my surprise when I had the opportunity to watch him play.

Old
12-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Tume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.Utd
The fact Berg had to settle for England means he's just crappy as everyone thought. Maybe even crappier.
Berg =! Belak

Old
12-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Prof_it

I think beyond just the different style of play and larger ice surface, the cultural changes have to impact performance. New country, culture, language...meals, music, etc.

In the mid 1980's when some of the first European players came over to the NHL...and were criticized by D. Cherry types for being soft...how hard would it be to leave home, family, your life and still play at a high level?

Old
12-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronblom
Aki has been given a lot more offensive role in Timrå than he had in the NHL. He looked very impressive actually to my surprise when I had the opportunity to watch him play.
I've just seen him on TV but I agree. I've seen him sometimes in Toronto (on TV) and he looked kind of lost there, and was beaten time after time in the World Cup. In Timrå, however, he has been very good. He even joins the rush now and then and have scored some goals that way. This could be very good for his confidence, and he could be a better player when the NHL starts out again.

Old
12-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Färjestad are happy with the play of Souray this far. Both him and Chara have been doing well.

Old
12-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Yes, because it renders his dominant defensive tactics of interfere, hold, and hook relatively useless. It reveals him as the fraud that he is. The guy has never had the skills to back up the hype he gets.

Old
12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Isn't it amazing how not having an elite goaltender behind mccabe turns him into a very ordinary Dman? In 24 games he played with Kidd and Telquist last season his +/- was 0. In the other 51 games he played with Belfour he was +22. So he gets you a point for every point he gives up when he has an average goalie behind him but put him with an elite goalie and all of a sudden what a great defensive defenseman he becomes. I guess the Swedish goaltenders on his team weren't good enough to cover up his mistakes. And leaf fans wonder why he wasn't on Team Canada.

Old
12-12-2004, 03:33 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Isn't it amazing how not having an elite goaltender behind mccabe turns him into a very ordinary Dman? In 24 games he played with Kidd and Telquist last season his +/- was 0. In the other 51 games he played with Belfour he was +22. So he gets you a point for every point he gives up when he has an average goalie behind him but put him with an elite goalie and all of a sudden what a great defensive defenseman he becomes. I guess the Swedish goaltenders on his team weren't good enough to cover up his mistakes. And leaf fans wonder why he wasn't on Team Canada.
I think that has a lot more to do with Kidd managing to save only 87.6% of the shots he faces... that would take down any hockey players +/-.

Old
12-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Juicer

Quote:
I think that has a lot more to do with Kidd managing to save only 87.6% of the shots he faces... that would take down any hockey players +/-.
I hate to burst your bubble, but save pct. has a lot to do with the quality of shots given up. The leafs have been spoiled with Cujo and Eddie. I am not blaming the leafs defense as a group though, it is their team defense as a whole that has been to reliant on their goalie's ability to bail them out.

Old
12-12-2004, 05:39 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but save pct. has a lot to do with the quality of shots given up. The leafs have been spoiled with Cujo and Eddie. I am not blaming the leafs defense as a group though, it is their team defense as a whole that has been to reliant on their goalie's ability to bail them out.
I'm not denying that.

But to say Bryan McCabe's +/- would be a lot lower if it weren't for great goaltending doesn't prove a point, because every players +/- would be lower if we had a bunch of fringe #2's starting for every NHL team.

Old
12-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...574009,00.html

"When the HV-coach Pär Mårts came to Kinnarps Arena in the morning the day of the game against Södertälje, he stopped by McCabes place in the locker room
- All the things were gone. I talked to him the day before the game and told him he would start as a reserve. Then he said he was dissapointed with himself and that he had never been a reserve before. I never thought he would leave without saying anything, Mårts says."

So it seems McCabe has left Sweden.

Brian Boucher also left HV after Stefan Liv became the first goalie again.

Old
12-13-2004, 12:30 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
If I recall correctly he did perfectly fine in the CHL. He left for personal reasons.
Yeah, the "personal reasons" of it's not much fun having to work your ass off and making very little cash while doing so.

Old
12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
I'm not denying that.
But to say Bryan McCabe's +/- would be a lot lower if it weren't for great goaltending doesn't prove a point, because every players +/- would be lower if we had a bunch of fringe #2's starting for every NHL team.
Fringe #2? I thought Telquist was the goalie of the future for the leafs. Anyway, I agree with what you said, but up to a point, however a +/- differential of 22 is huge.

The only other goalie tandem I could find that had a similar spread in sv%(there could be more but I only went up to the C's) between starter & backups was Carolina (weekes 66gms .912 & Irbe/Storr .888 vs Belfour 59gms .918 & telquist/kidd .883). Their top Dman Sean Hill was -6 in games with weekes and a +4 with the back-ups. So its not always the case that a better goalie will yield a better +/- (although I'll admit it is usually the case) but a 22 differential? yikes.

Old
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Fringe #2? I thought Telquist was the goalie of the future for the leafs. Anyway, I agree with what you said, but up to a point, however a +/- differential of 22 is huge.

The only other goalie tandem I could find that had a similar spread in sv%(there could be more but I only went up to the C's) between starter & backups was Carolina (weekes 66gms .912 & Irbe/Storr .888 vs Belfour 59gms .918 & telquist/kidd .883). Their top Dman Sean Hill was -6 in games with weekes and a +4 with the back-ups. So its not always the case that a better goalie will yield a better +/- (although I'll admit it is usually the case) but a 22 differential? yikes.
... a 22 point difference... how many games did Belfour play compared to the others?

Something like 30+ when you combine Tellqvist and Kidd.

Old
12-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
... a 22 point difference... how many games did Belfour play compared to the others?
Something like 30+ when you combine Tellqvist and Kidd.
I put it in my post, Belfour 59gms. Weekes 66gms. Since Weekes played more games than Belfour you would expect a bigger positive differential for Hill instead of the negative differential he actually had. If Belfour had played in 66 games, mccabe differential would be expected to be even higher.

Old
12-13-2004, 04:34 PM
cleduc

Quote:
One difference is that McCabe wasn't cut. He left the team. The guy you touted as an up and coming potential superstar ... Brendl, that is another story.

Old
12-13-2004, 04:39 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercanyon
I think he really suffered because of the big ice(naturally) and the redline offside.
Don´t get angry at me now people, but i honestly believe it requires less hockeysense for defensemen on the smaller rinks you over there, as you can always go over redline and dump the puck into the offensive zone.
McCabe won two golds at the WJC's and was one of the two all star dmen in at least one of them. He also played in the World Championships for Canada in '97 and '98 and won gold one of those years. I think he also won as fastest skater at one of the Leafs skills competitions fairly recently so he's pretty mobile for a dman. I don't see the wide ice providing that much of a problem for him - more than any other dman would.

I think he's either shown up out of shape or just doesn't give a hoot. As well, the team he joined as I recall was lousy before he showed up.

Old
12-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
As well, the team he joined as I recall was lousy before he showed up.
Actually this team were in 7th position after 18 games with 7 wins, 3 ties and 8 losses. The next 10 games (with Bryan McCabe) resulted in 1 win, 2 ties and 7 losses.

You can find all this info at swehockey under Historical database.

It should be mentioned that Anders Eriksson has been heavily criticized as well...

Closed Thread