HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

byran mccabe

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
  #51
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Yes, because it renders his dominant defensive tactics of interfere, hold, and hook relatively useless. It reveals him as the fraud that he is. The guy has never had the skills to back up the hype he gets.
Im not so sure there, he single handedly won 2 games for the Flyers in last seasons playoffs.

Steve L* is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 07:28 PM
  #52
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Im not so sure there, he single handedly won 2 games for the Flyers in last seasons playoffs.

I wouldn't say that, when Belfour was pulled in game 5 last year, it was midway through the 2nd period and the Flyers had more goals than the leafs had shots. It was a team effort.

Juicer is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
  #53
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
One difference is that McCabe wasn't cut. He left the team. The guy you touted as an up and coming potential superstar ... Brendl, that is another story.
Brendl decided to leave and the team agreed it would be for the best.(He made the first move) McCabe left after it was announced he was going to be a healthy scratch. The team said he left due to poor play and McCabe left after that.(sounds like he took his ball and went home) The situations were very similar though in which either side got what they wanted or expected.

Juicer is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
  #54
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
McCabe won two golds at the WJC's and was one of the two all star dmen in at least one of them. He also played in the World Championships for Canada in '97 and '98 and won gold one of those years. I think he also won as fastest skater at one of the Leafs skills competitions fairly recently so he's pretty mobile for a dman. I don't see the wide ice providing that much of a problem for him - more than any other dman would.
Then what is the problem? He has had a very inconsistant career, is it just him having another bad year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
I think he's either shown up out of shape or just doesn't give a hoot. As well, the team he joined as I recall was lousy before he showed up.
Wrong again.

Juicer is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
  #55
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,481
vCash: 500
I'll tell you what the problem is: McCabe is a babe hound. A female poster here told me he has worse hands off the ice than on--- she called him off side-- and now he has been let loose in the Land of Abba. Guy is just too tired from scoring off the ice to put any points on the board.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 08:30 PM
  #56
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,481
vCash: 500
or maybe it's because he is the Leafs player rep and was more concerned with what was going on than to give a rat's ass about HV-71.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 09:45 PM
  #57
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Wrong again.
And a .472 hockey team is great losing a couple of times to the worst team in the league before McCabe showed up and then adding a sieve like Brian Boucher, one of the worst goalies in the NHL, to back stop for them and adding defensively weak Anders Ericksson to the defence ??

Do you think adding Turco for six games and Boyle helped Djurgårdens get ahead of them in the standings ? Do you think playing a majorty of the games against teams .500 and better had something to do with their recent record ?

They're not a terrible team but they're lousy team. 4th worst offensively and worse defensively.

cleduc is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
  #58
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Isn't it amazing how not having an elite goaltender behind mccabe turns him into a very ordinary Dman? In 24 games he played with Kidd and Telquist last season his +/- was 0. In the other 51 games he played with Belfour he was +22. So he gets you a point for every point he gives up when he has an average goalie behind him but put him with an elite goalie and all of a sudden what a great defensive defenseman he becomes. I guess the Swedish goaltenders on his team weren't good enough to cover up his mistakes. And leaf fans wonder why he wasn't on Team Canada.
Leaf fans didn't vote him as a second team all star in the league.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
  #59
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
And a .472 hockey team is great losing a couple of times to the worst team in the league before McCabe showed up and then adding a sieve like Brian Boucher, one of the worst goalies in the NHL, to back stop for them and adding defensively weak Anders Ericksson to the defence ??
Adding McCabe should have made them a better team, it made them worse. You can pathetically try passing the blame onto Boucher or Eriksson if you want, but the fact is McCabe was going to be a healthy scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
Do you think adding Turco for six games and Boyle helped Djurgårdens get ahead of them in the standings ?
It should help them, just like adding McCabe should have helped HV. The problem is when you add a player, he has to produce, McCabe didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
Do you think playing a majorty of the games against teams .500 and better had something to do with their recent record ?
Yes, but so did McCabe's -12 in 10 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
They're not a terrible team but they're lousy team. 4th worst offensively and worse defensively.
They were lousy over the 10 games span McCabe played, and average before that.

Juicer is offline  
Old
12-13-2004, 11:59 PM
  #60
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Never fear if the Leafs have McCabe who is single handedly losing games in Sweden they can always replace him with Pilar who by the same token must be single handedly winning games for Sparta, first place in the Czech league.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 02:36 AM
  #61
C-J...*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Alot of guys that played regularely last season in the nhl didnt "hack it" in the SEL, McCabe is only one of them.. From what I´ve heard Cleary and Morrison stated that there were more skilled players players in the SEL, but that the game was less physical.

First 10 pointgetters are NHL:ers though, Forsberg number one even though he playes on a team the is underachieving and the fact that he seems to think that he´s been sucking in almost every game hes played.

Hes been getting alot of cheapshots here and would really need a guy like Chris Simon on the team, that would be awsome.

C-J...* is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 01:03 PM
  #62
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Adding McCabe should have made them a better team, it made them worse. You can pathetically try passing the blame onto Boucher or Eriksson if you want, but the fact is McCabe was going to be a healthy scratch.
Indeed. Boucher losing every game where the opposition scored 7, 5, 3 & 3 goals, providing no wins and a team worst GAA, residing near the bottom of the league in sieve % with .884 and GAA obviously had absolutely nothing to do with the results. A team without goaltending goes nowhere.

Other Swedish teams add some decent NHLers while HV 71 put Boucher and Eriksson on the ice to see a most predictable outcome. They most certainly bear some of the responsibility. It doesn't say much for the goaltending they had when they opted for Boucher as an upgrade. We know McCabe is an NHL caliber dman. We also know from years of performance those other two don't really belong in the NHL.

cleduc is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 03:19 PM
  #63
C-J...*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
Indeed. Boucher losing every game where the opposition scored 7, 5, 3 & 3 goals, providing no wins and a team worst GAA, residing near the bottom of the league in sieve % with .884 and GAA obviously had absolutely nothing to do with the results. A team without goaltending goes nowhere.

Other Swedish teams add some decent NHLers while HV 71 put Boucher and Eriksson on the ice to see a most predictable outcome. They most certainly bear some of the responsibility. It doesn't say much for the goaltending they had when they opted for Boucher as an upgrade. We know McCabe is an NHL caliber dman. We also know from years of performance those other two don't really belong in the NHL.

Hockey on big rinks is totally different, it takes more intelligence and ability to be one step ahead of the next play since you have to cover a much larger ice, McCabe might be one of the best defenders in the NHL but lets face it, he didnt cut it on the worst team in the SEL, that has to count for something. He was on the ice in almost all their powerplays and only managed one assist and had -13 in +-. If you´ve seen the links posted on the coloradoforum you also saw how Forsberg schooled him really badly on several occasions in the clatch between HV and Modo. The only thing McCabe managed to do in that game was to crosscheck Forsberg while he was on his back, what a gentleman.

C-J...* is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 03:25 PM
  #64
Vincent Vega
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
In related news, Aki Berg has more points than Sheldon Souray.

Does this mean anything?
Yea...Aki is starting to come into his own as an offensive defensemen.

Vincent Vega is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 03:26 PM
  #65
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I'm sure Glenn Healy still thinks he's the 4th best defensman on the planet.

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 03:26 PM
  #66
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
Alot of guys that played regularely last season in the nhl didnt "hack it" in the SEL, McCabe is only one of them.. From what I´ve heard Cleary and Morrison stated that there were more skilled players players in the SEL, but that the game was less physical.

First 10 pointgetters are NHL:ers though, Forsberg number one even though he playes on a team the is underachieving and the fact that he seems to think that he´s been sucking in almost every game hes played.

Hes been getting alot of cheapshots here and would really need a guy like Chris Simon on the team, that would be awsome.
That's a good point about the physical play, which is really one of McCabes top assets. He can't use it there.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
  #67
Juicer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
Indeed. Boucher losing every game where the opposition scored 7, 5, 3 & 3 goals, providing no wins and a team worst GAA, residing near the bottom of the league in sieve % with .884 and GAA obviously had absolutely nothing to do with the results. A team without goaltending goes nowhere.
Did McCabe play in those games? Without Boucher, with McCabe in, did they not play terribly also? Did McCabe's 1 assist in 12 games help the cause, he is supposed to be an offensive Dman isn't he?

And if the goaltending was so bad, would you not want your defense to be even better? Well why would McCabe be a healthy scratch? The second worst team in teh league decided he was not good enough to play for them, you can't blame that on anyone other than McCabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
Other Swedish teams add some decent NHLers while HV 71 put Boucher and Eriksson on the ice to see a most predictable outcome.
The plan was to add McCabe as their big addition, the other guys are not as good as McCabe. Would you not expect more from your premier signing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
They most certainly bear some of the responsibility.
Since MCabe was the biggest addition, he should shoulder the most responsibility. To break this down for you, when the Raptors lose, Carter would accept more blame than Bonner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
It doesn't say much for the goaltending they had when they opted for Boucher as an upgrade.
Ir doesn;t say much for your game, when you are a healthy scratch and Eriksson plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
We know McCabe is an NHL caliber dman.
I never said he wasn't. He is a very good Dman, you missed the point of my original post, and his NHL play has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
We also know from years of performance those other two don't really belong in the NHL.
Then why does Boucher still play in the NHL?(under Gretzky at that) His 99-00 year was one of the best in recent history.

Juicer is offline  
Old
12-14-2004, 11:00 PM
  #68
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Did McCabe play in those games? Without Boucher, with McCabe in, did they not play terribly also?
At least they had a chance for a win and got one. Something they were unable to do with Boucher sieving it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Did McCabe's 1 assist in 12 games help the cause, he is supposed to be an offensive Dman isn't he?
I think his goal helped. It was a goal (for the reading impaired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
And if the goaltending was so bad, would you not want your defense to be even better?
Not as much as they'd want to get Boucher out of town - which they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
The plan was to add McCabe as their big addition, the other guys are not as good as McCabe. Would you not expect more from your premier signing?
Time will tell. It is currently McCabe's decision as to whether he is going back. I suspect that he may be looking for a better team to play with. You'd win little with weak goalies like Boucher providing such poor support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
Then why does Boucher still play in the NHL?(under Gretzky at that)
Why did they get Brent Johnson ? Because Boucher's got chronic sievitis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
His 99-00 year was one of the best in recent history.
One of the best is recent history ? C'mon. .918 save % ?? Played only 35 games ? Struggling to keep his save% above .900 for his career as he turns 28 ? Bah !! He's a bum.

cleduc is offline  
Old
12-15-2004, 04:25 AM
  #69
C-J...*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
According to both McCabe and Boucher, theyr were both extremely displeased with their own performances when playing in SEL, that and "personal reasons" made them give up and go home.

C-J...* is offline  
Old
12-15-2004, 07:08 AM
  #71
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Souray is hilarious. Those postcards are awesome.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
12-15-2004, 08:00 AM
  #72
I.am.ca
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Langley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Aki Berg... as in the Leaf D-Man?

Assuming your referring to him, he's playing for Timra IK in the SEL.
3G/7A 10Pts in 25Gms last I checked.

As for McCabe, I think most people know I'm not the biggest fan of his but I don't really feel this indicates much about his NHL ability. He's not the first highly touted NHL'er to flop overseas and I doubt he'll be the last.

The downside is now he's coming back to Canada and we'll all have to listen to him whine about the CBA some more. Someone needs to put a gag on him, he's made a complete fool of himself since the lockout.

McCabe has done a fine job of making a fool out of himself before the CBA, all he's done is elevate his foolishness since this lockout. Good job Bryan.

I.am.ca is offline  
Old
12-15-2004, 12:19 PM
  #73
cleduc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
Hockey on big rinks is totally different, it takes more intelligence and ability to be one step ahead of the next play since you have to cover a much larger ice, McCabe might be one of the best defenders in the NHL but lets face it, he didnt cut it on the worst team in the SEL, that has to count for something. He was on the ice in almost all their powerplays and only managed one assist and had -13 in +-. If you´ve seen the links posted on the coloradoforum you also saw how Forsberg schooled him really badly on several occasions in the clatch between HV and Modo. The only thing McCabe managed to do in that game was to crosscheck Forsberg while he was on his back, what a gentleman.
McCabe has won three gold medals in international play. He was an All Star at one of the WJC tournaments. I don't think the wide ice has a lot to do with it. He also has pretty good speed.

Are there any dmen Forsberg hasn't "schooled" ?

There are many good players whose teams fail to make the playoffs and they don't perform as well. Ten games with a bad team reveals little about McCabe's abilities. Clearly a bunch of the HV 71 players suck. Maybe McCabe isn't in game shape. Maybe the coach sucks. Maybe McCbe doesn't like the coach because he sucks.

There's nothing conclusive about McCabe one can draw from the result of 10 games under these circumstances. And it remains his option to return. What was he .. 4th in Norris voting last year ? I can't take it too seriously.

cleduc is offline  
Old
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
  #74
C-J...*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc
McCabe has won three gold medals in international play. He was an All Star at one of the WJC tournaments. I don't think the wide ice has a lot to do with it. He also has pretty good speed.

Are there any dmen Forsberg hasn't "schooled" ?

There are many good players whose teams fail to make the playoffs and they don't perform as well. Ten games with a bad team reveals little about McCabe's abilities. Clearly a bunch of the HV 71 players suck. Maybe McCabe isn't in game shape. Maybe the coach sucks. Maybe McCbe doesn't like the coach because he sucks.

There's nothing conclusive about McCabe one can draw from the result of 10 games under these circumstances. And it remains his option to return. What was he .. 4th in Norris voting last year ? I can't take it too seriously.

If hes as good as everyone claims, he should dominate in the SEL, the only thing that did get dominated was the fact that hes overrated. 4:th runner up for the Norristrophy sits out as a healthy scratch in SEL?

HV won the championship last season, so Im guessing they arent that bad, and even if that was the case...that would mean McCabe was even worse since he didnt even make the team his last game.

C-J...* is offline  
Old
12-15-2004, 01:17 PM
  #75
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J...
If hes as good as everyone claims, he should dominate in the SEL, the only thing that did get dominated was the fact that hes overrated. 4:th runner up for the Norristrophy sits out as a healthy scratch in SEL?
Look at the AHL. How many of the top prospects that are in the league this season that were high draft picks and played in the NHL are tearing up that league? Answer, none.

The reason is that they are surrounded by substandard players and they can't compensate for the inferior play of their teammates who aren't where they are supposed to be, can't make proper passes, etc.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.