HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Sun Says Trade Kesler

Old
04-28-2012, 08:17 AM
MoeMoney

vCash: 500
Vancouver Sun Says Trade Kesler

They've gone mad in Vancouver, I would take him on in a heartbeat.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/T...057/story.html

Quote:
It stands to reason, then, no move would so instantly transform and rebrand the Canucks as trading Kesler.

We're not advocating dumping the elite two-way centre, who gets to keep the Selke Trophy another couple of months.

But trading their core player is not as unthinkable as it once seemed, given the season Kesler had, a no-trade clause in his contract that kicks in before next season, and the potential benefits to the Canucks of a multi-player windfall and the renewal of their image.

That is already underway with the seismic shift in the goal crease, as longtime incumbent Roberto Luongo unselfishly declared Tuesday he won't stand in the way of the Canucks' promoting backup Cory Schneider. Even halfway through this season, the idea of trading Luongo and keeping Schneider was outrageous

Quote:
"It's not my job to worry," Kesler said when asked if he was concerned the Canucks might finally listen to the many teams that call periodically to inquire about him.

"They know I love it here, love playing here. I love this team and want to win just as much as everybody else in this room. That's what you try to build your team around - character and guys who want to win."

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Alright first of all it's the sun, as soon as I read that, walk away.

04-28-2012, 08:42 AM
trellaine201

I wouldnt't want him. Injury problems that I think are serious. I believe he will be getting shoulder surgery this summer. And also had issues last year during the playoffs.

No thanks

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

i keep on saying it,hes perfect fit for the habs,dives like a champ!!!!!!

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

I might sound hypocritical as I'm a huge proponent of getting Jordan Staal, but I think rather than paying for other teams players with question marks around them (injuries etc.) we should just keep and develop our own.

We won't develop them unless we give them a chance.

Rather than getting Kesler, let's see what Kadri and Colborne can do, or even D'Amigo.

I don't mind missing the playoffs next year if I see them add a few more youngsters from the Marlies, get them experience, and get rid of deadweights like Tim Connolly, Mathew Lombardi and even Clarke MacArthur (not a deadweight, but I'm just not a fan).

04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I might sound hypocritical as I'm a huge proponent of getting Jordan Staal, but I think rather than paying for other teams players with question marks around them (injuries etc.) we should just keep and develop our own.

We won't develop them unless we give them a chance.

Rather than getting Kesler, let's see what Kadri and Colborne can do, or even D'Amigo.

I don't mind missing the playoffs next year if I see them add a few more youngsters from the Marlies, get them experience, and get rid of deadweights like Tim Connolly, Mathew Lombardi and even Clarke MacArthur (not a deadweight, but I'm just not a fan).
Why can't we do both? Trade some, but not all of those prospects in a package, develop the remaining assets while acquiring good NHL players (doesn't have to be Kesler)

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Why can't we do both? Trade some, but not all of those prospects in a package, develop the remaining assets while acquiring good NHL players (doesn't have to be Kesler)
The ideal scenario. Just because we trade for a proven guy, doesn't mean that we can no longer develop the prospects that we already have. I picture trades for Staal and Kesler as hockey deals. I don't see them looking for prospects really because both teams are in win now mode. I am not saying that we woudn't have to give up any young players, but I don't think we'd have to sell the farm. Hope not at least.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

A) It's vancouver sun about vancouver canucks. This goes in Around the league thread.

B) We already have a 2nd line C committed to for next 5 years. Don't want another.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Fortunately for the Vancouver Canucks, the Sun doesn't run their team. I'm not sure why I'm defending that team or even that player but whenever a player isn't effective in the playoffs few seem to consider the possibility that the player was playing while injured. If Vancouver were looking to dump Kesler, I'd hope that Burke/Nonis would make a sincere effort at acquiring the player.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:22 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:

The Leafs can re-unite with the management team that brought the Vancouver core to the NHL.....Trade for Louongo, Kesler and the Sedins......that way they can come to Toronto to prove that they can't get it done in more than one city.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
The ideal scenario. Just because we trade for a proven guy, doesn't mean that we can no longer develop the prospects that we already have. I picture trades for Staal and Kesler as hockey deals. I don't see them looking for prospects really because both teams are in win now mode. I am not saying that we woudn't have to give up any young players, but I don't think we'd have to sell the farm. Hope not at least.
Agreed, Vancouver in "win now" mode as the Presidents trophy and leagues best regular season team, shouldn't cause any need for fear of trading prospects to obtain him, because Kesler (if traded) would have to increase the "win now" potential in the present.

The question then becomes what would make Vancouver more competitive today as Cup contenders, and what would Leafs have to offer up for Kesler to fulfill that prerequisite?

That would be the bases for a successful Leafs/Canucks transaction to occur for the player in question.

04-28-2012, 09:35 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
A) It's vancouver sun about vancouver canucks. This goes in Around the league thread.

B) We already have a 2nd line C committed to for next 5 years. Don't want another.
A) Who cares

B) He would be a 1st line Centre on this team and a very good one at that next to Kessel.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:36 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I love watching Ryan Kesler play, this last season/playoffs excluded. Last season's injuries and long playoff run dramatically affected his season and he should rebound.

Although I'd need to think long and hard about what I would move. Toronto and Vancouver really are not good trading partners.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
That would be the bases for a successful Leafs/Canucks transaction to occur for the player in question.
After moving Hodgson, I don't see the Canucks moving Kesler, and with his contract the Leafs have little to offer to make them better now, or cheaper to improve another position.

We don't have a 2nd line center to replace him and add value at another position.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:42 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

And they say Toronto's media is absurd and tough to play for?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
RogerRoeper*

Offensively, he's peaked. He'll never repeat what he did from 2009-2011.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:12 AM
re5piration
'67 til

Our 1st rounder and three of LACK for Kesler and Luongo.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:17 AM
go_leafs_go02

I'll come a Canucks fan if we get Kesler.

Absolutely hate his diving tactics.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:18 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
The Leafs can re-unite with the management team that brought the Vancouver core to the NHL.....Trade for Louongo, Kesler and the Sedins......that way they can come to Toronto to prove that they can't get it done in more than one city.
Why quote me if you're not going to discuss anything in my post? Looks like my post in the Luongo thread really got to you.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post

Theres no question that he's a 1C Calibre player. He's a 2C in VAN because of Sedin. No less a 1C in TOR than Mike Richards would have been.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

The fact that the title of this article spelled his name incorrectly (Kessler should be Kesler)... removes any sort of credibility to make it worth reading.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I'll come a Canucks fan if we get Kesler.

Absolutely hate his diving tactics.
That I would say has to do a lot with the coaching my friend.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:29 AM
416Leafer

The Sun is an absolute joke of a newspaper.

Trade Kesler? Yea, that makes a TON of sense considering they already moved Hodgson, and would be dangerously thin up the middle if Kesler was also moved.

And trade Kesler when his value is low? Also bad asset management. Kesler is significantly younger than the Sedins, so in terms of long term thinking, he's a very core and important piece. Selke calibre centres are VERY valuable. Toews, Richards, Datsyuk, and Kesler have all been some of the most important pieces for their teams in Cup runs (Granted Vancouver/Philly didn't win, but got to the finals).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
That I would say has to do a lot with the coaching my friend.
I couldn't see Burke and Carlyle putting up with that if Kesler was in the fold.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Why quote me if you're not going to discuss anything in my post? Looks like my post in the Luongo thread really got to you.
Hahaha...EZ...your post didn't "get to me" in the Louongo thread...I was actually pleasantly surprised that you could bring up my thoughts on Ryan Kesler from a year ago. I was honestly impressed. I thought here is a guy who does his research or has a damn good memory....And I acknowledged that you're assessment on my belief in Kesler last year vs. this year has changed. I thought he played gritty hockey (minus the embarrassing diving)...last season and was the MVP of the Nucks run until the final...but it came out he was injured so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. This season he kinda sucked. And he was a non-factor in the playoffs. So, I'm not so sure about Kesler...can't say I like him much but he is a good player...I think. Lets put it this way..If the Leafs are gonna steal away a core piece from Vancouver, I'd much rather it be Kesler than anyone else (Yeah that means Luongo.hahahaha).

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote