HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who will be the new "commodity #1 center" that everyone goes after this year

Old
04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
sal00

vCash: 500
Who will be the new "commodity #1 center" that everyone goes after this year

So last year every team that were desperate for a #1 center went on to pitch for Richards, with Rangers winning the bid.

A season later, the same teams that are seeking one is still going to want one this off-season.

Since free agency is not an option this year (unless you want to count Jokinen as one), which center do you think will be the biggest trade commodity available for offseason?

It seems like Getzlaf and Eric Staal are no longer brought up for trade talks. So, perhaps Jordan Staal (though some argues that he hasn't had that much #1C experience) may the be one this year?

Or will some teams take the draft route and try to trade up for the blue chip prospects (Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/etc)?

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:19 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Anyone who drafts Grigorenko or Galchenyuk will be using their pick to get a #1 C the traditional way, through the draft.

Overpayment from the team trading for the pick is a given since teams in position to draft high enough to get these players have lots of holes to plug in their rosters.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal00 View Post
So last year every team that were desperate for a #1 center went on to pitch for Richards, with Rangers winning the bid.

A season later, the same teams that are seeking one is still going to want one this off-season.

Since free agency is not an option this year (unless you want to count Jokinen as one), which center do you think will be the biggest trade commodity available for offseason?

It seems like Getzlaf and Eric Staal are no longer brought up for trade talks. So, perhaps Jordan Staal (though some argues that he hasn't had that much #1C experience) may the be one this year?

Or will some teams take the draft route and try to trade up for the blue chip prospects (Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/etc)?
I am guessing teams that have 3 top 2 centers will be targeted by whatever teams cannot get the player they need in the draft.

Malkin/Staal (Malkin has a very small chance of being traded. Staal is a lot more likely for obvious reasons, but you never know.)
O'Reilly/Stastny (I think one could be had for a top 6 winger)
B. Schenn/Couturier

Probably missing one or two but those teams seem to have the center quality and depth to trade one guy for the right price. It would have to fit their needs as well.

Pitt - High quality wingers

Philly - Young potential top pairing D

Col - High quality wingers

Considering that the D Philly wants is very hard to come by I think the cheapest would probably be. (From least to most expensive) Staal, O'Reilly, Schenn/Couturier. Just because Philly has very little need anywhere else that would convince them to move one of their centers. Philly also has JVR but it would take a package of JVR + + to land anything close to a young top pairing defender.

Both Pitt & Col could use defense and wingers (Wingers being the most important of the two), and Staal is older and 1 year from being a UFA.

My favorite as a Colorado fan is Ryan O'Reilly + Barrie/Elliott for Bobby Ryan. I have no idea what Pitt would want for Staal though.

Teams with winger depth that need a center..

Anaheim

Edmonton

Teams with depth in young NHL ready D that need a center..

Phoenix (I don't think Phoenix would say no to a young center but their strategy of having a bunch of 3rd line centers somehow seems to be working.)

Toronto (Probably the most desperate and probably the worst in terms of what they could offer beyond pieces they cannot afford to move.)

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Staal is going to be the rumour mill delight this year

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:47 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Colorado already has Steve Downie, Jamie McGinn, Peter Mueller, I guess they can go after Ryan.

Colorado:
Ryan

Anaheim:
Mueller
Pickard/Cann
Gaunce
2nd 2013

Trade Staal to Calgary, they'd make good use out of him there

Staal for Iginla, Backlund and Howse

Last edited by KingJet*: 04-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Colorado already has Steve Downie, Jamie McGinn, Peter Mueller, I guess they can go after Ryan.

Colorado:
Ryan

Anaheim:
Mueller
Pickard/Cann
Gaunce
2nd 2013
The Ducks might consider moving Ryan in case Getzlaf/Perry extensions get done quickly afer July 1st, but if they do, it won't be for a package around a gamble in Mueller.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:02 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:

Colorado:
Ryan

Anaheim:
Mueller
Pickard/Cann
Gaunce
2nd 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
The Ducks might consider moving Ryan in case Getzlaf/Perry extensions get done quickly afer July 1st, but if they do, it won't be for a package around a gamble in Mueller.

Yeah uh.. Ryan would cost way more than that.. (From an Avs fan)

Landeskog, Mueller, McGinn, Downie, & Jones are only 5 of 6 that are needed. Landeskog & Mueller have a "chance" at being 1st line wingers, but with Mueller that's if he stays healthy.

O'Reilly actually fits their needs and Barrie or Elliott could replace Visnovksy in a year or so.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:04 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Colorado:
Ryan

Anaheim:
Mueller
Pickard/Cann
Gaunce
2nd 2013
The Avs take that deal in a heartbeat - Anahaeim wouldn't.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:

Colorado:
Ryan

Anaheim:
Mueller
Pickard/Cann
Gaunce
2nd 2013
I don't think we'd move Ryan for quantity.

Not even sure why Pickard would be a consideration when we have a starter, we're about to sign Fasth, and we have great goaltenders in the system.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:10 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
The Avs take that deal in a heartbeat - Anahaeim wouldn't.
Yeah you have to ask yourself when making a proposal.. "Would I take this for O'Reilly" Or insert another player of equal value to the one your going after.

a bunch of secondary pieces is not going to get you a top 6 anything.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

vCash: 50
Yeah, no way Ryan goes for that

Gibson Les Palms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:29 PM
CobraAcesS

Back to the OP : One thing that is funny is there is really only a few teams out there that are in dire need of a No. 1 center.

Toronto

Phoenix

Columbus

Montreal

---

Of those Toronto is the most desperate with the least amount to offer. While Columbus & Montreal are rebuilding, CBJ has the draft pick and Rick Nash to move. Montreal has a high enough draft pick to get what they need in the draft as well.

Phoenix is very hard to peg as to what they would do since playing with 3 3rd line centers seems to work for their style.

If you expand that No. 1 center to "teams that need a top 2 center" the list gets a little longer.

Toronto (Needs a No. 1)

Anaheim (Needs a No. 2)

Columbus (Needs a No. 1 but could get their guy in the draft)

Montreal (Needs a No. 1 but could also get their guy in the draft)

Phoenix (Probably could use a guy that is a little more offensively inclined up top)

Edmonton (Needs a No. 2 but probably more focused on D)

Probably in that order as to how desperate each team would be to go after a top 2 center.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
rockinghockey

Stastney from COL will probally be the man. He would look good in ANA as long as they don't give up Ryan. Ryan is worth more than Stastney.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Stastney from COL will probally be the man. He would look good in ANA as long as they don't give up Ryan. Ryan is worth more than Stastney.
Honestly Ryan is barely worth more than Stastny..

Centers especial 1A/1B playmaking centers are more rare than wingers. Stastny contract hurts his value a little but at the same time it's not hurting Colorado so there is no reason to move him unless they get the value needed.

Duchene is also not ready to be the clear cut No. 1 center on the team. He needs a year or two..

O'Reilly probably does not have the offensive upside to be a true No.1 center but is a very good 2C.

I would say..

Staal & Stastny would be the most talked about but Staal & O'Reilly would probably be the most sought after. Considering price vs contract and what not. Trading Stasting and leaving two 21 years olds as our 1/2 would scare the hell out of me go forward.

Regardless of Duchene's year I still think in the end O'Reilly will be the odd man out because he would be the easiest to move.

If Kesler is continued to be talked about he would be right up there as well. But IMO I think that is more of media taking advantage of Vancouver fans panicking and trying to draw readers than anything else.

In the end the teams that need a strong 2C might be able to get what they want. But looking at it.. I am not sure there will be a real clear cut "No.1 Center" available.

Old
04-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If were not getting Ryan then there is no ****ing way they are getting Stastny.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Back to the OP : One thing that is funny is there is really only a few teams out there that are in dire need of a No. 1 center.

Toronto

Phoenix

Columbus

Montreal

---

Of those Toronto is the most desperate with the least amount to offer. While Columbus & Montreal are rebuilding, CBJ has the draft pick and Rick Nash to move. Montreal has a high enough draft pick to get what they need in the draft as well.

Phoenix is very hard to peg as to what they would do since playing with 3 3rd line centers seems to work for their style.

If you expand that No. 1 center to "teams that need a top 2 center" the list gets a little longer.

Toronto (Needs a No. 1)

Anaheim (Needs a No. 2)

Columbus (Needs a No. 1 but could get their guy in the draft)

Montreal (Needs a No. 1 but could also get their guy in the draft)

Phoenix (Probably could use a guy that is a little more offensively inclined up top)

Edmonton (Needs a No. 2 but probably more focused on D)

Probably in that order as to how desperate each team would be to go after a top 2 center.
Pretty sure the Habs aren't rebuilding. If this season sucks, maybe, but right now they aren't.

They have 3 top 60 picks this year and 4 top 60 picks next year.

They have a 1b centre in Plekanec. Points wise, Desharnais put up numbers of a number 1 centre. Habs will hopefully draft Grigs/ Gally and have a potential number 1 centre and 2 1b centers depending on Desharnais' continue progression

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
If were not getting Ryan then there is no ****ing way they are getting Stastny.
Stastny for Ryan does not work for Anaheim and they have already made that clear in other threads.

Not because of his skill or his age, but because his salary makes him a non starter.

They have already said that they wouldn't give up guys like Ryan or their 6th over all for Staal either due to his contract.

Taking those two things into account is why I offer O'Reilly. He will probably command around 4M and would probably be happy with a long term contract right around 4 as well as being young.

Don't forget Ryan is 23, and O'Reilly is the easist of our 3 centers to move. Stastny has his contract and Duchene's perceived value is just to low. In a year Duchene could be worth WAY more than anything we would see offered right now.

O'Reilly may score 70 points or he may not. It's safer to peg him at around 60 constantly while being at or almost at Selke level on defense.

55 points @ 21 w/ a rookie and rotating RWs while being in the Selke race most of the year and the fact that he will be fairly cheap, makes him the easiest to move for a legit 30 goal winger.

In the end Stastny could stay a bit over paid or he could regain his 70 point form. Either way he won't be a liability and we won't get what we need for it to be worth moving him. His Salary does not hurt us and he is the most versatile when pairing him with various wingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pretty sure the Habs aren't rebuilding. If this season sucks, maybe, but right now they aren't.

They have 3 top 60 picks this year and 4 top 60 picks next year.

They have a 1b centre in Plekanec. Points wise, Desharnais put up numbers of a number 1 centre. Habs will hopefully draft Grigs/ Gally and have a potential number 1 centre and 2 1b centers depending on Desharnais' continue progression
So your building, not rebuilding? Tit for tat.. Having a bunch potential and holes on defense as well as hoping for draft picks to pan out. Pretty much makes you a rebuilding team. Your in homer ville if you think Montreal will be even middle of the pack in the playoffs next year. If the stars align you might get in but that's only if you fill some major holes on D and bolster your depth at wing. Are you hoping to be Calgary 2.0?

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 05:12 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

Colorado:
Ryan

Anaheim:
Mueller
Pickard/Cann
Gaunce
2nd 2013

Eww. No Anaheim has no interest in moving Ryan for any of that

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I don't think we'd move Ryan for quantity.
If there is one team that I would guess that would trade a star player for quantity it would be Anaheim. Your 6th highest scoring forward has 26 points which I believe is one of the lowest in the NHL. The people with more then 26 are Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne and Koivu. Selanne and Koivu could be done any year now.

I will admit that I am not aware of all the things that happen in Anaheim, but looking at that points total stat, it looks to me that Anaheim could possibly benefit from one of the quantity for quality trades. I am not a GM though so what do I know

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:20 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Staal is going to be the rumour mill delight this year
Yup according to the Hot Stove on CBC, Staal has said the he wants more responsibility. I just hope the Oilers can grab him. He is exactly what they need in the top six.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
I will admit that I am not aware of all the things that happen in Anaheim, but looking at that points total stat,
It's a little more complicated than that.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:24 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
If there is one team that I would guess that would trade a star player for quantity it would be Anaheim. Your 6th highest scoring forward has 26 points which I believe is one of the lowest in the NHL. The people with more then 26 are Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Selanne and Koivu. Selanne and Koivu could be done any year now.

I will admit that I am not aware of all the things that happen in Anaheim, but looking at that points total stat, it looks to me that Anaheim could possibly benefit from one of the quantity for quality trades. I am not a GM though so what do I know
Anaheim has high end prospects or young guys like Fowler every where except center. I don't think anyone actually believes Hiller is not their starter. He finally started to regain form but it was a bit to late.

They may not be a contender next year but if they fix their center issue and Etem works out. They will be a contender in a few years.

They need a second line center and probably one or two other role players if their prospects pan out close to their potential.

Another trade I would be willing to do if Anaheim wants more 2nd/3rd line wingers is O'Reilly + Jone's rights for Ryan.

Mueller, Landeskog, & McGinn all have top 6 potential. (McGinn's potential is IMO but a bit of a risk, hopefully Ryan + Stastny would give us a better chance at Parise and a true 1st line.)

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 150
Can Colorado please, pretty please, stay out of this thread? We're happy with our centers. All we need to do is re-sign McClement and see what we've got in Sgarbossa/Hishon and hope Duchy returns to form this season. Stastny looked great down the stretch, O'Reilly broke out this year...

Let us be happy with our center depth for once in the past 10 years.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It's a little more complicated than that.
Fair enough My knowledge is limited when it comes to the Ducks

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

I can see why Colorado wouldn't trade Stastny for Ryan. Ryan hasn't ever proven to be better, in fact Stastny has had relatively better numbers thus far in their careers. The only reason I probably wouldn't make a Stastny for Ryan trade from an Anaheim POV is because of his contract.

Gibson Les Palms is online now   Reply With Quote