HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
11-5 maybe 10-6 (...and thats without defensive player of the year)

Ravens

Old
08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Is anyone else beginning to literally fear for Griffin?

Let's be honest here, he has not been nearly as good as NFL network/ESPN suggest. I follow a bunch of Redskins media guys on twitter and it seems like every other day I read something about his inaccuracy/incompetence in the pocket.

I'm not suggesting he's a bust or will bust, because he won't. He's going to be terrific, but with the way these networks have been dissecting his play and the media as a whole acting like he's the greatest thing since Michael Vick.. It's just not what I want as a Skins fan. Less attention please.
A lot of the media guys at the park like Campbell and Russell have been nothing but negative and should be disregarded.
Griffin is a rookie and like every rookie outside of Cam Newton he's going to have his struggles. All the elite QBs have taken a couple years to reach elite status.

I'm more worried about durability, but if he survives his first two seasons without a major injury I think he'll grow into his frame a bit more and be fine, ie Rodgers.

Old
08-15-2012, 06:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Just wow. Yeah, continue to blame everyone but the ownership. Lord knows they've earned your trust.
I'm all for bashing ownership trust me, but when you start making up garbage about "Gaming" the system....when you know damn well that's innacurate at best....

Old
08-15-2012, 07:38 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Is anyone else beginning to literally fear for Griffin?

Let's be honest here, he has not been nearly as good as NFL network/ESPN suggest. I follow a bunch of Redskins media guys on twitter and it seems like every other day I read something about his inaccuracy/incompetence in the pocket.

I'm not suggesting he's a bust or will bust, because he won't. He's going to be terrific, but with the way these networks have been dissecting his play and the media as a whole acting like he's the greatest thing since Michael Vick.. It's just not what I want as a Skins fan. Less attention please.
Way to early to say he will succeed, and way to early to say he will be a bust. He currently has 14 snaps in 1 pre-season game. The kid has a long way to go.

For the Buffalo game I could of cared less what Griffin did stat wise. I was more interested in his demeanor. How he looked in the pocket. And from what I remember of Jason Campbell as a rookie, Griffin looked like a 5 year vet.

Going forward Griffin's 3rd year will determine if he is boom or bust. By then he should be established as a bonafide NFL QB.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:41 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
11-5 maybe 10-6 (...and thats without defensive player of the year)

Ravens
With the Steelers having an O-line that makes the Skins look all-pro, and no healthy NFL caliber RB's, 11-5 is the best you have for the Crows? Also, looking forward to December 9th. 1 of the 5 losses you have for the Crows will be dished out that day.

Old
08-15-2012, 07:51 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm all for bashing ownership trust me, but when you start making up garbage about "Gaming" the system....when you know damn well that's innacurate at best....
They lost the salary cap space because why? Oh right, huge anti-Redskin conspiracy.

08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They lost the salary cap space because why? Oh right, huge anti-Redskin conspiracy.
We'll see how that collusion lawsuit turns out...starting Sept 6.

Old
08-15-2012, 08:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Way to early to say he will succeed, and way to early to say he will be a bust. He currently has 14 snaps in 1 pre-season game. The kid has a long way to go.

For the Buffalo game I could of cared less what Griffin did stat wise. I was more interested in his demeanor. How he looked in the pocket. And from what I remember of Jason Campbell as a rookie, Griffin looked like a 5 year vet.

Going forward Griffin's 3rd year will determine if he is boom or bust. By then he should be established as a bonafide NFL QB.
4th year is usually the big year...but this kid is going to be ahead of a lot of "schedules" that the normal NFL QBs are supposed to fit into...

Old
08-16-2012, 07:00 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
They made the mistake of assuming that no salary cap meant no salary cap. And they would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids..or retroactive cap restrictions that the league talked the players into signing off on because they were upset that teams were exploiting the biggest loophole in their dumb system that they put into the CBA as a poison pill negotiation motivator in the first place. I understand that the league would be upset and I understand that both Washington and Dallas were strongly encouraged not to do what they did, but I really don't understand how the league's approach to getting the players to agree to let them enforce the penalties isn't illegal.

League: "We're going to take away a lot of money from the Cowboys and Redskins"

Players: "That sounds terrible, that's less money for us."

League: "Don't worry we're going to give it to all of the other teams, so it's cool"

Players: "So it's the same amount of money, why does it matter?"

League: "Well we could just drop the cap by 7 mil for every team in the league if you guys don't want to party..."

Last edited by ColincampbellOscopy: 08-16-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old
08-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Duke33

6-10 or maybe 7-9. Too many other areas for improvement that weren't addressed. The defense is the key, if they play well, they'll be in games. If they play hideous like they did a few times (terrible Minnesota putting up 250 yards rushing for example) then they're screwed.

Oh and put Griffin in some kind of body armor. I don't know how many more times I can stand to see the Rexmeister under center.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
They made the mistake of assuming that no salary cap meant no salary cap. And they would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids..or retroactive cap restrictions that the league talked the players into signing off on because they were upset that teams were exploiting the biggest loophole in their dumb system that they put into the CBA as a poison pill negotiation motivator in the first place. I understand that the league would be upset and I understand that both Washington and Dallas were strongly encouraged not to do what they did, but I really don't understand how the league's approach to getting the players to agree to let them enforce the penalties isn't illegal.

League: "We're going to take away a lot of money from the Cowboys and Redskins"

Players: "That sounds terrible, that's less money for us."

League: "Don't worry we're going to give it to all of the other teams, so it's cool"

Players: "So it's the same amount of money, why does it matter?"

League: "Well we could just drop the cap by 7 mil for every team in the league if you guys don't want to party..."
Your head is firmly in the sand if you think the problem is that they spent too much.

The problem is that they structured contracts so that they could potentially spend too much in cap years, specifically with the intention of circumventing future caps.

Just like the NHL can veto contracts that are technically legal but intended to circumvent the cap, the NFL can take action as well.

Old
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Is that how the law works, in potentials? They spent more in the uncapped year. There was no circumvention sans the presence of the cap.

What happens when the league is found guilty of collusion? Dunno, maybe the Skins and Cowboys sue and get to use that caps space that was stolen after all?

Old
08-16-2012, 12:10 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Is that how the law works, in potentials? They spent more in the uncapped year. There was no circumvention sans the presence of the cap.

What happens when the league is found guilty of collusion? Dunno, maybe the Skins and Cowboys sue and get to use that caps space that was stolen after all?
When you collectively bargain, the law works however you agree it works.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
The CBA doesn't exempt the teams from collusion issues, though, IINM.

Old
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
The CBA doesn't exempt the teams from collusion issues, though, IINM.
Collective bargaining creates an anti-trust exemption (on the issues you've bargained). For the most part, you are wrong.

This issue is whether they agreed as owners beyond what was collectively bargained, but whether they agreed on an unspoken cap has little to do with future cap circumvention.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That's a bit simplistic even for a lawyer.

Isn't collusion between competitors (in this case each NFL franchise) illegal as it creates a unfair marketplace and eliminates competition? From what I've read, that's why Doty is going to listen to arguments regardless of what's been collectively bargained.

EDIT: It appears as though the NFLPA is saying this claim wasn't pending at the time of the CBA and therefor isn't covered by the CBA. You can't negotiate an issue that hasn't come up yet.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 08-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old
08-16-2012, 01:52 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I thought the league was treated as a cartel but that the teams weren't immune from antitrust measures between each other. But I guess the terms of the CBA would require certain exemptions.

Old
08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.nflcollusion.com/

Old
08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
With the Steelers having an O-line that makes the Skins look all-pro, and no healthy NFL caliber RB's, 11-5 is the best you have for the Crows? Also, looking forward to December 9th. 1 of the 5 losses you have for the Crows will be dished out that day.
Cool... Keep hoping for your 8 wins in a season

Old
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Cool... Keep hoping for your 8 wins in a season
You got me there, but the worm MIGHT be a turning for the Skins. Potential franchise QB, promising young talent at RB, WR, DL, LB, etc... No garuntee the Skins will crawl out of their two decade long hole, but for the first time since Brad Johnson was QB there appears to be a small light at the end of the tunnel for us Skins fans.

How bout the Crows? Ray Ray and Reed can't play forever, and an achilles injury is tough to come all the way back from for an edge pass rusher like Suggs. Nagata has been playing at a very high level for a while at a very physically demanding position, how long can he keep it up? The defense is the calling card for the Crows, who is next man up? We will find out this year. On the offensive side, outside Rice and Smith the rest of the "stars" are meh.

You better hope the Crows push threw to the SB soon.

Old
08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Cush
-inator

Orakpo hurt

Old
08-18-2012, 08:27 PM
WetHog

Just got caught up with the game. Wake up game for Griffin. He's done some good things, but he has looked like a rookie a lot tonight. Playing the Bears defense doesn't help either.

Alfred Morris is the only bright spot I've seen so far. Kid runs hard.

I also do not miss Jason Campbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Orakpo hurt
Sprained shoulder is what they are reporting on the sidelines. I was worried he tore a pectoral muscle when I saw him rolling around. Only being a sprain would be good, but it will nag him the rest of the season probably playing OLB. Means more Rob Morris, which is ok because Morris is a good player.

Merriweather is troubling as well. Sprained knee is the report, but sprains have a way of turning into torn ACL's the day after. Got my fingers crossed its only a sprain, because if its not that means a healthy dose of Doughty.

All in all, so far, Griffin growing pains and two starters on defense hurt. I hate pre-season.

*edit*

Can a MOD find out how long these Transformer ads are running please? Very annoying.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Just got caught up with the game. Wake up game for Griffin. He's done some good things, but he has looked like a rookie a lot tonight. Playing the Bears defense doesn't help either.

Alfred Morris is the only bright spot I've seen so far. Kid runs hard.

I also do not miss Jason Campbell.

Sprained shoulder is what they are reporting on the sidelines. I was worried he tore a pectoral muscle when I saw him rolling around. Only being a sprain would be good, but it will nag him the rest of the season probably playing OLB. Means more Rob Morris, which is ok because Morris is a good player.

Merriweather is troubling as well. Sprained knee is the report, but sprains have a way of turning into torn ACL's the day after. Got my fingers crossed its only a sprain, because if its not that means a healthy dose of Doughty.

All in all, so far, Griffin growing pains and two starters on defense hurt. I hate pre-season.

*edit*

Can a MOD find out how long these Transformer ads are running please? Very annoying.
Very bad effort tonight for the starters. Cutler did whatever he wanted and the Bears starters scored on all 3 of their drives. The offense did nothing except for a couple nice Morris runs. Redskins FG came on a very generous pass interference call.

You gotta love Theismann the homer though, talking about how the Redskins were playing better, got hit in the mouth and were coming back, but doesn't mention the Bears pulled their starters two series previous.

Now even Jason Campbell as 100+ yards passing lol.

Old
08-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Cedric Griffin is awful. The combo of inexperienced OL/QB is pretty bad, too.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:50 PM
WetHog

Yes poor effort. Wake up call

Cousins did look sharp on that TD drive.

CUT GROSMAN!!!

Closed Thread