HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2012, 03:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Uh oh...Moss and Paul getting PR/KR time....testing to see how life without Banks would be, or just tinkering?

Old
08-26-2012, 09:53 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I was thrilled to see Moss get a touch. I still wish Gibbs would have "risked" him more - not even a sniff in a playoff loss. I think its bunk that PR is more dangerous than say taking 5 quick slants right into the Mike or SS game after game. ARE never got injured. Of course he just fell down heh.

THT was on coverage teams.

I didnt like seeing III hesitating to get up after getting blind sided after throwing. But he popped up and seemed no worse for wear. I predict our defense will for yet another year in a row, get far less or no unblocked free shots at opposition QB's, than our OL surrenders.

I cant give our OL a good grade when they let that happen. Almost every game someone is free on our QB. III will not be a pocket passer long unless we shore up our protection. To me, protecting the QB is priority 1 for OL. Probably a missed assignment, but then I want smarter OL and less so zone blocking experts.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Skins need to get from 90 to 75 players by 4pm today. First cut, Neil Rackers. We get Gano for 1 more year.

Also, Jammal Brown underwent surgery on his right hip last Thur. Will be out 4-6 weeks and start season on the PUP list. Supposedly he hopes to be ready to play mid season. Not going to hold my breath on that one.

Old
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Pretty amazing that Russell Wilson won out over Matt Flynn in Seattle.

Old
08-27-2012, 04:23 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Wilson being named the starter is a great success story. Not really surprised by it though. He was a two sport player at NC State, and he stepped right into a starting role at Wisconsin. The kid is the real deal no matter how tall he is.

And bummer to read my AA County Boy done good Kevin Barnes getting traded to the Lions. Won't say I am surprised though. The kid had every opportunity to lock down the #3 CB spot the last 2 years and couldn't.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...24821312339968
Quote:
Redskins making another change at kicker: Washington is signing former Ravens kicker Billy Cundiff. From Baltimore to Washington.
Should Gano be scared?

Old
08-28-2012, 08:31 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Oh no bye bye Gano. I wanted change at K. He had his chance. I don't trust his preseason resume. Look at last year when he was under pressure. Didn't he miss the most kicks in the league? I think he may have been blocked the most but also think those were pinned on others.

When he kicks off diagonally just into the endzone, I presume he is doing that deliberately. If so, it sure seems we are the only team to bother risking kicking it out of bounds, and kicking it shallow.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 08-28-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Gano Gonzo
Old
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Really not understanding what is going on with the kicker situation for the Skins. Have a 2-3 week competition between Gano and Rackers, then cut both to sign a guy like Cundiff that can't make a 32 yard FG in the AFC Championship game when it matters? If Gano was to be cut I wish the Skins kept Rackers. Signing Cundiff is a lateral move not an upgrade. Just odd.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah I don't like the retread kicker move. Might as well have stuck with Gano.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:33 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Pretty amazing that Russell Wilson won out over Matt Flynn in Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Wilson being named the starter is a great success story. Not really surprised by it though. He was a two sport player at NC State, and he stepped right into a starting role at Wisconsin. The kid is the real deal no matter how tall he is.

And bummer to read my AA County Boy done good Kevin Barnes getting traded to the Lions. Won't say I am surprised though. The kid had every opportunity to lock down the #3 CB spot the last 2 years and couldn't.
FWIW I read that Flynn's elbow issue is worse than expected, so maybe that's some of the reasoning.

If it's me, I take the guy who had two great regular season games against top opponents instead of a rookie who looked good in pre-season, but Wilson has looked good no doubt...

Old
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Yeah, would have preferred Rackers to Cundiff as well. Perhaps even Gano to Cundiff. Gano missed a ton last year, but five were blocks and four of the other five were from 49 or longer. A bit of a raw deal. But still would have preferred Rackers to him.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

WTOP tells me Cooley has been released.

08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
WTOP tells me Cooley has been released.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Peter King on Cundy 2 days ago

Quote:
The best kicking leg in the league: whacked. You can look it up. Over the past two years, Billy Cundiff is a 90 percent field goal kicker inside the 50 (53 of 59), and no other kicker averaged more yards per kickoff (69.5) or had more touchbacks than his 84. But the Ravens, bugged more by his 1-of-7 from 50-plus in the last two seasons than his crucial miss in the AFC title game last January, cut him Sunday. They prefer to save $1.5 million on the cap and go with a four-year kickoff man from the University of Texas, Justin Tucker. Risky move for a Super Bowl contender.
Kickers are classic easy come easy go. Gano was just another one to pass through town. Gano choked vs Dallas and Green Bay

Old
08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Bye Cooley....sad to see you go, but I saw it coming.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:32 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Cooley clearly had slowed down. The move to FB was the writing on the wall for those that didn't notice. It's the right time. He will be a beat reporter for us one day.

Who is our #2 pass catching TE? I imagine it's Paul but I actually think Paulson has better hands. Paul has a long ways to be to mentioned in the same sentence as Shannon Sharpe again, any time soon.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:39 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Cooley being cut isn't a surprise. Him playing FB was an attempt to justify keeping that salary around. In the end it didn't work out. Better to cut him now to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere. And the door is open for him to return at backup money.

Paulson is #2 and he is a good backup. Kid has a chance to be solid and gives Paul the chance to develop and play special teams as the #3 TE.

Old
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

I remember when he first came, the days before he got hurt. Was never the same after that

Good luck to him

Old
08-28-2012, 05:10 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Its funny to read and listen to the coverage of Cooley getting released. All the talk centers around Sleepy and Niles Paul moving forward. No mention of the development of Logan Paulson.

The emergence of Paulson as a viable #2 TE made the release of Cooley possible. Had nothing to do with Niles Paul.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's be real...it had everything to do with him losing his job to Davis and his cap hit. Nothing else. Backup tight ends are easily found.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

I disagree. If Cooley's cap hit was a big factor Cooley would of been cut when the Skins were hit with that BS 36 mil cap penalty. Paulson has proven to be a very good #2 TE. If Paulson doesn't step up Cooley sticks around.

Old
08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

The Redskins have a very good backup. In case of injury, Call up

TOUCHDOWN

REDSKINS HELU

YES

Old
08-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Redskins looking good in preseason again, but curious to see if this success can carry over into the regular season. REdskins offense was explosive today, putting up at least 30 points, and QB play was very solid from Cousins.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:34 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

The only thing I took from tonight is that the Skins #2's and #3's are better than the Bucs #2's and #3's.

Cousins looks like a keeper and Banks showed a little on the offensive side. Enough to get a spot on the 53? Based on Shanahan's comments on Banks after the game I am not so sure. But it is good as a fan to see tough decisions made on roster moves. Instead of looking over scraps from other teams pre-season cuts.

Old
08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I disagree. If Cooley's cap hit was a big factor Cooley would of been cut when the Skins were hit with that BS 36 mil cap penalty. Paulson has proven to be a very good #2 TE. If Paulson doesn't step up Cooley sticks around.
They didn't need to make that move then and clearly the Skins wanted to see if Cooley could work out at HB. Also possible that the Skins were hoping for some compensation if someone came knocking on their door about Cooley deep into camp when the roster competitions around the league are finishing up.

Paulson is barely relevant in the decision. Sleepy Davis is penciled in as the fulltime TE and there's no more two TE offense in play.

If Paulson does anything more than spell Davis in an injury scenario or the occasional play here or there, I would be surprised. If the regular season starts and Paulson is getting significant time, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Closed Thread