HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I have to admit, as a long time fan and a long time hater of the Snyder regime, Im actually looking forward to this season.

It could also be my free subscription to the Sunday Ticket package on DirecTV along with the freshly mounted 47" Sony hanging in my basement.
As a Skins fan, without a doubt the most anticipated season in what, 15 years, 20?

Sad when you think of it like that.

And I'm finally hopping back on the Sunday Ticket. I cancelled a few years ago when they wanted to charge for HD. Really stuck in my craw so I cancelled. Good to see prices have dropped to.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
If he's dumb as a doorknob yeah missing time hurts.

Otherwise, camp is long and grueling and I believe is from the old school, to get players into game shape. Now, they are all in shape already. The main thing from camp to me is to exit it injury free.

Camp is far too long unless you are rolling out a new offense with noobs galore, and teaching every receiver how to beat press man. Look at last season, OTA free. Were you any less entertained this past fall because of it?

Hell the scabs with 3 weeks of practice entertained me just fine. Poor Randy White.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
And I'm finally hopping back on the Sunday Ticket. I cancelled a few years ago when they wanted to charge for HD. Really stuck in my craw so I cancelled. Good to see prices have dropped to.
I think they are lowering it and giving it away for free to noobs to help keep subscriber numbers up, I think. Im fine with the free for this season, I'll see if I want to keep it for next year. And yeah, the Redzone channel is really the catch. That one kinda renders the total package obsolete.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Big picture, will be forgotten in no time. We already know Griffin was doing a TON of offseason work with and without the team.
Do we? A lot has been "reported", but those reports came from team sources.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Camp is far too long unless you are rolling out a new offense with noobs galore, and teaching every receiver how to beat press man. Look at last season, OTA free. Were you any less entertained this past fall because of it.
What about a rookie QB that is making the transition from a college spread offense to a pro West Coast Offense? Griffin will need all the reps and studing he can get.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
What about a rookie QB that is making the transition from a college spread offense to a pro West Coast Offense? Griffin will need all the reps and studing he can get.
So getting reps...without an actual starting offense or defense on the field...for two days...is going to make a difference?

Old
07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think great professional football players, like great hockey players, need countless hours of practice to play great.

In fact, overloading a kid can be counter productive. Think Jason Campbell trying to digest Al Saunders 800 page playbook. A year later, they dumbed it down to 400 pages.

I remember the Gruden video with 3 design plays - very impressive how quick he picked up on things.

It's not always about sheer reps, it's what you do with them. Again, what is most important, is health. There is a proper balance of practice risk and practice reward.

I believe traditional camp has been for getting players into shape. That ship has sailed, they are in shape. Or in Laron Landry's case, too much shape.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

From Extreme Skins... Arrest rates of the NFC East teams since 2000

Number of player arrests
Cowboys: 12
Giants: 12
Eagles: 10
Redskins: 18

The Skins' List of Dubiousness is as follows:

See Fred Davis in bold... what a character!

Mike Sellers - Arrested and charged with DUI in Arlington, Va. (found guilty)
Dana Stubblefield - Arrested at home on assault charge against wife (dropped)

Bruce Smith - Charged with driving under the influence of alcohol (acquitted)
Jermaine Haley - Arrested for driving under the influence and causing property damage (pleaded no contest)

Sean Taylor - Arrested for driving under the influence and refusing a breathalyzer test (acquitted)
Sean Taylor - Arrested for felony aggravated assault with a firearm (pleaded no contest)

Ataveus Cash (who?) - Arrested, charged with driving without license (paid fine)

Kili Lefotu - Charged with being drunk in public, destruction of property and simple assault

Albert Haynesworth - Surrendered after indictment on misdemeanor reckless driving and expired registration charges (pleaded no contest)

Chad Rinehart - Arrested on charge of public intoxication in Cedar Falls, Iowa (found guilty)
Byron Westbrook - Arrested on suspicion of DUI just before 2 a.m. in Maryland (acquitted)
Fred Davis - Pulled over for going 52 mph in 35-mph zone, charged with driving with a suspended license (pleaded guilty)
Fred Davis - Charged with driving with a suspended license, falsely identifying himself to law enforcement (pleaded guilty)
Fred Davis - Charged with misdemeanor reckless driving/driving 20 mph over speed limit
Joe Joseph - Arrested on suspicion of DUI after being pulled over around 3 a.m.

Albert Haynesworth - Charged with assault. Police say it was a road rage case (not arrested)
Albert Haynesworth - Grand jury indicts him, charges him with misdemeanor sexual abuse

Brandon Meriweather - Arrested on suspicion of DUI after being pulled over for speeding

Old
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
So getting reps...without an actual starting offense or defense on the field...for two days...is going to make a difference?
If it doesn't make a difference why have a rookie camp? And the new CBA has neutered teams and coaches when it comes to what players can do in practice. These days practice is nothing but skelton drills in shorts and T-shirts. But reps will help Griffin out a lot. Practicing certain plays over and over and over until things are 2nd nature are key. Especially when it comes to taking snaps from under center. Griffin didn't do that a lot, if at all, at Baylor. As a former college center I can tell you its a big deal to practice the center/QB exchange. Griffin should have his hand up Montgomery's butt so much Griffin's hand will smell like sweaty ass.

Sorry for being a little ***** about Griffin's 2 day sort of holdout. Just looking back Shuler, Ramsey, and Campbell all held out, and we know how they worked out. So I just want the kid signed and in camp working out and learning what he needs to learn.

Old
07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Griffin should have his hand up Montgomery's butt so much Griffin's hand will smell like sweaty ass.
He's not even there...its rookie camp.

Quote:
Sorry for being a little ***** about Griffin's 2 day sort of holdout. Just looking back Shuler, Ramsey, and Campbell all held out, and we know how they worked out. So I just want the kid signed and in camp working out and learning what he needs to learn.
All three of those guys held out of training camp, not this rookie nonsense.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
He's not even there...its rookie camp.

All three of those guys held out of training camp, not this rookie nonsense.
Tired of going around in circles with you. I've said all I need to say on this topic.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Tired of going around in circles with you. I've said all I need to say on this topic.
Its ok to admit your overreacting.

Old
07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Its ok to admit your overreacting.
Well I did apologize for being a little ***** about this, so I already did that.

Griffin needs to work out for this team. Period. So yeah I am worked up over it. Past experience says for me to be skeptical of Griffin working out, and I am. But with all the picks tied up in this kid, meh nevermind.

And LeRiebus has signed. He is on 980 right now.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Cush
-inator

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...VuW_story.html

Quote:
Griffin, the second overall choice in the NFL draft in April, missed two days of conditioning workouts and classroom work for Redskins rookies this week. But he didn’t miss any practice time. Redskins veterans report to training camp next Wednesday and the opening practice of camp is scheduled for next Thursday.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Well I did apologize for being a little ***** about this, so I already did that.

Griffin needs to work out for this team. Period. So yeah I am worked up over it. Past experience says for me to be skeptical of Griffin working out, and I am. But with all the picks tied up in this kid, meh nevermind.

Honestly in the grand scheme of things does a couple days really make a huge difference..who knows. Unfortunately for him, he's already been set up for failure by all the super-hyping that has gone on with him for the last six-plus months. So every little thing like this is going to be scrutinized.

I mean for a guy that few people really knew about until maybe early November last year, suddenly this kid has been hyped to the point where he's the perfect athlete, perfect QB for Shanahan's system, he's big, strong, fast....he's extremely smart so he'll pick up the playbook in a week...all that nonsense. So of he doesn't come out vs. New Orleans and throw for 600 yards and five TDs people will complain. Some writer will shriek it's because he missed those two days....

Old
07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Deep breaths Wethog. This kid is going to do just fine.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:14 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Deep breaths Wethog. This kid is going to do just fine.
He certainly has the tempermant that suggests he will be just fine, but like what Molseed said above, the hype surrounding this kid is out of control. Thats what I fear. This kid crumbling under unrealistic expectations.

On the flip side though, Shanallenhan did draft Cousins for insurance.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The expectation is that he leads this team to the Superbowl, but not tomorrow. This guy seems so poised and polished. I don't see him collapsing under heavy expectations.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
The expectation is that he leads this team to the Superbowl, but not tomorrow. This guy seems so poised and polished. I don't see him collapsing under heavy expectations.
Always comes down to injuries especially with a good running QB. Just hope he finds a good balance and protects himself in a smart manner when he does take off.

07-20-2012, 07:26 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Unneeded reps in practice can lead to injuries as well. A freak knee injury is more likely to occur with sheer reps, versus say a concussion. And not every player needs the same amount of practice, yet they all get about the same. Do Fletcher Cooley Grossman or Moss need 2 months or practice? Defense especially, since its far simpler than offense.

I believe running QB's get less protection from refs which would tend to lead to more violent hits. Remember Brady sliding and Fletch getting flagged. Rypien is a part of the concussion lawsuit, and he could barely ever make it out of the pocket. Flash back to when he did a globetrotters move rolling the ball behind his back on a scramble lol. What a character.

These non running QB's are so awkward and vulnerable perhaps the refs feel bad for them and throw flags which does deter some stuff. But when they finally do get hit, they get walloped pretty good. It's too easy to hit them. Think of Philip Daniels slow as molasses catching Peyton slower than molasses, and bending him in half, tearing up his neck.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old
07-20-2012, 08:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Always comes down to injuries especially with a good running QB. Just hope he finds a good balance and protects himself in a smart manner when he does take off.
Without a doubt injuries are a concern, but this guy is a pass first guy unlike a guy like Vick. Still, it's likely he'll get dinged up from time to time.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:45 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Becoming a Redskin: Robert Griffin III's journey from Texas to Washington

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...CyW_story.html

The WaPost has a 5 page story on Griffin up now on there site. Definetly worth a read. Here are some of my highlights:

-The Redskins had drafted another quarterback, Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, in April, a decision widely criticized by analysts on ESPN and the NFL Network, but it gave Griffin a natural study partner.

During much of May, the rookies roomed together at a suites hotel a mile and a half from Redskins Park, where they spent most of their evenings in their living room, on opposite sides of a coffee table, poring over their playbooks and taking nightly quizzes.

-On the practice field, the first thing Griffin would do after running every play — from the simplest hand-off to the most complex throw — was to confer briefly with Kyle Shanahan, who would ask Griffin what he saw: What coverage was the defense in? Where were the safeties? Did all your receivers run the right routes?

The Shanahans appeared genuinely stunned by Griffin’s aptitude. Mike Shanahan noted the lack of a single busted play or wrong formation during the entire three-day rookie camp — Griffin’s first practices under the Redskins’ scheme.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had that [happen] in any minicamps I’ve been involved in,” he said. “. . . Very few people can take as much verbiage. It’s like learning a new language. Some people are able to pick it up very quickly and [others can’t]. Robert was able to pick it up very quickly, and it showed on the field
.”

-The hectic schedule had some people close to Griffin wondering whether he was spreading himself too thin, but he promised them it wasn’t too much and insisted the marketing engine would shut down once training camp started. The goal was partly financial. Griffin hoped to live for the year off his sponsorship income, which could reach seven figures for someone with his national appeal, and put all his Redskins earnings — more than $14 million in bonus and salary — in savings.

-Theirs was a highly typical house-hunting experience for new transplants to the Washington metro area, characterized first and foremost by sticker shock.

“Robert’s a very frugal kid,” his father said. “He was shocked [by the prices]. He called me — they were looking at a place, following the [Redskins’ suggestions]. And that harsh reality — everyone who knows him knows he’s not going to be some guy spending wildly. But he had to make a choice, and he felt it was important to be close to the [Redskins] facility, so he did it.

“I want him to live at middle class. Now, the rent he’s gonna pay is not middle class, but his expenditures away from the rent will be. And that’s important to me. If I see something I don’t like, he’s gonna get it from me.”

Well after reading this article I feel a bit better about this Griffin kid working out.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:10 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

LaRon Landry will start training camp on the PUP list

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-pup-list/

Shocker

Old
07-23-2012, 10:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Griffin will be the consumate pro IMO Wethog....not worried at all. Very grounded and super family support.

Old
07-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

RGIII has been getting more grooming and practice time than pretty much any pick in the recent history for any team. He's been getting study and practice time since before the draft itself.

Missing a lot of time didn't hurt a few of the QBs last year. It's down to the player and cast around him more than 2 days

Closed Thread