HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Roster Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2012, 01:45 PM
nhljohnson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I actually came here to see what the fans thought about this b/c I think it's a good possibility.
Why? Merely because he may be available come 7/1?

Really, I'd love to see it happen, but I'll be surprised if he's not playing for one of the Flyers, Penguins, Capitals, Rangers, Red Wings or Blackhawks next season.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I never liked him but I actually think hed be an ok top 6 guy on our team. I dont see it though because I think he will be out of the price range.

Old
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

No thanks.

Old
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

meh, don't think Yzerman wants him

Old
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
LightningStrikes

So, apparently Justin Schultz is allowed to talk to teams two days after the draft (unless the Ducks sign him before then) as he de-registered from school on May 25...

Old
06-19-2012, 05:13 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
So, apparently Justin Schultz is allowed to talk to teams two days after the draft (unless the Ducks sign him before then) as he de-registered from school on May 25...
Yes. This was confirmed a few weeks ago. He can negotiate with any team then but cannot officially sign until July 1.

Old
06-19-2012, 07:11 PM
IdealisticSniper

Shero has pretty much confirmed he is going to trade a defenseman or two before the season.

Obviously everyone wants to trade Martin, and while as a player I think he would help us, with the contract he has I have to say no, especially if giving something in return.

Obvious choices would be Letang and Orpik, as they would both be instant boosts to our blueline in different ways. Highly unlikely either is moved, and if they are, Im sure it would be a lot going the other way.

That leaves Lovejoy, Engelland, and Niskanen(still needs a contract).

I dont want Lovejoy, would be neutral on Engelland, and Niskanen is an interesting option.

Thoughts?

Old
06-19-2012, 07:38 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Shero has pretty much confirmed he is going to trade a defenseman or two before the season.

Obviously everyone wants to trade Martin, and while as a player I think he would help us, with the contract he has I have to say no, especially if giving something in return.

Obvious choices would be Letang and Orpik, as they would both be instant boosts to our blueline in different ways. Highly unlikely either is moved, and if they are, Im sure it would be a lot going the other way.

That leaves Lovejoy, Engelland, and Niskanen(still needs a contract).

I dont want Lovejoy, would be neutral on Engelland, and Niskanen is an interesting option.

Thoughts?
You forgot Michalek. He might actually be a good option. He plays a solid defensive game and is a righty. He's nothing special in the skating or puck moving department, but he's not terrible at it either. He might be a good complimentary player for Hedman.

I honestly think Martin might be a good route. For what he could potentially bring, he will probably come pretty cheap (in terms of a trade). I don't think his salary will be an issue either, his cap hit is 5mil for 3more years. That's not terrible for a top4 defensemen and we'll probably offset any overpayment with how little we'll be paying our goalies during the duration of his contract (~2.5mil total for Lindback/Garon).

I'm really not all that familiar with Niskanen except that he skates well and is a righty. I think he's more of a #4/#5 guy right now with good top 4 potential. If SY thinks he can play top pairing minutes with Hedman(doubtful) then great, but at this point he might just be a slightly more developed version of Lee/Aulie(potential top 4 guys).

Letang is obviously off limits and I don't think Orpik would do any better in our system than Martin would (probably worse, actually). Orpik is probably off limits too.

IMO Lovejoy and Engelland would be redundant as they are no more than bottom pairing guys (which we have enough of).

So yes to:
Martin
Michalek

Maybe:
Orpik
Niskanen

No:
Engelland
Lovejoy

Not applicable:
Letang

Old
06-19-2012, 07:43 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
You forgot Michalek. He might actually be a good option. He plays a solid defensive game and is a righty. He's nothing special in the skating or puck moving department, but he's not terrible at it either. He might be a good complimentary player for Hedman.

I honestly think Martin might be a good route. For what he could potentially bring, he will probably come pretty cheap (in terms of a trade). I don't think his salary will be an issue either, his cap hit is 5mil for 3more years. That's not terrible for a top4 defensemen and we'll probably offset any overpayment with how little we'll be paying our goalies during the duration of his contract (~2.5mil total for Lindback/Garon).

I'm really not all that familiar with Niskanen except that he skates well and is a righty. I think he's more of a #4/#5 guy right now with good top 4 potential. If SY thinks he can play top pairing minutes with Hedman(doubtful) then great, but at this point he might just be a slightly more developed version of Lee/Aulie(potential top 4 guys).

Letang is obviously off limits and I don't think Orpik would do any better in our system than Martin would (probably worse, actually). Orpik is probably off limits too.

IMO Lovejoy and Engelland would be redundant as they are no more than bottom pairing guys (which we have enough of).

So yes to:
Martin
Michalek

Maybe:
Orpik
Niskanen

No:
Engelland
Lovejoy

Not applicable:
Letang
The funny thing is Michalek is one of the guys I thought would be a good fit. And yet I completely forgot him haha.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
The funny thing is Michalek is one of the guys I thought would be a good fit. And yet I completely forgot him haha.
You just assumed we already traded for him eh?

His contract is pretty good too. (4mil per yr for 3 more years)

I doubt Pitt moves him though, from what I can tell it will probably be Martin/Lovejoy on the block.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:40 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I did a mockup of our current roster in capgeek, to get an idea of what we need and how much space we have. I of course had to guess on what our current RFAs are going to make, so I overestimated just in case. (I gave Lindback the same as Garon, and Lee/Aulie/Mikk 1mil)

Teddy Purcell ($2.363m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Brett Connolly ($1.633m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.600m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m) / J.T. Brown ($1.350m)
Adam Hall ($0.650m) / J.T. Wyman ($0.600m) / Dana Tyrell ($0.600m)

Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Eric Brewer ($3.875m)
Keith Aulie ($1.000m) / Brian Lee ($1.000m)
Brendan Mikkelson ($1.000m) / Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.000m)
Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m) /

Anders Lindback ($1.300m)
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

BUYOUTS
Vinny Prospal ($1.167m)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,296,916; BONUSES: $1,600,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $17,003,084
http://capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster.php?id=7176

With a salary cap of ~70mil, we have ~ 17mil worth of cap space. It might be safe to assume that with the new CBA coming up, Yzerman might not want to go over the current cap of 64.3mil (11mil of cap space) just in case the cap doesn't go up.

Needs:
3rd line center
3rd line LW
Top pairing defenseman
2nd pairing defenseman

I'd like to see what you guys can come up with to fill those needs. Bonus points if you can stay under the current cap of 64.3 and keep from putting Ohlund on LTIR.

I'll start:
3rd line center: Jarret Stoll - 4mil
3rd line LW: Cory Conacher - 925K
Top pairing D: Paul Martin - 5mil *traded for using picks/prospects
2nd pairing D: Rotation of Lee/Aulie/Mik, promote Gudas - 750k

Cap added: 10.675mil

Old
06-20-2012, 10:25 AM
LightningStrikes

Conacher on the 3rd line... I don't know. Is it worth it? I mean, Connolly played on our 3rd line more often than not but had he been eligible to play in the AHL I'm sure management would rather have had him play top-6 minutes there, too. IMO, it's top-6 or AHL for Conacher.

I kinda hope we re-sign Moore but he might have different things than hockey on his mind right now so who knows. Stoll deserves a raise and I'm not sure Yzerman would be willing to sign him at around $4 million as we'd be spending more than $30 million on just six forwards (Vinny, Stammer, Marty, Malone, Stoll, Purcell). I'd rather spend that kind of money on our defense. Also, Purcell needs a new contract (which will probably include a raise) at the end of next season and Stoll won't sign for just one year.

Other 3rd line center alternatives (UFAs): Arnott, Gaustad, Carter (NJ), McClement, Morrison.

Since Jackman was just re-signed by the Blues I'd like to see someone like Allen or Rozsival on our blueline. Of course, if there's any chance, we should try and sign Carle. As for PMD / offensive defenseman, I might be in the minority around here but Wideman is still on my wish list. Not very likely but do want: Suter, Salvador, Garrison, Schultz.

Old
06-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Quote:
Stoll deserves a raise and I'm not sure Yzerman would be willing to sign him at around $4 million as we'd be spending more than $30 million...
Per ESPN, Contract talks between the Kings and Jarret Stoll are progressing and an agreement could be reached within a week.
Quote:
Other 3rd line center alternatives (UFAs): Arnott, Gaustad, Carter (NJ), McClement, Morrison.
Arnott and Morrison are old, Gaustad is slow, Carter and McClement are 4th liners than 3rd liners IMO.

From FA defensemans, Salvador is old too and he is looking for three-year deal. I'd prefer to get D-man via trade: Leopold, Michalek, Martin etc.

Old
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Conacher on the 3rd line... I don't know. Is it worth it? I mean, Connolly played on our 3rd line more often than not but had he been eligible to play in the AHL I'm sure management would rather have had him play top-6 minutes there, too. IMO, it's top-6 or AHL for Conacher.
I get what you're saying, I was iffy about it too. Conacher and Connolly are different players though, Conacher is more defensively responsible than Connolly was and plays a bit more aggressive too.

One of the Lightnings problems this season was secondary scoring. The top 6 put up plenty of points, but we got very little from our bottom 6. Having a guy like Conacher on the 3rd line could help that out a lot.

We could always flip Conacher/Malone between the 2nd and 3rd line, depending on the situation.

Quote:
I kinda hope we re-sign Moore but he might have different things than hockey on his mind right now so who knows. Stoll deserves a raise and I'm not sure Yzerman would be willing to sign him at around $4 million as we'd be spending more than $30 million on just six forwards (Vinny, Stammer, Marty, Malone, Stoll, Purcell). I'd rather spend that kind of money on our defense. Also, Purcell needs a new contract (which will probably include a raise) at the end of next season and Stoll won't sign for just one year.

Yeah, I'm with you on Moore. I would love to have him back, and usually pencil him in as our 3rd line center when I do roster mockups. I just used Stoll to change things up a bit.

Quote:
Since Jackman was just re-signed by the Blues I'd like to see someone like Allen or Rozsival on our blueline. Of course, if there's any chance, we should try and sign Carle. As for PMD / offensive defenseman, I might be in the minority around here but Wideman is still on my wish list. Not very likely but do want: Suter, Salvador, Garrison, Schultz.
I wouldn't complain if we got Allen/Rozsival/Wideman, they would certainly be an upgrade.

Suter/Garrison would be nice, but are going to be tough to get.

I'm not sold on Salvador/Schultz.

Anyone consider Jay Bouwmeester if he can be had for a cheap trade?(I'm only half joking)

Old
06-20-2012, 12:54 PM
HoseEmDown

Anyone consider Angelidis or Smith for a bottom 6 C spot, they looked good in leading us to the Calder cup. They are younger and slightly bigger than Moore. If we have CC on 3rd line we'd need a little bit of size. They also would be fairly cheap and give us more cap flexability to improve D. I'm one for giving our younger players first crack at a position than going straight to free agency.

Old
06-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Anyone consider Jay Bouwmeester if he can be had for a cheap trade?(I'm only half joking)
I know he gets a lot of beating in this boards but he's someone who could help this team.

There's one but though, a very big one, CAP

Old
06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
I know he gets a lot of beating in this boards but he's someone who could help this team.

There's one but though, a very big one, CAP
Yeah, his cap hit is too high. Fortunately it's only for 2 more seasons though. If Calgary is planning on trading him, and we can get him for a steal, we might as well. We have quite a bit of cap space, even with Ohlund not on LTIR.

If San Jose is trying to get Rick Nash, they might be looking to offload Dan Boyle's contract (Basically the same as JBo's). He might be an option too.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
zeykshade

Jay-Bouw is playoff poison. He can stay as far away from Tampa as physically possible.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:51 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Jay-Bouw is playoff poison. He can stay as far away from Tampa as physically possible.
He's never played in the playoffs...

Unless you mean he is the reason Florida and Calgary didn't make the playoffs in the years he's been with them, which I find hard to believe.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
He's never played in the playoffs...

Unless you mean he is the reason Florida and Calgary didn't make the playoffs in the years he's been with them, which I find hard to believe.
He may not be the reason but he's never played in the post season at any level. Teams he was on, then leaves, make the playoffs. He's a jinx.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
He may not be the reason but he's never played in the post season at any level. Teams he was on, then leaves, make the playoffs. He's a jinx.
Well, he did play 18 games in AHL playoffs.

I don't believe in jinxes. If a good player can be had at a good price, I say go for it.

Old
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Took a good while for the Panthers to make the playoffs after he left. That is one hell of a jinx.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
MrMcGz

Anyone interested in signing Kuba again to play with Brewer on the second line? Is he an upgrade over Lee, Mikkelson or Aulie? May be had for a decent contract...good partner with Karlsson last year.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:49 AM
LightningStrikes

Lightning roundtable - off-season priorities with Peckham, Chief, Mishkin: http://video.lightning.nhl.com/video...=791&id=181841

Old
06-21-2012, 06:08 AM
kisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
Anyone interested in signing Kuba again to play with Brewer on the second line? Is he an upgrade over Lee, Mikkelson or Aulie? May be had for a decent contract...good partner with Karlsson last year.
Everyone is upgrade over AHLer Mikkelson.

Closed Thread