HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Roster Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 02:38 PM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberioTheBarbarian View Post
I would not be suprised to see Namestnikov as the 3rd line center
No. Not even close to ready.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:12 PM
HotPaquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
No. Not even close to ready.
Judging from?

Old
07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Judging from?
Watching him play.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Can't see that, he's not ready yet

Old
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if he was. He needs to put on more size and get used to playing against men. I think Angeledis or Smith have a better chance than Vladdy, not saying he's not good just not yet.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
HotPaquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'd be very surprised if he was. He needs to put on more size and get used to playing against men. I think Angeledis or Smith have a better chance than Vladdy, not saying he's not good just not yet.
Smith signed with Pitt

Old
07-08-2012, 05:45 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

Quote:
I would. Best thing for him to do is join Cooper and the Crunch and start from there. He's not physically ready yet like centermen Wilson, Killorn, and Angelidis are.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:42 PM
OG Kuch

We may end up icing the softest team in hockey at the beginning of the season, especially our defense if Aulie doesn't dress. With Hall back and the competition for the last forward spots likely to be won by young talent within the organization, it looks like there isn't much room for more size and toughness. Then again, Boucher talked the other day about wanting or adding more size up front, so I'll be curious to see what our lineup looks like when the season rolls around.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

So jerseys, Tokarski, now softness.

We're 3 for 3 today.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post

We're 3 for 3 today.
Somehow I knew this wouldn't get by you...

Old
07-09-2012, 03:09 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
In Garth I Trust

Quote:

We're 3 for 3 today.
You do realize fans are going to be critical of the team right?

And saw your other stellar post, just something to let you know champ, I will hate the jerseys 20 years from now. Just because it's been a year doesn't make them suck less. Maybe some people become complacent over time. I don't, I stand by my distaste, it won't change, stop trying.

The Alaskan Assassin has a good point. I felt even at times with Downie in the lineup our team was getting bullied. Labrie brought some grit to this team that we need. I'm a huge fan of the tough guy 4th liner. We never should have lost big Z. His faceoff % was exceptional and I love the intangibles he brought. He could win faceoffs, then smash your face in.

Players like Stammer and Marty need someone to stick up for them. I remember those 2 games against Toronto where Stammer was getting the piss beat out of him and getting picked on the whole game. Malone was our stand in tough guy for periods of times, that isn't really his gig, although I loved the rage coming out of him. It was even better to see the Montreal fans saying he was angry because his career was over, and shortly after going after Emelin he put up some really solid numbers.

I don't know if Labrie can be an NHL starter. But we missed out on getting Asham or Konopka back, Haley and Prust were availible as well as Carkner. As Assassin said, seems Aulie is our only hope.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

'Orange pad guy' from a few years ago (Zane Kalemba) signed with GKS Katowice in Poland.

Dimitri Afanasenkov signed with KHL club Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg

and a bit suprisingly, Kyle Cumiskey couldn't find an NHL deal and signed with MODO. Never in the Lightning system, but he did play for Syracuse last year and he's only 25.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:35 AM
HoseEmDown

I'd like all my players to have some grit and toughness to them but the game has changed. With all the questionable penalties and suspensions you can't have loose cannons on the team. Downie was great here but his style has gotten him in trouble before. I see him starting to go down the Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi path, both came into the league and brought toughness but also skill and scoring then they stopped scoring and added grit only. Paying 3.5 for that is not good bussiness, Prust making 2.5 to be a 4th liner is bad. Labrie can come up and do his thing against certain teams but his skating is not good enough for regular shifts. We're a skill team who can roll 3 scoring lines I'd rather stay that way, we can add grit at the deadline for the playoffs.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post

I don't know if Labrie can be an NHL starter. But we missed out on getting Asham or Konopka back, Haley and Prust were availible as well as Carkner. As Assassin said, seems Aulie is our only hope.
Giving a 4 year contract to Brandon Prust won't make or break us. If it does, then I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong. But in the meantime, I'll keep breathing because I have a funny feeling if I held my breath I wouldn't be the one coming out on top.

Asham is currently still suspended and after the **** he pulled in the playoffs last year, you really want a guy like that on your team? That's just a good way to get your star players targeted not steer teams away from them. I'll never understand the infatuation that some of you on here have with this guy.

Konopka would be great, if you want minimal scoring and 200+ PIMs. I'd think I'd rather have Thompson, but that's just me.

Carkner and Haley are bums. But I'm not surprised you brought them up either.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 546
Boucher and Yzerman talked about adding size. They did that: Pouliot (6'3), Aulie (6'6), Lee (6'3), Mikkelson (6'3), Salo (6'3), (Lindback (6'6)). Thoughness, though, not so much.

I get the concept: Speed, finesse, etc. and I'm sure that will get us through the regular season and most likely into the playoffs. But with this year's playoffs in mind I don't know... Especially the first round was very physical.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 546
Quote:
Dana Tyrell, in town to see doctor, says surgically repaired knee is “real close” to 100 percent
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637475

Old
07-09-2012, 01:22 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
You do realize fans are going to be critical of the team right?

And saw your other stellar post, just something to let you know champ, I will hate the jerseys 20 years from now. Just because it's been a year doesn't make them suck less. Maybe some people become complacent over time. I don't, I stand by my distaste, it won't change, stop trying.

The Alaskan Assassin has a good point. I felt even at times with Downie in the lineup our team was getting bullied. Labrie brought some grit to this team that we need. I'm a huge fan of the tough guy 4th liner. We never should have lost big Z. His faceoff % was exceptional and I love the intangibles he brought. He could win faceoffs, then smash your face in.

Players like Stammer and Marty need someone to stick up for them. I remember those 2 games against Toronto where Stammer was getting the piss beat out of him and getting picked on the whole game. Malone was our stand in tough guy for periods of times, that isn't really his gig, although I loved the rage coming out of him. It was even better to see the Montreal fans saying he was angry because his career was over, and shortly after going after Emelin he put up some really solid numbers.

Don't be silly. You are not allowed to dislike the jerseys or anything about the team for that matter. In fact, to complain about either makes absolutely no sense. It's obvious you just like to whine about something

In all seriousness, Haley would never make this team and with Prust getting the contract he did, you can't fault us for not landing him (and perhaps we didn't pursue him at all given the asking price). I like Asham, but we already had plenty of competition for a spot on the wing in our bottom six. I would have loved Konopka back, but re-signing Hall basically eliminated that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'd like all my players to have some grit and toughness to them but the game has changed. With all the questionable penalties and suspensions you can't have loose cannons on the team. Downie was great here but his style has gotten him in trouble before. I see him starting to go down the Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi path, both came into the league and brought toughness but also skill and scoring then they stopped scoring and added grit only. Paying 3.5 for that is not good bussiness, Prust making 2.5 to be a 4th liner is bad. Labrie can come up and do his thing against certain teams but his skating is not good enough for regular shifts. We're a skill team who can roll 3 scoring lines I'd rather stay that way, we can add grit at the deadline for the playoffs.
Nobody is looking for a 4-6 minutes goon, but with the amount of skill and youth in our lineup I think it is important to have some added "protection". Look at what Norfolk/Syracuse has done. They have plenty of toughness to go along with their skilled young players, and it's not by coincidence. Sooner or later, I hope to see management bring a bit of that mentality to the Lightning.

The key is having room for that type of player, and at the moment we don't appear to have much of it.

Quote:
Giving a 4 year contract to Brandon Prust won't make or break us. If it does, then I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong. But in the meantime, I'll keep breathing because I have a funny feeling if I held my breath I wouldn't be the one coming out on top.

Asham is currently still suspended and after the **** he pulled in the playoffs last year, you really want a guy like that on your team? That's just a good way to get your star players targeted not steer teams away from them. I'll never understand the infatuation that some of you on here have with this guy.

Konopka would be great, if you want minimal scoring and 200+ PIMs. I'd think I'd rather have Thompson, but that's just me.

Carkner and Haley are bums. But I'm not surprised you brought them up either.
Carkner can be an effective player in his role, but we had enough bottom pairing defenseman anyways.

I don't think anyone here has an infatuation with Asham, but it seems like you just hate the guy. He is one of the more respected tough guys in the league, and I'd bet if you polled NHL players on whether or not they think he is a dirty player, the vast majority would answer "no". The incident in the playoffs was overblown and the crosscheck hit 100% chest. Regardless, everyone gets carried away at one point or another, and to act like Arron Asham is some sort of cancer that would only cause problems for our star players is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Boucher and Yzerman talked about adding size. They did that: Pouliot (6'3), Aulie (6'6), Lee (6'3), Mikkelson (6'3), Salo (6'3), (Lindback (6'6)). Thoughness, though, not so much.

I get the concept: Speed, finesse, etc. and I'm sure that will get us through the regular season and most likely into the playoffs. But with this year's playoffs in mind I don't know... Especially the first round was very physical.
Size doesn't mean jack **** if you don't use it, and I think we already had all of those players you mentioned sans Salo when Boucher made the comments about looking for more size. Despite being soft our defense has plenty of size, and if I recall correctly Boucher was actually referring to adding more beef up front.

My concern is that opposing teams will start to take advantage of us. The east has gotten tougher, and while the days of the heavyweight seem to be nearing an end, teams are still making sure they have a few guys that can handle themselves and stick up for teammates. Ryan Malone is no slouch, but he's too valuable and injury prone to be expected to take on that type of role for us.

It's only July though, so a lot can change. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Don't be silly. You are not allowed to dislike the jerseys or anything about the team for that matter. In fact, to complain about either makes absolutely no sense. It's obvious you just like to whine about something

In all seriousness, Haley would never make this team and with Prust getting the contract he did, you can't fault us for not landing him (and perhaps we didn't pursue him at all given the asking price). I like Asham, but we already had plenty of competition for a spot on the wing in our bottom six. I would have loved Konopka back, but re-signing Hall basically eliminated that option.

Nobody is looking for a 4-6 minutes goon, but with the amount of skill and youth in our lineup I think it is important to have some added "protection". Look at what Norfolk/Syracuse has done. They have plenty of toughness to go along with their skilled young players, and it's not by coincidence. Sooner or later, I hope to see management bring a bit of that mentality to the Lightning.

The key is having room for that type of player, and at the moment we don't appear to have much of it.

Carkner can be an effective player in his role, but we had enough bottom pairing defenseman anyways.

I don't think anyone here has an infatuation with Asham, but it seems like you just hate the guy. He is one of the more respected tough guys in the league, and I'd bet if you polled NHL players on whether or not they think he is a dirty player, the vast majority would answer "no". The incident in the playoffs was overblown and the crosscheck hit 100% chest. Regardless, everyone gets carried away at one point or another, and to act like Arron Asham is some sort of cancer that would only cause problems for our star players is ridiculous.

Size doesn't mean jack **** if you don't use it, and I think we already had all of those players you mentioned sans Salo when Boucher made the comments about looking for more size. Despite being soft our defense has plenty of size, and if I recall correctly Boucher was actually referring to adding more beef up front.

My concern is that opposing teams will start to take advantage of us. The east has gotten tougher, and while the days of the heavyweight seem to be nearing an end, teams are still making sure they have a few guys that can handle themselves and stick up for teammates. Ryan Malone is no slouch, but he's too valuable and injury prone to be expected to take on that type of role for us.

It's only July though, so a lot can change. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I love the way our team looks, but I do not think anybody can make the argument that we are a tough team to play against.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I'd love Asham.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I'd love Asham.
we want tough guys not cheapshots. Prust was the best choice for me, but i guess SY was too busy with Carle and did't have time to speak with Prust

Old
07-09-2012, 03:14 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

I think Tyrell, Connolly, and Brown can add some grit to our team. Tyrell didn't play a lot last season but he can hit. He's small, but with Tyrell in the lineup for the whole season he'll do his part as a grinder. JT Brown hasn't really showed us all he can do. In his limited time up here we didn't get to see the feistiness of his game he was known for in Minnesota Duluth. Maybe we'll see that when training camp rolls around after working out this summer and getting more comfortable on the ice. Connolly needs to get more physical. We've seen him land some good hits but he's hasn't been consistent in this department. He took in a lot last season and still has room to get stronger. Like Brown we know that the physical side is apart of both their games. They've been dominating against kids their own age in college and in the WHL, just not yet against men in the NHL. If they both take some a big steps this summer to getting stronger, that'll help us for sure.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
we want tough guys not cheapshots. Prust was the best choice for me, but i guess SY was too busy with Carle and did't have time to speak with Prust
He does stupid **** sometimes, but hes otherwise solid.

Besides, Downie was the same way.

Also, prob some news in the next 72 hours I think.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I agree to an extent about getting some toughness. I dont think its something we absolutely need but would be nice to have. I know Aulie mixes it up but Im not sure how often we will dress him. I agree about Malone being able to but not the best choice since he is more valuable to have on the ice. Maybe they will sign a guy before its all said and done. I dont think that they are as concerned about it as some of you may be. I think we are seeing more teams try to have 3 lines that score than having one that grinds and bangs. I do think we could use a guy who can spice things up on his own, get the other team retaliating and can stand up for his guys. Not a goon. That can be tough to find though.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I'd love Asham.
He signed with the Rangers.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks