HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Rounder This Year?

Old
05-23-2012, 03:47 PM
safe word

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Between Frazee, Kinkaid, Wedgewood (my personal fave), Clermont, and now Pilemeier as well, I don't think that's an area the Devils need to focus on.
sorry, i'm just getting back into hockey the last 6 months after a long hiatus and haven't really been following prospects.. that's great to hear about Wedge! i'm psyched!

safe word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe word View Post
sorry, i'm just getting back into hockey the last 6 months after a long hiatus and haven't really been following prospects.. that's great to hear about Wedge! i'm psyched!
There was an article a few months ago where someone called him "a definite NHL goalie" or something along those lines, and that was great to see. I wasn't aware he was so highly touted until then. He also made a BEAUUUUUUUTIFUL outlet pass in the world juniors to assist on a goal. He also earned the shutout that game, no biggie. Had the whole crowd cheering his name.

EDIT:
And here's his assist on the goal at 1:25 of this video!

Last edited by Hockey Sports Fan: 05-23-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Between Frazee, Kinkaid, Wedgewood (my personal fave), Clermont, and now Pilemeier as well, I don't think that's an area the Devils need to focus on.
I wouldn't hesitate on another goalie pick in the later rounds. It's all about creating a pipeline. The guy taken in June 2012 probably won't turn pro until October 2014 (if not later). Who knows what our needs will be by then or if Kinkaid/Wedgewood pan out to be NHL starters.

Nothing wrong with creating a pipeline in the position. You don't want to end up like Columbus who thought they were set with Steve Mason and didn't have anybody else to call up.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I wouldn't hesitate on another goalie pick in the later rounds. It's all about creating a pipeline. The guy taken in June 2012 probably won't turn pro until October 2014 (if not later). Who knows what our needs will be by then or if Kinkaid/Wedgewood pan out to be NHL starters.

Nothing wrong with creating a pipeline in the position. You don't want to end up like Columbus who thought they were set with Steve Mason and didn't have anybody else to call up.
Columbus had a good goaltender at the end of the season. Guy was AMAZING. Forgot his name.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:46 PM
DevNets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
We could use a couple of forward prospects regardless of whether or not we forfeit the pick or not
come again?

DevNets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Columbus had a good goaltender at the end of the season. Guy was AMAZING. Forgot his name.
Allen York most likely, but he had all of 5 starts and was pressed into action because Curtis Sanford got hurt. York had sub .900 sv% in the AHL and ECHL this season.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Allen York most likely, but he had all of 5 starts and was pressed into action because Curtis Sanford got hurt. York had sub .900 sv% in the AHL and ECHL this season.
Yeah it was Allen York. Like to see another season from him, but a whole year with Columbus might DESTROY his stats.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:04 PM
DevilsAnimal*

The way I see it, assuming we have all picks at the draft and not trading for others etc

[all our picks except the first rounder, in addition to torontos 4th, not our 4th, calgarys 5th, not our 7th, unknown pick from the islanders]
[2nd, 3rd, TOs 4th, Cals 5th, 6th, unknown]

We need Centres with the 2nd and 3rd, definitly. We can use the 3rd to draft a right winger if possible, but id rather use the 4th, then use the 5th to draft a D, and the 6th to draft a goalie, and with the unknown unconditional pick, we take the best player available

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
That conditional pick from the Islanders is gone. The conditions were not met.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Did you see my post? What`s your ideal scenario? What names come to your mind (later rounds; if you agree with my scenario)? Just curious.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Devils731

Quote:
That conditional pick from the Islanders is gone. The conditions were not met.
No matter how often this is said, people will continually list it.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Tretyak 20

Ok, please allow me to play Devil's advocate for a while here (intentional double entendre). Let's say we don't give up our pick this year...

The first thing to consider is the relative strength/weakness of the drafts in question. It goes without saying that the 30th pick in a strong draft may well be MUCH better than the 20th pick in a weak draft. Conte will no doubt be the judge of how strong this draft actually is.

Secondly, there's the strong possibility that the Devils will continue to excel in the coming years, and that we would still be picking in the 25-30 range anyway. That could well make a future pick less valuable.

Then there's the fact that a player drafted in 2012 will likely be NHL-ready before a player drafted in 2013 or 2014. When you consider that we have several aging forwards (in particular Sykora, Elias, Zubrus) and a relatively small pool of potential replacements, picking a forward now certainly has advantages.

Finally, there's the fact that our system has very few potential future NHL forwards - much less future NHL scorers. Making a pick this year gives us a better chance at a seemless transition from the "old guard" to a newer group of forwards.

Look at it this way: our Defense has a plethora of great prospects, our goaltending is definitely looking up, but our young forward pool is about as light as it's ever been. Why should we wait another year to start addressing that? Why not put it off until the last possible year, when we'll already have two additional 1st round prospects in the system?

...please understand I'm not sold one way or another. I'm just trying to look at the situation from all angles. Discuss away!

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:56 AM
billingtons ghost

bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Forfeit the pick when it is this low. Low will work magic with the D prospects to bring back forward talent.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
The pick should be forfeited this year. No question at all.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Tretyak I see your point, but I would still go this year.

Watch the pick we would have had be the best draft pick we would have had since Zajac!

Our best draft picks lately that have been the most help were guys who were late round picks like Henrique, and Fayne. Not too into any first round picks we've had aside from Yayo. There's the little guy with hardly any teeth, Matt Corrente[Who?] Nicklas Bergfors[Anyone know what even became of him? Haha]

Old
05-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Ok, please allow me to play Devil's advocate for a while here (intentional double entendre). Let's say we don't give up our pick this year...

The first thing to consider is the relative strength/weakness of the drafts in question. It goes without saying that the 30th pick in a strong draft may well be MUCH better than the 20th pick in a weak draft. Conte will no doubt be the judge of how strong this draft actually is.

Secondly, there's the strong possibility that the Devils will continue to excel in the coming years, and that we would still be picking in the 25-30 range anyway. That could well make a future pick less valuable.

Then there's the fact that a player drafted in 2012 will likely be NHL-ready before a player drafted in 2013 or 2014. When you consider that we have several aging forwards (in particular Sykora, Elias, Zubrus) and a relatively small pool of potential replacements, picking a forward now certainly has advantages.
Allegedly, our scouts have been paying close attention to Colton Sissons. Projects as a high character 3rd line RW who is a bubble first rounder. Late '93 birthday, so he could play in the AHL in 2013-14.

But who knows, thin line between scouts following somebody / scouts just doing their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Did you see my post? What`s your ideal scenario? What names come to your mind (later rounds; if you agree with my scenario)? Just curious.
Without a top pick, it's tough to even guess who might be there late in the 2nd round. If anything, I'd just be hoping that somebody drops unexpectedly.

Samuel Kurker and Devin Shore are a couple guys I wouldn't mind that are projected to go in the 45-70 range. Kurker has nice size (6'2 205) with some scoring touch, although doing it in a lesser league. He's committed to BU. Most things I've read about Shore is that he's got a ton of skill but skating is an issue. He's also playing in a Tier II league as he's slated to play for Maine.

And of course there's Nick Ebert. I think one of our head scouts is stationed in Windsor (probably how we ended up with Henrique), so we'll probably be very familiar with him.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:57 AM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
No matter how often this is said, people will continually list it.
Wikipedia

Old
05-24-2012, 05:25 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

You're ignoring the fact that Brodeur/Hedberg, Zach and Salvador are all UFA. We're not going to know what happens with any of them by the time it comes around to forefiting our pick, and we only have 'one' more year to choose before we get chosen for us. And a couple years ago everyone was saying this was going to be a strong draft, now it's supposedly a weak one. I don't trust that 'forecasting'.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:14 AM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
You're ignoring the fact that Brodeur/Hedberg, Zach and Salvador are all UFA. We're not going to know what happens with any of them by the time it comes around to forefiting our pick, and we only have 'one' more year to choose before we get chosen for us. And a couple years ago everyone was saying this was going to be a strong draft, now it's supposedly a weak one. I don't trust that 'forecasting'.
Then give it up now, and keep next years pick which woud be in the top 10 if we lose all of them

Old
05-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
Wikipedia
I actually went there and fixed it.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:44 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I would be absolutely shocked if we didn't forfeit our 1st round pick. With a couple of major things up in the air (Parise for starters), we shouldn't push our luck and think that we'll get a lower seeding then what we'll get this summer.

Even if for whatever reason, we don't make it to the SCF, we should still forfeit the pick.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Cowbell232

This draft is really a crazy one if you watch scouting reports... Players have been falling and climbing all over the ranks in ways that hasn't happened in a while. Between the lack of consistency from Central Scouting and the fact that the pick will be so low, I have to assume 99% that we'll forfeit this one.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Even if for whatever reason, we don't make it to the SCF, we should still forfeit the pick.
I think it is an absolute certainty that this pick is gone.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

yeaaaah the only way lou keeps the pick is he is planning on getting out of the penalty somehow with the expiration of the CBA. since its unlikely bettman and lou have arranged such a deal, I think we’ll see that draft pick go bye bye.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Minor league stats lie as much as major league.

He could have a terrible defense in front of him that allows easy opportunities.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote