HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

First Rounder This Year?

Old
05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Tao Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Detroit won consecutive Cups in the late 90s. 97 and 98, I believe.
Another reason to pass the Red Wings in something else.

Everyone says dynasties are over and consecutive Cups are near impossible.

Don't like the Pens tied with three either.

Also we can tie NYI for total, not consecutive and pass them next year.

Too early for such talk.

Just win tomorrow night!

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:45 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
If there's a lockout Marty may retire, if the Devils win it all (too early for this convo) I think he plays another season for a chance to pass Roy for Cups won, and to win consecutive Cups which hasn't happened since Pittsburgh 91-92 I believe and he would match my childhood hero Bernie Parent, and to pass Detroit who have won 4 Cups in his career.

Not even gonna get into Conn Smythe as I believe Quick or Brown has already won a la Giguere, but I still drream he gets at least one before he hangs them up.
I don't think Brown has solidified anything. Kovy has him tied in playoff points. If Brown goes cold and Kovy heats up, Brown could very easily miss.

Quick is definitely making a case.

I'd be lying to you if I said I haven't thought about a Devil winning the Conn Smythe. The best part is I can't come up with a team MVP this postseason. It's a true team effort.

Is Salvador our MVP? Top notch D and unexpected offense. Kovy leads the team in points and I think is one point off the postseason lead. Then there's the 4th line who have been nothing short of incredible. Zajac has been amazing defensively while chipping in clutch goals when our offense has struggled. Parise has been good defensively and pretty visible aside from last night. Then of course there's Brodeur who has played out of his mind, although he's give up some softies. There's so many options and no one really stands out over anyone. I don't think I'd have it any other way.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 06:57 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I think a goalie's going to win the Conn Smythe this year for sure, and it won't be a goalie from a losing team either.

Quote:
I'd be lying to you if I said I haven't thought about a Devil winning the Conn Smythe. The best part is I can't come up with a team MVP this postseason. It's a true team effort.
I shudder to even discuss this...but if the Devils win, Marty's getting the Smythe that should have been his in 2003 barring something goofy (winning the rest of the way in spite of him). It'd be a career achievement present partly, and he does legitimately have good numbers even if we nitpick his puckhandling and some of the goals he has allowed. Beating Lundqvist AND Quick would further prop up the resume.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I think a goalie's going to win the Conn Smythe this year for sure, and it won't be a goalie from a losing team either.

I shudder to even discuss this...but if the Devils win, Marty's getting the Smythe that should have been his in 2003 barring something goofy (winning the rest of the way in spite of him). It'd be a career achievement present partly, and he does legitimately have good numbers even if we nitpick his puckhandling and some of the goals he has allowed. Beating Lundqvist AND Quick would further prop up the resume.
I'd like to believe hockey justice will be served as well.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:13 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

But boy could you imagine the indignance around here if we do win tomorrow, then beat the Kings in 6 or 7 and Quick gets the Smythe anyway? We'd really be burning down NHL offices in NY

Old
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Still can't believe Jiggy got the Conn Smythe in 03. Don't know why. Hextall got it when he lost, and a few other guys over the long years, but come on seriously?

Marty shut out the Ducks in game 7 to top that off. They could have given it to Langenbrunner, or Friesen, and Marty I thought. He had like 7 shutouts. Jiggy had like 5 that playoff year. Only thing better about Jiggy was like a slightly higher save percentage. GAA was about the same. I'm pretty positive had that series only went 6 games, and not 7 Marty gets it. I think after game 6 whoever votes on this already had the verdict it was going to Jiggy whether the Ducks win or lose game 7.

It would have been really funny had they given the 01 Conn Smythe to Ray Bourque!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
If we win, the Conn Smythe would probably go to one of Kovalchuk, Zajac, Parise, or Brodeur. I can't see anybody else on the Devils being in consideration.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
If we win, the Conn Smythe would probably go to one of Kovalchuk, Zajac, Parise, or Brodeur. I can't see anybody else on the Devils being in consideration.
Salvador.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

I can't see Salvador getting it should we win, but he definitely would not be undeserving in my opinion.

I think they'll go with whoever has the most points or something. Salvador certainly is in that chase though.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Salvador.
He's been good, but I'm not sure he's in Smythe territory just yet.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
whichever one of them had the biggest final round would probably win it if we won, but right now i would rank it

zajac
brodeur
kovy
parise

simply because to me, zajac and kovy have scored a couple more meaningful goals than parise, but really we've been such a different hero every night team in the playoffs that really nobody deserves it more than any other. it would probably be whoever ends up with the best stats.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:

Agreed 100%. Although the main boards have tried their best to convince me that Gigeure diserved the CS more in 03. Smh.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Bleedred
BEAT LA!

Giguere isn't even a starting goaltender anymore. He shut us out this year, but at least Marty did too, and we got both by him in the shootout.

Why did he deserve it more than Marty? Is this the ''System goalie'' crowd?

Every goaltender is a system goalie! If they have no system than they obviously suck. I know you guys like Cam Ward. He plays on a crappy team with a disorganized system. His numbers are still pretty decent.

Remember last year when we had no system before Lemaire came back? Remember how bad both Marty, and Moose looked every game? It wasn't because the goalie sucked it was because the team sucked, and had no system! I remember Hedberg getting booed out of the building the first game he started for us, and the crowd started roaring for Marty as soon as he reached for his mask. In reality the team had no system, and it wasn't really on Hedberg.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:28 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
He's been good, but I'm not sure he's in Smythe territory just yet.
I'm rooting for Salvador to get it for the lol factor. But if he gets 15 points and is around a +15 he is a legit contender

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:03 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Why did he deserve it more than Marty? Is this the ''System goalie'' crowd?
Not really. I think it's more of the fact that the Devils had several players who had great playoff runs that year, while the Ducks really only had Giguere.

Speaking of which, guess who the two leading scorers on the Ducks were that playoffs? Adam Oates and Petr Sykora.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

It's not because of the system goalie thing, it's because Giguere (and his pads) carried the Ducks through the first three rounds essentially by himself.

I still say it should have been Marty's. Three shutouts in the Final, seven in the playoff year, and no Conn Smythe? Laughable.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
This Conn Smythe is going to Quick under almost any circumstance. Maybe if the Rangers or Devils sweep the Kings then someone else will get some consideration.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:17 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
This Conn Smythe is going to Quick under almost any circumstance. Maybe if the Rangers or Devils sweep the Kings then someone else will get some consideration.
If this were the Kings of the regular season, I'd agree with that.
But they're not leaning as heavily on him anymore as they originally were.

Brown's been putting up a worthy performance, as well.

I think Smith & Lundqvist were definitely crutches for their teams, a lot more than Quick has been.

Lots of ifs and lots more hockey left, though.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Brodeur

I enjoy that the draft thread turned into a Conn Smythe discussion and the general playoff thread turned into draft talk.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
I was thinking about this too. I can see Marty getting the Smythe as a lifetime accomplishment trophy. You could make a legitimate argument for him as the Conn Smythe winner on all 3 of our Cup teams.

The fact that a lot of mainstream media still hate Kovy helps his case. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

We are very bad about staying on topic.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I think we'd rather sneak talk about it in this thread as opposed to looking like fools for having a Conn Smythe thread elsewhere on the board before we even get to the Finals lol, like that stupid thread on the main board how the Conference Finals would be the shortest ever after LA went up 2-0 and we lost Game 1.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Eggers

We have to stay off topic, or else all the otherboarders will come by and see and us talking about Marty for Conn Smythe.

Old
05-25-2012, 05:03 PM
manisback121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I wouldnt think so quickly especially if someone comes balls out in the finals. We already had an issue with giguere 8 years ago, but that was different because he literally carried that team. The LA team has guys capable of playing. If we were to make it, it would literally be west coast style v. West coast style in every aspect and a close call.

manisback121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Eggers

No LA forward is seriously outplaying the competition. No Devils player is seriously outplaying another Devils player and Brodeur is not gonna win the Conn Smythe over Quick. If the Rangers win, I think Lundqvist puts up a fight. But this is Quick's trophy to lose right now. The media was all over him carrying the team in the first 3 rounds and throughout most of the season.