HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Jonas Brodin (Part II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
  #426
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
It is usually out of endearment. Verbal pats on the butt.
I totally understand that....Like I said, my opinion is the minority one, I'm sure..

MuckOG is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
  #427
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,441
vCash: 50
I love verbal butt pats.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
  #428
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
I love actual butt pats.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  #429
SureBabyYes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
So now we have Granny and Bacon. What's next?

E: = Granlund and Brodin.
It seams now we also have "Grumpy Swede" (Brent Flahr on Larsson)... Our rookies are paradoxically turning the team into a standard retirement home.

SureBabyYes is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
  #430
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
sorry but i cant remember what brodin said. no wild=back to sweden? or is he willing to play in houston like larsson

keppel146 is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
  #431
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
I thought he'd stay in Houston. I'm hearing a few different things. Rather Houston, though.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM
  #432
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
sorry but i cant remember what brodin said. no wild=back to sweden? or is he willing to play in houston like larsson
He left Sweden for sure this year. He has a good shot at making the team, but may possibly have to spend some time in Houston though. I don't think he'd spend a full year down there though at all. Some time in the AHL learing the NA game wouldn't hurt.

TaLoN is online now  
Old
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
  #433
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,207
vCash: 50
if push comes to shove and they don't think he'll make the Wild i would imagine they'd want him in Houston but on the other hand I'd imagine he'd prefer Sweden. Not sure how far they're willing to go in letting a prospect decide what's best for himself.

rynryn is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 10:00 PM
  #434
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
sorry but i cant remember what brodin said. no wild=back to sweden? or is he willing to play in houston like larsson
Read something yesterday (and I'm blanking on who wrote it) where Brodin said he was planning on coming to North America regardless of it being St. Paul or Houston.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
  #435
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
If like 4 of our top 10 prospects are in Houston this year, I can all but guarantee a Calder Cup..

.. But not really.

Generic User is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
  #436
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
If like 4 of our top 10 prospects are in Houston this year, I can all but guarantee a Calder Cup..

.. But not really.
I expect more than 4. They are gonna be awesome. Gonna have the new Hershey. That team was almost a dynasty.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
  #437
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
If like 4 of our top 10 prospects are in Houston this year, I can all but guarantee a Calder Cup..

.. But not really.
Coyle, Zucker, Bulmer, Phillips will be in Houston for sure IMO.

Larsson - I used to think he was close to a lock for the Wild... but now we have a LOT of NHL talent at forward... he still has a chance at the NHL roster, but think he may end up in Houston.

Brodin is now the next closest to a lock for the NHL, but could very well see him in the AHL to start the year as well.

Granlund is a NHL lock.

4 in houston for sure, possibly 6. (7 counting Hackett)

Obviously Dumba can't be in Houston... I expect he gets a 9 game look in the NHL before going back to Juniors.
Lucia obviously will be at Notre Dame.

TaLoN is online now  
Old
07-11-2012, 11:04 PM
  #438
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
Thats what I'm thinking TaLoN. I think you nailed it.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
  #439
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!
 
Blakkmantis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Read something yesterday (and I'm blanking on who wrote it) where Brodin said he was planning on coming to North America regardless of it being St. Paul or Houston.
I sort of hope so, I think it's important for these Euro players to get used to the N. American game. Not to mention we might need him if the injury bug pays us another visit like last year. (GOD FORBID)

Blakkmantis is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 12:00 AM
  #440
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,706
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I sort of hope so, I think it's important for these Euro players to get used to the N. American game.
It's not like the AHL has been all that good for european skaters though. Most european skaters who play a full season or more in the AHL don't become more than fringe NHLers or european league stars. Mikko Koivu is one of the few exceptions.

Some reasons for it being so could be that they leave for a a worse league with much worse salary. Many of the euros also seem to note that the AHL is not that good socially since so many of the players are concentrating on making the NHL that parts of the team concept get lost.

mattihp is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 12:08 AM
  #441
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,094
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
It's not like the AHL has been all that good for european skaters though. Most european skaters who play a full season or more in the AHL don't become more than fringe NHLers or european league stars. Mikko Koivu is one of the few exceptions.

Some reasons for it being so could be that they leave for a a worse league with much worse salary. Many of the euros also seem to note that the AHL is not that good socially since so many of the players are concentrating on making the NHL that parts of the team concept get lost.
MOST European skaters that come over and spend time in the AHL, aren't 19yrs old either.

TaLoN is online now  
Old
07-12-2012, 12:56 AM
  #442
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Anyone remember Slava Voynov? I think (and please correct me if i'm wrong), he was up for a few games last year with the Kings, finished the year in the minors, started briefly this year in the minors came up 1/3 of the way through the year and finished strong with LA and played well. I see a similar scenario unfolding for Brodin's development here.

Sportsfan1 is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 01:01 AM
  #443
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Anyone remember Slava Voynov? I think (and please correct me if i'm wrong), he was up for a few games last year with the Kings, finished the year in the minors, started briefly this year in the minors came up 1/3 of the way through the year and finished strong with LA and played well. I see a similar scenario unfolding for Brodin's development here.
You mean the guy who averaged over 20 minutes of TOI in the playoffs for LA? Because that's not really an accurate description of how he came about.

squidz* is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 01:09 AM
  #444
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
You mean the guy who averaged over 20 minutes of TOI in the playoffs for LA? Because that's not really an accurate description of how he came about.
Yeah i probably screwed up the timeline, and i'm not comparing the two players because Voynov is more offensive and Brodin by all acount is more defensive minded player, just trying to convey similar timelines of Voynov spending some time in the minors, before making a huge impact with the Kings. Probably should've skipped comparison and gone straight to, i think Brodin should spend some time in the minors, but i expect to see him at various stints with the Wild this year.

Sportsfan1 is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 01:12 AM
  #445
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Yeah i probably screwed up the timeline, and i'm not comparing the two players because Voynov is more offensive and Brodin by all acount is more defensive minded player, just trying to convey similar timelines of Voynov spending some time in the minors, before making a huge impact with the Kings. Probably should've skipped comparison and gone straight to, i think Brodin should spend some time in the minors, but i expect to see him at various stints with the Wild this year.
Voynov spent 3 full seasons in Manchester (albeit, his first was in his draft year).

squidz* is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
  #446
djf
Registered User
 
djf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Read something yesterday (and I'm blanking on who wrote it) where Brodin said he was planning on coming to North America regardless of it being St. Paul or Houston.
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my favorite prospect, I've been following him since he broke into the SEL for my team. According to interviews with the local paper he hasn't decided if he would play in the AHL or go back to Sweden if he doesn't get a spot in the NHL. He's quoted as saying (My translation of course):

"I'm not focusing on that right now. I'm going over there to earn a spot in the NHL." and "There's the possibility of returning home again or the AHL. But I haven't thought that far."

Personally I hope he returns home to play another year in the SEL maybe win another championship. But I definately think he's ready for the NHL, such a talented player. You guys will love him

source: http://nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1122406.ece & http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15056885.ab

djf is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 03:58 PM
  #447
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my favorite prospect, I've been following him since he broke into the SEL for my team. According to interviews with the local paper he hasn't decided if he would play in the AHL or go back to Sweden if he doesn't get a spot in the NHL. He's quoted as saying (My translation of course):

"I'm not focusing on that right now. I'm going over there to earn a spot in the NHL." and "There's the possibility of returning home again or the AHL. But I haven't thought that far."

Personally I hope he returns home to play another year in the SEL maybe win another championship. But I definately think he's ready for the NHL, such a talented player. You guys will love him

source: http://nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1122406.ece & http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15056885.ab
How does Färjestad play and how do they use him?
Im really not convinced his offensive potential will come out in Färjestad and SEL.
What are the Swedish estimates from professionals, how good can he be?

WildFinn* is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
  #448
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Coyle, Zucker, Bulmer, Phillips will be in Houston for sure IMO.

Larsson - I used to think he was close to a lock for the Wild... but now we have a LOT of NHL talent at forward... he still has a chance at the NHL roster, but think he may end up in Houston.

Brodin is now the next closest to a lock for the NHL, but could very well see him in the AHL to start the year as well.

Granlund is a NHL lock.

4 in houston for sure, possibly 6. (7 counting Hackett)

Obviously Dumba can't be in Houston... I expect he gets a 9 game look in the NHL before going back to Juniors.
Lucia obviously will be at Notre Dame.

This is spot on..Coyle might surprise more in camp than Larsson but i suspect you have him as a better chance to make the team because he can play a bottom 6 role??

Bulmer might just surprise us all again this year as well. No matter what theres going to be some Serious Competition in this camp

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
  #449
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,441
vCash: 50
Speaking of Farjestad...





Modified from Kirill Kabanov's famous draft day photo.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
  #450
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
Thats absolutely perfect. If that kid doesn't pan out, he will forever be remembered in our hearts as draft day photo guy.

Victorious Secret is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.