Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
It is usually out of endearment. Verbal pats on the butt.
I totally understand that....Like I said, my opinion is the minority one, I'm sure..

Old
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I love verbal butt pats.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I love actual butt pats.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
SureBabyYes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
So now we have Granny and Bacon. What's next?

E: = Granlund and Brodin.
It seams now we also have "Grumpy Swede" (Brent Flahr on Larsson)... Our rookies are paradoxically turning the team into a standard retirement home.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

sorry but i cant remember what brodin said. no wild=back to sweden? or is he willing to play in houston like larsson

Old
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I thought he'd stay in Houston. I'm hearing a few different things. Rather Houston, though.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
sorry but i cant remember what brodin said. no wild=back to sweden? or is he willing to play in houston like larsson
He left Sweden for sure this year. He has a good shot at making the team, but may possibly have to spend some time in Houston though. I don't think he'd spend a full year down there though at all. Some time in the AHL learing the NA game wouldn't hurt.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

if push comes to shove and they don't think he'll make the Wild i would imagine they'd want him in Houston but on the other hand I'd imagine he'd prefer Sweden. Not sure how far they're willing to go in letting a prospect decide what's best for himself.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Read something yesterday (and I'm blanking on who wrote it) where Brodin said he was planning on coming to North America regardless of it being St. Paul or Houston.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

If like 4 of our top 10 prospects are in Houston this year, I can all but guarantee a Calder Cup..

.. But not really.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
If like 4 of our top 10 prospects are in Houston this year, I can all but guarantee a Calder Cup..

.. But not really.
I expect more than 4. They are gonna be awesome. Gonna have the new Hershey. That team was almost a dynasty.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:

.. But not really.
Coyle, Zucker, Bulmer, Phillips will be in Houston for sure IMO.

Larsson - I used to think he was close to a lock for the Wild... but now we have a LOT of NHL talent at forward... he still has a chance at the NHL roster, but think he may end up in Houston.

Brodin is now the next closest to a lock for the NHL, but could very well see him in the AHL to start the year as well.

Granlund is a NHL lock.

4 in houston for sure, possibly 6. (7 counting Hackett)

Obviously Dumba can't be in Houston... I expect he gets a 9 game look in the NHL before going back to Juniors.
Lucia obviously will be at Notre Dame.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Thats what I'm thinking TaLoN. I think you nailed it.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Read something yesterday (and I'm blanking on who wrote it) where Brodin said he was planning on coming to North America regardless of it being St. Paul or Houston.
I sort of hope so, I think it's important for these Euro players to get used to the N. American game. Not to mention we might need him if the injury bug pays us another visit like last year. (GOD FORBID)

Old
07-12-2012, 12:00 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I sort of hope so, I think it's important for these Euro players to get used to the N. American game.
It's not like the AHL has been all that good for european skaters though. Most european skaters who play a full season or more in the AHL don't become more than fringe NHLers or european league stars. Mikko Koivu is one of the few exceptions.

Some reasons for it being so could be that they leave for a a worse league with much worse salary. Many of the euros also seem to note that the AHL is not that good socially since so many of the players are concentrating on making the NHL that parts of the team concept get lost.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:08 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
It's not like the AHL has been all that good for european skaters though. Most european skaters who play a full season or more in the AHL don't become more than fringe NHLers or european league stars. Mikko Koivu is one of the few exceptions.

Some reasons for it being so could be that they leave for a a worse league with much worse salary. Many of the euros also seem to note that the AHL is not that good socially since so many of the players are concentrating on making the NHL that parts of the team concept get lost.
MOST European skaters that come over and spend time in the AHL, aren't 19yrs old either.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Sportsfan1

Anyone remember Slava Voynov? I think (and please correct me if i'm wrong), he was up for a few games last year with the Kings, finished the year in the minors, started briefly this year in the minors came up 1/3 of the way through the year and finished strong with LA and played well. I see a similar scenario unfolding for Brodin's development here.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:01 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Anyone remember Slava Voynov? I think (and please correct me if i'm wrong), he was up for a few games last year with the Kings, finished the year in the minors, started briefly this year in the minors came up 1/3 of the way through the year and finished strong with LA and played well. I see a similar scenario unfolding for Brodin's development here.
You mean the guy who averaged over 20 minutes of TOI in the playoffs for LA? Because that's not really an accurate description of how he came about.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
You mean the guy who averaged over 20 minutes of TOI in the playoffs for LA? Because that's not really an accurate description of how he came about.
Yeah i probably screwed up the timeline, and i'm not comparing the two players because Voynov is more offensive and Brodin by all acount is more defensive minded player, just trying to convey similar timelines of Voynov spending some time in the minors, before making a huge impact with the Kings. Probably should've skipped comparison and gone straight to, i think Brodin should spend some time in the minors, but i expect to see him at various stints with the Wild this year.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:12 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Yeah i probably screwed up the timeline, and i'm not comparing the two players because Voynov is more offensive and Brodin by all acount is more defensive minded player, just trying to convey similar timelines of Voynov spending some time in the minors, before making a huge impact with the Kings. Probably should've skipped comparison and gone straight to, i think Brodin should spend some time in the minors, but i expect to see him at various stints with the Wild this year.
Voynov spent 3 full seasons in Manchester (albeit, his first was in his draft year).

Old
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
djf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my favorite prospect, I've been following him since he broke into the SEL for my team. According to interviews with the local paper he hasn't decided if he would play in the AHL or go back to Sweden if he doesn't get a spot in the NHL. He's quoted as saying (My translation of course):

"I'm not focusing on that right now. I'm going over there to earn a spot in the NHL." and "There's the possibility of returning home again or the AHL. But I haven't thought that far."

Personally I hope he returns home to play another year in the SEL maybe win another championship. But I definately think he's ready for the NHL, such a talented player. You guys will love him

source: http://nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1122406.ece & http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15056885.ab

Old
07-12-2012, 03:58 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my favorite prospect, I've been following him since he broke into the SEL for my team. According to interviews with the local paper he hasn't decided if he would play in the AHL or go back to Sweden if he doesn't get a spot in the NHL. He's quoted as saying (My translation of course):

"I'm not focusing on that right now. I'm going over there to earn a spot in the NHL." and "There's the possibility of returning home again or the AHL. But I haven't thought that far."

Personally I hope he returns home to play another year in the SEL maybe win another championship. But I definately think he's ready for the NHL, such a talented player. You guys will love him

source: http://nwt.se/sport/folj_fbk/article1122406.ece & http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle15056885.ab
How does Färjestad play and how do they use him?
Im really not convinced his offensive potential will come out in Färjestad and SEL.
What are the Swedish estimates from professionals, how good can he be?

Old
07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Coyle, Zucker, Bulmer, Phillips will be in Houston for sure IMO.

Larsson - I used to think he was close to a lock for the Wild... but now we have a LOT of NHL talent at forward... he still has a chance at the NHL roster, but think he may end up in Houston.

Brodin is now the next closest to a lock for the NHL, but could very well see him in the AHL to start the year as well.

Granlund is a NHL lock.

4 in houston for sure, possibly 6. (7 counting Hackett)

Obviously Dumba can't be in Houston... I expect he gets a 9 game look in the NHL before going back to Juniors.
Lucia obviously will be at Notre Dame.

This is spot on..Coyle might surprise more in camp than Larsson but i suspect you have him as a better chance to make the team because he can play a bottom 6 role??

Bulmer might just surprise us all again this year as well. No matter what theres going to be some Serious Competition in this camp

Old
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Speaking of Farjestad...

Modified from Kirill Kabanov's famous draft day photo.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Thats absolutely perfect. If that kid doesn't pan out, he will forever be remembered in our hearts as draft day photo guy.

Closed Thread