Jonas Brodin (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 07:12 AM
djf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
How does Färjestad play and how do they use him?
Im really not convinced his offensive potential will come out in Färjestad and SEL.
What are the Swedish estimates from professionals, how good can he be?
I'm no expert, but I'll try. Färjestad plays a puck possesion game. Last season we had trouble getting offence from the back end at all. Seldom do our defencemen join the rush as a 4th forward, if that is due to the system in place or the players I can't really say.

Brodin had some PP time but he's behind Kristofer Berglund and Magnus Nygren on the depth chart. For next season he'd also be behind Chris Lee who got signed out of Germany.

As for how good he can be?

Daniel Alfedsson said there were no limits to how good he could become. Praised his vision, IQ and passing.

Niklas Kronwall compared him to Kenny Jönsson and Niclas Lidström, meaning he thinks Brodin will be a world class player.

I think most experts really believe he is going to be a star player in the NHL. Extremely calm and plays a simple game. My prediciton is he's going to have a season similar to what Adam Larsson had for the Devils this year if he plays for Minnesota.

Hope it helps :p

Old
07-13-2012, 07:47 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf View Post
I'm no expert, but I'll try. Färjestad plays a puck possesion game. Last season we had trouble getting offence from the back end at all. Seldom do our defencemen join the rush as a 4th forward, if that is due to the system in place or the players I can't really say.

Brodin had some PP time but he's behind Kristofer Berglund and Magnus Nygren on the depth chart. For next season he'd also be behind Chris Lee who got signed out of Germany.

As for how good he can be?

Daniel Alfedsson said there were no limits to how good he could become. Praised his vision, IQ and passing.

Niklas Kronwall compared him to Kenny Jönsson and Niclas Lidström, meaning he thinks Brodin will be a world class player.

I think most experts really believe he is going to be a star player in the NHL. Extremely calm and plays a simple game. My prediciton is he's going to have a season similar to what Adam Larsson had for the Devils this year if he plays for Minnesota.

Hope it helps :p
I read about Kronwalls comparison, he should know, so im excited about Brodin. There is no point him playing there, he will not get even PP time, AHL or NHL for him.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:59 AM
forthewild

Frankly i think brodin's offensive game is underrated and what Wild need to do is put him in a place where he can develop that part of his game. he has great vision, iq, his passes are good and he knows how to break out the forwards. he has all the tools but needs the games and practice to work on them. being used in a shutdown role limited those chances, he has in two straight years scored 2g in the playoffs. he has the ability to contribute on the score sheet just needs the practice.

so i think NHL or HOU for him. in Houston he'll be the top pp guy (lets be real here, Brodin is a far better dman then genoway and its not like GMCF and Torchetti can't agree on him getting top pp time) I still think he'll start with MN and get some good 2nd unit pp time to work on his offense tho.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I can't help but think that the Brodin - Kampfer pairing we saw yesterday is a "tryout" of sorts for the top pairing in Houston this year. Add in the fact that they matched up against Granlund/Zucker as often as they could.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah there's no reason Brodin can't go to Houston to start the season and gain some offensive confidence.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I can't help but think that the Brodin - Kampfer pairing we saw yesterday is a "tryout" of sorts for the top pairing in Houston this year. Add in the fact that they matched up against Granlund/Zucker as often as they could.
That was my initial impression after first seeing the rosters. They already figure Scandella is on the team and Dumba will be back in Red Deer so they want to see how Kampfer, Brodin, and Cuma do against the big offensive guys.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Cuma wasn't out there at all last night, was he?

Old
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Cuma wasn't out there at all last night, was he?
sore groin, which is scary. i do hope he stays healthy, even if he has no career in MN would be great to see him make a name for him self in the NHL as a 5-6 guy.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I assume the Cuma "sore groin" keeping him out was an overreaction on behalf of the training staff. With his injury history, they'll keep him out of anything optional if there's even a remote chance of injury.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
TCJ

I really don't want Brodin to start in the NHL. There's no doubt in my mind that he could play and be effective in the NHL this season, but I don't really believe that would be the best scenario development-wise. As smart and skilled as he is, Brodin has the body of a 17 year old. I know he doesn't play a punishing style but he desperately needs to bulk up before the NHL. This is the top league in the world we're talking about, these are the fastest and more importantly strongest players in the world. Putting him on the NHL roster right away is asking for an injury. To be the reliable, shut-down player we want him to be, he will need to stay healthy throughout his career. If that means waiting a year or two to let his body develop, so be it.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
topshelf20

Agreed. Plus, in addition to getting accustomed to the NA style of play, he would get a year of training with the Wild organization and training regimen. That might be the biggest draw of playing a year in the AHL. He could bulk up big time, and be a huge contributor to our team next year.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If he's not ready to step into the top four and get special teams time off the bat, I'd prefer he goes to Houston. I really do think he should spend some time in NA this season rather than Sweden, unless he still needs a lot of development in terms of his skills and body. If it's just decision making and adjusting to this type of hockey, stay here please...

Old
07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Zucker - Phillips - Coyle

Kampfer - Brodin

Hackett

That could be our starting lineup. Holy Christ...

Old
07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Kampfer - Brodin

Hackett

That could be our starting lineup. Holy Christ...
Fontaine-Larsson-Bulmer

Cuma-Genoway/Connelly

Kuemper

That's our starting lineup if you get rid of our top tier of guys. That's still way better than we had this past season.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Dr Jan Itor

So, do we think they'll keep the younger ones together? Or insert guys like Fontaine Broda and Rau onto the lines? I know they'd have to do it on one of the lines, I can't think of a way to do it without a really good player moving down to the 3rd line.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJ View Post
I really don't want Brodin to start in the NHL. There's no doubt in my mind that he could play and be effective in the NHL this season, but I don't really believe that would be the best scenario development-wise. As smart and skilled as he is, Brodin has the body of a 17 year old. I know he doesn't play a punishing style but he desperately needs to bulk up before the NHL. This is the top league in the world we're talking about, these are the fastest and more importantly strongest players in the world. Putting him on the NHL roster right away is asking for an injury. To be the reliable, shut-down player we want him to be, he will need to stay healthy throughout his career. If that means waiting a year or two to let his body develop, so be it.
Which is years better, about 12 years then Spurgies body. and brodin has better skills then spurgie including skating and decision making.

Brodin doesn't need a massive body to be effective, his game is his head and skating which are quite elite. he'd probably be the best skater on the Wild and quite high in the NHL if he makes the team next year.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
So, do we think they'll keep the younger ones together? Or insert guys like Fontaine Broda and Rau onto the lines? I know they'd have to do it on one of the lines, I can't think of a way to do it without a really good player moving down to the 3rd line.
I think they have to put Bulmer in the top 6 if they're serious about developing his offensive game. I don't really have any idea what they might want from Larsson, so who knows where they put him.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

#2 center maybe? That's a lot of rookies though.

Bulmer - Larsson - Foucault

Five rooks.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
#2 center maybe? That's a lot of rookies though.

Bulmer - Larsson - Foucault

Five rooks.
That's what I was thinking too. As much as I'd like to see that top line, I'm thinking they might want to have Rau and Fontaine in the mix up there. What about...

Zucker - Rau - Fontaine
Foucault - Phillips - Coyle
Palmieri/Broda - Larsson - Bulmer

Maybe?

Old
07-13-2012, 03:29 PM
TCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Which is years better, about 12 years then Spurgies body. and brodin has better skills then spurgie including skating and decision making.

Brodin doesn't need a massive body to be effective, his game is his head and skating which are quite elite. he'd probably be the best skater on the Wild and quite high in the NHL if he makes the team next year.
Hahaha yes, he is a man compared to spurg, but this proves my point. Throwing an undersized prospect into the league prematurely may not be the best idea, even if they have the skill to succeed. Spurgeon is a perfect example of why Brodin should not be in the NHL yet. Undersized players are susceptible to injuries. Yes, spurg played very well despite being undersized, but he hasn't been able to put together a full season to this point. Concussions can be a very slippery slope as we have all observed through the PMB saga. It is not just concussions though, we've seen knee injuries hamper the development of Tyler Cuma as well. A knee injury or a concussion would jeopardize the rest of his career.

I'm sure Brodin could step into the league and be an impact player on day 1 this year but his body is not ready to withstand the rigors of the NHL. We should be developing Brodin for his career. Why risk rushing him into the league one or two years early before his body is ready when his career could be 20 seasons? This team won't be a top contender for a few years anyway. It's not worth the risk, even if it's a small one

Old
07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. As much as I'd like to see that top line, I'm thinking they might want to have Rau and Fontaine in the mix up there. What about...

Zucker - Rau - Fontaine

Maybe?
Honestly, with how they're trying to develop the offensive side of Bulmer's game, I'd think it more likely for him to be on the top line than the third.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Dr Jan Itor

If he'd be an impact player this year, he'd be even more of one next year if he goes to Houston. I don't mind waiting another year.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Honestly, with how they're trying to develop the offensive side of Bulmer's game, I'd think it more likely for him to be on the top line than the third.
He could still play on offensive role on the 3rd line. All that would be in question would be PP time and they could still make that work. He'd still be playing regularly with a good offensive player (Larsson).

Old
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
If he'd be an impact player this year, he'd be even more of one next year if he goes to Houston. I don't mind waiting another year.
This is true, nex year is a big year with the cap space coming and all.
Let the kids raise hell in Houston, what a hockey season coming.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
Quote:

Zucker - Rau - Fontaine

Maybe?
Palmieri/Broda - Larsson - Bulmer would be a solid 2b, or 1c the way you have those configured.

Those lines could present match-up headaches to opposing coaches.

Houston is definitely going to be interesting to watch.

It's amazing to me that our current group of stud prospects have been up to every challenge so far. The AHL will be a very telling stepping-stone in determining what we actually have here.

That they will largely grow up and develop together is phenomenal.

Back on topic, I would be perfectly happy to see Brodin start as part of that crowd.

Closed Thread