Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Jonas Brodin (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Beegoalie

vCash: 500
Well Im not gonna sit and Argue Hamilton/Brodin. I would've took either and myself I really like Brodin's game.

First noticed his game in the WJC last season when he was the best defenseman on the gold medal winning team. Then caught some WC games online where he was played over NHL defenseman throughout the tournament including Victor Hedman. Once that happened I started to realize we had someone special.

Watched a lot of Aeros game during the lockout and he looked special.

After watching his first NHL game Im sold that this kid is the real deal. While he will take some time to develop and there will be growing pains but this is a top 4 NHL defenseman. He is a one man breakout and his skating phenomenal. So happy we have him and he will be here the rest of the season as a top 4 defenseman.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Beegoalie

Its too bad they didn't make another becoming Wild like they did last year..those episodes are awesome especially that one.

Would've loved to watch behind the scenes praise/Suter signing footage.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:13 AM
forthewild

Kid is going to be good, he is only 19 years old and has plenty of room to grow. I bet you last night Ken Holland was just wishing he had Brodin on his blue line.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:10 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

One game and it already appears to be Suter, Gilbert, Brodin, and then everyone else. Bring-in Scandella, add him to the mix, and put Spurgeon with Stoner on the 3rd line.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
While he will take some time to develop and there will be growing pains but this is a top 4 NHL defenseman. He is a one man breakout and his skating phenomenal. So happy we have him and he will be here the rest of the season as a top 4 defenseman.
top 4, as a general?

Old
01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
nickschultzfan

Kid played well. Made a few mistakes and he has to adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL, but he will be able to help the team this year.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:25 AM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
i am liking this kid a lot. he is going to develop into a good nhl defenseman.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:34 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Kid played well. Made a few mistakes and he has to adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL, but he will be able to help the team this year.
what the **** were you watching? Has to adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL? He played 20 minutes in his first game, a game where we were behind for a lot, filled with special teams. Suter looked like he had more adjusting to do.
good grief, man.

edit: there will be a real test with St. Louis and their size and physical game. If he makes it through this unharmed he'll get through anything.

Last edited by rynryn: 01-26-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
WILDTATE10

You can tell just from that one game that he's gonna be a good one

Old
01-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
what the **** were you watching? Has to adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL? He played 20 minutes in his first game, a game where we were behind for a lot, filled with special teams. Suter looked like he had more adjusting to do.
good grief, man.

edit: there will be a real test with St. Louis and their size and physical game. If he makes it through this unharmed he'll get through anything.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

He sure did look sharp. Could see it coming when management felt he could make it after only 1 rehab game. Heck yea.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Having a fun time reading the reactions in the first thread considering how amazing Brodin played last game. His first two moves in his first NHL shift was simply breathtaking.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:45 AM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Having a fun time reading the reactions in the first thread considering how amazing Brodin played last game. His first two moves in his first NHL shift was simply breathtaking.
His spin move on his first shift was fantastic. This kid just reeks of confidence. And not in a bad way either!

Old
01-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
And the way he used his body to guide the puck on the tail end of that shift was spectacular.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:19 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
His spin move on his first shift was fantastic. This kid just reeks of confidence. And not in a bad way either!
which one? the first one near the blueline or the first one behind the net? both were amazing...

Old
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
good grief, man.

Holy overreaction batman.

I was actually watching Brodin the entire game. He was surprised a few times by the pressure. Not in a major way but I could tell that he didn't get to do what he wanted to do.

Yeah, totally stand by my assessment rather than adopting some 'do not say anything critical' viewpoint.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
Yep. He has the same aura of confidence around him that Granlund had before last WJC. Honestly, he hasn't really been the same player since. He came close on his first stint in AHL just before getting injured though.

If he can regain the said confidence after getting used to NHL's speed and physicality, look out. We haven't seen the best of him yet.

01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Holy overreaction batman.

I was actually watching Brodin the entire game. He was surprised a few times by the pressure. Not in a major way but I could tell that he didn't get to do what he wanted to do.

Yeah, totally stand by my assessment rather than adopting some 'do not say anything critical' viewpoint.
cause i'm all Mary Sunshine when it comes to our players? You can stand by your assessment all you want. Your assessment is that since he was surprised by the pressure (whatever that means, and how you quantify the state of his awareness isn't apparent) a few times he needs to adapt. Good luck trying to convince me that every other defenseman playing out there (all veterans of north american hockey) looked markedly more "unsurprised" throughout the game. Brodin was the most poised guy out there...If you think he needs time to adapt because he looked surprised, then what about Gilbert? Stoner? Suter? They all need to adapt or is it something else?

Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
cause i'm all Mary Sunshine when it comes to our players? You can stand by your assessment all you want. Your assessment is that since he was surprised by the pressure (whatever that means, and how you quantify the state of his awareness isn't apparent) a few times he needs to adapt. Good luck trying to convince me that every other defenseman playing out there (all veterans of north american hockey) looked markedly more "unsurprised" throughout the game. Brodin was the most poised guy out there...If you think he needs time to adapt because he looked surprised, then what about Gilbert? Stoner? Suter? They all need to adapt or is it something else?
You are on a rampage. You are trashing my original complimentary post with not being complimentary enough. That is messed up.

Your opinion of other players is irrelevant. I don't care if you think they suck and need to be run out of town. Or that you think Brodin was 76 times the players they are.

I was comparing Brodin in his first nhl game to Brodin in other settings. That was not him at his best or at his ceiling. He is going to have to adjust and learn handle the bigger players to reach that.

I made a incredibly vanilla statement, and you jump all over me because you are pissed at the rest of the blue line. Which has nothing to do with Brodin or me.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
You are on a rampage. You are trashing my original complimentary post with not being complimentary enough. That is messed up.

Your opinion of other players is irrelevant. I don't care if you think they suck and need to be run out of town. Or that you think Brodin was 76 times the players they are.

I was comparing Brodin in his first nhl game to Brodin in other settings. That was not him at his best or at his ceiling. He is going to have to adjust and learn handle the bigger players to reach that.

I made a incredibly vanilla statement, and you jump all over me because you are pissed at the rest of the blue line. Which has nothing to do with Brodin or me.
well i wasn't typing it with anger.

I think he looked just as good here as he has any other time i've seen him. No matter that people call someone "mistake free" I don't really expect it out of anyone...I think the adjustment he needs is the same one everyone currently needs--to the system, to their teammates. I personally blame quite a bit of what I'm *****ing about on that, and while it's frustrating I understand it's normal. Especially watching other games and seeing the same thing in other teams. Outside of that sort of adjustment I don't think he needs anything in particular. He looked very comfortable.

Again, only one game. he could have a horrible game tonight--i expect it to be nastier with the Blues.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:51 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

THis kid has really impressed me, from the short sample I have seen of him. It's a nice bright spot in all the turmoil of everything else so far this year.

I know many of you have spoken very highly of him for a while now, but I have not had the chance to watch him until recently. He really does appear to be as advertised.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I'm not saying that Brodin is a better defenseman than Suter, but he has been the best Wild defenseman on the ice for the past two games, IMO.

I'm VERY impressed.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Oshie looked so surprised when Brodin stick checked him last night. Made him look foolish. Nice move to reach in front of his body and not trip him.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me right now it's Gilbert and Brodin, then everyone else. Want to see more Spurge.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

It's still crazy to think that a 19 year old is looking so poised and calm and playing great in the NHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:13 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Oshie looked so surprised when Brodin stick checked him last night. Made him look foolish. Nice move to reach in front of his body and not trip him.
Hehe, I remember that. That was freakin great

I also love anyone that makes Oshie look foolish... That might have been the best part of last night's game for me.

Closed Thread