HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Playoff Series Talk - WC Semifinals- 1 Oklahoma City Barons vs. 5 San Antonio Rampage

View Poll Results: Who wins the series?
Barons in 4 0 0%
Barons in 5 2 16.67%
Barons in 6 6 50.00%
Barons in 7 0 0%
Rampage in 4 0 0%
Rampage in 5 0 0%
Rampage in 6 3 25.00%
Rampage in 7 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
Playoff Series Talk - WC Semifinals- 1 Oklahoma City Barons vs. 5 San Antonio Rampage

Game 1 - Thu May 3 7:00 PM San Antonio 6 at Oklahoma City 4
Game 2 - Sat May 5 7:00 PM San Antonio 4 at Oklahoma City 5 OT
Game 3 - Mon May 7 7:00 PM Oklahoma City 2at San Antonio 1 OT
Game 4 - Thu May 10 7:00 PM Oklahoma City 2 at San Antonio 1 OT
Game 5 - Fri May 11 7:00 PM Oklahoma City 4 at San Antonio 3

Oklahoma City wins series 4-1

04-28-2012, 12:00 AM
TurboBrick

Looks like we'll be on May 3rd and 5th at OKC, and 7th, 10th and 11th (if necessary) in San Antonio. All games start at 7:00pm

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:10 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Can't believe the wolves blew Game 5 at home. Not sure if SA has much left in the tank. OKC in 5.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:12 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Aren't the Rampage the six seed, not the five?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:59 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Barons in six.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Copperhead

Does anyone know how to watch this series? Would love to be able to follow some playoff hockey involving future Oilers. It's the closest thing to success the Oilers have had in 6 years!

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Does anyone know how to watch this series? Would love to be able to follow some playoff hockey involving future Oilers. It's the closest thing to success the Oilers have had in 6 years!
If you are willing to fork out some dough: AHL Live.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 07:38 PM
WhalerPanther

Send a message via Yahoo to WhalerPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Can't believe the wolves blew Game 5 at home. Not sure if SA has much left in the tank. OKC in 5.
Not sure how you come up with the Rampage not having much left in the tank. Markstrom was called up to Florida for two games. Coincidently those two gams were the only ones Chicago won when DGM was in net. Michal Repik missed the entire series along with Sean Sullivan. Greg Rallo was injured as well and missed Game 5 so the Rampage played with 11 Forwards and 7 Defenseman the entire game. The Rampage have also added Quinton Howden (Fourth ranked Panthers prospect) for this series and are getting Repik and Sullivan back. This will not be a short series at all as both teams have played close low scoring games all year. Should be another stellar goaltending dual between Markstrom and Danis. Anyone who thinks OKC is going to walk all over SA is mistaken.

WhalerPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Kate

Even when SA did lose those two games, when Markstrom was in FLA, the games betwen the Rampage and Wolves were still low scoring. And I still stand my ground when I say that DGM is one hell-of-a-good back-up goalie! We've beaten the Barons before, and we can beat them again!! GOOOOO RAMPAGE!!!

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
TurboBrick

Markstrom and DGM make a pretty solid duo, and now we have Strachan back from Florida in the defensive end as well. Didn't we split the season series with them? It's not gonna be a sweep for either side, so I get to (happily) spend more of my money at the AT&T Center.

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Rampage Erik

I must say as an SA hockey fan this series is going to take me back to the old OKC Blazers and SA Iguanas days. those you live in OKC and SA know what Im talking about.

Rampage Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:22 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Nice win! Go Rampage!!

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 11:29 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
We have just injected guys like Drew Shore and Quinton Howden into the lineup, consider our tank topped up. Rampage in five.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:23 AM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage Erik View Post
I must say as an SA hockey fan this series is going to take me back to the old OKC Blazers and SA Iguanas days. those you live in OKC and SA know what Im talking about.
Hah! I had tickets back then and STILL hate the Iguanas.

I'm so glad OKC has AHL/AAA-level hockey. And I'm thrilled that OKC gets to play teams in SA, Houston and Austin/Cedar Park. I miss games against Wichita and Tulsa (both have pro-level arenas worthy of an AHL tenant, btw), but other than that the CHL as we knew it is entirely different.

OKCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:25 AM
OKCDevil

And OKC leads this series now 2-1.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:51 PM
WhalerPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
Hah! I had tickets back then and STILL hate the Iguanas.

I'm so glad OKC has AHL/AAA-level hockey. And I'm thrilled that OKC gets to play teams in SA, Houston and Austin/Cedar Park. I miss games against Wichita and Tulsa (both have pro-level arenas worthy of an AHL tenant, btw), but other than that the CHL as we knew it is entirely different.
You better tell alot of your friends to start attending the games as your attendence numbers are HORRIBLE. A team as good as the Barons are and to have the support or lack there of is rediculous. OKC has a long, storied and successful history with hockey so I don't quite get it. Edmonton won't stick around long with this kind of attendence I can guarantee that. When Edmonton was in Springfield the Oilers had PATHETIC teams on the ice and did not draw well at all. This OKC team is very good, show up OKC.

As for OKC being up 2-1, they have capitalized on their breaks and deserve to be in the lead. 9 seconds at the end of Game 2 have made this series completely turn around. It's still going 6 or 7 as I wont be surprised if the Rampage bounce back with the next two.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
OKCDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerPanther View Post
You better tell alot of your friends to start attending the games as your attendence numbers are HORRIBLE. A team as good as the Barons are and to have the support or lack there of is rediculous. OKC has a long, storied and successful history with hockey so I don't quite get it. Edmonton won't stick around long with this kind of attendence I can guarantee that. When Edmonton was in Springfield the Oilers had PATHETIC teams on the ice and did not draw well at all. This OKC team is very good, show up OKC.
Oh I fully realize that. I've thought a lot about the subject but it has a lot to do with, in my opinion, OKC's transition from a minor-league sports city to a major-league city. The addition of the Thunder has changed the landscape here. In the heyday of the Blazers, crowds of 9,000-up filled the Myriad and the team made the front page of the sports page. After college football season ended, the Blazers ruled OKC. I think they were ranked in the top five or 10 in all of North America in terms of minor league hockey attendance.

So, from 1992 through the mid 2000s, OKC probably averaged 7,500 a game. And they were the centerpiece of The City. But then the Hornets came for two years and then the Thunder. And then the hockey team OKC knew, the Blazers, went away, to be followed by the Barons. That first game of the Barons in OKC was very well-attended, like 9,500 or something. But the play was TERRIBLE, mainly because the guys had only practiced together for a week or two and it showed. Well, with no history and familiar team name to root for, they didn't really come back. OKC is a fairly immature hockey market, and with the competition from the Thunder literally across the street in the Chesapeake Arena, it's hard to carve out a space for yourself in the state. Now Oklahoma goes from college football season to NBA season. There is a diehard of 3-5,000 hockey fans in central Oklahoma that really know the sport, but the others are just passers-by that went to Blazers games because it was literally the only thing to do here. Not anymore.

But the fault isn't all on OKC. The Barons came here and, looking at the Blazers' past numbers, figured they wouldn't have to work for butts in seats. WRONG. They've done little to none advertising, TV, etc. It's their second year, but I wonder if some even know there's hockey again here. The team has got to work hard for attendance - and no, having staffers hand out fliers on an off night to Thunder fans walking to an NBA playoff game won't cut it.

They obviously thought they'd set up AAA hockey and the superior talent would sell itself. It's not. This market went to CHL games because of matchups against the Tulsa Oilers and Wichita Thunder and for fights. The play was terrible but that wasn't why they went - they went for fights and to be entertained by the same dead-end guys that filled the roster for years.

It's probably a good thing The Nords didn't move here in the mid-90s and that we just missed out on the last round of expansion (our big-time arena here has a hockey press box at the top of it), as it's just not a mature enough hockey market IMO. It probably would have been in time if the NHL ever came here, but the AHL being here doesn't matter.

Honestly, I think the attendance issues would have been negated had they bought the name Blazers and just called the team the Oklahoma City Blazers. Really. I really believe that. There's no connection between OKC and the Barons yet and if Edmonton isn't going to give us time to acclimate to better hockey in a pro-sports OKC world, then they should just take it to Nunavut or something.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
WhalerPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCDevil View Post
Oh I fully realize that. I've thought a lot about the subject but it has a lot to do with, in my opinion, OKC's transition from a minor-league sports city to a major-league city. The addition of the Thunder has changed the landscape here. In the heyday of the Blazers, crowds of 9,000-up filled the Myriad and the team made the front page of the sports page. After college football season ended, the Blazers ruled OKC. I think they were ranked in the top five or 10 in all of North America in terms of minor league hockey attendance.

So, from 1992 through the mid 2000s, OKC probably averaged 7,500 a game. And they were the centerpiece of The City. But then the Hornets came for two years and then the Thunder. And then the hockey team OKC knew, the Blazers, went away, to be followed by the Barons. That first game of the Barons in OKC was very well-attended, like 9,500 or something. But the play was TERRIBLE, mainly because the guys had only practiced together for a week or two and it showed. Well, with no history and familiar team name to root for, they didn't really come back. OKC is a fairly immature hockey market, and with the competition from the Thunder literally across the street in the Chesapeake Arena, it's hard to carve out a space for yourself in the state. Now Oklahoma goes from college football season to NBA season. There is a diehard of 3-5,000 hockey fans in central Oklahoma that really know the sport, but the others are just passers-by that went to Blazers games because it was literally the only thing to do here. Not anymore.

But the fault isn't all on OKC. The Barons came here and, looking at the Blazers' past numbers, figured they wouldn't have to work for butts in seats. WRONG. They've done little to none advertising, TV, etc. It's their second year, but I wonder if some even know there's hockey again here. The team has got to work hard for attendance - and no, having staffers hand out fliers on an off night to Thunder fans walking to an NBA playoff game won't cut it.

They obviously thought they'd set up AAA hockey and the superior talent would sell itself. It's not. This market went to CHL games because of matchups against the Tulsa Oilers and Wichita Thunder and for fights. The play was terrible but that wasn't why they went - they went for fights and to be entertained by the same dead-end guys that filled the roster for years.

It's probably a good thing The Nords didn't move here in the mid-90s and that we just missed out on the last round of expansion (our big-time arena here has a hockey press box at the top of it), as it's just not a mature enough hockey market IMO. It probably would have been in time if the NHL ever came here, but the AHL being here doesn't matter.

Honestly, I think the attendance issues would have been negated had they bought the name Blazers and just called the team the Oklahoma City Blazers. Really. I really believe that. There's no connection between OKC and the Barons yet and if Edmonton isn't going to give us time to acclimate to better hockey in a pro-sports OKC world, then they should just take it to Nunavut or something.
Very well said and I agree completely with your assessment. Watching CHL games was equivalent to a beer league with goons. They should have kept the name. They kept Sauter so why not the name. Hoping the series goes the distance as these are two very evenly matched teams.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:38 PM
OKCDevil

Thanks.

Yeah, the CHL was and is a joke. I hated the league, but was glad there was some sort of hockey here. But yes, it was beer league stuff, which was what the majority of fans here want/could handle. I know the original 60s-era Blazers and later the OKC Stars had some real talent on the teams back in the original CHL days, but the 90s-era CHL was a cashgrab joke.

Glad you agree on the name thing. It just made too much sense. Buy the name Blazers off of Funk, alter the colors to match Edmonton but still have the flaming puck. Then go with the "WEEEEEE'REEEE BAAAAACK!!!" ad campaign and I promise you they would have double the numbers in the seats they do now. I mean, they brought Ben Buckland (announcer) so they should have done that too. Instead, they went with what many believe was the No. 2 name for the Thunder because it had a tie to the world of oil. While it does, it's a terrible name because it's ambiguous to most. Part of me wanted the NBA to lose this season so the Barons could have benefited from the "What else do we have to do?" that the NBA games now fill the answer to.

Edmonton needs to understand how this market has changed and give it 5-6 years. Until I see them really, truly advertise in this town, I can't blame a potential fan base that really isn't mature hockey-wise.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
OKCDevil

Go Barons!

Old
05-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Oillio*
OMB god