HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kypreos: Luongo has asked for a trade (All Luongo talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 03:13 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
I think Edmonton would be a great fit, but don't know what kind of package it would take. Luongo could provide a real stabilizing influence in net which would take pressure off all of the kids.

04-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I think Edmonton would be a great fit, but don't know what kind of package it would take. Luongo could provide a real stabilizing influence in net which would take pressure off all of the kids.
And you don't think Gillis hasn't also thought of this? Trading in the conferance is bad enough. Trading in the division is another matter all together.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:40 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
That Edmonton team has immense talent but also a lot of holes. If they ever get plugged God help the league. I can't see helping to plug one as in the canucks best interests.

Old
04-30-2012, 03:43 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
I have to disagree. Though the cap hit and length of contract are similar, the position each player plays is vastly different and that difference will affect the length of their career in the NHL.

Average prime years of an NHL player is:

Forwards: 25 to 32
Defensemen: 28 to 34
Goalies: 30 to 37

The differences in ages for average prime years is due to a combination of how long it takes the average NHL player to learn and develop the skills needed to play in the NHL at that position and to how much punishment a body can take at that position.

I believe Hossa is in better condition and could exceed the average, but at most that is likely only to be a couple of extra years and he was just sidelined with concussion at the end of this season. Goalies on the other hand are not subjected to the constant hitting that forwards have to endure and Luongo is now only in the mid point of the age of an average NHL fisrt string goalie's prime years. I doubt Gillis would be willing to exchange Luongo for Hossa. A 26 or 28 year old Hossa would have been another matter though.

I still think the Hawk player the Canucks could use the most is Brent Seabrook, paired with Edler.
Their defense isn't strong enough that they can trade Seabrook. Trading Hossa makes sense to them, even though we take on risk of Hossa burning out. $5m for a 50-60 point 2-way guy in 4 years wouldn't be horrible.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Their defense isn't strong enough that they can trade Seabrook. Trading Hossa makes sense to them, even though we take on risk of Hossa burning out. $5m for a 50-60 point 2-way guy in 4 years wouldn't be horrible.
We're in a win now mode anyhow. Hossa over the next three years would be phenomenal either with the Sedins or Kesler. I'd be more than happy to deal Luongo to Chicago for Hossa. Granted, could you imagine if we played them in the playoffs and lost?

Old
04-30-2012, 05:13 AM
dbaz

doesnt matter if the team is in the west or not because if they are interested gillis can go to a team and use the other guys as leverage to get more and create a mini bidding war.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:38 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
IMHO more likely to be Hossa, similar quality players, similar contracts, similar ages. Both sides would be giving up equal value and get equal cap back.
Quote:
My dark horse Luongo trade guess would see a Luongo trade centered around either Brent Seabrook or Patrick Kane.

not even close

really... stop that.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:00 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
luongo wants out, like bure he will go to a small market team, sorry leafs fans but open your eyes,

Old
04-30-2012, 07:00 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
not even close

really... stop that.
You have to give up talent to get talent, or does that not apply in this case?

Old
04-30-2012, 07:17 AM
JuniorNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I'm extremely suprised at some of the teams being mentioned here. IMO, there seem to be only 2 likely possibilities: Toronto and Tampa.

Doesn't Florida have a young goalie that's considered the future?

Columbus isn't going to take someone who will be on the decline before they even think about contending.

Chicago just re-signed Emery and still has crawford. Plus I don't see the Nucks trading Lou there anyway.

Tampa is easily the most logical choice IMO. They have the assets, Florida team, and I think Lou would do better on a team not in the spotlight. I could see something around Malone for Lou happening.
I don't think the Aquilinis will solve all Burke's problems for him with goaltending. They do not owe him any favors. Quite the opposite.

I am inclined to think the two teams in contention are NJ and TB. There may be others, but none in Canada. Besides economics factors, are there any Canadian teams playing right now? Does anybody think Luongo, at thirty-three wants to go to a team that cant get out of the first round? How is he going to get a ring like that?

Old
04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I don't think the Aquilinis will solve all Burke's problems for him with goaltending. They do not owe him any favors. Quite the opposite.

I am inclined to think the two teams in contention are NJ and TB. There may be others, but none in Canada. Besides economics factors, are there any Canadian teams playing right now? Does anybody think Luongo, at thirty-three wants to go to a team that cant get out of the first round? How is he going to get a ring like that?
He is already on a team that couldn't get out of the first round.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
ap3lovr

Just look at the teams with goalie needs. Or that might consider a move.

Toronto
New Jersey
San Jose
Tampa
Edmonton
Columbus
Chicago
Winnipeg
Dallas

There are 2 Vezina caliber goalies likely on the Market this summer. Luongo and Thomas. I think Thomas is the consolation prize right now. It will be interesting to see what return these guys get.

Old
04-30-2012, 07:45 AM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Hawks are most likely not going to trade Seabrook, Kane or Hossa for Luongo. If they are deperately looking for Goaltending help, they will go for Kipper or Thomas or one of the UFAs (Vokoun or Harding) which would cost way less. The difference between Luongo and Thomas/Kipper/Vokoun is not worth giving up one of the core players.

Plus they would have to choose a new goal song

Last edited by RedBaronIndian: 04-30-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old
04-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Luca

Pitsburg for sure. They need good goalie and they have spare centers like Staal for trade.

Old
04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
NYVanfan

this is my fav part of this thread:

"I thought this was the Rumours and Speculation board. Can you point me to the FACTUAL board, please?"

no room for facts here folks, move along please!
lol

Old
04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post

Toronto
New Jersey
San Jose
Tampa
Edmonton
Columbus
Chicago
Winnipeg
Dallas

There are 2 Vezina caliber goalies likely on the Market this summer. Luongo and Thomas. I think Thomas is the consolation prize right now. It will be interesting to see what return these guys get.
Dallas needs a goalie? I suppose Kari's contract is up after next season but they're better off trying to extend him than take on Luongo's contract. He was great this year.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:

Toronto - Possibly
New Jersey - ????
San Jose - ????
Tampa - Possibly
Edmonton - ???
Columbus - ?????????????? - - ????????????
Chicago - ???
Winnipeg - ????
Dallas

[Key: ??? = somewhat unlikely; ???? = unlikely; ?????+ = doubtful]

Dallas: Kari Lehtonen had a real good year and their top prospect is goalie Jack Campbell. Include the self imposed cap in Dallas and you can quickly rule them out.

Winnipeg: Already has a real good young netminder in Pavelec and a good backup in Mason. They may be a dark horse in this race but I'm not entirely sure I see them parting with much to acquire Luongo.

NJ: needs Brodeur to make up his mind on what the future holds for him, the team is already struggling with some cap situations and the ???'s surrounding what Parise will do.

San Jose: Could they move Niemi? I can't see them spending over 9m a year on goalers.

Edmonton: Would Vancouver trade him within the division?

Columbus: Would Luongo waive his NTC to go here?

There's really not many likely buyers. There's even fewer viable options that Luongo would probably waive for. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

As for Thomas. Chia was quoted at the end of the year presser when asked how he views the Bruins goaltending situation: "I view it the same as I did last offseason. Timmy had a good year, not as good as last year but still very good. I've heard a lot of speculation about whether we will trade one of our goalies. In the end I can say I'm not inclined to do that." Take it for what it's worth plus a grain of salt for taste.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
MagicSlap*

Nucks fans think they'll get Nash, Kessel, Hossa or Seabrook for Luongo?

LOL

Old
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
When are people going to learn and understand that saying HOCKEY OPS "lost 30M", which by the way is only an estimate and not a real number, means NOTHING, when the forum you own brings in 5 times that amount in profit.

It's like saying, hey you have to buy this car to get this house. The car will lose value every year but the house will triple on value every year and easily cover the loss of the car you HAD to buy to own the house.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand, I'll never know.
In fairness, that isn't what I am suggesting. Vinik is obviously a pretty smart guy, he is not going to invest in a SINGLE property that is going to lose $30 million a year. He obviously has other properties tied in with the Bolts which, again, ties in to he being a smart guy. He doesn't piss his money away blindly.

My point is he probably got rich with intelligent business decisions, and he isn't going to jump right in on the Luongo sweeps without thinking of the potential return on his investments. This is as much a business decision as a hockey decision for any team making the deal. not just Tampa.

Quote:
And just LOL at some of the crap being thrown around in here. The Lightning WILL NOT give up anything of real value to get Luongo. If they even have any interest at all. Canucks fans are in for a massive massive disappointment
Precisely.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
luongo wants out, like bure he will go to a small market team, sorry leafs fans but open your eyes,
Lol....the same was said about Nash and the Leafs were on his list. If Tampa isn't interested, the Leafs are the next best option IF Van hopes to move him.

Old
04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:

Toronto
New Jersey
San Jose
Tampa
Edmonton
Columbus
Chicago
Winnipeg
Dallas

Luongo's NTC says hi. How many on your list would he go to?

Old
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
And you don't think Gillis hasn't also thought of this? Trading in the conferance is bad enough. Trading in the division is another matter all together.
What if the offer was the 1st overall, straight up?

Old
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
SilverHaireDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
What if the offer was the 1st overall, straight up?
LMFAO, it won't be.

Besides Luongo still has to OK the trade, you think he wants to move to the (according to HF) most horrible city in North America?

The Oilers "respectfully" decline to accept Luongos Horcoff style contract that lasts until 2022.

Replace the word in quotations with any of a Sailor's or Rig hands favorite phrases. (most of them being of the four letter variety)

Old
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

The parity in the league prevents teams from being perennial contenders now. Vancouver, Detriot, Boston (cup winning team last year with an almost identical roster), Chicago, Pittsburgh were all out first round.

And by your logic how come TB is in contention for Luongo? They didn't get by the 2nd round.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Holy Mackinaw

You seem like a pretty rational guy who is passionate about his team, so I get your position, really. No Canuck fan wants to believe Luongo demanded a trade, if he did. Again, I am not suggesting anything of the sort but let me play devil's advocate, with a very realistic scenario:

Quote:
No he didn't come out and say it... but why would you expect him to?
If a story is completely fabricated, like Canuck fans are suggesting that Kypreos did and, to a lesser extend Dan Murphy with his alleged "confirmation", then, yes, I would expect that. This isn't Eklund we are talking about here. This is a pretty well known broadcaster on a national sports network. If I am the GM of any team, and a broadcaster makes a borderline libelous statement about one of my star players, you are damn right I am coming right out and saying "100% untrue. Roberto has not asked for a trade. This is an utter fabrication."

To be fair, Gillis never says anything of the sort and never comes out and says Luongo has not asked for a trade. Canuck fans think otherwise, but where there is smoke, there is usually fire. I know Kypreos is Toronto-based so the natual tendency is to dislike him, but he is, in fact, quite reliable. I notice you say both things below. As for the Dan Murphy confirmation BEFORE Kypreos' tweet, why is no one focusing on that?

Quote:
He doesn't want to give the media any information, and as you know with the media in Toronto, Vancouver is no less rabid when it comes to hockey.
Totally agree. I have family in BC, and have lived there in the past. Love the place. But that kind of makes my point for me. If you are Gillis and a national media member in either Toronto or Vancouver completely fabricates a "story", do you not refute it definitively? Gillis has a lot riding on the trading on one of his goaltenders. Why let this linger out there? But again, look at his quote again. He never says that, but essentially tiptoes around the question with no definitive confirmation either way. Again, I am just offering a suggestion. These points are not insignificant.

Quote:
Gillis doesn't want to talk about it until he's talked to Luongo (and likely to ownership) and know what cards he's dealing with.. as he said he's going to take a few days with that before he knows exactly where he (and everyone else) stands.
Canuck fans, for the most part, seem to think Kypreos is BSing about his tweet where Luongo has demanded a trade. That is fine. But let's remember the timeframe of all this.

On Tuesday, Luongo goes on camera and, the classy guy that he is, says all the right things. "if I'm back, great", "Do what's best for the team..." etc.

He goes in to his exit meeting after the aforementioned interview (which, judging by the **** storm that followed, was sometime Wednesday), the day after the interview.

What if Luongo says in the exit meeting "I need to get out of here, I am no longer the guy" and asks to be traded. I mean, is that not just as feasible as saying Kypreos made **** up, which is not his track record?

Quote:
All we know right now is that Luongo has himself said that he hasn't demanded to be traded (and we know this because he's said that he'd have no problem with continuing being a Canuck next season, and still thinks very highly of the club),
But we don't know that. Luongo's media interview was Tuesday, Murphy confirmed there would be a list Wednesday night and Kypreos did this infamous tweet Thursday morning. I have no idea why Kypreos would just make something up with confirmation of some sort. That could get him fired in a hurry.

Don't read too much into Luongo's comments in the media. As you mention, Vancouver media can be as rabid as Toronto (and trust me, I have my own issues with some of the clowns here). Despite being treated pretty unfairly by the media and a pretty large percentage of the fanbase, the guy has always stayed classy. Why, now, would he say "Well, my time looks to be over here, so I want out of Vancouver." Has that ever been his M.O. in Vancouver? Of course not.

Luongo probably loves the city and most of its fans. I have no doubt he thinks highly of the club. The team has treated him quite well. But he can also think highly of the club while realizing he is no longer the guy.

Before Vancouver fans jump all over me, please remember I am not suggesting that is what went down, but it is just as logical as blaming Kypreos of making **** up. No one can say with 100% certainty that Luongo has, or has not, demanded a trade unless they were in this meeting Wednesday following the media interview.

Quote:
and we also know that Gillis has said that he has no idea where all this Luongo demanding a trade talk is coming from
That is not what he said. He says he has no idea how "the reports" got "out there."
Quote:
Weve met, but weve decided well take our time and talk in the next few days over the phone, Gillis told the TEAM 1040. Im not quite sure why something like that (the reports) would be out there.
That could just as easily mean how the hell did this information get out there? Who has the big mouth?

Quote:
So when the player who apparently "demanded a trade" says himself that he'd be happy returning next season,
In a media interview the day before. Of course Lu is going to say that. What else will he say? He loves the city, most of the fans and has always operated with class. Why burst that bubble now? If Luongo demands a trade, the public, by way of the media, is not going to know before Gillis.

Quote:
why would (or should) there be any expectation on Gillis to refute a statement that, according to the player, was never made?
Because the statement by Kypreos is a complete fabrication? Someone like Eklund is one thing, you don't give a ****. But when a guy like Kypreos says it, do you not react as a general manager? Can you imagine if Simmons did that in Toronto? Burke would lose his mind.

Anyway, again, I am not suggesting Luongo asked for a trade or that I trust what Kypreos said. But everyone out west is hanging onto Gillis' every word and treating it as gospel, much like Luongo's media interview the day before all this went down.

There is a very real possibility that Luongo and Gillis sat down the day after this media interview, Lu said his future is not in Vancouver and would like a trade, and they ageed that Luongo is going to submit a list this week.

If there is a "list", a fact that Dan Murphy and Darren Dreger both confirm is forthcoming, it's pretty obvious one or the other made the request. Seeing how Schneider has not even been signed, I am not convinced Gillis would be the one asking about it just a couple of days after his team was eliminated from the playoffs.

So bottom line, is this not realistic? :

Luongo says all the right things in his media interview Tuesday when he is asked about his future because, well, that is just the way the guy is.

Gillis and Luongo sit down in the exit meeting (later Tuesday, or Wednesday) and Luongo lets it all out. Maybe he gets emotional. He is a proud guy. He is not coming back to play second fiddle to Schneider. Maybe he sees Schneider as the future, a point that was driven home when Lu sat on the bench for three of the five games of the LA series, including two elimation games? Maybe is sick of being treated as as scapegoat in Vancouver? Maybe he just feels it's time for a fresh start.

With one or all of these reasons in mind,he tells Gillis he is no longer the go-to guy and that he wants a trade out of Vancouver. They agree to meet up this week to see which teams Luongo would be willing to go to so Gillis can start laying the groundwork? Murphy, the Canucks voice for Sportsnet, gets this confirmation of the list Wednesday night, maybe from Luongo or Lupien himself. Kypreos follows up with his sources (and one would be foolish to think he doesn't have a lot of legitimate sources) and finds out that his colleague Murphy in Vancouver is not only right about this pending "list", but that Luongo himself asked to be traded. He then breaks this new twist (and a shocking one at that) at 7:30 on a Thursday morning. Shocked that the news is out there already, Gillis goes in full damage control with the media.

Really, is that out of the realm of possibility?

No one knows for sure if Lu demanded a trade. No one knows if he didn't. But, in your own words, where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Kypreos doesn't have a reputation of making **** up like some other rumour mongers we know (cough, Eklund, cough).

Kypreos and Dreger have a heated little battle going between them. In fact, Kypreos called Dreger out last year when Dreger shot down one of his reports in public. Kypreos said a McCabe trade to the Rangers was close, Dreger said it wasn't. Kypreos lost it before taking the tweet down, saying "hate those "******* at TSN try to discredit me all the time."

Lo and behold, guess who was traded to the Rangers a few hours later?

I think Kypreos might be closer to the truth than Vancouver fans want to believe.

Flat-out making a story up is a quick way for Kypreos to lost all credibility, which is essentially career suicide.

Last edited by Holy Mackinaw: 04-30-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Closed Thread