HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner...

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Beginner...

Im usually the goalie when we play street hockey. I must im very interested in this sports. I have the habbit of getting good at anything i keep my mind on for a while and practise. Im 18 and im fairly new to the country.

I live in Scarborough. Can you guys recommend me somewhere i can get coaching or lessons. I'll do whatever it takes...please and thank you...

Old
12-27-2004, 01:55 AM
Predshockey17

With out paying alot of money. Assuming you have all the gear. Your best bet is to find a rink and go to drop in. That is the way I learned. I loved it.

Old
12-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

thanks

Old
12-27-2004, 06:01 PM
It Kills Me

Check out Canlan Ice Sports, its at Passmore and Markham rd. (near Steeles) I learned there, and was pretty affordable. I got in for free, I know alot of the people who work there.

Old
12-27-2004, 06:50 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Check out Canlan Ice Sports, its at Passmore and Markham rd. (near Steeles) I learned there, and was pretty affordable. I got in for free, I know alot of the people who work there.
I play shinny there all the time (when I'm home from University). Shinny is free for goalies and its twice everyday except not on Saturdays and only midnight on Sundays.

Old
12-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Get some basic lessons, like a proper stance and how to move around (shuffle, T-glide).......then get on the ice as much as you can. It's how most of us learned. Then from time to time go to an instructor and he'll fix whatever you're doing wrong.

Don't get discouraged, keep trying and you'll improve 10-fold the first two to three years.

Good luck.

Old
12-27-2004, 07:54 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Jim Lahey
Get some basic lessons, like a proper stance and how to move around (shuffle, T-glide).......then get on the ice as much as you can. It's how most of us learned. Then from time to time go to an instructor and he'll fix whatever you're doing wrong.

Don't get discouraged, keep trying and you'll improve 10-fold the first two to three years.

Good luck.
I just started skating 1year ago on December 23rd '04, I have to say that the older you are say 13+ the more quickly you will master skating. With a instructor you should learn quite quickly, Shinny and public skates will help out alot too.

For me Shinny helped my movement, like side to side, transition, game time skills.

Public Skates, although frowned upon help out you speed, cross overs, and stopping (i hit a few people while learning, went really fast and couldnt stop)

And Davey, I've went to Canlan a few times...where do I sign up to try out for a league, I've heard they have a YHL and 3on3 league.

Old
12-27-2004, 09:43 PM
DaveyCrockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
I just started skating 1year ago on December 23rd '04, I have to say that the older you are say 13+ the more quickly you will master skating. With a instructor you should learn quite quickly, Shinny and public skates will help out alot too.

For me Shinny helped my movement, like side to side, transition, game time skills.

Public Skates, although frowned upon help out you speed, cross overs, and stopping (i hit a few people while learning, went really fast and couldnt stop)

And Davey, I've went to Canlan a few times...where do I sign up to try out for a league, I've heard they have a YHL and 3on3 league.
Depends how old you are. Signup for summer leagues starts in Feb. Just call the front desk at icesports or drop by and grab a brochure. If you are 18+, you can play in the ASHL. If not, you can do 3v3. If you are 15/16/17 and still want to play ASHL (at either D level or rec level), you need your parents to sign a waiver. I would say that going to stick and puck is the fastest way to improve, along with shinny. I also started skating last December and now I am struggling to get my puck skills caught up as I didn't spend enough time practicing passing and puck handling. I will be playing on a summer team in D level on either Wed or Fri nights (my team hasn't decided yet).

Old
12-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Thanks guys, i appreciate this.

Closed Thread